PDA

View Full Version : Wolves in North Thompson

4 point
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Here is an interesting article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/01/30/bc-wolf-attack-livestock.html

Looks like the ranchers, deer and moose in Reg 3 need a hand taking some wolves out.

Matty_ola
01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm in... But I'm gonna new the ranchers to toss in some gas money please:)

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 02:45 PM
go getem boys.

russm86
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
But according to David Suzuki, wolves in BC are in danger and need our help!! lol. Yes, I actually heard him talk about this on his little radio bit he does... Believe it or not a while after that one he actually said something about "we should be doing our part to protect the black bears in BC"... Seriously? Has this guy taken a walk in the woods here in the last 10 years? All there is now is wolves and bears.... lol.

adamgarbett
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
But according to David Suzuki, wolves in BC are in danger and need our help!! lol. Yes, I actually heard him talk about this on his little radio bit he does... Believe it or not a while after that one he actually said something about "we should be doing our part to protect the black bears in BC"... Seriously? Has this guy taken a walk in the woods here in the last 10 years? All there is now is wolves and bears.... lol.

Good old tree huggers

Matty_ola
01-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd like to do my environmental part by making sweet love to that queen of green mr Suzuki has working for him;) .....woohoo mama.....

For environmental purposes of course

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I'd like to do my environmental part by making sweet love to that queen of green mr Suzuki has working for him;) .....woohoo mama.....

For environmental purposes of course

pics would be a good thing.
maybe in the woman appreciation thread

91Jason91
01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
go f em up boys

BlacktailStalker
01-30-2012, 05:43 PM
That's funny, she thinks the cows hide so the wolves can't see them, like that's how they usually hunt.
Pretty easy to hire a private trapper or have the trapper that holds the line to that area focus more on your neck of the woods, if they're willing to pay... That's the last thing that should happen, wolves being allowed to take livestock at their will becuse the pay out is equivalent to market value, they'd rely less and less on ungulates as time goes on.

Str8shooterbc
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM

I wonder if Wolves and Bears will dine on Suzukis?

Livewire322
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM
we are taking a beating on that post boys LET THE MUD FLY!!!! dont hold back! ive commented, and cant stop shaking my head at the "build better fences comments" :roll: :shock:

Big Lew
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Wolves have been an increasing problem on the eastern Cariboo Plateau for several years now. When we had a cottage on the north-west side of Bridge Lake years ago, the local ranchers were voicing their concerns, and were pulling their cattle in off grazing leases early in an effort to reduce their losses. I was flyfishing on East King Lake one early morning and had 2 packs serenading me, one of each side of the lake. You couldn't walk very far along trails bordering water without seeing scats and footprints.

Jelvis
01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Probably wild dogs mixed with domestic and coyotes, the ranch woman probably just moved in from some where and hasn't got a clue, no wolves in Louis Creek before til she got there imho. Vandamme even said so.
Jp .. Crying wolf to get government compensation, happens all the time ..

lovemywinchester
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
This was one of the comments on that article:
I spoke to a range farmer in the Chilcotin last fall. He told me that the ranchers don't want to get rid of the wolves as much as they want the government to pay them market value for the lost beef instead of the 25% that they get now. He also suggested that the ranchers were going to start getting it in the news to put pressure on the government to increase the payoff.

Now I don't mind the ranchers taking care of their livestock by shooting the wolves on their own property (not leased crown land as that belongs to everyone), but are taxpayers really paying 25% of market value with our tax dollars for every cow that they don't look after?

Maybe Jelly is right. Hey Jelvis, lets take a drive up there and check it out, its only 50 km. No photos, I promise.

250 sav
01-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Jelvis the wolves are there. I've seen them (shot, trapped and running across the fields)
By the way that ranch women is my sister.

Jelvis
01-30-2012, 09:01 PM
hey 250 I hope you get those wolves then, good luck, and the best to your sister and her ranch, it's a wonderful area.
jelly Bean

Livewire322
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Jelvis the wolves are there. I've seen them (shot, trapped and running across the fields)
By the way that ranch women is my sister.

Well im up in the savona area often so if you want a hand in killing those pesky dogs send me a pm

dana
01-30-2012, 09:24 PM
2 Wolves on the river this morning just south of Little Fort.

pnbrock
01-30-2012, 09:35 PM
there are a shit load in area saw so many tracks and poop on the logging road after a snow fall ,honestly couldnt tell how many so much track.

.300wsm
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
The way I see it these ranchers should be giving some permission to hunt. reaching out and accommodating to the hunters. post on there sign's how to contact them or a sign saying it's cool to shoot wolves, coyote's what have you cause if your lucky enough to see them once they ain't going to stand there and wait for you to track down who own's what and how to find them. Until others and I start getting permission no sympathy from me, it's just a ploy to get subsidies let the wolves eat cattle cause I sure in the hell don't the wolves will eventually die from that S&*T anyway. So any ranchers want me to shoot some dogs let me know cause I'm ready to roll.

horshur
01-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I wish there was an official person who could give you all the layout cause alot of your comments show that you don't know what you don't know....what I have heard is second hand and i've a poor memory for numbers anyway...there are some good trappers who catch regular....Co's have done mitigation work......I think you all would be shocked if you knew the real the numbers.

bowhunterbruce
02-02-2012, 06:08 AM
hey horshur,
you must know of a spot or two around your neck of the woods,feel like getting out in the anytime soon.
bhb

blacklab
02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
You're making me dizzy tying to keep up on tow threads on the same article.

bowhunterbruce
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
You're making me dizzy tying to keep up on tow threads on the same article.

have a peek at this then lol

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?63511-The-female-appreciation-thread

horshur
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
hey horshur,
you must know of a spot or two around your neck of the woods,feel like getting out in the anytime soon.
bhb

Bruce there are three or four that go through here every few weeks last couple years regular like I have never seen anything more then tracks in nearly 20 years I've lived here...they range as far as poison up into the nehalston and beyond I do not know how far west...

It would be a waste of fuel.

Jelvis
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I would suggest getting in touch with CO Vandame in Clearwater, he is the best predator control guy around.
He knows more about predator control than any one around according to the news casts I've seen.
Jp .. Go and see the man .. or phone or some how .. Jean Claude is his cousin ..

dana
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Those 2 wolves were less than 2 mins from Horshur's driveway a couple days ago. They had a large yote cornered out on the thin ice. The yote survived, as I have seen him everyday since. Yesterday he was playing with Horshur's neighbour's horses. My co-worker thought he saw one of the wolves a little further south tonight. Would be hard to kill as there is a lot of houses and property there. You'd have to knock on everyone's door for permission and then hunt by driving the highway back and forth. Not a easy wolf hunt.
I had fresh tracks up off the Beaverhut off the Jamison 2 mornings ago. First wolf sign I've seen up there all winter. Normally I see the wolf sign on the Darlington. Saw a wolf 3 seperate times on the Darlington this fall. I had the rifle with me 2 of those times but that wolf was damn quick. Those that think wolf hunting is easy haven't hunted them in this timbered country. You just get fleeting glimpses and then they are gone.
I was up at the Clearwater dump last weekend. 3 sets of wolf tracks on the pavement. The moose have finally arrived and the wolves are hot on their trails. And no, Jelly, these ain't dog crosses. :)

Jagermeister
02-02-2012, 10:06 PM
At the BCWF Region 3 meeting in December, one of the regional biologist acknowledged that there was an increasing wolf presence in throughout the northern part and appeared to be moving southward.
When I was sledding in the Tranquille Plateau a few years ago, they were there and as the snow depth increased forcing the moose to lower elevations, the wolves were following.
I noticed that the wolves really like the nicely packed sled trails, regular highway for them. You never see the wolves during the daytime, probably too many sleds, but lay a track over their's and come back in the morining and they have laid a fresh set of their's over your's.
Dana posted,

Those that think wolf hunting is easy haven't hunted them in this timbered country. You just get fleeting glimpses and then they are gone.
I'll second that notion. I think they have ESP and sense when a person has a rifle.
However, after viewing those vid clips of H47, maybe a person should try howling them in. I know it was twilight when those responded to him, but if a person planted their butt in a new clearcut and tried the howling, who knows?

dana
02-02-2012, 10:13 PM
I have howled and talked to many wolves before. Getting them to answer is easy. Getting them to come in is the tuff part. The only wolf I've ever killed I howled it in. I have howled others in but somehow they knew I didn't have a rifle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Wildlife%20Pics/th_April12Wolf.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Wildlife%20Pics/?action=view&current=April12Wolf.mp4)