PDA

View Full Version : PACK"S what do you think of the OX by Badlands ?

vortex hunter
01-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Hey Everyone

I was doing some looking around for a better pack then the Military one I have .. I want to BUY ONE PACK ..Only ONE to do it ALL .. Pack meat clothes all your camping stuff But be nice to wear on your back and NOT FEEL LIKE CR_P .. anyways I was looking AT THE BADLANDS " OX " rigid pack does anyone have one thoughts PRO"S / CONS .... if anyone has a Used one they want to sell PM me ...:-D

Devilbear
01-29-2012, 11:52 PM
I have carefully examined a couple at Italian Sports and had an original Badlands 4500 from 1996 to 1999, I am not overly impressed by the "Ox" and think that there are better alternatives. But, if you like it, that is what really counts as you will be carrying it.

For ONE pack to do it all, the best I have ever found is the Mystery Ranch NICE frame-6500 bag combo, with some accessory pockets. These are not "cheap", but, are as solid as a rock, super comfortable under heavy loads and built for serious hunting. I have two of them and have nothing but good to report after using them.

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I have carefully examined a couple at Italian Sports and had an original Badlands 4500 from 1996 to 1999, I am not overly impressed by the "Ox" and think that there are better alternatives. But, if you like it, that is what really counts as you will be carrying it.

For ONE pack to do it all, the best I have ever found is the Mystery Ranch NICE frame-6500 bag combo, with some accessory pockets. These are not "cheap", but, are as solid as a rock, super comfortable under heavy loads and built for serious hunting. I have two of them and have nothing but good to report after using them.

And were do's a man try on a mystery ranch nice frame-6500 bag out in the lower mainland ? I would rather by a good used one instead of buying a new one and hating it....

coach
01-30-2012, 12:17 AM

Great post, DB. I always appreciate your equiplment advice. Two questions: what did you dislike about the Ox? How did you like your Badlands 4500? I own a Superday and a 4500. The day pack gets used all the time and has served my needs quite well. Unfortunately, I haven't had much opportunity to put the 4500 to use - but plan to next fall.

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 12:24 AM
The mystery ranch nice frame-6500 combo pack looks very Nice ..yeah like coach said what didnt you like about the OX and whats the best part of the mystery ranch pack...?

Weatherby Fan
01-30-2012, 12:28 AM
And were do's a man try on a mystery ranch nice frame-6500 bag out in the lower mainland ? I would rather by a good used one instead of buying a new one and hating it....

I also have 2 MR Nice frames and a 6500 bag on one and a 4500 bag on the other, your more than welcome to drop by and try one on as I live in Maple Ridge.
You won't find a more comfortable pack.
WF

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 12:38 AM
I also have 2 MR Nice frames and a 6500 bag on one and a 4500 bag on the other, your more than welcome to drop by and try one on as I live in Maple Ridge.
You won't find a more comfortable pack.
WF

THANKS PM sent...

Skull Hunter
01-30-2012, 09:32 AM
I was in this same boat back in the spring. Initially when I started looking for packs I was leaning towards to Ox, but as I did more research I ended up settling for an Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly. So far I have been very impressed, the harness adjust very nicely to get a good fit and you can carry some pretty heavy loads quite comfortably.

I chose the eberlestock for it's versatility. I also wanted an "all in one pack" that could be used both as a day pack and for extended trips. When in it's smallest option the pack has ample room for a day pack and gear can be organized quite well. If you get something on the ground the expandability is great and loads can be easily secured. If heading out for a multi-day trek zip on one of the duffel bags (sold separately) and you've got plenty of room. One word of advise though, if you choose to zip on the duffel, make sure it is packed with light items like clothing otherwise the weight distribution can be pretty off as it sits quite far from your back.

Take a look at the eberlestock site, they have lots of videos that give you an idea about what you're getting.

Slee
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Hey Everyone

I was doing some looking around for a better pack then the Military one I have .. I want to BUY ONE PACK ..Only ONE to do it ALL .. Pack meat clothes all your camping stuff But be nice to wear on your back and NOT FEEL LIKE CR_P .. anyways I was looking AT THE BADLANDS " OX " rigid pack does anyone have one thoughts PRO"S / CONS .... if anyone has a Used one they want to sell PM me ...:-D

Save yourself a lot of trouble down the road and skip over the OX and go with the MR NICE system. Get the frame and either the 6500 or 7500 bag. The load sling is a nice addition to have but not necessary, it will keep you from having blood all over your 6500 bag when hauling meat. The 6500 bag is large enough to fit moose quarters in, I hauled out two bull moose with mine this fall. Yes the frame and bag are on the heavy side compared to some of the other packs out there, but it makes up for it in it's strength and the way it handles heavy loads.

MR's customer service is top notch. I busted a strap on my load sling (100% my fault) they fixed it on their dime and had it back to me in less then a month.

snareman1234
01-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Hard to beat MR, I have a Nice frame with 7500 bag...Haven't looked back

huntcoop
01-30-2012, 10:18 AM
I bought my MR Dragonslayer pack last year and it is flawless, most comfortable pack I've ever worn. Packed out my deboned mulie in it with no issues. I wanted a daypack with meat hauling capabilities so I followed some advice from a few guys on here, bought a Dragonslayer and haven't looked back, incredible pack.

Devilbear
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I introduced the MR packs here a few years ago and some guys bought them on my recommendation and I had a number of HBC members come to my home to check out my packs and some other gear before spending their bux on such costly items. I will no longer do this, however, given the number of MR user/owners here, you need not take merely my recommendation as many now have these packs and seem very satisfied with them.

Coach, there were a number of issues with the "Ox" and the Badlands 4500 that I had was the original US-made model and they custom-sized it for me by telephone. It was a good pack, but, too complicated and the ones made in Asia for the past decade do not compare in quality or design, but, are "cheaper". I have one for hunting Texada, but, since I seldom actually go there, I have not really used it much.

I just sold two packs and may sell a couple more and some tents, as well, as I ain't getting any younger and may never use all of the gear I have...or, the rifles that keep "multiplying" in my safes. If, you are close to my home in East Van, I would be happy to fit you using some of my gear and you can go from there and order as you wish. I need 4-5 days notice to do this.

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I watched all the vid's on MR Nicepack-7500 combo and still dont know were I buy them out here or do I have to buy them online only ?

Slee
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Online or ebay..... If your close to the border just have it shipped to one of the US boarder stores.. Take up the offer by Weatherby Fan and have a look at his packs. He is a great guy!

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Yeah Slee I am waiting on a call from Weatherby Fan today sometime to meet up and check out his packs..

Matty_ola
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
I own the kuiu 6000 and love it but I've never owned the MR packs so I can't comment on those. The kuiu pack is super light and adjustable in every way to fit you perfect no matter the load or weight.

Might be something to consider

Devilbear
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Just call MR and order directly from them, it takes about two weeks for the pack to land in Vancouver andm having bought almost a dozen Dana Gleason designed and built packs since 1978, I will say that nothing else comes close for quality and functionality. MR customer service is better than ANYONE in the entire backpack-mountain gear industry and they will fit you correctly on the phone.

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks Devilbear to bad that didnt have a lightly used section lol but new is always good .....

Buck
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
With all the talk on here about the MR packs i bought the MR Kodiak internal frame pack and love it.These are built to last and can carry heavy loads.

todbartell
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
another vote for MR6500. I sold my Ox to help pay for the MR. No regrets

Shuswap guy
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I have a MR crew-cab and it's the best pack I've ever owned. Period. I've packed moose quarters and small deer out in them. Won't get a nicer pack than MR.

shed-hunter1
01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
i use the ox for shed hunting works good when you get a load of sheds if you look on youtube theres a good review on the ox pack

vortex hunter
01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
The mystery Ranch Packs Kinda looking very Nice it's hard to figure out were and what to do.......

huntcoop
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
The mystery Ranch Packs Kinda looking very Nice it's hard to figure out were and what to do.......

So far you have had 12 people suggest a product with 8 of those being for a MR pack...it's really a no brainer.

vortex hunter
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah well your NOT the one having to make up your mind....

huntcoop
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah well your NOT the one having to make up your mind....

Like I said, I went through the same thing as you last year. I bought a MR as suggested by MANY on this site and I've never worn a more comfortable pack. It's really a no brainer.

houndogger
01-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Borrowed a Barney last season...partner had a MR. I will be buying the MR this year as the barney is just a expensive run of the mill cabelas external frame pack.

vortex hunter
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Well I am meeting a fellow off this site tonight to try out his two MR packs and will go from there ....

ryanb
01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
In my opinion the Mystery Ranch pack is a bit too heavy. At almost 10 pounds just for the pack, you're making your total load a lot heavier than it needs to be. I have ordered the Kifaru Timberline, which is a 7200ci pack weighing in at just over 5 pounds and it should arrive within a week or two. I will report on the pack once it arrives. I honestly believe with the technology and materials out there nowadays, there is no reason a pack should weigh an ounce over 6 pounds, even for a 7000-7500ci pack. If you're going on a 2 week sheep hunt, lugging around an extra 4-5 pounds for that entire hunt REALLY adds up. Granted, once you have a sheep/goat down, that 10 pound pack is likely to be a little more comfortable for the pack out, but everything is a compromise right? With the recent developments of more and more solid lightweight packs, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mystery Ranch follow suit soon.

Devilbear
01-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, my personal experience with Mystery Ranch-Dana Design goes back to the late '70s, when Dana's label was "Kletterwerks" and I still have my original pack I bought from him, the first of a dozen of his packs bought from then to 2007. I have NEVER had a QC issue or functional problem with one of his packs in all of that time. I have had many other packs, as well, and usually used my packs constantly in the BC and AB bush for work as well as recreation and Dana's are the ONLY packs I can say that about.

I bought about 5K worth of Kifaru gear from 2005 to 2007, including two fully rigged large packs. I had many QC issues and real problems with one pack that cost me as much as my most expensive MR packs. I found that Kifaru customer service was mediocre and their gear is not even close to the claims they make. I do not care what pack anyone buys, I can afford any gear I want and have use a LOT for many years, but, I would never buy another pack from Kifaru and I know several other experienced guys who hold the same opinion, after use.

No, the ultralight packs will NOT perform or last like MR and older Dana Design packs will, why do you see so many of them for sale, slightly used, on various hunting forums and very few MRs by comparison? Opinions are fine, but, longterm actual use is a better basis for making sound decisions in all aspects of life, hunting gear included.

The lightest 7000-7500 ci packs currently available are the "Full Dyneema" expedition packs made by Dan McHale and these are simply fabulous, friends of mine have bought and used them extensively, at my suggestion and rave about them. They also cost about 2K, landed in BC and thus I do not recommend them here as a lot of guys are younger, have kids and cannot afford them. So, as even these weigh over 7 lbs, ready to go and most heavyload capable packs run 9-11 lbs, the MRs are in the "ballpark". There are LOTS of reasons to build packs that weigh considerably more than 6 lbs. and MR builds them to work and last, as mine have for many years.

No offence intended here, but, I doubt that Dana Gleason will ever make U/L packs of the Kuiu and Kifaru type.

rifleman
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
I will be ordering my MR 6500 this week. Sounds like the pack to have. If anyone knows of a good used one for sale. pls let me know. I'm 5'9" 34 waist. so a large will be to big........ PM me pls. Thanx

huntcoop
01-31-2012, 11:56 AM
.... Granted, once you have a sheep/goat down, that 10 pound pack is likely to be a little more comfortable for the pack out, but everything is a compromise right....

The one thing I would not want to compromise is comfort.

BromBones
01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I carried an OX pack for approx. 300 km last season, not including the 4-5 months of training hikes 3-4 times per week.

It carries the weight exceptionally well and is very comfortable. The meat shelf is a thing of beauty. Twice last fall I packed a load of meat + camp on it (probably around 120 lbs) and it handles that weight nicely, because the weight is snug against your back. Packing 100 + lbs is never fun, but a shitty pack can make it unbearable. No issues with the OX. The rigid frame, with the holes along the rails, is also great for tying on awkward stuff like a set of caribou antlers.

The volume is on the small side, but I did a couple twelve day backpack trips last year with it, which is the absolute max I could fit without adding extra volume dry bags. Have to be a little smarter with how you pack for the longer trips, but you can do it. If a one week trip is the most you'll ever do, the volume is perfect.

I had to mix and match the sizing on it though. I needed the large harness, but the waistbelt was too big and would not tighten up. Ordered a medium waistbelt (at no charge) and it fits perfect. If you're a fairly big guy without the big gut, then the medium waist/large harness works perfect.

Devilbear
01-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Good report, and that level of training, which I usually do and am just getting back into as my wife is getting healthier every day so I can now get back out, will soon take care of the "big guy-big gut" problem, eh! :)

I keep both meduim and large belts for my main packs as I prefer the larger one in winter camping when wearing a down or Primaloft jacket. This is a good idea and also buying spare parts like a waistbelt as these wear fast and it means your fitted, comfortable pack will last longer and it costs less than a replacement, as well.

BromBones
01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
will soon take care of the "big guy-big gut" problem, eh! :)

Time for me to start hitting the hills again too. Couple more months of slacking like I been doing, and that large waistbelt might just fit.

vortex hunter
01-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Yup gotta start hitting the trails up and down packing the pack around ... the best part is I quite smoking so it will be easier to breath...

2tins
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Check out Mystery Ranch packs. They're awsome.

vortex hunter
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Well Just met with Weatherby Fan and tried on his mystery ranch pack and it was amazing I think I would do the Nice frame -7500 bag with the water bottle holder ...

troutseeker
01-31-2012, 07:11 PM
YOu wont be sorry if you get a MR. I have a 6500 and a Crewcab, great packs.

todbartell
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
check out the RipZip pocket to attach to the side of your 7500 bag too if you want a 5oz add-on that will increase capacity by 300 cu in

ianwuzhere
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
I agree the ox is max 12 days for its size. I packed out some very heavy loads with mine this year. estimate 150 pounds-(2 guys to load)=very heavy- never had any issues with the pack. very durable. I dont see myself buying another pack. Love the waist pockets. If your someone who likes to go on a few week adventures this pack will be too small but for a week its perfect. I agree with the meat hauler option on it-worked great for me..

hunter#1_300
01-31-2012, 09:00 PM
I have a eberlystock blue widow, have packed out 6 sheep and a goat(works alsome for packing a set of horns) and with 100 pounds on ure back its not verry comfortable. I hunt alot with horses so it works good enough to get back to the horses with a load but wouldnt use it for a backpack trip but is alright for day trips or a couple days. I am also going to upgrade and get a MR for my backing trips. Any guys jump on horse with a MR pack? does it ride to low and hit the horse or does it stay up high enough that its not going to soar there backs?

Devilbear
01-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Based on relatively little wilderness horse experience, only three week to two week trips in northern BC and the Chilcotin, but, as posted a lot of MR experience, I think that you would be OK with the NICE packs on a saddle, but, it is dicey with any real load inside. I had a "3-day assault pack: from MR for horsepacking and it was fine, but, my buddy talked me out of it....he does this with a lot of my gear and guns, but, real friends are so rare in life, that it is good with me.

For regular horse trips, where keeping your emerg. camp on your back at all times is a damned good plan, I would and may buy a "Bighorn" with "Ripzip" and Fliptop pockets from MR, this is just re-issued and is one super 1-2 day pack for light loads to 50 lbs. One of these and a NICE 7500 for a guide is about as good as it gets and they last like no other packs I have seen.

Buck
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I agree the ox is max 12 days for its size. I packed out some very heavy loads with mine this year. estimate 150 pounds-(2 guys to load)=very heavy- never had any issues with the pack. very durable. I dont see myself buying another pack. Love the waist pockets. If your someone who likes to go on a few week adventures this pack will be too small but for a week its perfect. I agree with the meat hauler option on it-worked great for me..

I do like the Ox as well i spent a lot of time looking one over and it has quite a few handy features and looks well made.

vortex hunter
01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah the OX looks Great BUT BUT ater trying on a MR 4500 and a 6500 today It's calling Me more to go with the MR .... I probley will get the NICE 7500 pack

ianwuzhere
01-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I have never tried on any mr packs... Wish more stores locally stocked stuff like that so one could "investigate".. :)

todbartell
02-01-2012, 12:10 AM
You probably wouldn't like the price tag if local shops stocked Mystery Ranch packs :D since they'd be buying them for retail and marking them up accordingly. Lots of local HBC members have MR packs so it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on one

ROEBUCK
02-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I have never tried on any mr packs... Wish more stores locally stocked stuff like that so one could "investigate".. :)

I can imagine it now !
(customer) how much for the mr pack ?
(salesman ) er $1200 plus 6 months for shipping ! LOL

vortex hunter
02-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah the MR is king now just gotta get mine ........

huntcoop
02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Good choice.

ryanb
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Lots of people are happy with the MR, and it is a nice pack. But I still think its too heavy. A pack should be built to be comfortable with a normal load and ABLE to handle a big load of camp+dead animal, not the other way around. But that's one man's opinion. Personally I took the road of saving 4 pounds of pack weight, because 98% of the time I don't have a dead animal on my back and it makes more sense to pick a pack accordingly. Time will tell if I made a mistake.

Devilbear
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
It doesn't work that way and the extra 2-4 lbs. of a truely capable pack will never be noticed when packing an elk quarter or full load of boned meat. You don't have the control, the comfort or the safety in an U/L pack under such loads that a MR gives you.

But, the Kifaru gang are damned good at marketing and promoting their average-quality products as far better than they are. Each to his own, but, after my experiences with them/their gear, I would not take a K-pack as a gift.

ryanb
02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
It's almost like you didn't actually read my post. I admit the MR is probably much more capable than a lighter pack with a dead animal on your back, but like I said, 98% of the time I don't have one there. Everyone else's mileage may vary.

Devilbear
02-01-2012, 01:56 PM
I carefully read your post three times before posting my comments and merely stated what I and a number of very experienced mountain workers, hunters, climbers and guides I know have found in our decades of using packs. You NEED the capability and it is not viable to try to do without it. However, I am not trying to argue with or offend you, I just wanted to help.

I have carried very heavy loads, several per week, for months on end, working alone in the mountains of BC and AB., this includes four foot full propane bottles, 10 gallon steel cream cans full of water and cordwood and my share of game, as well. I long ago found that the light packs would disintegrate under load and at the worst possible time. So, I got wise and now use MR packs and can carry 100lbs, in comfort at age 65. That's all, no harm, no foul.

BromBones
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Agree with Devilbear. Saving a few pounds of initial pack weight means nothing, assuming you're in good enough shape to be backpacking at all.

What if you had two choices of loaded packs - one weighs 120 lbs, but does not handle the weight well, may be uncomfortable, and may break under the load. The other pack weighs slightly more at 125 lbs, but will be comfortable with that weight and is proven to stand up to the abuse. You have to carry the pack you choose for 25 km.

Which one do you take? :)

todbartell
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
why bother with a back pack when you can get one of these, pictured here with Jelvis

http://www.ski-epic.com/2009_deer_hunting_fort_peck_montana/p57s_brian_with_his_deer_on_cart.jpg

Buck
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
why bother with a back pack when you can get one of these, pictured here with Jelvis

http://www.ski-epic.com/2009_deer_hunting_fort_peck_montana/p57s_brian_with_his_deer_on_cart.jpg

Saw one like that but it had a motorcycle tire and a handbrake .Would work well for side hilling back down a game or horse trail.

Jagermeister
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
I think that Eberlestock packs have more versatility and cost less.

RHkootenay
02-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Hard time deciding on packs myself as well. Think I have it narrowed down between the MR NICE 6500 and the Kifaru Timberline. Tough finding many negative comments about either (besides the weight of the mystery ranch) but I guess it's partly maybe because the Timberline is still fairly new. Was seriously considering the Badlands Ox myself at first but think the available space is a little small for my uses. Looks great for packing out meat though.

todbartell
02-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I think that Eberlestock packs have more versatility and cost less.

more versatile than an Ox or a Mystery Ranch?

91Jason91
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
looks like a great pack to me

Devilbear
02-02-2012, 07:42 AM
I wonder if some of those posting on this thread have actually used or at least tried the packs that they offer opinions on, or, any packs at all? Some, of the posts just seem a little "light" where experience is concerned.

bigwhiteys
02-02-2012, 07:48 AM
If you can put on a MR side-by-side with another pack, adjusted properly, I highly doubt anyone here would even notice the extra few pounds of weight... Which is a stronger material, better stitching, fatter zippers and a sh!t load of straps and buckles. If you think the MR is heavy then slap on an empty Barney... It's like 11lbs on it's own.

Carl

300rum700
02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
I have the Ox and a J107. I bought the Ox on the way up north last August for a sheep hunt because I couldnt stand the thought of fighting with the piece of s%#t eberlestock for a week with a heavy load, and was pleasntly surprised with the performance however if the 6500 was beside it I would have bought it on the spot. Your being smart by spending the money for the mystery ranch.

jackpine
02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
i have the badlands ox,it is a great pack,100 lbs of elk meat felt ok.i prefer it to both the wilderness wanderer and the eberlestock j-107 which i have also owned.