PDA

View Full Version : 7-18 Big horn sheep and Goats

Savage7mm
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone has been into 7-18 to hunt sheep or goats. I know that it would involve a lot of hiking which is not a problem. I am just curious on the goat and sheep population in the zone.

swampthing
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I hunt goats there. I think its a stretch for sheep though. If you go back through the kakwa I hear there is the odd sheep to find but I think its a long shot. The mountains are big and knarly in 7-18. I dont know if I will be able to climb to my goat spot again. Goats are thin in there as well but they are there,

wiggy
01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Good sheep population; most guys hike in from Alberta; if you do the research you can find the drainage. BH up there dont carry the horn mass of the southerly herds; seen some pics of some dandys that have come out of there but nothing I dream about; lots of goats or so im told but again there are lots of easier places to do that hunt

Savage7mm
01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I would be happy just to be able to get out into that area and hike around for a week or two. I got my first billy this past season and have now got the bug. When I go after goats again I would like to try to take one with a bow. I got to within 30 yards of a young billy, nanny and a kid this year but had already filled my goat tag and the billy was too young. It had just become a chanllenge to see how close I could actually get.

junkyard_g
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
sheep are mostly up in behind kakwa but they do wonder further west sometimes. they are areas you can spot goats from the truck in the west end of 7-18 but wont get into to much detail as i hunt out there ;-)