PDA

View Full Version : Some advice/suggestions on Grizz

WoodOx
10-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey guys,
Been huntin for some time, and this spring I want to try for a grizz. Ive seen lots of them up towards Chetwynd - but the zone SW of chetwynd (where isaw them) doesnt have an LEH draw.

Regrdless of this - anyone have suggestions/recommendations around BC with a good amount of grizz to apply for? PM me if you would like!

thanks in advance guys

scoot
10-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Perhaps try the Bear lake area north west of PG, about 70 some k's.

jessbennett
10-12-2006, 06:37 AM
west of williams lake towards bella coola i think has a draw, lots of bears out by bear lake north of p.g. as stated in post before mine.:lol:

WoodOx
10-12-2006, 07:37 AM
Yeah - Ive hunted in 5-4 and 5-5 (West of Williams Lake) on a number of occasions, but never seen a Grizz. May be b/c I was hunting in the fall, may be I was looking in the wrong area - dont know and its a HUGE area.

As for bear lake, thanks for the pointer. Whats the country like up there? Heavy grizz population you figure?

thanks again

mainland hunter
10-12-2006, 08:09 AM
i applied for revelstoke area, a friend of mine got one there and the odds were low

GoatGuy
10-12-2006, 10:54 AM
If you're putting in spring make sure you have high country to hunt otherwise it's a tough go. What kinds of odds???

If you want a long shot draw but a whopper bear I'd go flathead/elk valley.

WoodOx
10-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Id rather tend towards a better chance than just a whopper. Never hunted grizz, and any reasonable size is fine with me for a first one. (I think 8ft range would be good and is realistic??)

Keeping that in mind, any recommendations?:lol:

thanks again

youngfellla
10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Id rather tend towards a better chance than just a whopper. Never hunted grizz, and any reasonable size is fine with me for a first one. (I think 8ft range would be good and is realistic??)

Keeping that in mind, any recommendations?:lol:

thanks again

An 8 ft grizz is a BIG grizz, especially for the interior. 7 ft will be more common and is a damn good bear.

Most Grizz LEH that have low odds have a reason for it - no one puts in because they are tough places to access. 8-)

PM Sent

browningboy
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
If you want to find an abundance of Grizzes, do what goatguy says, try for an LEH at the Flathead river, go to the witches tit and on your right hand side (22km mark? been a while) theres a open meadow with lots of berrie bushes, its a well used trail and leads to the alpine as well, every time I've been up that trail we always see MR Grizz but keep in mind I haven't been there for 5 years or so but The bears are there. One other sure fire bet is the alaska hwy between wonowon and Pink mnt, there are numerous side roads full of gut piles (moose / elk), you're bound to find one there, Mntman and myself seen one there 3 years ago that was the size of a garden shed, well not quite but bloody large, we always see them when you don't want to.

GoatGuy
10-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Sound like you've been close to that Sukunka area. Fire your LEH's in there - I don't think the odds are too bad. Loads of bears and some good 'uns. Road closure so it's a pretty good hike in or if you have horses you can ride in. Close to a gaurantee as far as g bears go.

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Sukunka? Were you refering to me GoatGuy or to browning boy?

I may have been in the Sukunka, as it rings a bell, but I cant put my finger on exactly where it is.

Road closure to ALL vehicular access, or for trucks etc only?

browningboy
10-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Sukanka is just outside of Chetwynde.

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Hmm i wonder which area goat is refering to in regard to these road closures then - the only spot Ive hunted alot up there is North of the Peace Reach arm (very think alder type area) and south west of chetwynd which too is very thick.

I suppose gettin up there in the spring will pose a different hunt though, as the deciduous trees shouldnt have leaves yet, allowing more visibility.

I am considering the first two weeks of May for Grizz IF i get a draw - that time be good?

Thanks again guys

browningboy
10-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Go east of Chetwynd and hand a right towards Tumbler Hwy (name?), and approx 13-17km down the road will be a turn off for the burnt road area, this area is quite expansive, with lots of birch , willows etc and holds lots of elk, moose grizzes etc. Some areas theres lots of visibilty but like always if you go up high it will thickin up, try for a spring grizzly but your best option is go for one in the fall than you have lots of options for you, moose, elk, bear etc. But in turn, its nice to get away in the spring and also do a little fishing.8)

browningboy
10-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey Agaucher, just get an LEH for the Flathead by Fernie, the bears are numerous and close for yourself as well. Its beautifull country that holds a variety of wildlife. Most will vouch that if you get drawn, you'll probly take one home.:cool:

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 03:37 PM
HMm cool - I know an old guy who lives in Fernie, he seems to think the Flathead area is hunted out, and basically desolate of wildlife, I cant personally vouch as ive never been - different areas?

browningboy
10-15-2006, 03:51 PM
The flathead or bow river they both have thier fair share of grizzes, one thing thats cool is a spring grzz hunt I believe the turkey will be open as well! Its worth a shot or two.

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Thats true, do you know anyone around there or any specific locations for grizz? I think you mentioned a trail a lil above here on this thread - is that area large enough to hunt for a while, or is that like a one day thing to just check out?

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Was just taking a look at regs in regard to region 7 for spring grizz, and unless I am looking at wrong areas around Chetwynd (7-21,7-22, and 7-32) Then there are no draws for these areas at all.

Which region is burnt road in?

Also, the flathead regions have odds of around 50:1 - I think id rather drive 20+ hours to a spot that has 0.2:1 lol!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2006, 06:54 PM
The Flathead has one of the highest grizzly densities in the province. The only problem is access in the spring. You can only get in there once they've plowed it open so you're at the mercy of the lumber companies. Usually no access until May long weekend some years(or later). If you concentrate on the last 10-15 days of your draw you should do okay provided the big boars haven't rubbed yet(depends on the year).
One of the guys on this site took a big grizz this spring mentioned the same problem(I think it was Elkmaster or something like that). He took his in 4-02 I believe if my memory serves me correct.

SSS

ryanb
10-15-2006, 07:19 PM
You probably want to put in for a draw in an area with mountains. You can glass the slide paths where the bears hang around in the spring, as these areas are the first to green up in mountainous areas. The ones in flatter areas such as east of pink mountain are really hard to hunt. You basically are going to just drive around and hope you get lucky to spot one on or near a road.

browningboy
10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey Aguacher, go up by Tumbler ridge, theres a very healthy population of Grizzes up there! I'm putting in for one next year on our annual moose / elk hunt, if you're interested I can point you in the right direction (I hope) or you can join us in camp, we usally have a pretty big one and the area is addicting so beware! Good thing is if you get a grizz tag, you can be hunting moose and if you come across a bruin??? :twisted:

WoodOx
10-16-2006, 09:04 PM
yeah, would be good. What kind of dates do you go for??? I was looking at spring hunts, and there arent any up there browning? I mean, atleast not any around the four regions surrounding Chetwynd??

browningboy
10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
I'll get the LEHs out and look, I believe they let out ten or so and its about 100 km east and somewhat south of Chetwynd, its a great area, has all species and off hand I believe its 7-21? I'll look for the paperwork to confirm.8)