PDA

View Full Version : Huntin' yotes is fun!

lovemywinchester
01-29-2012, 01:19 AM
I managed to salvage a blown double on yotes this afternoon by calling one back in with the full meal deal. Mojo critter, power dogg caller and mouth calls.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/IMGP7599.jpg
I hit a few spots this afternoon with the mojo and caller. I had yotes howling back and barking around me in two spots before I could get one to come in on the third try. If you guys haven't been in the middle of a pack of yotes that are yappin all around you, you are really missing out. Very exciting knowing they are there and they can pop up anywhere and you and your 223 are ready.

I was hiking into my last spot late this afternoon. My buddy told me to check it out and sure enough it was a good tip. While walking in I saw a nice coyote about 150 ft away, trotting away along a tree line looking at me. Go time. Heart starts pounding and try to fight off the buck fever. I dropped down and yanked my shooting stick out of my back back and stuck it in the snow. Put the rifle on the rest and point at yote. He's just sanding there looking at me. Look through the scope and all I see is an blinding orange circle. The sun had just gone by the tree tops and I was looking right at it!

I was just choked, I finally see a yote and I can't shoot it because I can't see it in the scope!! I try and push my luck to see if I can make him out in the burning glow and all of a sudden my stick pushes through the snow and I am aiming at the ground. Pull the rifle straight up and out of the snow and BAM!! I fire the round straight into the air. I didn't have a chance to take my gloves off it all happened so fast. Coyote gone. F$#K! All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. I look over and I am stoked to see another dog walking on the same path about 50 ft behind at the same speed as the other one. Same thing, sun in my eyes and no shot.

I didn't waste any time. Hustled into the middle of the clearing and set up the mojo and the power dogg caller, walked back and sat against a tree and ripped out a couple of coyote howls. I turned on the jack rabbit distress call and let it play. It wasn't more than five minutes and out came the coyote at one o clock on a easy trot and he was fixated on the critter. He just appeared out of the bush and I got him in the scope in all his full national geographic glory bounding through the snow coming for an easy meal. It was awesome. He was running right at me and I watched for a bit and shot him at about 30 yds. DRT. Dead legs in the air.Stayed for another 20 min to see if the other one would come back but no luck.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/IMGP7600.jpg
It all came together in the end. The yotes are everywhere it seems. You just need to keep moving. Get out there

bowhunterbruce
01-29-2012, 01:25 AM
totaly awsome pics and story,looks like ya had a blast and congrats on getting a good yote
bhb

Gateholio
01-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Awesome! Well done!

Good Old Outdoors
01-29-2012, 01:47 AM
Looks like fun a guillied up.

huntermike79
01-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Ahhhh yes grasshopper...........fine work

It seems like only yesterday when you were going off about never getting shots on yotes!!!

Good to see you puttin some dogs down Hump

P.S.
how was the skinning party???:mrgreen:

The Dude
01-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Good story and pics!!

BTW: Hope your gun gets better :D

Livewire322
01-29-2012, 03:29 AM
That's quite the suit man! Nice song dog

moose2
01-29-2012, 10:22 AM
nice job on th e coyote
mike

lovemywinchester
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
Ahhhh yes grasshopper...........fine work

It seems like only yesterday when you were going off about never getting shots on yotes!!!

Good to see you puttin some dogs down Hump

P.S.
how was the skinning party???:mrgreen:

Thanks buddy. Skinning him today when I get the courage. Not sure if its worth it because he has a tangerine sized hole exit behind his right ear.

SimilkameenSlayer
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
congrats .... that does look like fun !

huntwriter
01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Great story and picture. As soon I can move my arm a bit again I'll visit a few ranches around here that I've permission to hunt coyotes. Helping ranchers to reduce coyotes is a good way to open doors to deer hunting too. :)

fuzzy
01-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Exactly how large is a tangerine? kinda like a manderan orange?

fuzzy;)

lovemywinchester
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Never had a tangerine? Your missing out. About the same size as a mandarin. Big hole in a small dog.

Young Gun
01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
good job on the coyote, nice ghillie suit to.

dave_83golf
01-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Are you up Highway 5a there? left at Stump?

huntermike79
01-29-2012, 09:12 PM

nope.....thats all private property up there if you didnt know.

lovemywinchester
01-29-2012, 09:33 PM

Savona area.

ianwuzhere
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
kewl guillie-looks like some fun- keep the pix comin..
congrats!!!!

dave_83golf
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
HAHA OK HunterMike

91Jason91
01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Hunting anything is fun hahahha
nice cammo and gilly suite