PDA

View Full Version : back from kootney goat hunt

valleycowboy
10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
just got back from my goat hunt in golden.it was a very humbling yet fun trip.my little story.
saturday oct 7th
left kelowna at 3:30am.the plan was to make it to golden then head right up to where the goats were.i was up there 3 weeks before and had seen about 12 different goats in the one area.i parked in a landing across from where i seen the goats 3 weeks before.it took about 2 minutes to see most of them were still there.being real new to the whole goat hunting thing,i was still having a hard time telling the difference between a nanny and a billy.but from reading all the posts on here and gathering info off the net,i figured i had a good idea how to tell.there was one goat in a drainage all by himself.i figured his horns to be between 9"-10".i had a plan on how to get to him.i drove down to the main road and looked for the drainage that he was in and i was goin to go up the next drainage then cut over through the trees.if all worked out it would put me about 200 yrds from him.try to picture this,the slide they were in was about 3/4 of a mile wide with 6 drainage ditches coming down,and a clear cut on either side of the slide.when i found the drainage he was in on the main road,a truck came around the corner and stopped to chat.turned out he was the outfitter from the area.we got talkin about goats and i told him i was fairly new to goat hunting.this guy helped me out to no end,he told me what to look for in a billy,how to tell a billy from a nanny.places to hunt,when to hunt and how to get to the goats.this guy was just super when it came to giving me info.he knew the goat i was going to go after and said good luck.he had to other hunters after him but he just kept disapearing.he then told me about 2 other 9" billies that were much easier to get but in a different area.my first thought was he wanted me out of there.then after a while talkin(2 hours),he told me "if you want the one right here go get em,but for your first,try somethin a bit easier".he suggested the area where he seen the two other 9" goats.when we finally finished bsing,it was around noon.i didn't want to try for the first goat i seen,just incase it took longer than i expect.didn't want to be half way down the hill in the dark with the grizz that were there.so i headed to where the outfitter suggested.i sat there for 4 hours and seen 6 goats,4 nannies and 2 kids,no billies.i figured the billies had to be there but i just didn't see em.here is a pic of the hill the outfitter sent me too.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/valleycowboy/100_0025.jpg
sunday oct 8th
i decided to go back to where i was sat mornin and try for the goat i seen there.i drove down the main road first a spotted a nice goat in one of the end drainages.it was a different goat that i seen the day before.this one had about the same size horns but the front end was just huge.i figured i could walk up the clearcut on the end of the slide,angle up and over to the drainage the goat was in and that would put me above him.it took me 45 minutes to get to the top of the clear cut.the cut was only 400 yards from the road to the top of the cut.once at the top i angled upward but went on too steep of an angle.i came out of the trees way higher than i thought,but man was it nice up there.i had to sit there for about an hour just taking it all in.ohhhh ya,and i did see 5 nannies and 3 kids on the opposite side of the drainage.i then headed down the drainage hopin the billy would be layin on one of the ledges.of course he wasn't,another lesson learned.i sat in different spots the whole way down hoping he or another billy would show.they never did.ohhhhh welllll ,thats the way it goes.so back to the truck i go.i left the truck at 7:30am and got back at 4:00pm.it was a great hike but damn,when i got back to the truck i was a hurtin puppy,but in a good way,lol.the first pic is where the goat was.in the middle of the pic you can see a white rock face,thats where he was.the second pic is from where i walked up too.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/valleycowboy/100_0030.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/valleycowboy/100_0026.jpg
i had 3 hours or so of light left so i went to check out another area.as i was driving down the main road,i came around the corner and there stood mr. mule deer.one 4x4 and two does.the does left very fast and the buck just stood there and looked at me.he wasn't big but i decided before i left that any 4 point was goin to get shot(freezer is gettin a little bare).i then ask the 4 point to please step on the high side of the road because i wasn't sure i could drag him uphill.ya,i was a little sore from my littlw walk,lol.so he did as i asked.up on the high side of the road and boom,down he went.he isn't big but should taste real good.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/valleycowboy/100_0032.jpg
monday oct 9th
i decide to hunt monday then head back tuesday mornin.i went into where the outfitter sent me sat afternoon.i seen 8 goats but no billies.i spent most of the day in that area but nothin much happened.i then met another local that filled me in on more areas to hunt.i just couldn't believe these guys were so willing to help another hunter out.i try to help guys out but these two guy went beyond help.my maps are full of info from these guys.we exchanged names and #'s with each other and they both invited me back any time to hunt with them.i can't do it this year but i will be heading back next year.all in all it was a very fun trip.it was definately a learning experience and one i will never forget.one thing i did learn,i definately have to get in better shape!!!!!!lmao. my hats off to you guys that hike up them hill on a regular basis.

mainland hunter
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
good story, thanks. nice buck

elkster
10-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Great story, and nice pics. Yep, they don't call them things mountain goats for nothing Ha Ha:)