PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor Batteries!

.308win
01-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure this as been asked before....but anyway, I have a 43lb electric motor, for those out there with larger trolling motors, what Battery are you running?....I need to get a new one!:neutral::-D

Perry

The Dawg
01-28-2012, 08:53 PM
I have one very similar to this one. I trolled around for easy 12-14 hours over a weekend, without a single recharge needed.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/MarineBatteries/PRDOVR~0102799P/MotoMaster+Nautilus+Group+27+Starting+and+Deep+Cyc le+Battery.jsp?locale=en

.308win
01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks ND!!......Another Q......Do the larger thrust motors use more battery!?

Perry

The Dawg
01-28-2012, 09:11 PM
I imagine its like a gas engine. Its only as hard on the 'fuel' as your foot/hand.

Like I said, I was at trolling speeds most times. Mine is a 38lb, and had no issues at all with keeping the charge. Bring a set of jumper cables, and if you need a recharge, hook it up to your vehicle for a few minutes. Works great.

scoutlt1
01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Get a deep cycle battery with a high Amp-Hour rating. The higher the rating the "bigger the tank".
Don't store your battery without making sure it's charged, check the water levels and make sure they are topped up, keep it clean. etc...
lots of info if you Google "trolling motor batteries"

.308win
01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys!! I had a battery once before but didn't get to spend much time with it!!....Had to sell in a hurry!!:cry:....Hey ND....when you say trolling speed....are you talking between 0-1/4 power!?....that's where I think I would do most of my fishing!

Perry

The Dawg
01-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Mine has 5 forward speeds. I stayed between 2-3 most of the time .

.308win
01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Cool!....Thanks ND!

Perry

porcupine
01-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I use a 12 volt deep cycle battery that I bought from West Marine. it works just fine thank you.

goatdancer
01-29-2012, 01:06 AM
A lot depends on the type of motor you have. Is it electronic speed control or the resistor type? Electronic will not draw down the battery as much as the resistor type. Like the guys said, get a high capacity deep cycle battery and if it's not windy and you're not water skiing, you should go a long way on a full charge. I get mine from Costco because the price is right.

spreerider
01-29-2012, 09:48 AM
I would stay away from canadian tire and other big box stores, their batteries are usually low quality for the price you pay.
best bet is to go to a battery wholesaler and see if you can buy one from them, they have every single battery you could imagine and are usually quite a bit cheaper than box stores.
i have bought batteries of higher quality than equivalent box store ones for 1/2-2/3 the price.
give me a pm and i can give you the name of a company i have used in the past.

dabat
01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I use an AGM battery that I got from Napa. It lays on its side under the front seat(12 ft tinny). I had that charging system installed on the 9.9. Last year I did not have to charge the battery once as the 9.9 would charge it while getting to my spots on the lakes along with some crabbing/prawning I did last year. While on the lakes, I am usually trolling for 4-6 hrs a day and I use setting 2 on my 36lb minn kota. The battery was expensive(200) but I like it at the front of the boat as I am usually alone and it helps with weight distribution. Can't lay a regular deep cycle on its side.

.308win
02-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys appreciate the help!!!

Perry

gmcgilli66
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Only other comment I have is make sure your motor has a "maximizer" feature usually found on the mid to higher end motors. It really prolongs battery life. The faster you go, the more juice you use.

CanuckShooter
02-06-2012, 09:49 PM
When our batteries pooped out one year we just ran the electric right off the little generator. Our outboard had already died and the batteries wouldn't hold much of a charge. The small Honda generator is lighter than a battery too!

Kevin So
02-09-2012, 10:06 PM
If you pin it the entire time, it eats up any DC battery fast. To get max out of your battery, I found that if you keep it under 75% of max thrust will be best. I run a Costco DC battery and or a optima blue top. price of the optima was almost double the costco one but the optima is smaller and lighter.

I also clip a small solar panel I got on sale to the battery if I am trying to extend the battery life over a weekend of fishing in the summer.

REMINGTON JIM
02-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I use OPTIMALS - yellow top or blue top ! deep cycle ! - agm build- i also use them in my camper 31 series - very good and recharge fast - no sulfalting after sitting ! Got them at LORDCO !

.308win
02-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks again guys!!...Well us this info for sure!!

Perry

recoil
02-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I use the group 31 semi truck batteries, they are heavy, about twice as heavy as a typical Canadian tire battery and last a long time. Bonus is the are cheap, under a hundred bukcs at most truck delaers (kenworth etc). The trick is to use them for a few hours and then when you get back to shore recharge them, do not let them go to "0" or it will kill their lifespan. I rotate between 2 or 3 usually so i always have a fully charged one ready to go.

CanuckShooter
02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Waste of time with batteries, us a 1000 Honda generator, light weight, quiet, and low fuel usage...no battery to replace or charge or lug around!!

SUAFOYT
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
I use an AGM battery that I got from Napa. It lays on its side under the front seat(12 ft tinny). I had that charging system installed on the 9.9. Last year I did not have to charge the battery once as the 9.9 would charge it while getting to my spots on the lakes along with some crabbing/prawning I did last year. While on the lakes, I am usually trolling for 4-6 hrs a day and I use setting 2 on my 36lb minn kota. The battery was expensive(200) but I like it at the front of the boat as I am usually alone and it helps with weight distribution. Can't lay a regular deep cycle on its side.

Exactly. Why anyone would go with a wet cell these days is beyond me. Gels or AGM are the way to go.