PDA

View Full Version : 2011 last day Bison

afors
01-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, kind of a long story here, thought I would share, hope you enjoy it.

When the LEH results came out and I drew a bison for December 1-15, I was pretty stoked and had a good contingent of people willing to join me on the hunt. With a party of 4 I began planning, but as the time came closer to the hunt the numbers dwindled and it was just my brother-in-law and I that were able to make it (both no experience hunting bison). With him being up in northern BC and I in the Fraser Valley we spent a lot of time on the phone co-ordinating and planning.

We planned to meet up in Prince George, stay the night there, consolidate gear and head up the following morning. The drive in was fantastic, could not have asked for better weather for either leg of the trip. Arriving at Pink Mountain Ranch at dusk we unpacked and settled in. In the morning we would be Bison hunters!

Not knowing what to expect for weather we were prepared for the worst, that first day was excellent weather, we actually rode all day with visors up and a good part of the day without gloves! We put on a lot of miles that day. By 3:00 we had seen no bison and were 40 kms from camp. With dusk approaching we started to head back hoping for a sighting or something positive to end our day. Well, about 20 mins after turning around and heading back, my hunting partner was in front of me, I see him slow down and stop, his binos go up and he waves for me to stop. I come past a stand of aspens and there he is, a HUGE bull about 200 yards quartering away from us, and, oblivious to our presence. We watch him for a few minutes in awe of his mass wondering to each other if he was too big, should we attempt this so late... We decide to try to get into a good shooting position, if we are able to, we will decide from there as light would soon be fading. We moved in on him with not much time, and were able to close the gap while he rummaged in the snow, still not an ideal shot. We decided I would try to move over and get a good broad side shot, I would attempt a shot if I could get there. As I moved he stopped and looked up in my direction, I froze and waited for him to continue, as he did I slowly made my way over. I was almost in position when he busted me again, he looked up and stared at me for what seemed like an eternity, slowly put his head back down then lifted it to his other side and literally bounded away, crashing through the tree line.

We regrouped at the sleds, pretty excited and to be honest somewhat relieved, he was HUGE and just the two of us near dark... 35 kms from camp... with thousands of pounds of burger, tough steak and roast on the ground. It would not have been ideal, but it sure was exciting seeing him and making that stalk. We headed back to camp encouraged and looking forward to what the next day would bring.

Next morning Marc's sled wouldn't start, he said I should just go and he would get his sled running and catch up, after much persuasion I headed out. Rode in by myself, still a little dark watching for sign, knowing I would need to stay closer to the main road, so we could meet up later. A pine marten crossed the trail in front of me part way in so I stopped to take a look, that was neat, he climbed a pine and came out on a branch about 12 feet up to take a look at me. We watched each other for about 5 minutes, then we each continued our respective hunts.

About an hour into my ride I cut some newer tracks and decided to follow them to look for fresh sign. As I followed them I saw a nice whitetail buck, again we took a look at each other and carried on. I guess he knew what I was after and that his season was closed. Along the tracks I found some fresh sign and started to get really excited and slowed down so as not to jump them if they were close. After about an hour I spotted them about 500 yards off. I decided to drop some gear including my gortex jacket as I made the final stalk. By the time I reached a good vantage point I noticed that I was looking at a heard of about 22 animals, all MUCH smaller than the giant we had seen the previous afternoon. As I watched the herd and waited for an animal to separate itself from the he rest I began to realize how much colder it was than the previous day (wish I had that jacket now).
I waited for a long time and finally a nice looking cow moved off on its own to the left of the herd, perfect as I lined up for a shot I noticed I was shivering, from excitement and cold, about to take the shot and my radio breaks the silence and startles me, ughhhh... rushed shot, the herd runs off about 200 yards and no animal down. I answer the radio and direct him in. We watch the animals for over an hour trying to see if she is down or injured, nothing... I stalk around and up a hill, and watch the herd for another 45 minutes, nothing. We try to get a bit closer and they run... ugggghhhhh. After searching the area where she was standing, a nice open area, no brush just snow, and searching the lightly wooded area (aspen) where they were mulling after the shot, there was not a sign of blood in the snow anywhere. A clean miss... a little frustrating as we had ample opportunity to take another animal as we watched them for over two hours, but didn't want to end up with two animals down.

We returned to this area each of the following days (it was a natural lick) to see if any bison had returned and hiked the areas around but saw no more fresh sign, other than moose.

On our way out after all the excitement my sled broke down. We limped it back to camp and ended up spending the next day (Sunday) in Fort St John trying to get it fixed... had to be a Sunday with nothing open. Oh well, got to see a buddy I hadn't seen in about 20 years and probably would not have got to see him if we hadn't broken down. Thanks Jeff! And we got the sled going.

Back hunting Monday Dec 12, nothing. Tuesday Dec 13, lots of hiking...nothing. Wednesday December 14, second last day another hike up a mountain to watch a drainage... nothing. Early afternoon we decided to go deeper into the valley, dropped our skimmer so we could make better time and headed out. Again near dusk, I spot 4 bulls across the river 450+ yards away. We try and make a stalk but they disappear and we are left with one last day of hunting. Kind of quiet in the cabin... so I head over and chat it up with some guys from PG that are trying to extend their hunt. After a bit of a chat and exchanging notes and stories, I head back to the cabin and off to sleep, one more day...

The boys from PG managed to get the time off they needed, after checking where they would be so as not to hunt on top of each other we head out. About 1 or 2 kms from the second gate we notice some fresh tracks... the hunt is on!!! We track the herd for about 3 hours before jumping them, and they are on the run. We make chase all the way out to the river where they had started to double back, we decide to try and get in front of them and cut them off but when we get there to cut them off they are all ready passed and headed for the road, if they make it there they are gone, acres and acres of wooded land wait to shield them from us. Now it's a race, we manage to make it to the road after a furious sprint, but still have to run down the road to where they would cross, as we get there, they start to cross 1,2,3 cows, a couple calves another cow BOOM! The two calves behind her slam on the breaks and run around the downed bison. Yeah!! 11:30 on the last day high fives and hugs are exchanged and then we begin the work.

She ended up dropping right on the side of the road, 5 mins from the second gate, gotta like it! Being the last day we had guys from the next group of LEH's coming by on their way to scout. I wanted to stop and chat but had to keep at it. She wasn't a huge animal, a small heifer, really good eats and a lot easier for two guys to handle.

Man what an awesome time! The group from PG ended up getting theirs on the last day too, they were quite a bit deeper in the woods though.
Thanks to all the guys here on HBC for the info and thanks to all the hunters up there for sharing their knowledge too! And a special thanks to our host in PG and my buddy Jeff in FSJ for hosting us & helping us get back into the game, nice to have people of such great character in your corner!

I am no expert but would be happy to help answer questions for guys who head up in the future.

Me 'n my bro
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/DSC00497.jpg

Right on the road!
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/DSC00500.jpg

quadrakid
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
Nice post. Great story,glad to see your success.

Buck
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Right on it is a pile of work thats for sure.

kennyj
01-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Great story. congratulations on a fine bison.
kenny

91Jason91
01-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Nice story and thanks for the pics and story great job on the Bison

Wrayzer
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Good story man! Congrats on the Bison! Anyone happen to come by on the road and see the garage sale?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-28-2012, 09:09 PM
seen the gut pile and that was all i seen on my hunt... congrats to ya ;-)

.308win
01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Awesome job guys!!....Nice Bison and great story!!

Perry

tomahawk
01-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Good story, good persistence on the hunt and good eats!! Nice job!

hunter1947
01-29-2012, 03:25 AM
You put up a nice wright up on your hunt ,congrats on getting your bison..

bowhunterbruce
01-29-2012, 03:28 AM
awsome job guys,it takes digging deep down to stay focused under the conditions that present themselfs up there.waita kick ass.great pics and awsome story
bhb

Good Old Outdoors
01-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Nice Bison!, great pics and story
Congrats

GOO

Ride Red
01-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Great story. Congrats!!!

tuchodi
01-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Congrats on your Bison, great story and pictures. Now go barbecue one of those big burgers.

fearnodeer
01-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Loved reading your story. After being there this year myself its so easy to relate to were you were. We got ours onour last day as well. Congrats to you and your partner

doubled
01-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Good write up, sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I hope to be lucky enough for one of those tags one day.

moose2
01-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Congrats on your bison it should taste good.
Mike

375 ultramag
01-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Congrats on your Bison....Great story

jetboat jim
01-29-2012, 12:11 PM
very cool , I cant wait to put in for a bison....

Hombre
01-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Congrats on a great hunt, and thank you for a well written story.Got to love it when you down a large animal right by a road.

d6dan
01-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Congrats on a good eating Buff. Everybody should do a Bison hunt once in a lifetime!. I enjoyed your story and pics..Thanks for sharing..

REMINGTON JIM
01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Congrats on the nice Bison - thks for the storey and pics !

Fraink
01-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Congrats on sticking to it and getting it done!!

afors
01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the positive feed back guys! My first big post and with some of the $h#t slingers on here you never know...

Good story man! Congrats on the Bison! Anyone happen to come by on the road and see the garage sale?
Ya had a couple come by, it was kind of fun. I stayed and finished up while my partner went back and grabbed the other skimmer and dropped our extra gear.

Wanted to also add these photos of the cabin we stayed in so guys have an idea what they are like. We filled the stove in the morning when we left and dampered it down and when we got back at night it was comfortably warm. The photos are from opposite ends of the cabin.
propane lights, propanes cook stove, limited utensils and pots, wood stove. Propane supplied by the ranch.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/DSC00505.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/afors/DSC00506.jpg