PDA

View Full Version : Goldbridge

Spokerider
10-11-2006, 08:04 PM
My hunting buddy, his wife and myself are going to Goldbridge area for the last week of Oct. I've never been and it's been 20+ years since my bud's been there. What kind of weather can we expect down low and up top this time of the year? Can we expect snow? Also, what is the terrain like? Thick treed, open, clearcuts, etc? Spruce, pine, fir or what? Is it 45-70 or 7mm country?

Just trying to get an idea what the area / terrain is like so I can prepare for it.

TIA

JMac
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Not sure if you'll be North, South, East, or West of Goldbridge as it is big country with a lot of different deer habitat. Anyway, you'll be getting snow in the highcountry that time of year, if there's any moisture around. I've had snow up there in late August early Sept. at 8/9000 feet. If your hunting in the valley floor there is a lot of slashes up the back ends of the main valleys now. As for weather down low it could be a mixed bag (rain- snow mix) or if it was cold enough you'll get snow. There are some big ridges that face south and have nice open fir/pine timber. There's also a lot of slides and rough country that hold sheep and mulies. If your hunting big cuts, slides and alpine I'd say bring the 7mm. If your just hunting timber bring your 45-70 if you like. I'd bring the 7mm for more versatility but hey that's just me. Good luck in your pursuit!

CNE
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Anyway, you'll be getting snow in the highcountry that time of year, if there's any moisture around. I've had snow up there in late August early Sept. at 8/9000 feet. Correction... it snows at 5/6000 feet end of august. Alpine starts avg. 6500 ft there.

JMac
10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Jeepers guess it was only a dream! It's called true alpine not subalpine of 6500 ft. Alpine rocklands man! My altimeter must be out on top of the world. LOL. Guess I better check my topo maps to see what the summit elevation and passes are! Sorry spokerider guess I don't know what I'm talkin about you'd best find your help with the mountain bwana!

3kills
10-11-2006, 09:49 PM
my dad locked out of there just over a year lots of steep county but lots of bick bucks too....i was in there with him mid of august and there was snow and it was shortly after that they got shut down in there cuz of to much snow couldnt get into the landings anymore....

Byson
10-11-2006, 10:25 PM
i have been hunting up there for the last 3 weeks chasing moose none the deer goes back to 4 point and better on nov 1st. the hurley has no snow its pretty warm up there still. even if there is snow the road to lillooet is open year round the ground is pretty good deer hunting around marshall lake and green mountain. there are a few big grizzlys up there i was hunting hope creek for imature moose never seen any im in mcbride right now hunting moose i hope to bag one soon good luck

Spokerider
10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
We'll be after mule bucks and perhaps a moose. Not interested in grizz. Nope, no grizz thanks. Saw enough of them up Houston a few years back.......
We'll have bikes to get us out and about from camp, then hunt on foot from there. We'll be restricted as to the drainages / areas we can access with motorized vehicles however. 3-32 has a good sized area which will be off limits to us and 3-31 Clinton Creek drainage is a no motorized vehicle area also. Still leaves us a huge expanse to hunt though.

So, snow IS a possibility in the valley bottoms? and certainly up higher. For mule deer, what depth of snow is too much snow? Would I be wasting my time hunting in snow over 12" deep? I've only ever hunted them in the early season with no white stuff.

We're also interested in whitetail. They are open season in the area but do any live there? I've not heard much mention of whitetail in Goldbridge.

Thanks fellas. We're looking forward to seeing some new country on this trip.

Dieseldog6
10-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I spent a couple of days at the beginning of this month on the ridges around Marshall FSR and off the Tyaughton FSR. There seemed to be a lot of road hunters heading up as high as possible. I didn't have a proper 4x4 to do that so I just went in as deep as I could and looked for areas to hike around. I found some great trails off some deactivated roads with a few does around them. No bucks, though. Everyone I talked to thought it was just too warm and dry and they were mostly still very high up.

If I had more time I might have been lucky enough to find a young buck hanging around the fringes of some of the old cuts. I think hiking, biking or ATVing farther off the beaten path will result in the best chances until snow drives 'em down in large numbers.

I did, however, find an Alaskan Super Cub knife in decent condition when I was looking for tracks in the sandy/gravelly road bed I was walking one morning. Also plenty of grouse, although I only shot one for supper.:smile:

JMac
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Spokerider, a foot of snow is nothing for a mule deer. Heck if it's nice and powdery (not heavily crusted) neither is knee deep snow. Just my opinion, from what I've seen over the years. Good luck!

mark
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Ive been balls deep in snow and seen does and fawns still up there, when they could of walked down to less than a foot of snow in half a days walk!

JMac
10-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Agree with you there Mark. However if it's a heavily crusted snow that the deer are breaking thru they will head down it takes a lot of energy out of them. Balls deep powder yup believe it!

WoodOx
10-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Marc - I MAY be mistaken but I think I saw your pic in Bearcreek sports today?

I migh tbe wrong, but looks very similar to the one on your messages. Obviously without giving aaway any honey hole, whered u score that bad boy?