PDA

View Full Version : The power of our community

killer_shot
01-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I was reading the thread about the special sheep hunt draw that went for $240,000

Someone on that thread brought up a good point about how the government will view these sheep as money.

As most of you are outdoor rec users, you may have noticed over the past ten years that our wilderness is being partitioned and sold off to different organizations. Under gordon campbell and our liberal administration they had decided that it is a good idea to exploit our natural resources for tourism. You can really see this in the number of heli/catski operations that have sprung up around the province in the last few years. Now we have private sector trying to limit public access to crown land through changes in legislation under the banner of conservancy and protection.

Now i see no problem with one sheep being raffled off to help conserve our wildlife and ultimately preserve our ability to hunt as we have always done so.

But, it does raise a flag in my mind when i see our government using our inherited natural resource as a means to make money.

check out this link about how the government is treating our backcountry and imagine if it was applied to our wildlife http://www.bcbusinessonline.ca/2005/09/01/crown-land-tenure-trouble-backcountry

wildcatter
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm all for it if it benefits wildlife but sure as hell not if it restricts our access to hunting/outdoor activity.
Good article by the way.