PDA

View Full Version : spatzisi leh sheep tag

bighorn
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
looked at the leh reg synopsis today.there is 110 sheep tags for this draw.with limited lakes to land on,and not that big of an area to hunt the place must be crawling with sheep hunters.
has anyone hunted this tag,what percentage of hunters who get this tag actually hunt,hopefully not everyone.
with 1.9 to 1 odds if 2 guys put in you should get at least 1 tag maybe 2.
so with 2 people per tag thats 240 hunters on paper.

GoatGuy
01-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Usually around 1/2 will buy a tag and half of those will hunt. Probably up at little now, since it's been catching on a bit.

Jim Prawn
01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Second hand info but I've heard its a tough go, at least if you hunt from Cold Fish lake I've heard its still a 30 KM hike to the sheep. There may be easier access points but I did hear of two guys that did that hike two seasons ago and shot two fine rams.
JM

BCbillies
01-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Second hand info but I've heard its a tough go, at least if you hunt from Cold Fish lake I've heard its still a 30 KM hike to the sheep.

Hmmm . . . definitely on the to do list! I recall the resident success # from 2010 . . . GG do you have the 2011 success #? Throw in the non-resident # if you have them. Thx.

one-shot-wonder
01-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I have held the tag before. Made the effort to go and did our best to get into the sheep country but last year with the weather it proved to be too much of a challenge. Highway was a disaster, then the grade acessing the park was a total nightmare, and finally the trails inside the park were greased up and bogged down.
For this hunt one should consider the limited access, remoteness of the park and distance to travel required, weather challenges, etc.

In the end though it is amazing country and from what I knowledge I have holds fantastic sheep.......definately not a hunt for the faint of heart though!

Good luck if you go!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
looked at the leh reg synopsis today.there is 110 sheep tags for this draw.with limited lakes to land on,and not that big of an area to hunt the place must be crawling with sheep hunters.
has anyone hunted this tag,what percentage of hunters who get this tag actually hunt,hopefully not everyone.
with 1.9 to 1 odds if 2 guys put in you should get at least 1 tag maybe 2.
so with 2 people per tag thats 240 hunters on paper.

A lot of guys put in as a group. One gets drawn, all get drawn.
Doubt many guys that hunt sheep are only helpers.

SSS

vip_ruger
01-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I was think that its crowded in there even 25 people with tags is alot for the area the sheep are

blackbart
01-28-2012, 11:07 PM
I am thinking that it might be a bit higher odd draw in 2012 than previous years. Then again, I have been wrong before!

BromBones
01-28-2012, 11:55 PM
A lot of people put in for that draw seeing the high leh permit #s, and figure it must be a good place to go. A lot of them never make the effort, and some who do see that they're in over their head .

You need tough feet, or a string of horses.

tbocking
01-29-2012, 10:59 AM
I flew into coldfish last year and never saw another person once we hiked away from the lake. it was fantastic we took a great ram om opening day then the weather blew in and we couldnt get the goat we were drawn for. but as for being crowded not at all.

bighorn
01-29-2012, 11:05 AM
that sounds real good,congrats on the ram.were you there before opening day.what was the charge for the flight

tbocking
01-29-2012, 11:43 AM
we flew in the day before, its about 15km hike to where you can legally take a ram from there not too tough a hike. if I recall its $880 each way grate pilot they fly out of tatonka lake

tristanmac
01-29-2012, 11:50 AM
what was the charge for the flight

Here are prices I got from Alpine Lakes Air out of Tatogga.

1 Person Round Trip:

Tatogga - Coldfish: $ 1200 + taxes
Tatogga - Tuaton: $ 2000 + taxes
Tatogga - Laslui: $ 2000 + taxes

tbocking
01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
contact north pacific seaplanes for the flight costs and if you go make sure you support Teena at the resort she and her staff are great

biggunner
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
i flew in two years ago from tatogga lake, it was just over 1400 bucks round trip for two of us. flew into cartmel lake way closer to sheep than coldfish. in sheep country almost the second you get off the plane out there for a week saw just one other group og hunters last day they were flying out while we were flying in, took a nice ram 4 hour hike from where plane dropped us off.