PDA

View Full Version : Hunting chalet/cabin ... Build or buy?

BigSlapper
01-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Strictly used as recreational property, with a $250,000 to $350,000 budget, where in BC would you consider locating your hunting chalet/cabin, and why?
Would you buy property & build or buy existing?

Consider the following if your home base was the Lower Mainland and Chalet/Cabin usage would be approx. 4 months of the year:

1) Species Available
2) Accessibility (travel, road, air ... on/off the grid?)
3) Lakefront, Mountain Top or Valley ?
4) Ammenities Nearby ?
5) Utilities (water, electricity, sewer, etc)

... and yes, season's over and I'm bored.

pg83
01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
I know I'm not answering your question, but if I had that dough to put towards hunting I would buy a wall tent and a lot of gas.

Now to answer your question I would buy land an build myself because if I was only using the property for hunting purposes I would not need anything fancy. As for where I would try to keep it within 10 hours drive of the LML since it could still be used on long weekends. If I had longer stretches of time for hunting then it would be up in the Peace country. Too many variables involved:)

Piperdown
01-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Hey Bigslapper just give me the directions when you get er done :) Looking forward to November!

rcar
01-27-2012, 06:02 PM
I have a cabin around Lac La Hache and as a hunting destination it is OK but I find that we don't use it "recreationally" to often because of the 12 hour round trip. If I were to do it all over again, I would rent a cabin in the area I planned on hunting each year (which I actually do every year now) and buy a cabin closer that I could use to fish and have fun with family and friends that was no more than a 3 hour drive. That way a weekender is always possible and the cabin is a lot more useable.

waistdeep
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I have a cabin around Lac La Hache and as a hunting destination it is OK but I find that we don't use it "recreationally" to often because of the 12 hour round trip. If I were to do it all over again, I would rent a cabin in the area I planned on hunting each year (which I actually do every year now) and buy a cabin closer that I could use to fish and have fun with family and friends that was no more than a 3 hour drive. That way a weekender is always possible and the cabin is a lot more useable.
do you want to sell it?

upcomer
01-27-2012, 06:12 PM
i agree with the above. spending that much monye you want to look in to more than just hunting. my family has a cabin on a small fishing lake with a 9.9hp boat restriction, as well as a lot of algae. getting a cabin on a nice clear lake that doesnt have a boat restriction would also make it a perfect place for family/friend getaways in the summer. Missezula lake / Otter lake or those types is the way to go

BigSlapper
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey! ... "theres a piper down" ! I too am longing for November already. We are all booked in!

RCAR - good thoughts and makes sense. Kind of what I've been doing for the past 5 years or so, but thinking it would be nice to have a place as a base for "whenever" ...

91Jason91
01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
You find anything yet or what were you thinking?

Steeleco
01-27-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd buy raw land in Tulamean and put a big trailer on it with the budget you have, that I wish I had LOL There are built places for sale, but they are non too cheap. As for hunting, it's got it all.
Just outside 3 hours in the winter time and just under if you use the Lawless road between the Coq and the town once the snow is gone.

I love the place, just don't have the pennies to buy there.

Barracuda
01-27-2012, 07:10 PM
towards valemont would do it for me . hunting fishing and a trapline would be about perfect.

lip_ripper00
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
this is where I would be......

http://homes.point2.com/CA/British-Columbia/Thompson-Okanagan/Princeton/Missezula-Lake/47220862-Real-Estate.aspx

swampdonkey
01-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I have a place in 3-19 2 hours 15 min from my door in chilliwack and i got it all year hunting fishing quading snowmobiling all at my front door. power and water as well

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
01-27-2012, 07:22 PM
hmm....atlin lake would the perfect spot

Buck
01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
hmm....atlin lake would the perfect spot

For the difference in real estate costs a guy could buy a float plane thereby increasing your distance for the same travel time. Hmmm got me thinkin i live beside an airport !!

Gun Dog
01-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Anything more than 4 hours away is too far for a weekend get away.

tuner
01-27-2012, 10:21 PM
check out landquest.com ,it has lots to choose from.

recoil
01-27-2012, 10:39 PM
It may be obvious but i would look for something on the border of two regions, either 3/8 or 5/3 etc. so that if you tag out early for one region you can still use your property to hunt. My cabin is in 5 but i can be in 3 in about 20 min drive or so. it is about 4.5 hours from the fraser valley if you dont stop, i wouldnt want to be any farther and i perfer "long" weekend trips as it is. Property in the interlakes area is cheap enough starting at around 30k for a basic lot, if you want a hydro pole, well etc. it will be more.

BigSlapper
01-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Smart idea RECOIL ...

.300WSMImpact!
01-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Build, something that appeals to you and the wife and kids, close enough to hunting and what the wife and kids want, I say build if you can afford it, customize it to you and what you want and need, where thats tough I like elk so I would look east koots, but for deer kelowna area is respectable

3mk
01-28-2012, 07:51 AM
i have a place in osooyos its 4hr just far enough but always wanted to check out princeton

wos
01-28-2012, 08:10 AM
I am building a place near Princeton its 2 hrs door to door for me. I love that i can use it every weekend and not be exhausted from the drive.

BigfishCanada
01-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Well I have built 3 lakefront homes, and have owned 5 lakefront properties. To me its about lakefront, I love my places on Red Lake, I built them so the wife would enjoy also, Luxurious

Key things to think of, septic, allot of places require waste water treatment centers now, so it maybe tricky building on certain lots. You will need an engineer to design it, especially if any marsh or water is on your land. Also what about water, you may need to drill a well and always expect the worse and hope for the best. They charge by the foot so budget for the deepest scariest hole, and also be prepared that you may not even hit water. Having power to the lot means a ton for me, solar isnt as cheap as being on the grid yet.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2012, 03:52 PM
We are living there now, log home on 160acres right on the river.why buy or build when you can relocate and live the life?

BigSlapper
01-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Good Job CANUCKSHOOTER - I'm envious ... in order to "relocate" however, one has to "buy" something :) ...unless you want to carve out and donate a few acres of your 160 for me :)

SimilkameenSlayer
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
i live in Hedley and it's awesome. not to far from other great locations, great climate and good hunting and fishing.

Gateholio
01-28-2012, 05:52 PM
If it was just for hunting, I'd take $10 000 for the next 25 years and book a horseback, fly in or whatever you want type of hunt.:)

BigSlapper
01-28-2012, 06:04 PM
ahhhh Gate .... if only it was "just for hunting", I might tend to agree .... but alas, in the "off-season", I may just want to sit on my deck with my favourite "peeps", a nice tumbler of scotch, a big fat cohiba and debate the airspeed velocity of the African swallow ....

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-28-2012, 06:19 PM
Near Dawson Creek sounds good . near Tumbler Ridge i hear is good .

Gateholio
01-28-2012, 06:54 PM
ahhhh Gate .... if only it was "just for hunting", I might tend to agree .... but alas, in the "off-season", I may just want to sit on my deck with my favourite "peeps", a nice tumbler of scotch, a big fat cohiba and debate the airspeed velocity of the African swallow ....

Rent a cottage on a lake for a few weeks every year, spend the rest on hunting, you get to sit with peeps AND go hunting and do both to the max, without ever having to pick up a paintbrush, put a new roof on, fix plumbing or pay insurance. Best of both worlds...;)

BigSlapper
01-28-2012, 07:26 PM
True ... much of it does come down to a math/maintenance equation. Have debated this for many years and, in fact, have done exactly as you have suggested throughout Europe and North America every year. As I approach 50, it seems the "equation" has shifted and a desire to "pour concrete" has crept in ... that and the fact that it's pretty tough to haul a wine cellar and humidor around with you ...

Iron Glove
01-28-2012, 08:02 PM
If you want to use it all year around, remember the "4 hour window". Much longer than that and it really begins to eliminate weekend trips.
We had much of the same decision to make about 12 years ago and ended up with a lot in Tulameen, a 100 metre walk to the river with Crown Land behind.
Had a small "cabin" built and have loved it ever since.
A suggestion tho' - build it bigger and better than you initially think you need. We didn't realize how much we use, and enjoy our place. 4 seasons ( we drove up this AM for a few days ) , we are here maybe 70 - 90 days a year depending, and the kids and friends use it maybe another 30 - 40 days.
Realized we needed more room ( we plan on semi retiring here next year ) so we are completeing an addition that cost more than the original cabin. :) Coulda, shoulda, woulda done it all at once.
$350,000 shouldfix you up reasonably well here. There's a small lot 3 houses down from us for @ $150,000 or less, leaves you $200,000 for a "cabin"
Electricity, phone, all the comforts of home yet you can literally hunt 10 minutes away.

BigSlapper
01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Agreed IRON GLOVE .... we've had the same discussion about the "4 hour window". A reasonable travel time & distance. Absolutely don't want to be too far out so it becomes a "big ordeal" to go. Also agree with the "size & build for the future" ideology ... I do want to stretch out ....

Gateholio
01-28-2012, 08:27 PM
True ... much of it does come down to a math/maintenance equation. Have debated this for many years and, in fact, have done exactly as you have suggested throughout Europe and North America every year. As I approach 50, it seems the "equation" has shifted and a desire to "pour concrete" has crept in ... that and the fact that it's pretty tough to haul a wine cellar and humidor around with you ...

Yeah, i understand it. :)

I live in the boonies, so every day I get to sit in a quiet place and can't see any neighbors, so I've never had a great desire for a "cottage" :)

Lots of people jump into it thinking that it will always be good time BBQ's and watersports, but the reality is often different, especially when you aren't on city water or sewer, shopping is an hour away, place is often vacant in case of trouble etc. Sounds like you have thought it through though. :)

cwocarsten
01-29-2012, 01:54 AM
I have a cabin at Hatheume Lake. Go there to fish and relax and it's less than 3 hour drive.

BigSlapper
01-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Great feedback from all .... What is your ideal cabin size? I like a larger deck area as I spend most time outside (with the exception of the -10 and below days)

Gun Dog
01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
I live in the boonies, so every day I get to sit in a quiet place and can't see any neighbors, so I've never had a great desire for a "cottage" :)
I know that feeling. I live on 5 acres in South Langley. My Northern view is from Hollyburn Mountain to Judge Howie. Luckily I have friends with cabins but I go there to be around people, not get away.