PDA

View Full Version : Stalked by Cougars....

upcomer
01-26-2012, 09:13 PM
In light of CS's post on wolves, lets hear some stories on cougars. Personally, there are some places I wont go alone while hunting as it is prime cougar territory and I wouldn't want to put myself in that position. Most cougar attacks happen from being stalked and pounced on from behind, so how have you guys kept yourself from being eaten?

REMINGTON JIM
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
In light of CS's post on wolves, lets hear some stories on cougars. Personally, there are some places I wont go alone while hunting as it is prime cougar territory and I wouldn't want to put myself in that position. Most cougar attacks happen from being stalked and pounced on from behind, so how have you guys kept yourself from being eaten?

Stay away from Jakes Pub in 100 MILE HOUSE - place is full of cougars ! LOL

russm
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Bag yourself a cougar, they taste delicious ;) or so I hear.

Caveman
01-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Bag yourself a cougar, they taste delicious ;) or so I hear.

As long as you get them fresh!!

Pioneerman
01-26-2012, 09:38 PM
I was hunting in heavy snow storm one day . I had walked maybe 300 yards up a old road through the slash and it was blowing and so ugly, I could not see 50 feet at times. I knew I wasn't going to get up to the timber I wanted to hunt so I turned around headed back to the truck. I just started back and there were cougar tracks following my tracks in the snow. Never did see it, but they were less than 80 feet behind me and started almost right from the truck. A odd feeling knowing I was being watched and stalked.

bugler
01-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I have been told wayyyyyyy more stories of hunters being stalked by cougars when they were elk calling than stories about wolves. And it's only ever been "stalked". No contact has ever been reported by guys I know.

deer nut
01-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Watch your back-trail! What else can you do?? If you don't hunt deer solo in good areas you will forgo lots of opportunity. I'm especially thinking of coastal black-tail hunting....I found cat tracks in the snow on my backtrail once but only had my first face to face encounter with a cougar this years after >10 years hunting on the coast. (Plan on packing a tag next year for sure!!)

Tikka270wsm
01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Was hunting some timber on top of some bluffs last fall. I was creeping along and felt like I was being watched. I looked back to my backtrail and thought the base of one of the trees looked kinda wierd. I brought my binos up and it was a cougar watching me from behind a tree. After staring at him for a few minutes I decided to get over to the next bluff and to check back again to see if he was following me. Well I had to drop into a draw to get to the next bluff and once I got to the high vantage point, the cat was almost at a trot trying to close the distance. My rifle came up instantly and I had the cross hairs right on his face. If he kept coming, I would have popped him but he just froze up when we made eye contact. He was now at about 70-80 yrds and frozen. For whatever reason, I had no fear at all, more of a hightened sense of things. Maybe because I had come close to shooting him just moments before or the fact that the timber was fairly open and easy to see through. I don't know but, knowing cougars are naturally curious animals, I really didn't feel threatened.

After some time, I decided to push on further up the bluff and then I dropped down onto a lower bench that was full of moss. This drop was only about 50 feet but I stayed tight to the rock face and doubled back on the cat. Eventually I came in behind him and got to watch him peeking over the bluffs for a good half an hour. He would drop down onto a bench, peak over the edge and then move down to the next bench. Eventually, he dissappeared out of view in the timber at the bottom of the bluffs. To say it was cool would be an understatement. He was a long, adult cat that I'm sure would have been a Tom. He looked pretty slim except for his head which was very meaty. This was the eighth cougar I've seen in the wild. I have shithouse luck when it comes to seeing them and I think I'll be packing a kitty tag on my licence next year just in case this scenerio happens again.

I've told this story to a few people now and most give me shit for not shooting him. A couple guys said that this cat was hunting me. Not too sure about that as if he was hunting me I don't think I would have caught glimpse of him from the start of the encounter. I think more people get stalked by cats than they realize just because the cat is curious.

The Dawg
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
I was 6-7 years old- my family and I were vacationing on the West Coast of Vancouver Island.

I was being a kid and running off ahead. I only vividly remember the growl, and my dad yelling. Everything else is a blur.

There was a cougar between my dad and I- My dad was yelling and running towards me, waving his hands. The cat took one look at him, back at me and then decided the trouble was not worth it and buggered off down the bluffs.

I took off running away from my dad. He was freaked out when I took off, because now that the danger of the cat had passed, I was a terrified kid running along a narrow path, right next to a sheer cliff. He caught me within what he said was 50 yards or so. He said he has never been so scared in his life till this day. From almost watching me become dinner, to me running along a cliff in the same instance.

My dad says that this cat was only about 25-30 yards from me when it came down the hill from above, and began crawling towards me. He reacted immediately. Damn good thing he did.

whitetail2009
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
One day i was sitting in a ground blind, watching a whitetail and her two fawns walk by about 20 yards from me. 15 min later i saw movement from where the deer had come from.It was a big cat with nose to the ground following the scent from the deer. I was thinking this is cool!

Then thought to myself okay if these deer were 20 yrds from me and did not see me,then this cougar could walk right by me. I was'nt into an encounter with a cougar that close ecspecially on the ground. He was hot on the trail of the deer and about 50 yards from me.

I took my buck knife out, opened it up and jabbed into a stump , right beside me. (just in case plan b) I stood up and started yelling and waving my arms, this had no affect. The cougar stopped and then went down on his haunches and started to do the kitty cat thing, like he was ready to run and pounce on me. I was thinking forget this bs. so, i shot about 10 feet to the right of him on the road. The bullet hit the gravel .

It was kinda like when a cartoon character tries to run away ,scrambling and not going anywhere. The cat then got traction and took off.

My buddy who was just up the road, heard me yelling and then a shot. He thought i was yelling to stop a muley and then shot it. I told him about my encounter, and showed him where the cat stirred up the gravel to escape. It was definately an unforgetfull encounter.

benttip
01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
cats are amazing critters..im 62 years old and worked and played around the coastal forest all my life..Ive seen cats ,heard them,seen tracks, scat and so on but never once have i experieced any agressive behavior.. not once..I live in one of the most populated cat area..the island..I know they are there lots of times and pay attention but your more likely to get in a car accident on the way to the bush than get bothered by a cat...i think...lol..

Caveman
01-26-2012, 11:07 PM
I was hunting mule deer on the edge of a field, before daylight, I was sitting watched the tree line across from me. I spotted some deer along the edge and in the middle of the field a form that I hadn't seen before, I had been here many times so something was different. After first light I realized it was a cougar but it sleeked back into the timber. I watched for a while then went on a spot and stalk for the deer I had seen. I had walked a game trail for sometime and was watching in front beside and behind myself, when something caught my eye. The cat was 15 ft behind me in long grass. As I turned it also quartered away from my but tensed up in a crouched stance. I pulled up and remember seeing nothing but hide as I looked through my scope. I pulled to the right until I saw a front shoulder and squeezed. I had for an instance thought of lifting my camera and getting a picture but didn't want it to be my last shot. Exactly 8' from nose to tail. My hunting buddy had heard the shot and came to meet me. When he spotted me from some distance, he said, "I knew you had shot the cougar because, I've never seen you look like excited before", as he had seen it at first light as well.

91Jason91
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Lol just a dif kind of cougars =P

adamgarbett
01-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I was hunting mule deer on the edge of a field, before daylight, I was sitting watched the tree line across from me. I spotted some deer along the edge and in the middle of the field a form that I hadn't seen before, I had been here many times so something was different. After first light I realized it was a cougar but it sleeked back into the timber. I watched for a while then went on a spot and stalk for the deer I had seen. I had walked a game trail for sometime and was watching in front beside and behind myself, when something caught my eye. The cat was 15 ft behind me in long grass. As I turned it also quartered away from my but tensed up in a crouched stance. I pulled up and remember seeing nothing but hide as I looked through my scope. I pulled to the right until I saw a front shoulder and squeezed. I had for an instance thought of lifting my camera and getting a picture but didn't want it to be my last shot. Exactly 8' from nose to tail. My hunting buddy had heard the shot and came to meet me. When he spotted me from some distance, he said, "I knew you had shot the cougar because, I've never seen you look like excited before", as he had seen it at first light as well.

I had a similar encounter the the same result in the end. Did u have a cat tag, we're they in season? I reported the incident to the co's and they took it from me. What was your end result

Caveman
01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
I had a similar encounter the the same result in the end. Did u have a cat tag, we're they in season? I reported the incident to the co's and they took it from me. What was your end result

Same result as yours! Two days before they opened. Had never seen one in the wild before. Petitioned the ministry to keep it. It went back and forth for 14 months to no avail. I was allowed to keep the meat though. Happened to have two cameras that day. Good thing as one's film never advanced

hunter1947
01-27-2012, 02:48 AM
On Vancouver Island up the mountain at the 26k mark on Fleet main line Cowichan area just below Maid Lake to the south I was hunting for deer about 16 years ago I had my small tent set up and a couple coolers in the back of my truck.
I was by myself hunting in this older cut block started to head back to my camp walking was just before dark set in as I was walking on this old road I heard something coming from behind me I turned to see a big tom cat coming down the road straight at me I pulled the rifle off my shoulder only having enough time for a hip shot at this cat..

The flames I could see from the end of the rifle barrel as my 7mm mag barked the cat spun side ways when I shot at him at about 15 yards out he then ran into the bushes I had another bullet loaded up and run back to where this cat run into the bush I could hear the cat running through the bush.

I had a small mag flashlight and looked for blood for about 5min no blood the one thing that saved my but that late evening was the old road was still frozen up from the horror frost I heard the crunching from that cats feet as it was running crunching this horror frost.

I still had about a 15min walk to get back to camp and it was dark before I got back to my camp I was very shook up that evening as I was walking back to camp it was a 360 turn around many of times for me as I was walking back to my camp flashlight on and looking everywhere.

When I got back to camp the first thing I did was start the truck up turn the music on up loud grab my tent and all threw it in the back of my truck and left this area put about 10 miles on the truck to get to a different area I slept in my truck that night.

The next day I went for a morning hunt but was very jumpy during my hunt that morning did not get any deer that weekend ,I went back to this place where I shot at this cat looked for hours for blood never found a drop in the area.

Monday came around I called the CO and told them were this attack took place they said there was very little they could do because of where I was..

I told them I can understand your point it is way out in the wild but if I did not say something to you and a mushroom picked got hurt or killed by a cat in the area I was I would be very upset that I did not tell you what happened to me ,I told them that I did see some mushroom pickers in this area the day before this cat attack on me.....

BCHoyt
01-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Ive been stalked 2 times that I know of... Once was in Nanaimo on Mt Benson... A buddy and I were hiking up the mtn in the snow, we both felt uneasy for some reason and decided it was time to turn around and head back... About 50-60yds on our backtrack there were very nice kitty prints in the snow that veared off our path and into the woods which looked like it was trying to flank us.. We got the hell outta there pretty quick...

second time was only about a month or 2 ago while walking our dog on the road we live on... Car was coming up the road behind us and spooked the cat across the road.. He was only about 30yds behind us following.. Girls in the car stopped when they got to us and offered us a ride home.. haha.. We said nah.. its all good and walked home.. I always carry my bear spray when walking the dog around home!

CanuckShooter
01-27-2012, 10:04 AM
We were up on the rock ridge above the Moon Ranch one november....trying to score on this cranker four point that was living up there. We had gotten a couple opportunities but just couldn't bring ourselves to take the texas heart shot. Well this one morning I was to walk the road heading east and set up a stake out, while my partner did a slow push along the top of the rock ridge with the idea of getting this buck to move into my line of fire.

It was one of those mornings with about six inches of fresh snow...everything was so quiet. No squirrels, no birds...just the quiet crunching of my boots in the snow. On my left the trees were so thick you couldn't see and on the right side it was open, so I was just doing a slow hunt along the road there were lots of fresh deer tracks going every direction. Just as the bush on my left started to open up, I saw the flash of a tawny animal and I pulled the rifle off my shoulder and got the deer in my scope...well it wasn't a deer it was a small cougar, so I dropped the gun and watched it run away through the trees it looked awful small..like a kitten. Suddenly from off on my left, and out of my peripheral vision came a low menacing growl...I immediately swung that direction while bringing my 300winmag Browning Bar up to my shoulder....there was a cougar standing close by [18 paces measured later] and it was growling at me. I hesitated in shooting because it was obviously the mother of the young kitten I had seen first...but now I was in a delimma...what to do?? We had a stand off for what seemed like half an hour, but was probably less than sixty seconds....she turned away from me and left. Sure a good test of a fellows ticker!!!

That cat could have been on me easily because I wasn't even aware of her being there, she wasn't very big but you still have to respect any cat. IMO

Tikka270wsm
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Another encounter I had with a cougar was in one of my hunting spots right down the road from my house a few years ago. I was creeping through some timber that skirts a big swamp. The deer bed up along the swamp and I had seen many in there in previous walks. I was creeping very quietly and suddenly heard a deer jump from its bed and bounce out into the swamp where it stopped. I quickly got to the edge of the swamp looking for the deer. Something caught my eye at 20 feet to my right and I turned to look right into the eyes of a big cougar in full pounce postion. The big cat screamed at me and took off. He was so close that if he decided to get me, I wouldn't have had enough time to pivet with the gun to get a shot off. This encounter really shook me up and I almost puked on the way back to the truck. I was as white as a ghost. I think I ruined his hunt.LOL

CanuckShooter
01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Another encounter I had with a cougar was in one of my hunting spots right down the road from my house a few years ago. I was creeping through some timber that skirts a big swamp. The deer bed up along the swamp and I had seen many in there in previous walks. I was creeping very quietly and suddenly heard a deer jump from its bed and bounce out into the swamp where it stopped. I quickly got to the edge of the swamp looking for the deer. Something caught my eye at 20 feet to my right and I turned to look right into the eyes of a big cougar in full pounce postion. The big cat screamed at me and took off. He was so close that if he decided to get me, I wouldn't have had enough time to pivet with the gun to get a shot off. This encounter really shook me up and I almost puked on the way back to the truck. I was as white as a ghost. I think I ruined his hunt.LOL

Haha that's funny....were you wearing a fixed blade knife on your hip at the time? If not, do you wear one now???

Tikka270wsm
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Haha that's funny....were you wearing a fixed blade knife on your hip at the time? If not, do you wear one now???

LOL- No.....I'm a little thick. He he. Still have a folding knife. Wouldn't have mattered in this case though I'm sure. Closest I've been to a cougar alive and he wasn't happy.

Singleshotneeded
01-27-2012, 10:26 AM
I love cougars, they know what they're doing and get right to it! The old Boone County in Coquitlam(NtB or something now), Pancho's in the Whalley part of Surrey, Gabby's in Langley, and the Corral in Kelowna are all prime cougar habitats...go get one and enjoy!!

CanuckShooter
01-27-2012, 10:36 AM
I love cougars, they know what they're doing and get right to it! The old Boone County in Coquitlam(NtB or something now), Pancho's in the Whalley part of Surrey, Gabby's in Langley, and the Corral in Kelowna are all prime cougar habitats...go get one and enjoy!!

IF I was going to risk the boys for an indescretion...it wouldn't be over a cougar...;-)...if you'd actually hunt cougars in Surrey your a far braver man than me. :-)

Ltbullken
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Here's my story. You can follow the moose hunt all the way to the end or scroll down to read the relevant bits (all relevent in my mind!).

http://colonel-kj.livejournal.com/1524.html

Dannybuoy
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
My only encounters with cats other than treeing a few when with hounds are , I was walking up a steep deer trail hunting , when i was about 30 ft from the ridge I stopped to rest and looked up to the top of the hill and made eye contact with a huge cat that screamed at me then whirled and ran ... I scrambled up the hill as quick as I could to catch a glimpse of him running down the other side of the ridge .I am guessing he heard me coming up the trail and was waiting to see if I was a deer . Once he saw I wasnt food he voiced his displeasure and buggered off .. ha ha I had a little chuckle over that ... another time I was walking along an old road deer hunting when I saw something not quite right under a tree with limbs hanging almost to the ground maybe 25 yds away ... I slowly walked closer and could make out a cougar crouching ... so i slowly made my way closer until it bolted out running away when i was about 20 or 30 ft away . I went under the tree and found a deer carcass ... the reason it didnt run sooner . I didnt have a cat tag so I wasnt thinking about shooting it unless it decided to try something silly .
I was hunting this year over in the kettle valley with a friend .... when I heard a shot ... about 100 yds or so away ... I walked over to the area becuase thats where my bud was .. expecting to see a buck stretched out ... when i asked him where the deer was ( he's a decent shot ) he looked kinda pale and started telling me about this cougar that had stalked him ... he yelled and chased it off only to have it come right back on his trail .... after chasing it off a second time
it then showed up in the woods in front of him ... this time a bit further off ... about 15 yds ... when he yelled at it it didnt run and he was getting kinda worried about it by now so he put his crosshairs on its shoulder and pulled the trigger .... when I got there a few minutes after hearing the shot he pointed out the cat had been ..he was a bit spooked about going looking for it so I had a look . I trounced around in the bush a bit but couldnt find any sign of it .. he musta been shaking a bit and missed it clean I was chuckling all weekend about that one ... my friend not so much !

BuckEye
01-27-2012, 07:01 PM
I've seen shows where the outdoor workers in places like india wear a face mask on the back of their head. Apparently their tigers also like to attack from behind. It apparently works for them. Do you think having a similar mask hanging off the back of your favourite hunting headwear might work with our local cougars.

aggiehunter
01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Upcomer...relax....look into cougar eating human statistics....you got a better chance of getting killed in your truck on the way to your hunting spot....

BuckEye
01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Damn, and I was going to start ordering in some long back hats and sewing fake eyeballs and lips on them as a side job.
You're safer tenting in the bush than sleeping in your own city home bed too. Statistics are great until something decides to chewing on the back of your head. (no reference to the other species of cougars mentioned in this post).
I've seen 2 cougars while out and about. One on a gut pile in region 2, the other on a roadway bluff side outside of gold river on the island. None stayed around for a closer look.

upcomer
01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Damn, and I was going to start ordering in some long back hats and sewing fake eyeballs and lips on them as a side job.
You're safer tenting in the bush than sleeping in your own city home bed too. Statistics are great until something decides to chewing on the back of your head. (no reference to the other species of cougars mentioned in this post).
I've seen 2 cougars while out and about. One on a gut pile in region 2, the other on a roadway bluff side outside of gold river on the island. None stayed around for a closer look.

Hah I like that!
Awesome stories guys

olharley guy
01-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Howdy, picked up a book that I hadn't seen before a few months ago -Titled "Cougar Attacks" by Kathy Etling. There is about 50 pages at the back listing fatal and non fatal attacks over the years.
There are sure a lot more than I knew about-especially on Vancouver Island. Later

Islandeer
01-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Three years ago I was hunting some high timber above Cowichan Lake. Near the top of this ridge the hill split into two hogbacks. The one i chose looked more "deery" than the other one so on I crept. The other little ridge was about 35 yds to my right with a little swale in between. I was enjoying the hunt, nice timber with the odd opening, nice blacktail country. Suddenly I heard a loud crack behind me followed super quickly by the swishing sound of a 40 ft fir shaking violently back and forth which was followed by a loud thump on the ground. My mind quickly followed the sound and picked up on the lightening fast movement of a huge cat booking for parts unknown. My lasting memory of that big tom was his huge tail waving at me as he disapeared into the misty timber. Will always be with me. I like to think we were both hunting this "deery" ridge and that he had seen enough of his competition and waited for me to get out of his way. Or that he had heard me coming,watched me walk under his tree and decided that I was not worthy of a meal. Either way it was quite a rush and is one of my all time hunting moments.

TheProvider
01-27-2012, 08:02 PM
Spent a cple weeks this season with a pair of cougars in one area after they moved in on my deer kill, even saw a flash of orange once when I turned around then looked forward again. Its BC lots of cougars, hell the CO's killed 5 or 6 this yr in Squamish. I said it before and I'll say it again. Not many hunters see cougars but theres lots of cougars who see hunters.

Sure you'll see them come up on your trail and down wind of you. The animals their curious and wanna figure out what you are. If they wanted you dead you'd most likely be dead.

And yes normally they attack from behind by pouncing. However they prefer to surprise their prey so for some reason if they miss their first pounce on their prey most of the time they'll take off. I've heard more than one story of bike riding along trails and cougars pounce on them and bite into their backpacks. Then taking off once they realised they messed up.

Sure you can carry a knife but it prolly won't do much good. Do yourself a favour and pick up a cougar tag each year.

upcomer
01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
i mainly hunt September and October when cougar season isn't in..I wouldn't really see any point in carrying a tag.. Unless CO's prefer that you had cut one prior to handing the cat over to them?

TheProvider
01-27-2012, 08:51 PM
i mainly hunt September and October when cougar season isn't in..I wouldn't really see any point in carrying a tag.. Unless CO's prefer that you had cut one prior to handing the cat over to them?

Guess it depends on your season, in my area there open same as spring bear then again in the fall. So it makes sense.

BuckEye
01-27-2012, 11:11 PM
My friend (ya ya, not a first hand story) had a cougar encounter in the upper Campbell Lake area on Van Isle. He was hiking up a hillside game trail when charged head on from about a 50ft distance. He had a 444 marlin shouldered but stated all he had time to do was scream at the top of his lungs as he raised his arms over his head and waved. The cat darted to the side of him into the bush and disappeared. He hiked back down to his boat only to realized his favourite felt hat had gone flying in the encounter and was left on the spot. He then turned around and hiked back up to the same spot to retrieve it. He's still an old friend and didn't get eaten on the trip back up for that felt hat. There seam to be some good populations in areas. Gold river on the island being one. Keep an eye on those kids playing in the yard.

finngun
09-13-2012, 09:14 AM
theoretical guestion-- if i 'm deerhunting and i shoot a cougar my own protection..[clear case] and i don't have a tag... can i still get a tag for cougar hunting same year, when cougar season opens?
and another-- if i shoot a cougar for my own protection ,,,out of cougar season,,and i have cougar tag...do i have to cut it...?can't ceep an animal anyways,i guess?

Scuba_Dave
09-13-2012, 10:19 AM
This past Spring, was out with my brother for a late morning scouting trip looking for deer. Had been following a few tracks for about 20 minutes when we got bored of it, decided to go to another spot in the same area. About 100 feet behind us we started seeing fresh cougar tracks...Cant be certain if he was doing the same thing as us, or stalking us but let me tell ya, this guy had some large sizeable paws and a hefty size himself. Glad we didnt come face to face lol

brian
09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Upcomer...relax....look into cougar eating human statistics....you got a better chance of getting killed in your truck on the way to your hunting spot....

So true, since the 1950's exactly 5 people have been killed by cougars in BC... 4 of them were kids. You have a better odds of winning the lottery than being attacked by a cougar. Most of these cases of being "stalked" is just a curious cat checking you out. Not to say I wouldn't have the willies to find fresh cougar tracks in my own.

Fella
09-13-2012, 04:43 PM
I have two stories about cougars, both of which happened to friends of mine.

Had a buddy in highschool who was walking from the top of Chilliwack Mountain back home in the dark. He thought he heard some crackling in the bushes on the side of the road, but couldn't see anything because he had no flashlight. The next time a car came down the road, he made a point to look behind him, and low and behold there's a cougar following him about 20 yards back. The thing took off when the car came, and he didn't hear or see it again that night.

The other story was told to me by a guy I met while camping earlier this year. His family lived near in a fishing village on Clayquot sound when he was 6 years old, and one evening he and his older brother were playing soccer out by the local school. His brother went to go retrieve the ball from near the forest, when he was pounced on by a cougar. His dad saw what happened and scared the cat off before it could drag this boy away, but unfortunately they weren't able to save him and he passed away due to his injuries.

ianwuzhere
09-13-2012, 05:05 PM
one day i was standing by a pool table with a beer in hand and all of a sudden BAM, -cougar picked me up. next thing u know i was living with her. At times i was very scared, but other times was very happy...
the end..

scoutlt1
09-13-2012, 05:08 PM
one day i was standing by a pool table with a beer in hand and all of a sudden BAM, -cougar picked me up. next thing u know i was living with her. At times i was very scared, but other times was very happy...
the end..

I believe every word....except the part about "the end..." :-)

ianwuzhere
09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
I believe every word....except the part about "the end..." :-)

ha, shes prolly prowling around rite now somewheres out there...

weatherby_man
09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Hiked into a new spot a couple of years ago and on my way back out I noticed Cougar tracks following mine on my way in. From that point until I made it back down the mountain to my truck was very creepy and I never looked over my shoulder so much in my life. Never saw him or her but it was definitely checking out me or my tracks.

However I was much more scared one night at Newlands in Langley,,,,,they were definitely hungry and hunting that night.

J-Man
09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Read this on another forum, nice pics.

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/22434-Cougar-encounter-%28not-at-a-bar!%29

SavageShooter
09-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Dad and I were elk hunting on a timbered ridge in the East Kootenays. I had a good bull buggling on the ridge quite a ways ahead. I quickly moved towards him; he was letting out fairly regular bugles. He suddenly shut up and I figured he was sneaking towards me. The ridge top was covered with jack pines and I was working two cow calls while walking towards him. I was working those calls something fierce to get him to respond and give up his location. I suddenly felt like a was being watched and thought for sure the bull was near. I scanned the forest and there about 20 yards ahead of me to the right was a big cougar laying in a crouch. We made eye contact and it was an amazing feeling, very scary but also amazing at the same time. I raised my rifle and started to back away, but couldn't easily because of all the pecker poles. I sure as heck wasn't going to take my eyes off him. So I yelled at him and made motions with my arms, but no change. So I backed my scope out and looked at him, he filled the scope and I watched him for a bit, he would just kind of look away all nonchalantly, but as soon as I twitched he locked back on. The only motion he made was a slight twitch of his tail. After a minute or so I thought I need to get out of here soon. I put the cross hairs on the ground a good foot in front of him and squeezed the trigger. The ground exploded in front of him and he took off at a full run. The thing that really struck me was the size of his tail as he snaked his way through the trees, I would have never thought their tails would be so long and thick. Anyways I backed out as quick as I could and caught up to my Dad who thought I had got something. Funny part is he was further down the same ridge and ran into a bunch of fresh grizzly sign. That ridge has been known to us as Predator Ridge since that day.

SS

Mr. Dean
09-24-2012, 08:38 PM
To avoid an attack, I lather up in a mixed blend of Tabasco (green) and Franks Red Hot.

It hasn't failed me,,,,,, ever!

caves16
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
We were quadding one day up the mtn behind our cabin. My husband and I were on one bike and the kids moments behind on another. 5 ft off the road I saw a cougar crouched like it was stalking something in the trees. I stopped and watched it, much to my husband's dislike. To my surprise, a second later a second large cat came and stood next to the first. they were both interested in something in the trees ahead of them. I was being urged to move on, but I was not willing to drive away and let the kids pass alone. I waited for them to catch up. when the next quad approached, the cats dashed into the trees. It was really cool to see how large they are, and I was surprised to see 2 together. I thought they mostly hung out alone..?

grouse please
09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I live in the Whonnock area of Maple Ridge and when we bought this house 3 years ago it had cotton wood and alder all over the acreage and 3 nights in we had a cougar in our yard. My brother had a 9 yr old Doberman who grew up around our kids so the dog came to live with us to have something to try and keep them away. No problems since but the cougar ended up attacking a small hobby farm close to a daycare so they tracked it with hounds and shot it around the 256th area.

Iron Glove
09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
the end..

I'd ask if you had her stuffed and mounted but that would be innapropriate.

Mr. Dean
09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Holy Tick-Turds, Batman!!!

I have a cougar in a cedar, in my backyard, like right f'n NOW. :shock: :shock:

Goose
09-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Mr. Dean send that cougar over to Al's to get those coyotes and racoons

.330 Dakota
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Has recon taught you this my friend...lol

Casagrande
09-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Buffalo Bills in Whistler. Circa early 90's. Dollar was 65 cents US. Very dangerous time for cougars. Luckily I survived "mostly" unscathed.

nelsonob1
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
just got back from Jaffary where i had a cougar encounter. Called in cow lek to 15ft using a decoy and it stayed around for 20minutes until it suddenly was spooked. ten minutes later i notice something in the long grass twitch to my side and 10 yards away is a mature cougar staring right at me. I didn't want to shoot it and disturb the elk spot so i threw rocks at it until it moved around us and out of sigh. not sure which was more nerve racking seeing it, or not seeing it be knowing it was there. got a couple of pictures i will post later