PDA

View Full Version : Birds hunting and pollutants

Rainsford
01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Alright guys I have been thinking of taking up bird hunting to go along with my big game hunting for awhile now, however I have to admit I am a bit leery on bird hunting for one reason and hopefully some of you experts can clear this up for me. I am leery to hunt birds (especially geese) because they travel such long distances and I don’t want to be eating something that a few days earlier was eating out of a trash can, was going through a garbage site or eating out of some super polluted waterway.
Other than very much so enjoying hunting I hunt to get clean organic meat and if the meat is not going to be clean I don’t have any desire to hunt it because I won’t eat it.
I don’t really know how to summarize my question here but does anyone know of or seen/read any studies on long distance traveling birds and if their meat contains high levels of pollutants?
Is this a reasonable concern or is it nothing to worry about?
I know geese travel great distances what about other game birds such as ducks, grouse or pheasant, would they be less likely to have contaminated meat? I would be willing to travel to more remote areas if the birds stay in a more general area and therefore limiting their exposure to pollutants if it is a concern.
Thanks for the input!

Foxton Gundogs
01-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Never bothered me and Ive been eating them for 60 yrs or so. But come to think of it the vision in my 3rd eye has been a bit blurry lately. LOL Waterfowl as you sy are migratory and if they are going to be affected by it it would be anywhere. I really wouldnt worry about it it's one of the most wonderfull form of hunting goimg and waterfowl is an amazing form of protien. Hunt kill and become a "Tanya groupie" your taste buds will thank you.

finngun
01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
rain...what area you are hunting? if hunting in not done at costal area... no need to worry..--not even there..

Rainsford
01-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Currently living in Victoria so definitely costal area lol

Rainsford
01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Never bothered me and Ive been eating them for 60 yrs or so. But come to think of it the vision in my 3rd eye has been a bit blurry lately. LOL Waterfowl as you sy are migratory and if they are going to be affected by it it would be anywhere. I really wouldnt worry about it it's one of the most wonderfull form of hunting goimg and waterfowl is an amazing form of protien. Hunt kill and become a "Tanya groupie" your taste buds will thank you.

If i can live another 60 years if i start eating them now i would be ok with that!

jtred
01-26-2012, 07:29 PM
I've often wondered about that especially after what happened in the Gulf of Mexico with BP. A lot of birds overwinter down there, what are they picking up in their feed and in the water? I'm sure there are studies out there on the contaminants found in migratory birds and if there aren't that'd be a great project for Ducks unlimited or Delta waterfowl to look into. If they are contaminated we should know and be able to decide for ourselves whether or not to hunt them. In a lot of places there are warnings in place for fish consumption due naturally occurring mercury and other not so natural contaminants why not with migratory birds.

Trophyslayer
01-26-2012, 11:37 PM
just hunt migrating waterfowl and you will be fine. Its when you kill resident waterfowl you will have to worry... i know for mallards bright orange legs and no oder is a good northern duck but if the legs are dull and or the thing stinks chuck it!.... and they dont taste as good as you think they might i make pepperoni out of my duck

91Jason91
01-27-2012, 02:25 AM
its a verry fun thing to get into with lots of action tho