PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Tips? - First Post

cnsparky
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Hey all,

This is my first post since joining the site. Been reading a lot of posts trying to get acquainted with the site.

I am heading out in the bushes for my first hunting experience the third week of October 2012. We were thinking of heading up around Princeton Region 8-4, 5, 6, 7. Im just curious as to anyones success in these MU's. Being as its my first hunt, I'd like to be successful, however I realize not every trip is going to produce results and half the experience is just being outdoors anyways.

The dates we were looking at enable us to take a range of animals (deer, moose, bear etc.) Just curious as to what the region has been like the last little while.

I appreciate any info you choose to share.

Tikka270
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I saw lots of moose and deer in region 8. Around Princeton is a good place to start, study maps and google earth to find a good looking spot and get out there. Best way to find out is to get out and have look for yourself to see what's there.

Good luck in the fall. Maybe get out in the spring for bear and possibly find a good deer spot is another alternative to try.

upcomer
01-26-2012, 02:51 PM
up towards the mine behind the RCMP detachment produces lots of bucks. Friends up there have taken some 2 pointers. personally i havent seen any "huge" bucks come out of there but im sure they're there.

01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I would be almost going around Nov 1-10. Youd be in 4pt + for the Mulies but the deer hunting tends to be better later around the rut.
And you still have the moose, and whitetails. As for the quality of the area i dont hunt it so i cant say. But get the Road Atlas for Reg 8 and google Earth will help you learn the area well before you get there. I went into a new area at night a couple years ago, and had studied it so damned much on Google Earth and the Atlas that i just Drove right to our camp with out even looking at a map on the way in.

Reaserch your area's roads, print maps off google earth and if there are animals there you will find them!
Good luck, i hope you get addicted

cnsparky
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I appreciate the responses.

Id love to get out and start scoping out areas.....the issue is getting the time off work to get out there. I will definitely try to get out sometime before we head up there and take a look around though

coach
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Welcome to the site, cnsparky! There's plenty of people on here to point you in the right direction. The usual protocol for first time posters is to introduce yourself and tell a joke.

Where do you live? Will you have opportunity to scout the area prior to your hunt? Are you committed to those areas - or willing to check out other spots?

cnsparky
01-26-2012, 02:59 PM
I have all the backroad map books and such so I plan on spending some time learning the area.

Thanks again guys.

cnsparky
01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I live in the lower mainland. The tri-cities area actually. I may be able to get up and scout out the area, it shouldn't be to difficult to arrange. As for commitment to the area, I don't think we are 100 percent absolutely committed, just an area we thought would be a good place to start.

In following tradition, here is my welcoming joke.

A big-game hunter went on safari with his wife and mother-in-law. One evening, while still deep in the jungle, the Mrs awoke to find her mother gone. Rushing to her husband, she insisted on them both trying to find her mother. The hunter picked up his rifle, took a swig of whiskey, and started to look for her. In a clearing not far from the camp, they came upon a hilling sight: the mother-in-law was backed up against a thick, impenetrable bush, and a large male lion stood facing her. The wife cried, "What are we going to do?" "Nothing," said the hunter husband. "The lion got himself into this mess, let him get himself out of it."

01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
If i was you i would stick to the area, based only on one reason....... If you dont you will always wonder! And it is reasonably close to you. Yes there are better areas in BC to hunt stuff but since you are new to the sport keep it simple. If you dont produce this season and dont like the area go somewhere else next year.
But get your initial area "Out of your head" first. I think there is enough game there to give you a good chance.

rcar
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Welcome sparky

I have done a fair bit of hunting in 8-5 over the past couple of years. Great populations of deer and I have seen a few moose (but only 1 spike fork....3 days before GOS for them opened) and only scarce elk sign. One thing to expect is a large number of free range cattle and all the millions of cow patties that go with them. You will definitely need to plan on a good truck/atv wash when you get back.

I hunted 9 days last October in 8-5 so if you are planning on that area for your October hunt, PM me and I would be happy to share my thoughts and give you some areas that I like to hunt.

papaken
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Over the years I have taken moose, mule deer, black bear, grouse and coyote in the Princeton area. Have also seen elk, whitetail deer and a turkey up in there. Don't limit yourself to road hunting. Study the maps and google as others have said and get out and hike. As with any hunting there are no guarantees but the Princeton area can be productive with some effort. It is probably the closest area to the LML that has a full variety of game. Good luck and be safe.

Good Old Outdoors
01-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I havent hunted that area but the same general tips apply. Take a walk, find a nice high ridge and walk it. Find a nice clearing or slash tucked away and hidden from the main road, sit and wait. This has worked for me plenty up in the northern parts of the region for spotting and dropping deer, and moose. If you decide to sit and wait, keep your head on a swivel, Ive had deer walk within 10 feet and i had no idea they were there until they grunted or snorted. Lessons learned!
Good luck and Welcome!
GOO

cnsparky
01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for their input and words of wisdom. Definitely a welcoming sign when so many people are willing to offer advice and help newbies out.

Thanks again.

cnsparky

91Jason91
01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
great for bears andbucks everywhere, I Think you have to have leh for moose there and thats its

01-30-2012, 04:54 PM
great for bears andbucks everywhere, I Think you have to have leh for moose there and thats its

Spike fork season in parts

r106
01-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Go for spring bear. Princeton is close enough for long weekend hunts. Good time to start scouting so your not wasting as much time when deer season is here

Bc Deer Hunter
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the site sparky :) Definatly worth the time to head out to princeton whities are like rat's there ;) You might wanna try up around westside road aswell for mulies, the odds were preety good last year. As for moose try down the 201 back of penticton towards hi way 33. :D Lastly go for bear in the spring! Cause when fall comes their coats are in preety bad shape from rubbing on trees ect. plus the meat does no taste the same.. (personal experiance :) ) For them i would head to 8-6 around kentucky lake area, then again there on every mountain range :mrgreen: hope this can help you out and good luck for th 2012 season-
Hogan

nano
01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the site, first off I would spend some time in the summer up in tulameen scouting or any spot off of the coq. Lots of great spots up there and its nice country. And don't be afraid to get out and hike

hunter1947
02-01-2012, 03:38 AM
All the suggested regions you posted are good areas regions to hunt do researches on them and you will find what you are looking for ,welcome to the forum ,good luck..