PDA

View Full Version : 2 Wheel Drive ATV

upcomer
01-26-2012, 02:22 PM
What are everyones opinions on two wheel drive atv's? Personally, I have owned a 2wd 250 for over 3 years and it has taken me anywhere i would want to go. I was planning on driving it until it ran into the ground, however i have the opportunity to buy a 2001 Honda 350 2wd for a very good price from a friend. I would plan on having this atv for a while and i am just wondering what the thoughts are. (primary use would be for deer hunting)

Keep in mind this thread is about 2wd vs. 4x4, not about how i should go with an 800cc

Thanks!

houndogger
01-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I run around most of the time in two wheel drive, but when I need 4x4 it's there. I wouldn't own a two wheel drive but if your just running logging roads to your deer spot I guess it would work.

Singleshotneeded
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Upcomer, it all depends on what you're using it for! I have a 2008 King Quad 450 and I put radial mud tires on it,
with deep aggressive tread. What keeps it decent for normal riding is that they're radial tires and therefore give me
a much smoother ride than the same tires in non radial. With those grippy tires I go everywhere, and I only use my
4wd maybe 5% of the time, because they have such good traction. Diff lock, true 4wd, I engage that maybe .25%
of the time, if the slope is wet or very loose and really slippery, or if the mud is really really deep. The 5% of the time
that I do use 4wd I really need it, and without it I'd have to be pulled out of the spot I was in. It also gives you that
extra safety margin on a loose steep slope, for instance. I wouldn't have a quad without it. However, if you're just
riding on new and old forestry roads, and not going into rough, tricky terrain, then you can get by without 4wd.
The other thing about 4wd is it makes it easier to drag a larger animal to the side of the road, especially if you're
climbing a slope, etc., as you have traction from the front wheels too.

wrenchhead
01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Heck of slot better on gas then a pickup truck and can still make it around the tight areas. Only downfall is depending on where you take them, they can be I little more dangerous because you end up having to carry more speed to climb hills and make it though tricky areas.

Steelwheels
01-26-2012, 02:38 PM
I have both 2 and 4 wheel drives...except for in deep mud I would have no issue with the 2 wheel drive..with a winch just in case...

500grhollowpoint
01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
The only place you will find trouble is mud or deep snow and with v-bar chains not snow...

bearhunter338-06
01-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I'd go with the 2 wheel drive install a winch some aggressive tires on the back and call her a day. 2 wheel drive has served you well and I'm sure it will continue in the future.

01-26-2012, 03:41 PM
If a two wheel drive is all you can afford then it will be fine. But really 4x4 for me is the way to go.
FOR ME a 500cc 4x4 is perfect. Reason is it will drag moose,go mud bogging, recreational drive on tough trails, fine gas milage, mare snot to it when you want and largely they are a bigger bike to pack more gear and a dead thing.

I am not appose to 2x4 but i would save my money and get a 4x4. IMO.

TheProvider
01-26-2012, 03:47 PM
I used to run an old 2x4 moto 4 and good go anywhere guys with 600cc 4x4 could go..... alot of times it depends on how you drive them, no your limits and and your machines limit and a 2x4 will be fine. At the same time I had a choice of using the moto and a 4x4 600... I always took the 2x4, nice and light, great of gas

scoutlt1
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
I've had my Honda 250 2wd for almost 10 years and love it. I've added Mud Lites to the back, a winch, and no it probably "won't go everywhere", but its taken me everywhere I've wanted to go.
Good points made on here already.
2wd is lighter, better on gas, easier to get "un-stuck"...great for checking out the land on forest service roads and pretty much every trail.
4wd is good when your dragging out a big moose or firewood, deep mud, deep snow, long steep hills with loose rock, extra traction especially with front diff lock.
Most definitely need a different "driving style" with 2wd...when things get nasty...need more speed, use momentum and throttle more, as opposed to a 4wd drive where you can sometimes "walk" through it.
My little Honda has never failed me, and don't see a new quad in the near future. When the time comes though, I'd be looking at something in the 500cc range with 4wd.
Just my $.02

pronghorn
01-26-2012, 11:36 PM
If it's a good price buy it just know your limitations.

steelheadSABO
01-26-2012, 11:44 PM
I have a 86 Suzuki lt230 2wd with low range and I did get it stuck in mud and hung up on logs and stuff quite often but it is light enough that if you can wiggle it free by yourself or with a little help. I Pretty much rode it into the ground taking it where people with 4x4 quads wouldn't dream of going including riding it through my friends pond,Broke the valve stem off so i just lowered the psi on the other tire :) was fine in the snow and mud. Now it sits in need of carb work and a tube...
So in my opinion with a 2wd quad its just less to worry about and less to brake.

91Jason91
01-27-2012, 02:22 AM
I would def say 4x4 I always run 2wd but then when it starts getting stuck abit pop her into 4 and im good to go

thetackdriver
01-27-2012, 10:48 AM
All depends on how you'll be riding it. 4x4 is deffinetly nice though when you do get in those sticky situations . Personally i wouldnt buy a 2wd but thats cuz i like to push the dam quad to the limit and see what i can get stuck in. If your just sticking to the roads 2wd should be fine

moosinaround
01-27-2012, 11:44 AM
2wd quad is better than a no wheel drive quad! Get it??;) Moosin

REMINGTON JIM
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
I used to run an old 2x4 moto 4 and good go anywhere guys with 600cc 4x4 could go..... alot of times it depends on how you drive them, no your limits and and your machines limit and a 2x4 will be fine. At the same time I had a choice of using the moto and a 4x4 600... I always took the 2x4, nice and light, great of gas

I have a 1986 yamaha 225 moto 4 2 wd quad - it has being dam near everywhere and packed lots on it ! tough and light - just put a winch on and get going !

CanuckShooter
01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't own a two wheel drive truck...and buying a two wheel drive atv just doesn't make sense...you seem to be OK with one, so why not stick with it??? You must be having second thoughts if your asking on here???

Bro 300
01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
If it is a really good deal, you can always buy it and use it for a while. Then resell it, or trade it in on a 4x4 quad when you have the funds to upgrade. If it does not satisfy your needs.

MOOSE MILK
01-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I have the first 4 wheel 2 wheel drive ATV that Yamaha put out Moto4 and that thing has taken me through more crap than I thought possible. I have hauled lots of moose out of unbeleivable places, one thing that I have done is install a winch on the front and back and carry a set of chains. Go all day on a few ltrs. of fuel
No air filters or belts to replace not like the more modern units. This thing just keeps on going, thought I would run it into the ground but I think that it is going to outlast me!!!