PDA

View Full Version : Stalked by Wolves....

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Last fall while out hunting I had gone for a hike and was over a mile away from our camp, trudging in foot deep snow on an old logging road. I was checking out deer sign and wolf sign...when from out of the woods came the mournful howl of a wolf. And from the other side of the road came another, and another, and another.

I kept walking and the wolves seemed to be following my progress, even though I could not see any of them. When I rounded a corner, I stopped and hid behind a large rock hoping they would show and I could get off a shot on a wolf. Nothing showed, but they continued to howl and I figured that it was a waste of time hunting deer while being followed by a pack of wolves, so I turned and headed back towards camp.

Judging from the number of howls and answers I estimate there were at least six wolves in this pack stalking me..checking me out for weakness so they could swoop in for the kill!! They never did and I made it back to the camp without any events or sightings.

Have you experienced this while out hunting? How well do you think we would make out if attacked by a pack of wolves using our hunting rifles and hunting knives for protection???

pnbrock
01-26-2012, 08:18 AM
I thing the first round would dispurse the animals quite quickly.

deer nut
01-26-2012, 08:19 AM
When I was young & naive I had several chances to shoot wolves but never did (strictly an ungulate hunter). Saw some cool behaviour though. Knowing what I know now, I would definitely shoot one!

That sounds freaky.....I think you'd get one or two but wouldn't stand a chance against a whole pack!

Blainer
01-26-2012, 08:26 AM
200 threads about nothing,and now u decide to tell us about a hunting experience.
are u fibbing???

BigfishCanada
01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
I had a similar experience, but first saw does running around what looked to be like they were playing. then noticed multiple dark shadows, around 3 I could see (Wolves) I actually wish I could have that moment back. They new I was there way before I knew they were!

Piperdown
01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Dam wolves almost did us at huntingbc a favour :wink:

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 08:35 AM
200 threads about nothing,and now u decide to tell us about a hunting experience.
are u fibbing???

No not fibbing, this actually has happened to me on several hunts. I don't have any fear of them, but when you come right down to it I think they could chew us up pretty easily if they chose to. Likely you wouldn't even hear them coming until they were upon you!! I make a habit of always carrying a fixed blade hunting knife on my hip just because of my encounters with wolves and cougars and other toothy creatures that may one day try to even the score. I think a fixed blade at least gives me a chance of fighting back and survival.??

Elkaholic
01-26-2012, 08:47 AM
are u fibbing???

And people wonder why threads get de-railed. Give the guy a chance its a normal post dont stir up the sh!t man.

Now to CS, I think after I heard the first few howls I would have been heading for camp lol. I dont trust the sneaky *******s at all, I only trust a dead wolf. Quite the story thanks for sharing.

MB_Boy
01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
are u fibbing???

And there's no poll!?!?!?!?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

deer nut
01-26-2012, 08:49 AM
I think a fixed blade at least gives me a chance of fighting back and survival.??

If you could get it off your hip in time! I doubt I could with all my layers of gear.

Maybe a combat knife on your pack shoulder strap would be better? I've been thinking along these lines since my cougar stare- down experience....but then I tell myself I'm being paranoid.

I think it's more for a feeling of security than actually being useful - though for cougars, I understand fighting back can be quite effective. I doubt it would do much if a pack of wolves was determined to bring you down.

MB_Boy
01-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I've had close encounters with a small pack one morning while moose hunting. I had climbed out of the canoe and up to a high rocky outcropping in the dark and had started calling. As the sun came up I looked at the next outcropping and could see 4 rocks that were never there before but I just thought my eyes were playing tricks on me in the low light as it was about 150 yards away.

Finally I looked in better light and there were 4 wolves just sitting/lying there watching me while I bellowed like a cow moose. They watched for about an hour before 2 of them got up and came down off the rock and through the bog/meadow area and started up towards me. I wasn't sure what to expect so I grabbed my gun but they just walked to within about 50 yards and sat down to "watch the show". They sat there for another half hour or so until they finally wandered off....it was pretty cool but they definitely seemed more curious as opposed to predatory at all.

No....I didn't pop any of them as there wasn't a big wolf problem in the area back in the day and I was more fascinated by them and strictly chasing moose. :wink: Today....."blam-oh". :mrgreen:

My Dad had sort of a "provoked" predatory encounter. He was up flying surveys counting caribou on the east side of Lake Wpg in the early 80's. They saw a good sized pack out on the ice of one of the lakes so the pilot dropped my Dad off in his black snowmobile suit with a gun and camera. He started calling like moose and the wolves came around some islands in the lake and made a bee line for him. He obviously appeared to be an injured or younger moose out on the ice....well....they came right in to him and had him surrounded. He finally had no choice but to pop the closest one at I think about 10' as it was ready to make the first lunge at the "moose" in front of them. The others scattered pretty quickly but that wolf is still on the wall in my Dad's house to this day.

Fishhound
01-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Good story/question
I think if you managed to kill a couple right off the bat the others might backoff/regroup

I also carry a fixed blade on my belt for security.

Hope I never have to test my theory though

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Good story/question
I think if you managed to kill a couple right off the bat the others might backoff/regroup

I also carry a fixed blade on my belt for security.

Hope I never have to test my theory though

My belt knife is razor sharp, I think it would do more damage than my fists and trying to scratch their eyes out!!!

MCBuckmaster
01-26-2012, 09:05 AM
reminds me of this story from a few years back

Man survives cougar attack by killing it

Friday, August 02, 2002
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2002/graphics/cougar.jpgBCTV News on Global
61-year-old Dave Parker stabbed this cougar to death with his pocketknife after it jumped him on a Port Alice trail.
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2002/graphics/knife.jpgBCTV News on Global
The knife Dave Parker used to kill the cougar.
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/2002/graphics/port_alice.jpgBCTV News on Global

A 61-year-old man won a life-and-death struggle with a cougar outside a small northern Vancouver Island village, killing the animal with his 7.5-centimetre pocket knife.
Dave Parker was jumped from behind while walking on an industrial road two kilometres south of Port Alice, a village of 1,300 about 370 kilometres north of Victoria.
The retired pulp-mill worker was attacked Thursday evening by a 45-kilogram adult male cat, conservation officer Ken Fujino said.
"It was thin but by no means starving," Fujino said from Port Hardy, the nearest sizable town.
"There was no indications as to any physical injuries that we could see that may have provoked the attack."
Parker was being mauled but managed to get to his folding pocket knife.
"A lot of people carry knives out here, or bear spray," said Port Alice Mayor Larry Pepper, a friend of Parker. "People are quite conscious of the fact there's cougars here."
Pepper said Parker managed to turn on the attacking cougar and slit its throat.
Despite extensive wounds, Parker managed to walk about a kilometre to a forest mill's log-sorting area. Late-shift workers rushed him to Port Alice's tiny hospital.
" Because of the seriousness of his injuries they took him by ambulance to Port Hardy and flew him down to the hospital (in Victoria)," said Fujino.
He underwent surgery Friday to repair his wounds and was recovering in the intensive-care unit.
"He's out of surgery and in stable condition," Lianne Peterson, a spokeswoman for Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria, said Friday afternoon. "I don't know much about the surgery other than plastic surgeons were involved."
Pepper said Parker liked to hike and was in good physical condition.
RCMP Const. Jeff Flindall said police found Parker's knife next to the carcass of the dead cougar.
"It is a pocket knife and it is approximately three inches long," Flindall said from Port Alice.

Steelwheels
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Last fall while out hunting I had gone for a hike and was over a mile away from our camp, trudging in foot deep snow on an old logging road. I was checking out deer sign and wolf sign...when from out of the woods came the mournful howl of a wolf. And from the other side of the road came another, and another,

I kept walking and the wolves seemed to be following my progress, even though I could not see any of them. When I rounded a corner, I stopped and hid behind a large rock hoping they would show and I could get off a shot on a wolf. Nothing showed, but they continued to howl and I figured that it was a waste of time hunting deer while being followed by a pack of wolves, so I turned and headed back towards camp.

Judging from the number of howls and answers I estimate there were at least six wolves in this pack stalking me..checking me out for weakness so they could swoop in for the kill!! They never did and I made it back to the camp without any events or sightings.

Have you experienced this while out hunting? How well do you think we would make out if attacked by a pack of wolves using our hunting rifles and hunting knives for protection???

I've seen that happen here to Jeff.....

Glenny
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
I thing the first round would dispurse the animals quite quickly.

Yup. I agree with that.

wsm
01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Are u fibbing???
lololololol:)

steel_ram
01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
I recall at least two occasions where I've found myself surrounded by wolves. I never saw one but could here them howling and communicating. I'm sure I wasn't the object of their attention as the area at the time had lots of deer but it was pretty eerie. This was in the Sooke hills.
I doubt if they really wanted me I wouldn't have had much of a chance even though I was armed.

Tikka270wsm
01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
You should've got down on all fours and began moaning in agony. Might have baited them in close enough to get a shot. LOL.

wsm
01-26-2012, 10:07 AM
i dont think they would ever attack you . for argument sake though if they decided to attack you. you would likely only get 1 shot off 2 if your REALLY lucky . make em count and they might back off. miss and u are food. seeing how quickly my pup turned an intruder to hamburger i wouldnt hold much hope for someone on the wrong end of a wolf attack. once again i doubt wolves would attack a human , very rare

hunter1947
01-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Last fall while out hunting I had gone for a hike and was over a mile away from our camp, trudging in foot deep snow on an old logging road. I was checking out deer sign and wolf sign...when from out of the woods came the mournful howl of a wolf. And from the other side of the road came another, and another, and another.

I kept walking and the wolves seemed to be following my progress, even though I could not see any of them. When I rounded a corner, I stopped and hid behind a large rock hoping they would show and I could get off a shot on a wolf. Nothing showed, but they continued to howl and I figured that it was a waste of time hunting deer while being followed by a pack of wolves, so I turned and headed back to wards camp.

This also happed to me about 40 years ago when I was back into Red Fern lake area off the Alaska highway 70k I was onto 4 bull moose in the second week of Nov a foot of snow on the ground I saw a big wolf sitting down on his hind end watching me and the 4 bull moose.

I closed the distance on the 4 bulls to about 200 yard when this wolf caught my eyes this wolf was crawling on his front two legs with his hind legs up in the air coming directly down to wards me ,he was about 50 yards from me when something caught my eye to me left there where two more wolves coming in at me from a different direction I looked all around me and notices three more coming in from another angle I fired my 7mm at the big one that was coming in at me.

I hit him dead he flipped over a couple times I loaded up as fast as I could after shooting this big male wolf then noticed the other had turned and where running away from me ,back then never thought of taking the wolf hid for a rug I just left him there wish I had kept that male wolf hid now.

The only thing I can figure why theses wolfs where coming in on me was to do with the smell of them 4 bulls i was tracking for a good shot ???

Good Old Outdoors
01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
I would be crapping my pants if i had a pack surround me thinking i was dinner, then rip off a shot or 2 and hope they go away so i can waddle back to my truck and change my skivies lol

wingsuit
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
my father had a cougar encounter a number of years back that sounded pretty exciting at the time. It was out of deer season (in alberta) and he was scouting for some areas to work out of (without a rifle) he had stopped for a break and had a tarp underneath him when he looked up and saw two cougars making a run for him from a 100+ meters out! All of a sudden one made a turn and split off into the woods, while the other continued straight at him. He pulled out the tarp from underneath him and starting yelling and waving the tarp. The cougar in his face stopped about 15-20 feet out just staring at him. All the while he's trying to find the one that split into the woods. The standoff lasted for about 5 min until the cougar finally decided it wasnt worth it and turned around and left. I cant remember if he ever saw that second cougar again, but I do remember he was convinced that the one in his face was holding his attention to let the other slip around behind him.

Tikka270
01-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Great stories guys. I have never seen a wolf while hunting, but this year I saw a ton of tracks. The road I was on it looked like about five or six wolves going down the road and the road meets another and about five or six more wolves join this pack. The tracks from all the wolves were spread as wide as the road.

BernDawg
01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Back in 2005 I was working up North, I mean as far North as you can go in Canada and keep your feet on solid ground. One evening I decided to take the long way around the station to the wood shop so I could take a couple of pics of the lights at the front entrance. While walking past the loading bay to the kitchen I noticed a female wolf nosing around the trash bin. Now, seeing wolves around the station is not unusual however it was early fall so we were full into 24hrs of night and the next sunrise was scheduled for April sometime and the local pack was starting to get hungry. As I made my way past the bin she took notice of me, again nothing unusual here but I saw something move in my peripheral vision and turned my head to see another female circling to my rear from the back of the bin. In short order I had one in front of me and one behind, both with their ears back moving towards me in a low stalk. As a precaution we carried bear spray (large can) in our parka pockets at all times but no-one had had to use it since long before I arrived about 6 months prior to this.
Normally the wolves would scent the wind when we were nearby and be on their way, not tonight! I tried to talk them off; sometimes if they hear your voice they realize you’re not prey. Well that didn't work. I took out the bear spray and started shaking the can, must have looked pretty stupid standing there shaking a can of bear spray tell her she was "gonna get it!". I figure I let the spray go just as she was preparing to take her first lunge. She dropped like a rock! Let out a yelp and started rubbing her face in the snow! The one behind me took off as soon as she heard the yelp from the first one.
Sure was comforting finding out that the bear spray hadn't frozen in my pocket....

This may or may not be her but she is from the same pack, pic taken a few months prior.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Wolf8.JPG

stitch
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM
are u fibbing???

That was my thought......just hearing about this now?

BCrams
01-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm one of those regarding a change in perception that wolves won't attack humans if given the opportunity to do so. While largely warry and the liklihood of having it happen is unlikely, being followed by a few large wolves in an area where farms and human presence may have caused them to lose some fear raises the question.......why wouldn't they?

It was rather un-nerving especially when you've got a 2 yr old in your pack and no firearm - several km's from the truck while shed hunting. I'm sure having the dog by my side helped but did I ever have to restrain him at one point where there was a bottle neck of thick timber along the road I was hiking out on. After a couple km's I was at the edge of a large clearing bisected by roads and I watched my back trail ... one of them walked out shortly and the little guy still talks about the wolf he saw.

Gateholio
01-26-2012, 01:24 PM

I am pretty sure that shooting a wolf with a hunting rifle will kill it. I don't think anyone armed with a gun is in danger of being eaten by wolves.

steel_ram
01-26-2012, 01:43 PM
People have gone missing on the Islands along the inside passage and are suspected of being eaten by wolves. I vaguely recall stories of lighthouse keepers be terrorized by wolves which infested these areas. Wolves don't leave much evidence, except perhaps the soles of the victims shoes.

Livewire322
01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
.44mag mares leg for encounters of the toothier side
Drop leg holster for quick employment if not revert to the Bowie...

The Hermit
01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
News flash... Liam Neeson has been replaced by an unheard of Canadian in the lead role of the upcoming movie Grey. Filmed outside of Smithers, the movie casts CanuckShooter as the hero after a plane crash who has to fight off a pack of hungry wolves with just a knife and his cunning! Opens across Canada on Fri Jan 27th!

wildcatter
01-26-2012, 02:37 PM
The thought of being attacked by wolves have been in the back of my mind ever since
I saw a pack of 7 stalking a mulie doe and fawn while hunting on Big Dog mountain.
They didn't see me but were not far off and yes I always carry a good size fix blade knife.

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Last fall I was out hunting with 5 friends when we saw another hunter sneaking into one of OUR honey holes! We quickly spread out around him in the bush and started to howl. We had to be careful as the guy was getting really paranoid and even hid behind a rock trying to ambush the "wolfpack"! After about 10 minutes he ran off screeching like a school girl and we continued hunting :)

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Last fall I was out hunting with 5 friends when we saw another hunter sneaking into one of OUR honey holes! We quickly spread out around him in the bush and started to howl. We had to be careful as the guy was getting really paranoid and even hid behind a rock trying to ambush the "wolfpack"! After about 10 minutes he ran off screeching like a school girl and we continued hunting :)

Joker....;-)

Maverick
01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
i had an encounter with a wolf many years ago. I had gotten up early grabbed my camera a set out for a short hike through Beaudry provincial park. This park is situated along the banks of the Assiniboine river in Manitoba. It is approximately 2000 acres and is only about 10 minutes west of winnipeg. I had taken one of the trails in the park and was taking photos along the way when a doe starts vocalizing ( not sure if i would call it a bleat or grunt). I look into the bush and spot this doe who seems to be looking at me and vocalizing the it bounds away. i watched it disappear and then turn my attention back to the trail ahead of me. Thats when this wolf darts across this trail definately intent on following the doe. To this day can't help but wonder if that doe was warning me as i was between her and the wolf.

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 06:59 PM
We were camped in our 8' truck/camper combo in a place near Adams lake it was mid november with about a foot and 1/2 of snow on the ground. We stood outside in the snow having our last smoke of the day, just enjoying the solitude that night and a light snow was falling. We went to bed that night and slept like logs and upon waking in the morning we went outside and there were HUGE wolf tracks everywhere around the camper....we never heard a thing, just can't help but think how lucky I was that I didn't have to go outside for a leak in the night!!

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
While camping with my St. Bernard near Adams lake... :)

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Back in 2005 I was working up North, I mean as far North as you can go in Canada and keep your feet on solid ground. One evening I decided to take the long way around the station to the wood shop so I could take a couple of pics of the lights at the front entrance. While walking past the loading bay to the kitchen I noticed a female wolf nosing around the trash bin. Now, seeing wolves around the station is not unusual however it was early fall so we were full into 24hrs of night and the next sunrise was scheduled for April sometime and the local pack was starting to get hungry. As I made my way past the bin she took notice of me, again nothing unusual here but I saw something move in my peripheral vision and turned my head to see another female circling to my rear from the back of the bin. In short order I had one in front of me and one behind, both with their ears back moving towards me in a low stalk. As a precaution we carried bear spray (large can) in our parka pockets at all times but no-one had had to use it since long before I arrived about 6 months prior to this.
Normally the wolves would scent the wind when we were nearby and be on their way, not tonight! I tried to talk them off; sometimes if they hear your voice they realize you’re not prey. Well that didn't work. I took out the bear spray and started shaking the can, must have looked pretty stupid standing there shaking a can of bear spray tell her she was "gonna get it!". I figure I let the spray go just as she was preparing to take her first lunge. She dropped like a rock! Let out a yelp and started rubbing her face in the snow! The one behind me took off as soon as she heard the yelp from the first one.
Sure was comforting finding out that the bear spray hadn't frozen in my pocket....

This may or may not be her but she is from the same pack, pic taken a few months prior.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Wolf8.JPG

Good pic, were they all white up there or did you have all the normal colour variations???

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Ben Cochrum-1922-shot 7 wolves and clubed 4 more to death before they killed and ate him!(Ont.)
James Smith-1910-killed 5 wolves but was pulled down before he could reload!(Iowa)
Trapper and 2 Indians-1922-when a trapper failed to return, 2 natives were sent to find him. All 3 were killed by wolves!(Ont.)

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Ben Cochrum-1922-shot 7 wolves and clubed 4 more to death before they killed and ate him!(Ont.)
James Smith-1910-killed 5 wolves but was pulled down before he could reload!(Iowa)
Trapper and 2 Indians-1922-when a trapper failed to return, 2 natives were sent to find him. All 3 were killed by wolves!(Ont.)

Where is that from???

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Last fall a friend of mine was calling moose but got a wolf pack instead, there were about 20 in the pack. When they were within range he started shooting but they wouldn't leave, he shot 6 and walked back to his truck with one round remaining, said he was a little spooked!

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Where is that from???

google wolf attacks on humans, Wikipedia has a graph

REMINGTON JIM
01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
No not fibbing, this actually has happened to me on several hunts. I don't have any fear of them, but when you come right down to it I think they could chew us up pretty easily if they chose to. Likely you wouldn't even hear them coming until they were upon you!! I make a habit of always carrying a fixed blade hunting knife on my hip just because of my encounters with wolves and cougars and other toothy creatures that may one day try to even the score. I think a fixed blade at least gives me a chance of fighting back and survival.??

Hey canuck Shooter - you should probably be more worried about 2 legged creatures evening the score with you then the 4 legged ones ! Ha ! LOL !

btsuga
01-26-2012, 07:54 PM
In 7-8 this past October a friend of mine and a new 16 yo hunter were calling moose when they saw a wolf pop out across a lake a few hundred yards away, then watched as it swam across the lake directly towards them. Expecting it to turn away when it got closer they did not let off a shot in order not to wreck the moose hunting. It popped up again around 30 feet away from their location. A shot was fired at that point but no kill made. Kind of shook them up a bit.

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 07:56 PM
2 of my relatives in Sask. in th 1930s had a close call! The son was on the tractor and the wolves were trying to climb on with him. he had the throtle wide open and the inside break stomped hard. His father saw what was happening, got a rifle from the barn and shot some wolves. The govt. officials woul not believe they had been attacked, they were told that wolves in Canada do not attack people!!!

77Gunner
01-26-2012, 08:02 PM
i've often thought about this hunting heavy timber while its windy ( don't know why ) figure if you were being surrounded try to i.d. the alpha male and make the first shot count.

st99
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
these are some good stories...

Last month I called in a wolf pack and shot the first one, probably the alpha female. I walked up to her, drop my gun and grab my camera for some pictures, at that moment I heard a bark right beside me. Droped the camera, grab the gun and look around. The pack came back, they were in the trees, I couldn't see any, the treeline was at about 20 yards, so the pack was at no more than 40 yards, they stayed there barking and howling at me for about 15 minutes, until I decided I had enough and start walking toward them, barking at them. At that point they moved off slowly and kept barking and howling for over half an hour.

st99
01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I tried to add a picture, but it didn't work

bigslim
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Lets be honest, us humans are useless feable creatures when put up against any wild animal. I've seen the toughest guy scared sh#tless over a raccoon. If a cougar or wolf was out to get you by stalking, surrounding, following you it would be game over. None of us would have a chance. Imho these animals are curious wondering wtf is this big slow clumsy completely non threatening thing doing. They are watching us and communicating with each other and if possible they would be laughing.

Moose Guide
01-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Lets be honest, us humans are useless feable creatures when put up against any wild animal. I've seen the toughest guy scared sh#tless over a raccoon. If a cougar or wolf was out to get you by stalking, surrounding, following you it would be game over. None of us would have a chance. Imho these animals are curious wondering wtf is this big slow clumsy completely non threatening thing doing. They are watching us and communicating with each other and if possible they would be laughing.

Go tell Candice Berner and Kenton Carnegie that the wolves are just curious.

deer nut
01-26-2012, 08:47 PM

You got that right!! Carrying fixed-blade knives & lots of rounds is a good idea,though - even if only for psychological value!

bigslim
01-26-2012, 08:53 PM

So 2 people out of how many, come on do the math!

huntcoop
01-26-2012, 08:57 PM

Candice Berner's cause of death was a mauling. It was never confirmed that wolves were her killers. Kenton Carnegie's cause of death was a violent predatory attack EITHER by wolves or a black bear.

bigslim
01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Does anybody personally know of somebody that was confirmed attacked, I mean physically scarred and bloodied by said man maulers. All joking aside I would be very intrested to find out .

Monashee
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Interesting study of wolf attacks here , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_attacks_on_humans

BromBones
01-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Nothing to fear, CS.

Old wolf bites you he'd never eat meat again ;)

Monashee
01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
There was a man attacked by a wolf on Vargas Island in 2000 , turns out the wolves were habituated to people by being fed and more recently a kayaker was attacked by a starving wolf up the coast in 2007

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=1dcce3eb-981f-4f7f-b621-d86820d548eb

also some incidents involving wolves here , http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=44d94f6e-11cd-46b6-84c4-3f48d8df838b

and a forum member had an interesting incident a few months ago ... nice photo on page 3 here http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75420-Tracking-Wolf-Progression-through-the-West-Kootenays/page3&highlight=cheetah

proguide66
01-26-2012, 09:29 PM
"..checking me out for weakness so they could swoop in for the kill!!"...................please ,:roll::roll:..........ANY pack animal "looking for a weakness" is going to be in your FACE looking for a weakness in you....not howling out of sight........you should write a fiction novel with all this 'typing time' on yer paws!:?

BernDawg
01-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Good pic, were they all white up there or did you have all the normal colour variations???
Nope they're all white. I'll see if I can find more pics, they're around here somewhere.

olharley guy
01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Candice Berner's cause of death was a mauling. It was never confirmed that wolves were her killers. Kenton Carnegie's cause of death was a violent predatory attack EITHER by wolves or a black bear.

Howdy, Anchorage Daily News-Dec. 7/11

DNA tests on the two wolves that were chased down and killed - confirmed they were the ones that killed the young lady. Later

BernDawg
01-26-2012, 09:47 PM

Alaska fish and game confirmed it with DNA tests

Mr Butler said: "All lines of evidence are consistent with the conclusion that two or more wolves killed Ms Berner.

http://www.whatsontianjin.com/news-2044-dna-test-says-alaska-teacher-candice-berner-32-killed-by-wolves-while-jogging.html

The ADF&G report...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/home/news/pdfs/wolfattackfatality.pdf

proguide66
01-26-2012, 09:49 PM
After reading a thread title like this it better have an outcome like this in it:twisted:

http://youtu.be/zWpzxzDGxr0

Monashee
01-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Good reason to carry pepper spray and in Alaska I believe you are allowed to carry a handgun as these women would have found useful ... if they were experienced shooters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGXWy3htXgQ

CanuckShooter
01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
"..checking me out for weakness so they could swoop in for the kill!!"...................please ,:roll::roll:..........ANY pack animal "looking for a weakness" is going to be in your FACE looking for a weakness in you....not howling out of sight........you should write a fiction novel with all this 'typing time' on yer paws!:?

You like that part eh?? I thought it added to the thread starter by putting a little drama in...glad you appreciated it. CS

CanuckShooter
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Nothing to fear, CS.

Old wolf bites you he'd never eat meat again ;)

LOL GOOD ONE.....that would be one dumb wolf. ;-)

Moose Guide
01-27-2012, 11:54 PM

Do some more research, the only tracks around Berner were wolf and it was winter! It has been proved that Kenton was killed by wolves even though green peace types tried to say it was a bear, the locals followed the wolf tracks to his carcass but even the coroner said it was a wolf attack and not a bear!

sky-gunner
01-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Guess what, coyotes have killed people, bears have killed people, cougars have killed people, buffalo have gored and killed people, moose, elk, blah blah blah. I could list just about every large animal on the planet. Wild animals at times, will kill or injure humans. Espcially if they are sick or starving or wounded. But out of all the carnivores in bc, I would be the least concerned about wolves. Every year someone gets mauled by a bear or a cougar. The same cannot be said for wolves. Shit Pitt bulls kill more people a year than wolves. I personally don't find wolves all that scary. The only experience I have had with one was driving up the yellowhead a few years ago, it's was early like day break, just outside valemount, I saw a big black wolf walking along the side of the road. Having never seen one I stopped and pulled over. He stopped too. I opened my car door, and I stood up and we sat there looking at each other for about a minute. He was no more than 15ft away, if he wanted me he'd have had me in a heartbeat. But no we exchanged glances, he casually turned and walked off into the bush. Not aggressive at all just curious. I Personaly believe there is alot of misuderstanding about wolves, but that's just me. I don't hunt them nor will I ever, I like them too much and the one experience with the one on the road will stay with me forever. It's hard to describe the feeling I got when we were staring at each other, but it wasn't a "I'm the next meal" type feeling that's for sure.

Canadian276
01-28-2012, 12:34 AM
People have gone missing on the Islands along the inside passage and are suspected of being eaten by wolves. I vaguely recall stories of lighthouse keepers be terrorized by wolves which infested these areas. Wolves don't leave much evidence, except perhaps the soles of the victims shoes.

Maybe thats where all the feet along the shores of georgia straight are coming from haha

Livewire322
01-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Guess what, coyotes have killed people, bears have killed people, cougars have killed people, buffalo have gored and killed people, moose, elk, blah blah blah. I could list just about every large animal on the planet. Wild animals at times, will kill or injure humans. Espcially if they are sick or starving or wounded. But out of all the carnivores in bc, I would be the least concerned about wolves. Every year someone gets mauled by a bear or a cougar. The same cannot be said for wolves. Shit Pitt bulls kill more people a year than wolves. I personally don't find wolves all that scary. The only experience I have had with one was driving up the yellowhead a few years ago, it's was early like day break, just outside valemount, I saw a big black wolf walking along the side of the road. Having never seen one I stopped and pulled over. He stopped too. I opened my car door, and I stood up and we sat there looking at each other for about a minute. He was no more than 15ft away, if he wanted me he'd have had me in a heartbeat. But no we exchanged glances, he casually turned and walked off into the bush. Not aggressive at all just curious. I Personaly believe there is alot of misuderstanding about wolves, but that's just me. I don't hunt them nor will I ever, I like them too much and the one experience with the one on the road will stay with me forever. It's hard to describe the feeling I got when we were staring at each other, but it wasn't a "I'm the next meal" type feeling that's for sure.
Look at it from a per capita basis, how many people are fortunate enough to see a wolf in a year? now how often do people come in contact with a pit bull... The numbers arent large because there isnt enough chance for the numbers to be large!

sky-gunner
01-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Look at it from a per capita basis, how many people are fortunate enough to see a wolf in a year? now how often do people come in contact with a pit bull... The numbers arent large because there isnt enough chance for the numbers to be large!

Valid point, although I still believe there are far more dangerous animals out there than wolves. But like I said that's just my opinion.

Livewire322
01-28-2012, 01:37 AM
im not disagreeing with you, i am simply providing a cause to your effect!

sky-gunner
01-28-2012, 03:37 AM
im not disagreeing with you, i am simply providing a cause to your effect!

Hahaha I know, and it was a very valid point, I had not taken that into consideration. :)

huntinnewbie
01-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Are there any wolves in the merritt area? We were hunting up Larson Hill and had gone as far in back as the road allowed. There was a couple of inches of snow and way back in there were canine tracks everywhere. They seemed to be to big for yotes. I wondered at the time if they were wolf tracks. We camped for the weekend and never heard any howling but we were camped quite low down, closer to the Coq.

Good Old Outdoors
01-28-2012, 06:41 AM
I have read quite a few posts saying there are lots out that way. If the tracks are too big to be coyote, my guess is its a wolf.

Blainer
01-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Guess what, coyotes have killed people, bears have killed people, cougars have killed people, buffalo have gored and killed people, moose, elk, blah blah blah. I could list just about every large animal on the planet. Wild animals at times, will kill or injure humans. Espcially if they are sick or starving or wounded. But out of all the carnivores in bc, I would be the least concerned about wolves. Every year someone gets mauled by a bear or a cougar. The same cannot be said for wolves. Shit Pitt bulls kill more people a year than wolves. I personally don't find wolves all that scary. The only experience I have had with one was driving up the yellowhead a few years ago, it's was early like day break, just outside valemount, I saw a big black wolf walking along the side of the road. Having never seen one I stopped and pulled over. He stopped too. I opened my car door, and I stood up and we sat there looking at each other for about a minute. He was no more than 15ft away, if he wanted me he'd have had me in a heartbeat. But no we exchanged glances, he casually turned and walked off into the bush. Not aggressive at all just curious. I Personaly believe there is alot of misuderstanding about wolves, but that's just me. I don't hunt them nor will I ever, I like them too much and the one experience with the one on the road will stay with me forever. It's hard to describe the feeling I got when we were staring at each other, but it wasn't a "I'm the next meal" type feeling that's for sure.I would assume that's how Timothy Treadwell felt.
At the end of his 13th summer in the park in 2003, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were killed and partially eaten by a grizzly bear. Treadwell's life, work ...

sky-gunner
01-28-2012, 07:25 AM
I would assume that's how Timothy Treadwell felt.
At the end of his 13th summer in the park in 2003, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were killed and partially eaten by a grizzly bear. Treadwell's life, work ...

Yea, ok, be scarred of the wolves then I don't care, they don't bother me. Treadwell was asking to get eaten, I've seen the grizzly man. He tried to pet the bears, shit he thought he was a bear. He also stayed well passed his usual departure date and ran into a hungry bear that hadn't gone off to bed yet, there was no salmon around, and you have a meal following you around, filming you practically begging to be eaten. And what do you mean his lifes work? All he did was harass and habituate bears to people. He fully got what was coming to him. There isn't a single respectable thing he did. Perhaps check out the documentary called The Wolf Man. Far more intresting, and educational about the behavioral patterns of wolves. Fact grizzly bears have killed far more people than wolves. Fact 2, almost all animal attacks are foreshadowed by warning signs, ie bare chomping his teeth, puffing, avoiding eye contact, head down, same with canines, bearing of teeth tail down and between the legs, ears back ect. If I was a perceived threat, or meal, there would be signs. I didn't see any of this at all, just straight curiosity. If you've watched the grizzly man like I assume you have, you'd have noticed treadwell Ignoring the warning signs from several bears, with his "get back bear" "oh you just wanna be my friend don't you cute old grizzly bear" attitude. If you ask me he was lucky to have made it as long as he did. Point is anything wild can be dangerous and unpredictable, in the grand scheme of things, your more likely to be cougar or grizz bait, then to be eaten by wolves.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2012, 04:02 PM
A good thing this thread is about being stalked by wolves, I have had this experience on many occasions and I would be a little less than intelligent if I ignored the fact that they are very efficient predators. These meat eating creatures will stalk and kill the old and weak.....no doubt. Just don't get eatenby not taking them stalking you seriously....one sign of fear or weakness and you could we wolf bait...always be prepared to defend yourself!

SimilkameenSlayer
01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
interesting story CS, thanks for sharing.

hunter1947
01-29-2012, 04:02 AM
This was the most exciting incounter I had with wolfs the link says it all.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/hunter1947/Wolf%20Call%20In%202011/?action=view&current=277_New.mp4

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd392/hunter1947/Wolf%20Call%20In%202011/th_277_New.jpg

.330 Dakota
01-29-2012, 09:25 AM

I believe this, I have heard of this before and actually ended up standing between pack members (quite by accident) on a logging road last fall. I could see fleeting glimpes of them but not enough to shoot. They were quite large and it was tense and really cool at the same time. They quickly dispersed when they realized I wasnt a moose or a deer though

01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Was out with the bow cow calling elk and had two wolves come in on a dead run, one stopped in front of me, the other ran around behind me. It was pretty heavy cover, so the encounter was close. Had about a 5 second staring contest with the one facing me, at about 20 feet, with me yelling and waving arms before it decided to vacate. I did manage to semi-collect my thoughts and get an arrow off but despite cutting a little hair, it didn't connect with vitals. Got to feel like prey for a few minutes. Glad I'm not on that end of the food chain! It was obvious to me they had a very efficient system worked out for taking down prey, and it would have been all over for me in seconds if they didn't have a strong fear of man.

thunderheart
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
be assured sport you do not speak for everyone .. unless of course you ment you were almost eaten ...

thunderheart
01-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I am pretty sure that shooting a wolf with a hunting rifle will kill it. I don't think anyone armed with a gun is in danger of being eaten by wolves.
i dunno .. are you really sure ? i mean you are a chef /// sorry but just wondering

thunderheart
01-29-2012, 04:46 PM
good thread even with the ney sayers .. thanks jeff and even tho i think clarke is right it sure puts a chill up your spine when out in the shrubbery and one lets go with a howl

CanuckShooter
02-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't kid yourself, a wolf will attack if hungry enough!! They can hide under the boughs of a tree and be upon unsuspecting prey before they know what hit them.

gcreek
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
CS, that ever happens again you get your back against a rock or big tree. Whine like a puppy and you may just get a shot or two.

Calamity
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
One of our neighbours was checking his fencelines on horseback and was actually surrounded by a small pack. He hadn't been packing a rifle that day - just the usual fencing gear (wire stretchers, pliers, hammer, scraps of wire, staples, etc.).

The horse had been getting antsy, and if remember right he said that he spotted the first one when he rode into a tiny clearing in the bush. He said there were 4 of them (if I am remembering correctly).

They kept back at the edge of the bushes and kept circling him and the horse. He really sounded like he had his hands full trying to keep the horse from bolting - he said he shouted at them loudly and often but it didn't seem to faze them.

I don't recall how long they kept at it before they lost interest and slunk off, but I believe it was something like half an hour or so. Must have seemed like an eternity to him.

I bet he never forgot to tie on his rifle in it's scabbard after that!

budismyhorse
02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........you should work in the bush for a living......this happens quite often. I know a gal who clunked one on the nose with a planting shovel......it screwed off. Wolves are just a curious bunch. If they wanted to kill humans the bush would be a much different place.

REMINGTON JIM
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
One of our neighbours was checking his fencelines on horseback and was actually surrounded by a small pack. He hadn't been packing a rifle that day - just the usual fencing gear (wire stretchers, pliers, hammer, scraps of wire, staples, etc.).

The horse had been getting antsy, and if remember right he said that he spotted the first one when he rode into a tiny clearing in the bush. He said there were 4 of them (if I am remembering correctly).

They kept back at the edge of the bushes and kept circling him and the horse. He really sounded like he had his hands full trying to keep the horse from bolting - he said he shouted at them loudly and often but it didn't seem to faze them.

I don't recall how long they kept at it before they lost interest and slunk off, but I believe it was something like half an hour or so. Must have seemed like an eternity to him.

I bet he never forgot to tie on his rifle in it's scabbard after that!

He should be packing a h?????n on his hip when all alone out in the back country ! JMHO

BearStump
02-10-2012, 01:54 PM

for the most part...yes, this is true. I hope no one rats us out to the wolves and tells them that we only have 3 or 4 bullets in our gun. I know that I have gone for some pretty long hikes from the truck with only 4 bullets. I cant be the only one.
leave truck with 4 bullets, kill deer with lets say 2 bullets, now you are left with only 2 bullets to fend off any type of attack. while you hike 5 miles with a dead deer on your back.

Just sayin' something to put a bit of thought into.

Livewire322
02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
for the most part...yes, this is true. I hope no one rats us out to the wolves and tells them that we only have 3 or 4 bullets in our gun. I know that I have gone for some pretty long hikes from the truck with only 4 bullets. I cant be the only one.
leave truck with 4 bullets, kill deer with lets say 2 bullets, now you are left with only 2 bullets to fend off any type of attack. while you hike 5 miles with a dead deer on your back.

Just sayin' something to put a bit of thought into.
That's why multiple magazines and a box of shells are a must!

OutWest
02-10-2012, 04:44 PM
That's why multiple magazines and a box of shells are a must!

You pack multiple magazines and a box of shells?

Livewire322
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
When I'm using my rifle that has detachable mags hell yes I pack more than one! I normally have two or three with different sized bullets in them! I.E. a mag full of 180 gr soft points for my .303 and a mag of 200 gr as well...
I'm buying 3 detachable mags for my sks

91Jason91
02-10-2012, 06:21 PM
if they all rushed at once and they didnt run from the gun shot you would be dead...... with just a hunting riffle

Livewire322
02-11-2012, 12:52 AM
If like to think if I had my sks and a fixed blade I'd be able to deal with 3 maybe 4 but I'd defininitly require stitches

hunterdon
02-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Does anybody personally know of somebody that was confirmed attacked, I mean physically scarred and bloodied by said man maulers. All joking aside I would be very intrested to find out .

2 of my relatives in Sask. in th 1930s had a close call! The son was on the tractor and the wolves were trying to climb on with him. he had the throtle wide open and the inside break stomped hard. His father saw what was happening, got a rifle from the barn and shot some wolves. The govt. officials woul not believe they had been attacked, they were told that wolves in Canada do not attack people!!!

I'm a bit of a late comer to this thread. Hey moose guide, interesting that you mentioned about 1930,s Saskatchewan attack. Big Slim here is a story told to me by my older hunting buddy originally from Saskatchewan. He has passed away since. Although there is no official confirmation of this attack, after all this did happen in the 1930,s in Northern Saskatchewan, knowing the man very well, I have no doubt that his story happened as he told it to me. Here's his account.

Back in the 1930,s somewhere in Northern Saskatchewan, his father along with 2 other men were moose hunting in the winter time. Back then, people relied heavily on moose to sustain them through the winter. These 3 men were on the way back from an fruitless hunting trip of several days walk. (no snowmobiles then) They had hunted hard but had to return home as they were hungry, cold and tired. Their food supply was exhausted. They were only several hours walk from home when they came to a large and wide lake which they had to cross in order to make their way home. The problem was the lake was very wide and would take at least an hours walk to cross and it was already getting dark.

The three men apparently had a heated argument about whether to cross the lake and push on home through the night. One man was determined to go on. But the other men, including my buddy's father had argued that it was to dangerous to cross at night for fear of wolves. He argued that a man would silhouette himself out in the open lake and wolves from miles away perhaps walking along the shoreline would easily see him. Wolves could easily overtake a man before he could make it to shore. Anyways they could not agree and one man left to cross the lake on his own, while the other 2 men made camp for the night.

According to his father's account, about a half hour or so after the lone man left, they heard about 3 rifle shots fired in quick succession. They also heard what sounded like yells or screams. They knew exactly what happened. After a quick discussion, they decided that there was nothing that they could do as by the time they could get there it would be just to late to do anything. First thing the next morning they set out on the lake. They found what remained of their partner. The scene was nothing short of horrible. The snow was colored in blood, 2 wolves laid dead and only a few body parts (feet inside boots) along with some fragments of clothing were left. Everything else was consumed by the wolves.

So here is my take on wolves attacking humans. Wolves rarely attack humans. However wolves being pack animals are led by one dominate wolf. They hunt as a single unit led by this dominant wolf. I think wolves are like people in the sense that most wolves act normally. But every now and then, just like people, there is a bad wolf. If that pack is led by a bad wolf, then that could be bad news. Also, in hard times when game is scarce and wolves are hungry, a desperate wild animal will do what it has to in order to survive.

budismyhorse
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Very cool post.... Thank you!

Agreed as well