PDA

View Full Version : Doe/Fawn question

bruno
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
My son is 11 and has his junior hunting license. In region 7a he is allowed to hunt and shoot anterless deer using my tags. We have been onto several White tail and Mule deer does at less than 30 mtrs. All of the does that we have come across have fawns with them, alot of them twins. My son refuses to shoot a doe with a fawn and that's that. At this time of year if the doe is shot will the fawns make it through the winter? His dream is a buck bot there is a ton of does around.
Thanks

Rainwater
10-11-2006, 11:40 AM
I've seen WT fawns survive even in late summer after their Mother was killed on the Hwy. You won't get alot of meat but a late season fawn (yearling) is the tastiest critter on the planet. Let you Son make his own decision and stick by him either way.

PGKris
10-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Question....why not shoot the fawn? Not as much meat but sure tasty.

Edit: Here in PG....I'd say there's a low chance of a fawn surviving the winter.

rocksteady
10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Good on your son for making a decision such as that, it shows he cares about the wildlife and has ethics...

If he wants to hold out for a buck, support him. If he does not score on one this year, that part of the hunting (learning) experience, and it will make it even better when he does get one....

todbartell
10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
I dont know for sure, but I bet the odds go way down for that fawn(s) surviving

abbyfireguy
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Wait for a doe without a Fawn..
My son is the same way..If I ever shot doe with a fawn I'd never hear the end of it..Not that I have ever shot a doe....

ellellbee
10-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Don't urge him to take the doe, it may put him off hunting altogether. Better to wait for a single doe or a buck and have a satisfied hunter on your hands. Good for him to have such ethics at the age of 11.

oldtimer
10-11-2006, 01:54 PM
I doubt the fawn would make it up here or anywhere. Too many predators.

wetcoaster
10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I finally pulled my first doe draw this year and passed up a number of wet does before I finally found a dry one. It's just a personal choice and I have nothing against those that take them. I am in the same boat as the others if he has made that choice good for him and stick by it. He obviously stands up for what he believes in and is willing to be patient you should be proud of him. You will find a dry doe there are more out there than you think.

Orphaned fawns especially early in the season are fodder for predators. Having said that with every passing day the fawns are more likely to survive as the does increasingly group up and begin to dry up anyway. I was already starting to see groups this weekend. The orphaned fawns find a group and stick to it like glue as tme wears on it starts getting difficult to tell wet does from dry. In these cases I would likely feel much less touchy about taking a doe as part of a larger group of other does with fawns.

Seeadler
10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Find a doe that has her yearling doe fawn still with her. Either that or take the fawn, probably 40 lbs of meat on one.

bruno
10-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Sorry, don't get me wrong and not pushing or urging my son to shoot anything I think it is great he has made his own decision. He's a way calmer and safer hunter than alot of adults I've hunted with. I just tried asking a question for interests sake for myself, not for him.
He had a great weekend shot 7 grouse saw moose, deer, rabbits and one 5 point elk. The elk was less than70 yrds away just at sundown.

3kills
10-11-2006, 04:54 PM
great ethics for an 11 year old be proud of him....just hold out for a nice dry doe...i m sure a fawn wont survive but u can always shoot the fawn a young whitey fawn is dam good eating just not much meat on them....good luck to ur son and i hope he finds something he wants to shoot...

mrdoog
10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Bruno:
-Obviously your son is the recipient of some fine coaching.

dawn2dusk
10-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Good on your son for making a decision such as that, it shows he cares about the wildlife and has ethics...

If he wants to hold out for a buck, support him. If he does not score on one this year, that part of the hunting (learning) experience, and it will make it even better when he does get one....

Right on rocksteady.