PDA

View Full Version : why aren't we seeing dead wolfs ??????????

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Well for the last few months here there has been a ton of issues with bc having to many wolfs and the ungulate populations have suffered because of them.
Its prime time to start seeing some dead ones comming in.Is no one out hunting them? Are they that tough to get?Is everyone expecting the trappers to eliminate them?.
I know that if region 8 was open to wolfs,i'd be out there doing everything in my power as a resident hunter to eliminate every wolf i saw no matter what.
With all the sucky negitive threads i've seen lately around here,it has me wondering why everyone isn't out killing those good for nothing dawgs.
I know ya all aren't warm weather pu$$ies ,so if you can,go kill them critters and bring back pics and stories.we need em dead and we need hunting threads that are better then whats been on lately.
oh ya
goodluck
bhb

SUAFOYT
01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Talk to most hunters and I'd bet the number of live wolves they've seen can be counted on one hand. The picture below is a situation I'd love to come upon with a few friends when all of us have banana clips :)

http://allcreatures.tumblr.com/post/11652770291/a-massive-pack-of-25-timberwolves-hunting-bison

01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
These were killed in the Elk Valley a couple weeks ago by friends of mine.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00065.jpg (javascript:;)

.330 Dakota
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
These were killed in the Elk Valley a couple weeks ago by friends of mine.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_00065.jpg (javascript:;)

The one on the left looks like a big one

Stone Sheep Steve
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Bullets from hunters' guns (from the ground) won't do much to put a dent in any wolf population.
While having a hunting season in Reg 8 might make us feel good, it won't slow the growth of the wolf population. We would also need a trapping season and several gung-ho, experienced trappers to go with it.

SSS

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 01:29 PM
thats what i'm talking about,DEAD DAWGS.give your buddy huges hi 5s for me woulds 66

lilhoss
01-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Would love to get out,but too many gates.All the back country is locked up for hunters in the off season(After Dec/10).Country is not as wide open as up north,so spotting and having a shoot fest is about as common as a Rosey draw.The wolves around here travel from one logging area to the next and they don't worry about gates.Had a buddy that used to trap years ago,spent alot of time and expense,with very little return,..but that sounds like a lot of hobbies we all take up!

Skull Hunter
01-25-2012, 01:55 PM
I took out a nice big female just before the new year (See the 2011 big game contest thread for photo and details). I missed 2 on Christmas eve as well. MY hunting partner limited out on wolves (3) and got his limit last weekend, but isn't a member and wouldn't like his photo's posted (sorry). I'll be out again this weekend again and hopefully I'll be able to connect and post up some pictures. Seems like they haven't been hanging around much this month as I've only seen 1, but hopefully things start to change with the weather warming up a bit now.

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 02:20 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.what region ?

I took out a nice big female just before the new year (See the 2011 big game contest thread for photo and details). I missed 2 on Christmas eve as well. MY hunting partner limited out on wolves (3) and got his limit last weekend, but isn't a member and wouldn't like his photo's posted (sorry). I'll be out again this weekend again and hopefully I'll be able to connect and post up some pictures. Seems like they haven't been hanging around much this month as I've only seen 1, but hopefully things start to change with the weather warming up a bit now.

coach
01-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Well for the last few months here there has been a ton of issues with bc having to many wolfs and the ungulate populations have suffered because of them.
Its prime time to start seeing some dead ones comming in.Is no one out hunting them? Are they that tough to get?Is everyone expecting the trappers to eliminate them?.
I know that if region 8 was open to wolfs,i'd be out there doing everything in my power as a resident hunter to eliminate every wolf i saw no matter what.
With all the sucky negitive threads i've seen lately around here,it has me wondering why everyone isn't out killing those good for nothing dawgs.
I know ya all aren't warm weather pu$$ies ,so if you can,go kill them critters and bring back pics and stories.we need em dead and we need hunting threads that are better then whats been on lately.
oh ya
goodluck
bhb

Bruce, we've got wolves along the 8-11 / 3-12 border. They're open in 3. How about we organize a couple groups and get out after them?

sherpa-Al
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd love to get out Bruce but we're literally snowed in here in Terrace! Hope fully it'll melt enough so we can hunt spring bear.

Al

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Bruce, we've got wolves along the 8-11 / 3-12 border. They're open in 3. How about we organize a couple groups and get out after them?

count me in coach.anyone else wanna go?

coach
01-25-2012, 04:44 PM
count me in coach.anyone else wanna go?

I've got two more peope from this site that want to go. I'll send you a PM and we can set up a day.

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
perfect,i even have some old mouldy deer bones and scraps kickin around.anyone got some raven/crow type callers.

scoutlt1
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
I might me in on that if the dates work out...
I was thinking of checking out the are in 3-12 north/ northeast of the Paradise lake area....maybe just for sh**s and giggles and a couple of days in the snow. But cats and 'yotes are open too, so maybe able to at least get at a look at something....get my sorry butt off the couch too...

adamgarbett
01-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Im in! Just send me a PM in advance and i will be there!!!!

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
had a bit of a brainstorm if ya wanna call it that.
Why couldn't various groups throughout the province form wolf hunting possie's.give your groups cool possie"names" and bring back hits,miss's, sightings etc etc,so anyone else wanting to go out they have some sort of ideas as to where and go waste these prolific hunters
ya know every dead dawg, is more ungulates saved for our freezers.
bhb

Fishhound
01-25-2012, 06:32 PM
6616, good work all we need now is a 1000 more confirmed kills and we will be getting some where.

I wish I could go hunting for them, but I fear that like has been said many times we need the trappers and a bounty to really do some significant damage to the wolf population,

bowhunterbruce
01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
if its legal to sell your bear hide,capes and antlers and horns to a taxidermist then you could certainly sell your wolf hides to them as well.
All you have to do is learn how to skin them for taxidermy.front legs cut from pad to elbow only,then from 1 rear leg pad up around the a-hole and back down to the other pad, keeping all the toes attached on all 4 feet.then all the way up the underside of the tail.
Skin the hide down to the neck and remove the head.
if you don't feel comfortable doing the face/lips and ears ,then leave it for the taxi to do.you probably will get less but ya just might be able to at least cover your gas.
Just throwing it out there
bhb

6616, good work all we need now is a 1000 more confirmed kills and we will be getting some where.

I wish I could go hunting for them, but I fear that like has been said many times we need the trappers and a bounty to really do some significant damage to the wolf population,

Ltbullken
01-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Talk to most hunters and I'd bet the number of live wolves they've seen can be counted on one hand. The picture below is a situation I'd love to come upon with a few friends when all of us have banana clips :)

http://allcreatures.tumblr.com/post/11652770291/a-massive-pack-of-25-timberwolves-hunting-bison

That pack needs some serious thinnin' out!

Ltbullken
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
What's the best technique for hunting wolves? Wolf howling, pred calling...,?

Ltbullken
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
And I think we as hunters who believe the predator population should be managed should be telling each other where the wolves are (exactly as in drainage, road marker, etc.) . So, let's hear it!

91Jason91
01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
post up the pics ppl

mooseslayer
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Well if you all are looking for a place to start exterminating... 3 days ago we got pictures off our game cam of 3 wolves, closest landmark is the bald range/bear creek area in 8-11. Good luck!

Moose Guide
01-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Lardeau Valley, (Deception Creek, Grey Horse Ridge area) 4-30

scoutlt1
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Well if you all are looking for a place to start exterminating... 3 days ago we got pictures off our game cam of 3 wolves, closest landmark is the bald range/bear creek area in 8-11. Good luck!

sadly, no wolf season in region 8 :(

Moose63
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
What's the best technique for hunting wolves? Wolf howling, pred calling...,?

Isn't baiting and snaring the best method?

houndogger
01-25-2012, 11:12 PM
Isn't baiting and snaring the best method?
Can work but you can't snare right at the bait station. Once the rest of the pack sees one of their own snared you have educated the rest for life!

Good Old Outdoors
01-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Im going to head out to region 3 in a couple months and see if i can help decrease their population some, any hot spots for them in the monty hills?

hunter1947
01-26-2012, 02:30 AM
First of all my thoughts are you need something that will help you get back into these places wolfs don't like being around local areas they avoid the open areas as much as they can.
This year I am looking for a snowmobile to get me back into where wolves are ,wolves like it when the snow is deep this way they can catch there prey easer running on top of frozen snow..
Wolves are hard to find at the best of times but with a snowmobile and cruising the back roads will help you find there tracks and when you do find these fresh tracks you can set up a bait station then in a few days come back see if any activity then if so then do your calling.

The way I will find wolf tracks is cruse the back roads with the snowmobile then when I find the fresh tracks I am looking for I will go back to my home get my sled and put my animal parts in my truck and head back as far in as I can get with my 4x4 truck..

I then will unload all and then head back in with all and then find a good set up point where I saw all this tracks and unload some animal parts ,I will be filling up my big freezer this summer with dead road kills I am allowed to do this because trappers are allowed to pick up road kill animals and yes I am a registerd trapper

Would be a good thing to set up a few bait stations over areas where you find fresh wolf track this way if nothing has came to one of the three bait stations then move on to the other two and see if any activity if any activity at any of the three stations then set up down a good vantage point opposite side of where there run way is but make sure that the wind is in your favor anyways this is what I will do latter this year and on into 2013.

hunter1947
01-26-2012, 02:51 AM
In where I called them pack of wolves in last Aug I am only 20 metors to hi in order to shoot them this year in July and Aug I will go down the road 2k then I will be at the 1090 metor mark this is where I will be doing my calling and if I am lucky enough to bring them in then BOOM they will get my bullets ,hope you see this post Trapper Lady :mrgreen:..

Here is a clip I found on You Tube of a wolf that has a snare around his neck..

http://www.youtube.com/user/rockstargenius24

Skull Hunter
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
All of my wolf hunting has been in Region 6, so it's fairly remote to begin with, but I think these tactics can apply to anywhere...

Over the past 2 seasons my hunting partner and I have shot 5 wolves and seen many many more. In 2011 I saw 29 wolves and my hunting partner saw over 70 (He's on the road a lot). This year (2012) we've only seen 2, and one has died. Now seeing them and shooting them are a completely different story. Often times these sightings are a long ways off, or after legal light has passed, so that's the reason for the low success.

Anyways, I think your best bet is to find a lookout over a large frozen lake and check it regularly. Hopefully the wolves have been using it to travel or hunt on. 3 out of the 5 we've taken have been found on the lakes and called in either by howling or predator calling. Having a peek just after a light snowfall can reveal fresh tracks and give you a bit of an advantage. I should also not we've missed a few wolves that we've found on the lakes by ms-judging distance or our guns being knocked out of alignment.

Also, it seems wolves are on the lakes more often when it's cold, as they have a greater need for nourishment and are hunting more. During the mating season in the spring they also seem to be on the lakes more often chasing the females around.

Wolves HATE domestic dogs. If you see a wolf out on the lake and can somehow manage to get down to the shore line you could be in for a real treat if you have a dog with you. If you can, get your dog to bark a bit and run out onto the ice a little to get the wolfs attention. I can almost guarantee he'll start coming in. Just make sure you've got your dog on a long lead so he doesn't go off chasing the wolf or he might be in for a world of hurt.

As for calling, I've found howling to be a little more effective than predator calling, however, it seems a lone wolf, or even just a group of 2-3 is really reluctant to come into a howl. I think they're afraid of getting the snot kicked out of them by a larger pack.

Predator calling can be effective, but I've only tried rabbit in distress calls. Given that a rabbit is such a small meal, you're very unlikely to call in a pack like this. Also, despite the promise of a free meal wolves are pretty hesitant to come right in. We've had them come in to about 300 yards with a predator call and then just stop and wait, checking to make sure everything is legit. We've tried to wait them out until they came in closer, but those buggers are patient and have sat there for 2+ hours. I imagine a fawn distress call might be effective as well, but I've never tried this.

As far as baiting goes, if you can find a fresh kill and set up on it that will be your best bet to bag a wolf, however finding a kill before it's completely cleaned up can be tough.

A lot of people on here are recommending setting up a bait pile, which would be great but watch out for the legality of this. I know it's completely legal to hunt wolves over bait, however, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need a permit to transport bait, and only trappers are eligible to obtain such permits. Basically, what I'm saying is if you don't have a trappers license, you might not be able to set up a bait station on your own.

Finally, make sure you have a good glass over on open ridges, elevated areas and frozen rivers. The rivers allow for quick easy travel, while the ridges and elevation provide a lookout for the wolves to spot prey or approaching danger.

Good luck with them everyone, I'll be sure to post up pictures if I have any luck this weekend.

coach
01-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Great info, Zubris21! Thanks.

coach
01-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Is there anyone interested in heading out into 3-12 next week? Wednesday looks to be a possibility for me. Not sure how many others can go mid-week? I haven't been out that way for several months now - so I have no idea how accessible the area is right (snow levels / road conditions). Anyone have any recent info? My hunting partner and I have spotted wolves on a couple occasions over the last couple of years near the boundary of 8-11/3-12 - near the height of land off Sandberg Main. I think that getting a decent sized group of people together and covering ground, we could, at the very least, identify where these critters have been moving around. We would also likely be able to have some fun thinning out the 'yote population.

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2012, 10:49 AM
awsome details zubris and thanks alot.great info for those that need a little more insentives and experience.

scoutlt1
01-26-2012, 11:03 AM
yea that's great info zubris....thanks!

Coach I am going to try and get up there this weekend, but I don't have a sled, just snowshoes, so unless i can convince my dog to pulll me around I'll only be able to get out as far as my feet will take me.
If I do get up there, I will post back on what the conditions are like.

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
we are looking forward to hearing about what ya find out scout.dont forget a shovel just incase

Good Old Outdoors
01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
once the snow starts to clear, where should i go for wolves in reg 3? Ive seen some sign a few years back in the monty hills area, but i havent been back there since due to work.

DawgGone
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
We are being over run everywhere in BC with wolves. However, they are very wary. You will hear them more than you will see them. Baiting and determined staking out of the bait is probably the best way to get one. A tough go for the weekend hunter.
Relaxing of some of regulations on snowmobiles to hunt wolves might help. Years ago Fish & Wild life use to conduct an airbourne winter wolf hunt to keep the numbers down. Envirnomental protestors and a limited Ministry budget are some reasons why the winter wolf kill is a thing of the past.
I think a September to June an open season with a no bag limt ohjn wolves would help.
As things stand now hunters just have to be diligent and shoot them when ever we have the opportunity.............

bowhunterbruce
01-27-2012, 12:22 AM
well a few of us are heading out next week into region 3,anyone else getting together in any of the other regions for some dawg slayin

Darksith
01-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Its so hard to find wolves in the bush, they aint stupid. That being said you almost always have to bait them, and one of the best ways is on a big lake in the middle. If you can get them out in the wide open you have a chance. I know of 1 group of guys that bagged 11 in 1 day a few years back on a lake with snow mobiles, but it aint as easy as you think while your sitting on your chair at home.

scoutlt1
01-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Well unfortunately I'm not going scouting this weekend...Dad duty calls and I have to look after my sick 12 year old...oh well, gotta have the priorities I guess!
Looking forward to hearing reports of anyone heading out this weekend or next week in R3!

Moose63
01-27-2012, 06:38 PM
All of my wolf hunting has been in Region 6, so it's fairly remote to begin with, but I think these tactics can apply to anywhere...

Over the past 2 seasons my hunting partner and I have shot 5 wolves and seen many many more. In 2011 I saw 29 wolves and my hunting partner saw over 70 (He's on the road a lot). This year (2012) we've only seen 2, and one has died. Now seeing them and shooting them are a completely different story. Often times these sightings are a long ways off, or after legal light has passed, so that's the reason for the low success.

Anyways, I think your best bet is to find a lookout over a large frozen lake and check it regularly. Hopefully the wolves have been using it to travel or hunt on. 3 out of the 5 we've taken have been found on the lakes and called in either by howling or predator calling. Having a peek just after a light snowfall can reveal fresh tracks and give you a bit of an advantage. I should also not we've missed a few wolves that we've found on the lakes by ms-judging distance or our guns being knocked out of alignment.

Also, it seems wolves are on the lakes more often when it's cold, as they have a greater need for nourishment and are hunting more. During the mating season in the spring they also seem to be on the lakes more often chasing the females around.

Wolves HATE domestic dogs. If you see a wolf out on the lake and can somehow manage to get down to the shore line you could be in for a real treat if you have a dog with you. If you can, get your dog to bark a bit and run out onto the ice a little to get the wolfs attention. I can almost guarantee he'll start coming in. Just make sure you've got your dog on a long lead so he doesn't go off chasing the wolf or he might be in for a world of hurt.

As for calling, I've found howling to be a little more effective than predator calling, however, it seems a lone wolf, or even just a group of 2-3 is really reluctant to come into a howl. I think they're afraid of getting the snot kicked out of them by a larger pack.

Predator calling can be effective, but I've only tried rabbit in distress calls. Given that a rabbit is such a small meal, you're very unlikely to call in a pack like this. Also, despite the promise of a free meal wolves are pretty hesitant to come right in. We've had them come in to about 300 yards with a predator call and then just stop and wait, checking to make sure everything is legit. We've tried to wait them out until they came in closer, but those buggers are patient and have sat there for 2+ hours. I imagine a fawn distress call might be effective as well, but I've never tried this.

As far as baiting goes, if you can find a fresh kill and set up on it that will be your best bet to bag a wolf, however finding a kill before it's completely cleaned up can be tough.

A lot of people on here are recommending setting up a bait pile, which would be great but watch out for the legality of this. I know it's completely legal to hunt wolves over bait, however, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need a permit to transport bait, and only trappers are eligible to obtain such permits. Basically, what I'm saying is if you don't have a trappers license, you might not be able to set up a bait station on your own.

Finally, make sure you have a good glass over on open ridges, elevated areas and frozen rivers. The rivers allow for quick easy travel, while the ridges and elevation provide a lookout for the wolves to spot prey or approaching danger.

Good luck with them everyone, I'll be sure to post up pictures if I have any luck this weekend.

Good Post! I can add that a trapper friend of mine mentioned that if you hang some of your dog's s**t well above some bait it drives wolves nuts because they want to urinate on it, and they can't do it, so they tend to hang around the bait a little longer.

My 100th post.....wow...no hope of catching '47 at 19,000 and counting...

mooseslayer
01-28-2012, 10:48 AM
sadly, no wolf season in region 8 :(

There just oversized coyotes aren't they? If Bio's say they don't exist in region 8 that must be what they are......?

There won't be much point in people going up and hunting the 8-11/3-12 border either, 5 ft of snow means there is no deer and only the odd moose considering the majority of it lies over 5,000ft in elevation. I have never seen much there this time of year for game as it isn't winter range, where there is game there are wolves.... So the 3 wolves we have on camera at the bottum of bald range (13km up bear main FSR, west kelowna- down westside road) we have on camera more than likely moved down from the high country (8-11/3-12) to the winter range following their prey. I would imagine you would also find them at the back end of beak, douglas lake, whiteman (All 3-12).

Get off your computers and get em'!

bowhunterbruce
01-28-2012, 10:58 AM
5 feet of snow!!!!!.have you been up there lately,do tell me more would ya.

There just oversized coyotes aren't they? If Bio's say they don't exist in region 8 that must be what they are......?

There won't be much point in people going up and hunting the 8-11/3-12 border either, 5 ft of snow means there is no deer and only the odd moose considering the majority of it lies over 5,000ft in elevation. I have never seen much there this time of year for game as it isn't winter range, where there is game there are wolves.... So the 3 wolves we have on camera at the bottum of bald range (13km up bear main FSR, west kelowna- down westside road) we have on camera more than likely moved down from the high country (8-11/3-12) to the winter range following their prey. I would imagine you would also find them at the back end of beak, douglas lake, whiteman (All 3-12).

Get off your computers and get em'!

jtred
01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I was out this morning looking for wolves/coyotes in 4-06. I did hear wolves howling up Kid Creek fsr but I couldn't find them or entice them in. As soon as I parked and was gearing up the wolf/wolves stared howling and continued to howl sporadically for maybe ten minutes. It didn't sound like they were far off but that may have been deceiving as I didn't cut their tracks, mind you I don't cover ground very fast on snowshoes uphill and it certainly wasn't quiet fluffy snow. I think hunting them on foot is great exercise but perhaps not the most productive, I do stop and call but my little morning excursions are more about scouting and exercise than actual hunting. That said I do have my 25-06 with me and it's dialled in for the 90gr hollowpoints, so I am prepared just no encounters of the wolf kind as yet. I did see two moose, 6 mulies, and very fresh elk beds/feeding sign so the morning was definitely not a waste(it never is when I'm out in the bush it's more like recharge after a week of work). Any tips from you experienced wolf hunters would be much appreciated.

mooseslayer
01-28-2012, 12:24 PM
5 feet of snow!!!!!.have you been up there lately,do tell me more would ya.

Depends where you are, the lowest elevation on the border of 8-11/3-12 would be around stuart lake which is over 5000ft, I know some sections I was in recently were in about 3.5ft and I wasn't as high as stuart. In all I have not seen much for game ever that high this time of the year and I know wolves don't live off rabbits that stay up high. Most moose move out of that area, deer have been long gone for quite some time so the wloves would just follow..... Lower area in bear valley, back of beak, back of barton, etc winter range. They have quite the territories, who knows where they are now... all I know is there is 3 wolves on the bald range forsure!

coach
01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Any idea if it's possible to get to the Barton area this time of year? Is there logging going on out there?

coach
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
bump..........

doubled
01-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Tried to get into Jackpine today with quads - forget it. I could have gotten mine in but a couple guys from our group were pushing too much snow and we turned back. Well over two feet there and pi$$ed rain for much of the day. Will be a mess up there until it gets colder.

Skull Hunter
01-29-2012, 10:02 PM
I was out both Friday afternoon and today. Friday I hiked around a nice little area and found a caribou kill. Lots of wolf sign around but no dogs to be seen. If I can make it out there again before they clean it up I think I have a good chance.

Today it was snowing pretty hard and visibility was extremely low, so I didn't like my chances at the outset. I just took a little drive up the highway. Ended up cutting a BIG track running up the road that couldn't have been more than 20-30 minutes old, but no sign of any dogs near by.

Hopefully next weekend will bring some better weather and some sightings at least.

coach
01-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Tried to get into Jackpine today with quads - forget it. I could have gotten mine in but a couple guys from our group were pushing too much snow and we turned back. Well over two feet there and pi$$ed rain for much of the day. Will be a mess up there until it gets colder.

Thanks, Doubled! Sounds like that area may have to wait. I'm still planning to hunt predators somewhere on Wednesday.

bowhunterbruce
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
ya im still in as well coach
i wonder if there are any out 3-20 way up douglas lake ranch rd area

coach
01-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm game to try anywhere. I have two other members of this site partially confirmed. I'll pm you, Bruce and we can firm up a plan.

junkyard_g
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388880_10150945148180343_735150342_21722925_205213 5596_n.jpg
hudsons hope Nov 2011

Ruger4
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
perfect,i even have some old mouldy deer bones and scraps kickin around.anyone got some raven/crow type callers.

my primos speaker crow call works great , if the date works I'm in !

coach
01-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Nice work, Junkyard_g!

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
now thats a dead dawg waita go dude

coach
01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
my primos speaker crow call works great , if the date works I'm in !

We are heading somewhere on Wednesday. Howz that work, Ruger4? Right now there's two confirmed (Bowhunterbruce and I) and one tenative. Whether we find wolves or not, some 'yotes are gonna die.

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 06:54 PM
We are heading somewhere on Wednesday. Howz that work, Ruger4? Right now there's two confirmed (Bowhunterbruce and I) and one tenative. Whether we find wolves or not, some 'yotes are gonna die.

looks like hotload is gonna join us as well coach,robbie r ya in

scoutlt1
01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Like I said, couldn't get out this weekend because of my sick kid.....but I'm looking forward to seeing pics and reports from Wed!!!!

Singleshotneeded
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm in for wolf hunting, Coach, on weekends...I'm in West Kelowna...

gcreek
01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Doing my part, I have been selected as one of 4 ranchers to meet with Minister of Natural Resources on Feb 7. Maybe the helicopters will get to work.

GG, I promise to tell the truth as I see it.

4 wolves off the bait at 150 yards from my kitchen window so far this winter. 3 more moved in again last night.

bowhunterbruce
01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Doing my part, I have been selected as one of 4 ranchers to meet with Minister of Natural Resources on Feb 7. Maybe the helicopters will get to work.

4 wolves off the bait at 150 yards from my kitchen window so far this winter. 3 more moved in again last night.

thats totally awsome,i hope you get somewhere positive towards getting rid of more of the wolfs.
congrats on getting 4 so far and we'd all love to see pics.something about a pic of a dead dawg that incourages the rest of us to get out there

ThinAir
01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Bait is the best way to kill wolves. HORSES (dead ones:) ) are the best bait. I've seen them walk past all other baits to get to the horses. It's like candy to them.... I don't know why.

houndogger
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM

Awesome good luck!

GoatGuy
02-01-2012, 02:17 AM

Best of luck!

91Jason91
02-01-2012, 02:55 AM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388880_10150945148180343_735150342_21722925_205213 5596_n.jpg
hudsons hope Nov 2011

nice one lol

bowhunterbruce
02-02-2012, 06:34 AM
so if anyone has a decent place because they have seen recent sign or animals,why note hook up with a buddy or 2 ,split the expences and get out there and get dropping them.
hell if it isnt to far away from me ,i'm game enough to come play.just shot me a pm
bhb

huntinnewbie
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I saw lots of tracks up Larson Hill area last fall while hunting. I think it is 3-13 region. However they are as far back in as you can get and you will need snowmobiles to get there.
Take the Larson Hill exit offf the Coq. Head under the Coq and up the hill. When you come to the first fork after the Gas Line cut stay to the right and continue to climb. At the next fork stay to the left. You'll go through a level area and then sweep to the left and then to the right ( no turns just the way the road goes) through a big clear cut. Continue on this road until you see another big logging road on your right, it's a T intersection. Turn right here and take this road which will eventually end in a downhill to a large clear cut with a landing at the bottom. It was at the top of this hill, before going down, that we saw the most tracks. Criss crossing the road everywhere and definatley to big to be yote tracks. Also cut a large set of cat tracks in the same area.
Bear in mind that this was late October, easrly November and there was only a few inches of snow. Lots of deer sign up there at the time ( we didn't connect though) but the only moose I hahve eveer seen have been down low in the valley right by the Coq. So, not sure what they are feeding on but I guess it would be deer and other small game.

olharley guy
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM

Howdy, way to go-are they after the rib-eyes or filet mignons. Keep it up! Later

Husky7mm
02-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Here's one from a few years ago. I have not had anytime to go out this yr yet.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd483/husky7mm/wlf702.jpg

walks with deer
02-03-2012, 02:09 PM
seen wolves down low in the winter on barnharville road in kamloops head towards sutto lake and cambell lake there are deer wintering there and lots of predators.

Rodd
02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Buddies Wolf taken during spring Bear Hunt.
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/rodd5/wolf004.jpg