PDA

View Full Version : deer elevations

Big Lew
01-24-2012, 03:26 PM
For those hunting in the central and western Kooteneys during early September, not including around or on farmland, what elevations do you find the highest populations of mature whitetail? I normally hunt mule deer in the Interior-south Cariboo during the first week of bow season in September, and have found 6000 ft. and above the best if there are relatively high mountains in the area, otherwise around fresh logging at 4500 ft. and above. Would it be more productive to hunt further east?

Rodd
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Early in september I've seen whitetails way back into the watersheds, Elk country... and the occaisional one up near the alpine... but around here they start migrating down to lower elevations around october, and during the rut are generally found below 1200m... IMO East kootenays I'm talking...

rides bike to work
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I went on a elk trip in the west koots this past sept early season we pounded all the local mountains hard from dawn till dusk but it was extremely hot and dry the only place we saw deer were at the tops of mountains at dusk once we figured that out we were able to get a few chances like any hunting trip ,on the last day its all dialed in then you have to leave,awsom country though bring a bow for turkey saw lots

jtred
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
That is a great question and it got me thinking about where I see the most bucks. I find it really difficult to pin whitetails down elevation wise, I see them high near alpine and the valley floors in early season and I'll find them nearly as high in early November. To me it seems like they'll inhabit nearly the whole range, maybe not quite into alpine mulie country but awful close and right down to the valley floor. By far and away I see the most in the farmland/orchards around here but I enjoy hunting more in the hills(except for turkey) and high country. That said I'm no expert when it comes to hunting if I was I wouldn't seem to have so many tags left over from years gone by.

Islandeer
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Well for sure they don't hang out with the main population,so you will find them where the herd isn't. Big mature bucks that is. I am not convinced that the real big boys even ever come all the way down to breed, based on the lack of big buck sign we are now seeing. Of course this is in the whitey spots that we hunt,likely different in other areas. Buck habits are always changing,they always know what they are doing, us, well not so much.