PDA

View Full Version : How to ask for permission to hunt on private land?

DuckDuckGoose
01-23-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Im new to the hunting scene, and decided to get my feet wet with ducks as the family already had a shotgun... got my first ducks the other day and now Im hooked :mrgreen:! (Now Im eagerly awaiting the Goose openings!)

But my problem...

Where to hunt? Driving around abbotsford/chilliwack with all their puddled out fields, or along the fraser, or down in delta, etc. It seems like theres a multitude of areas to go, but many of them are on private land which leads me to my question:

How do you guys go about asking for permission to hunt on someones land?

Perhapes I'm over thinking this, and I just need to go knock on some doors, but I want to make sure I go about things in the accepted/expected manner, and would be grateful if you guys could fill me in on your methods!

My assumptions so far:
-Go in the off season in plain clothes
-offer something in return(you scratch my back...)
-Phone ahead?

Thanks.

Str8shooterbc
01-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I lived in Abbotsford in the late 70s early 80s. It wasn't quite as complicated then as it is now but everything on the flats, both Sumas and Matqui, was privately owned land. I gained access to a lot of hunting on both those prairies by doing a simple resume stating my name and address as well as a few things about myself including the clubs I belong to, the insurance policies that I had both through my house and the Rod and Gun Clubs and their membership in the BC Wildlife Federation. I also included a little bit about myself, the amount experience I had for an example. I had plenty of Duck and Goose shooting all fall and even would get hunting in the evenings after work.

Today, because I hunt with my wife, I find it much easier to gain access to hunt on private land or to cross private land to gain access to Crown Land than I would hunting by myself or with several guys. We use a "resume" with a picture of ourselves, our address and contact numbers, the insurance we carry though our membership with Rod & Gun Clubs and resultant membership in the BCWF that gives us Personal Liability coverage of $2,000,000.00 and the National Firearms Association (NFA) with a $5,000,000.00 in Liability Insurance for any claim. If we can go into an area that we don't know before hunting season and meet a bunch people, often through church or the Royal Canadian Legion, that helps a great deal. When we gain access to land to hunt or fish we make sure that afterward finished we send a thank you note. A nice bottle of whiskey at Christmas time certainly cements the following years hunt.

I would not hesitate to approach landowners in the Abbotsford area by driving up and talking with them. Because I was an electrical trade’s person I would offer to do some minor work if they needed it and perhaps help lift a few bales of hay at times.

I always had plenty of hunting and fishing anywhere I lived.

Ken Olychick

Gunner
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Knocking on doors and being polite and respectful to the landowner has opened up a lot of areas to me.As Ken says,pointing out that you are covered by liability insurance while hunting certainly can't hurt.I usually managed to steer the conversation to the fact that I grew up on a farm,was familiar with farming,and knew all the dos and don'ts.If you do get permission,cherish it,pick up your empties,don't leave a mess and don't drive your vehicles into a field without the farmer's permission.It only takes a couple of bad experiences for a landowner to say "That's it,no more hunters".Good luck! Gunner

91Jason91
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
hey man welcome to the site hopefully you enjoy it....
just go knock on the doors with a case of beer!!!! hahahha
no just go talk to the farm owners,
If you keep swinning (knocking) your gonna get a couple strikes (no's) but sonner or later your gonna hit a home run (permision) but your never gonna ge tthat home run if you dont go around asking..
Lol that quote works well for girls to hahahah
you should get into big game hunting also its alot of fun

Swamp mule
01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Coming from a private landowner's side where my parent's owned a large farm on the north side of the Fraser with two good puddles. The experience that I will tell you is 1) always and I mean Always, go to the farmer and introduce yourself so he knows who you are and your vehicle type.
2) be aware of the surroundsings and livestock and treat at is if it is your own property and take care. Always clean up after yourself.
3) the one thing that really pissed me off was when hunters would cross onto the land without asking and I could tell you, they lost the privilage and I did not forget,.
4) of the ones that asked, I helped them alot in trying to give them the edge over the ducks and how to apprach the ponds successfully.
5) take a keen interest and the time in chatting with the farmer to develop a good relationship with them.
6) Share your hunt with them as well, even if it is a deer,moose or elk roast or meat. that goes a long ways.
7) Even though when i worked on the neighbours farm and I know that i always got access to shoot, I always asked for permission, it is a form of "Resepct"
8) If you are single and young and if the farmer has a pretty daughter, try to court her. Its worker several times for me.
I am in a similar situation here in the peace but it is slowly working itself out as I am slowly getting out there and now my new position allows me to interact with the ranchers alot more. Pm if you want some areas to hunt in out near Deroche/Dewdney area. These areas do not require the special permit as this is not in the municipality area. Listen to Ken he knows some of the experience.
Swamp Mule

DuckDuckGoose
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Hmm, thanks guys, it really seems to be as simple as knocking on doors while keeping in mind all the points mentioned above (ie respect). I like the resume idea as well!
I think Ill be going for a drive this weekend :)

Any suggestions on property sizes/how far you should be from a road? Do you guys hunt within site of roads at times, or is that usually a no no? Again, fairly unsure of the etiquette... though most of it appears to be common sense.

Str8shooterbc
01-24-2012, 09:20 AM
One thing, if you do gain access to land and at times it will be your own private hunting reserve follow up with how thankful you are. Make sure you immediately send a thank you letter or card of thanks and at Christmas time send a card at least and a good bottle of 12 year old Canadian Whiskey or Scotch goes a long way to ensure your continual hunting privileges.

Good hunting near home is as precious as gold especially if you have it to yourself. A $30 dollar expenditure for a good bottle of whiskey is pretty damn cheap for great hunting. The personal touch goes a long way………

In places not so blessed, and all one has to do is look south with all the “hunting reserves” and land owners locking up access to National Forests, it is easy to so how lucky we are. However, saying that every year more and more access is lost. Protect what we have.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Ken

pnbrock
01-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Number one rule clean up after yourself goes along way. wads too they wi go the same distance just need to find one others in same area.

bowhunterbruce
01-24-2012, 10:26 AM
i have never had a problem approaching private land owners to ask for permission and the approach i have done was to never expect a yes but to offer my help.
mending fence.s
bailing hay or anything else that might need doing around the farm.
There are never enough hrs in a day for a farmer so whenever good free help comes along most apprieciate it and will usually respond in a positive way.
never go during the hunting season all dressed in camo.having your own insurance is a good bonus ,always look out for the owners best intrests,always make that phone call to let him know exactly when your are going to be there and always share the wealth of your harvests.
Dont just hand them a duck or a goose or even a leg,make sure its cleaned and cut ready for the freezer.the last thing any farmer needs is more work.if its a bigger animal like deer/elk/moose etc. wherever possible try to do your gutting and cleaning away from the property so as not to attract any other unwanted animals.
i believe that ,if you treat him and his property like his kingdom and his family are your biggest concern and not your hunting.your gonna have a new friend for life.
goodluck
bhb

warnniklz
01-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Some guy that goes by the name Mr. Pattison started out by knocking on doors. He had figured out that every 299 doors he knocked on he would get a "no". Then on the 300th he'd get a "yes". So every time he got a "no", it just meant one more closer to a yes.

I tend to apply this to my hunting ground search.

I also use the personal touch of hooking up the landowner with something they'd enjoy, like smoked fish or scotch

Islandbowhunter
01-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I like Ken's reply, very well stated.

I think it boils down to respect, humility, and gratitude.

I always offer some of my game, most farmers think it's amusing b/c they have so much available...but they sure do appreciate my asking!

Most amusing response: "Sure, you can hunt my fields...but you better shoot your limit of geese every time you're out!"