PDA

View Full Version : Coyote down!

lovemywinchester
01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
After a few tries at calling in some coyotes I managed to get one. It didn't go down the way I had planned but pretty fun just the same.

I was hiking into a spot where I had called a few out the other week with my power dogg. I took a shot at one but missed it that day but there was a lot of sign so I figured its a good area. It was snowing hard and blowing today so I didn't have high hopes as far as calling them in but it seemed warm after last week so off I went.

I was hiking into the area and as I was crossing a small pond I caught some movement at the far end in the reeds. I dropped down and saw a coyote pouncing for mice just on shore in the grass on a small ridge. I set up my shooting stick and the yote dropped down and I lost her. I tried to sneak forward to see over some reeds and she busted me. She moved uphill a bit and stopped to see what I was. I put the cross hairs on her at 150 yds and dropped her.

As I was walking over to her I was thinking there is probably another one around as well so I was taking my time and looking around. Sure enough as I was checking out my dog I turned around and there was a yote taking off behind me at good pace up a ridge on the other side of the pond. I got down and had the scope on it but it hit the top of the hill and was gone. No shot!

It was very exciting to be so close to some yotes after a few unsuccessful hunts and what a rush trying to get the cross hairs on one as its running for it's life. Barking and howling to try and get him to stop.
I made it to my set up spot and started up the mojo critter and power dogg but it was howling wind and snowing pretty good by that point so I shut her down for the day after 20 min.
Turns out she was a small female and from the amount of tracks there are plenty around. Had a chance at a double so looking forward to getting out again soon. A fun afternoon and nice to be outside in the snow and wind whackin' yotes! Get out there!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/coyote2.jpg

fowlweather
01-22-2012, 10:25 PM
thats a nice one for sure! put that as a neck around a parka

Mr. Dean
01-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Good going!

fearnodeer
01-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Nice looking coat, ya going to do something with the hide ?

lovemywinchester
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I am going to skin it today and attempt to flesh it and stretch it. The only problem is IT STINKS! Beauty coat but man! what a stench. Hope the lady next door doesn't mind me hanging and skinning dogs in the yard!

91Jason91
01-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Lol nice job man nice looking rug