PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Gear

BCHoyt
01-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Been checking out the rocky site this morning and was looking at getting the Rocky MtnStalker Parka for the upsoming fall season.. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this jacket or other Rocky jackets and what they think about them..

2x4x16
01-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Hunting buddy and I had some once, and only once - Junk. He also got a pair of boots given to him, didn't even last the week. It's Canadian Tire crap - don't waste your money.

BCHoyt
01-22-2012, 02:20 PM
What about under armour stuff? I know most are probably gonna suggest sitka gear..

fuzzy
01-22-2012, 02:43 PM
I personally dont like underarmour if i am going to be wearing it for more than a days use without washing. I find it gets funky, i much prefer merino wool. I find i can wear a wool basewear long sleeved pull-over shirt and icebreaker ginch for several days without washing without gettin stinky. Underarmour not so much! I have a few pcs of underarmour goods that will be getting phased out and replaced with wool.

fuzzy

Trailmaster
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I looked at under armor when I was at the bass pro in calgary, I found the material real thin, I don't think it would hold up long, I went with sent lock myself, its not waterproof but I have been happy with it.

dakoda62
01-22-2012, 04:17 PM
My boots didnt last a season before they blew out at the sole. Stitching on there gloves leaves little to be desired.

2x4x16
01-22-2012, 07:56 PM
What about under armour stuff? I know most are probably gonna suggest sitka gear..

Under Armour seems to be decent gear. My hunting buddy bought 1 piece then returned for more. Not really mountain gear, but okay for light walking. I'm a huge fan of Kuiu. The owner (of Kuiu) was one of the founders of Sitka. It's high performance gear for hunters awesome fabrics with amazing performance. Only available through online purchasing from their web site. I was a little nervous to purchase but has turned out be just great. Do a search here and you won't find too many complaints.

todbartell
01-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Why would you want a parka for hunting?

338 whisper
01-22-2012, 10:10 PM
love my underarmour and i have it all jacket,hoody, pants underware, socks, benie,mock shirt for cool and I just bought heat gear for those hot sept days I bought 50% at whole sale sports it year end clearnce.

troutseeker
01-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I've got a Rocky insulated jacket and bib pants. I use them when I'm on the quad and they are good, confortable, waterproof, windproof and warm. They are alos reversible to snow camo. I used them this late season and was comfy and warm, even when on stand in the snow and wind.

Yak
01-23-2012, 01:38 PM
I blew out a pair of rocky boots in 3 days. That was about 5 years ago, but have never bought anything "Rocky" since.

Underarmor I shirts I find to be quite good. I wear them for work underneath a stanfield and they hold up quite well. They key is not to put them into the dryer otherwise they wont last long at all. I cant really speak to what they smell like after a week though, but otherwise I have and will continue to purchase underarmor products.

Iron Glove
01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I picked up Rocky insulated jacket and bibs at Canadian Tire @ two seasons ago. Half price.
They have worn well, keep me warm and dry all at a very reasonable price.
Likely not the best out there but I look for value, I'm not a gear whore. :)
Son had Rocky hunting boots a few years back, wore them out in a year. Mind you, he wore them every day for work, hunting, fishing, ATV'ing, tree limbing .............. so I think they did pretty good all tings considering.

Piperdown
01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Why would you want a parka for hunting?

It gets mighty cold in the truck with the window down :)

Caveman
01-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I've got a Rocky insulated jacket and bib pants. I use them when I'm on the quad and they are good, confortable, waterproof, windproof and warm. They are alos reversible to snow camo. I used them this late season and was comfy and warm, even when on stand in the snow and wind.

I've got several jackets/pants and have had no issues with them. Water proof/ windproof, comfy quiet. I also have a pair of thinsulate boots that are very comfortable. Would call them 100% waterproff but they are close. I like them

Good Old Outdoors
01-25-2012, 12:03 AM
I have a set of rocky boots, and 2 thermal fleece (med and heavy) the fleece are great, the boots stretch out too much and cause uncomfortable pressure points, I have been looking at the jackets and pants online and would buy them when my gear i have now wears out

BackPackHunter
04-05-2012, 07:28 PM
IMO..... Rocky Gear = Junk
i will never buy any gear made by Rocky
fool me once; shame on you
fool me twice; shame on me...

BCHoyt
04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Ya I have gone away from Rocky gear since I started this post.. I have a Scentblocker jacket on the way and some Under Armour gear...

redneckmedic
04-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I have had a set of rocky hunting boots for the last 4 years they have held up well but from the beginning were not waterproof as advertised, under armor is a good product but does get a little gamy after a few days, or so my buddies tell me ;)

Good2bCanadian
04-11-2012, 06:52 AM
My rocky prohunter shell pants and jacket are not bad. They just don't breathe. On the atv they are good, hiking with pack no good.
For cold weather I have Columbia wool pants. Cheap and warm and breathable.
For boots, I have Danner pronghorns. Blew em out in a half a week. Sent em back and got new ones under warranty.

I have learned to buy the best I can afford. It will last vs buying cheap.

The Silent Stalker
04-15-2012, 12:25 AM
I would not waste my money on any Rocky Gear, it is crap and sold at crappy tire. I have not bought any clothing from Rocky because it feels like sh&t but I bought what I thought was a nice pair of boots because they were on sale and got wet feet in the first 20 minutes hunting in bad weather. Their jackets look no better than the stuff you buy at Wal Mart. It's all second rate stuff. I have a pair of Under Armour boots and love em, then got a few pieces of clothing and love them too. There is way better clothing out there, do some research and maybe get to a store to try more stuff on.

BCHoyt
04-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Well like posted above... Have some Scentblocker and Under Armour stuff on the way.. For now Ill just wear my Salomon hiking boots... They are super light.. very comfy and totally waterproof even after 3 years of wearing them. I already had waterproof camo pants that I bought on ebay years ago... Basically a no name brand and they have been great.. never gotten wet in them.. bit warm though on hikes..