PDA

View Full Version : Turkey... ??

Scance
01-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Ok.. am looking for any info on where to go to try a turkey hunt this year my friends and I are planing a trip.. any suggestions ? Advice/tips also accepted.. lol
Cheers

OutWest
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Lots of places around the Kootenays. Christina Lake is a gongshow unless you know where you're going. Learning how to call is key to your success. Some guys like packing the .22 and shooting them from long distances/the road but you'll get much more out of it if you learn to call. Bringing a gobbler in to close range and watching the show he puts on while he's all fanned out will rival any hunting experience you'll have.

Singleshotneeded
01-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Go east of Christina Lake, way too many hunters there! Get a .17 HMR and shoot 20 grain hunting bullets, that'll give you 150 yards range and eliminate the frustration of a gobbler coming in to about 75 yards and then stopping out of shotgun range. A .22 shooting a lighter, flatter, non hollow point bullet that expands slowly will work too, it'll just limit your range. I have a Lohman's Psycho turkey call, it's a round friction call that you rub a striker stick on to call them in, and the bonus is that it has a push button call built in to the side of it, in case it rains or for when the turkey is close and you just want to move no more than a finger to keep calling. I also have a Primos Power Crow call, which you blow hard in a new area, at pre-dawn, to get a response from a turkey and figure out where they are. Once you find where they're roosting in the tree tops, you set up in the trees on the far end of a clearing a hundred or more yards away and start calling at daybreak. If you can't find that Lohman's call then I think Cherry Creek makes a combo call as well, google a retailer...the push button is the easiest to learn, the friction not hard either. Get all camo'd up, including a mesh face mask, and call them in, it's quite the experience, as Nick mentioned. The rimfire rifle is an edge, as often the toms will stop outside of shotgun range even with the pros calling them, waiting to see the turkey that's making the noise. With the rifle you don't need to worry about it, and you'll get your turkey. Hope this helps.

Scance
01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Great advice guys... When do they "rut" so to speak ?

300H&H
01-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Go EAST young man !
Well I guess if you live in Port Alberni you have no choice but to go east for turkeys.
I have heard of some birds in the LML but not confirmed.
Your best chance is the Kootanys but thats what everyone else seems to think.
Take some time and read all the threads on HBC about turkey, they do have some good info.
There are lots of birds around Christina Lake but if you don't go well off the road you will see more hunters than birds.
The biggest thing I can tell you is get a how to video (Primos learn to call turkey) and practice. LOTS.
Don't over call....less is more.
If you hear a hen, try to make her exact call.
This will piss her off and if you bring in the hens the toms will follow.
Season starts April 15 and ends May 15 so you don't have much time.
Depending on the weather, I find the toms most active at the end of April and start of May BUT there are so many factors that will change the peak (rut) time.
If you can, use other hunters to your advantage.
Have a buddy behind you 10-20 yards (you should always be able to see each other) to do your calling.
The birds will look at him and not you.
When other hunters are in the area some times I don't call at all.
I let them do all the work !
Maybe a soft cluck now & then but not much.
Hunt not just the morning or evening, these birds are smart.
Look for their "roost" the plan your hunt.
Hopefully Othmar (Huntwriter) will give you some direction.
Good luck & have fun.

Singleshotneeded
01-23-2012, 12:52 AM
If the weather is nice, warmer than normal, then they're early. The opposite pushes them more into May.
One more thing, they have very good eyesight, so if you have a stainless barrel then wrap it with camo tape.

hunter1947
01-23-2012, 03:56 AM
If this can be any help to you I have seen some big male turkeys a few times beside the road when passing by the place called Kitchener just outside Creston heading east about 10k.

sky-gunner
01-23-2012, 04:21 AM
This is a good thread, I've been wanting to do a turkey hunt since I decided I wanted to start hunting a year or 2 ago. (only got my liscence last spring and due to work only had 1 Unsucessful day looking for deer). I will have time this spring, at least a couple weeks. Here's a question for you, what does wild turkey taste like? Is it same a a store bought? I assume it will be better but overall is it the same texture what not? And if your using a .17 hmr or .22 are you going for head shots or center of mass?

Singleshotneeded
01-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Wild turkey, provided it's not an OLD Tom on his last legs, is quite similar to domestic but tastier, in my opinion.
The flavour is really good. With the .17HMR, get the 20 grain XTP hunting bullets, and a similar slow expansion
hunting bullet for the .22, not explosive hollow points. Shoot high centre of mass and they're down, flapping.

Scance
01-23-2012, 10:35 AM
I really appreciate all the feedback so far.... I will try and learn/practice the calls, it is something I have had luck with in Moose and Deer hunting. What is there diet like in the spring.. Also has anyone hunted them around Grand forks ? I may have found a cabin there to rent.. # 4 seems to be the most popular shot ???
Looking forward to this challenge.. I love to walk lots of miles in the bush.. so sitting will be interesting.

Good Old Outdoors
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
This is a great thread! Until about 2 years ago i never even knew there were turkey in BC. I might have to swing down there and take a look. Just out of curiosity......what type of terrain do they usually roam?

Not trying to jack your thread from you scance, just new to hunting other species then deer and moose.

sdurango41
01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all of the info boys. We have also just started talking about going out for a turkey hunt in the spring. Waiting until September to go deer/moose hunting is just to long of a wait. I can already hear the "conversation" with my wife on WHY I need more hunting gear.LOL
It definately sounds like the Kootneys is the place to go and getting out of your truck and into the bush. (The only way to deer hunt as well!!) Keep the info coming for us rookie turkey hunters!!

Thanks

OutWest
01-23-2012, 12:11 PM
This is a great thread! Until about 2 years ago i never even knew there were turkey in BC. I might have to swing down there and take a look. Just out of curiosity......what type of terrain do they usually roam?

Not trying to jack your thread from you scance, just new to hunting other species then deer and moose.

One thing I will say is don't be intimidated by steep terrain. There turkeys in BC love it as anytime they are in danger they jump off and glide a long, long ways down into the valley bottoms. I found best success off of benches in steep terrain. The Toms love getting into those smaller, flatter openings to strut.

300H&H
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
This is a good thread, I've been wanting to do a turkey hunt since I decided I wanted to start hunting a year or 2 ago. (only got my liscence last spring and due to work only had 1 Unsucessful day looking for deer). I will have time this spring, at least a couple weeks. Here's a question for you, what does wild turkey taste like? Is it same a a store bought? I assume it will be better but overall is it the same texture what not? And if your using a .17 hmr or .22 are you going for head shots or center of mass?

Gunner, a wild turkey tastes very similar to a domestic bird, but trying to eat anything but the breasts is like chewing on leather. Some guys remove the meat and tenderize it so I will try that this year.

I really appreciate all the feedback so far.... I will try and learn/practice the calls, it is something I have had luck with in Moose and Deer hunting. What is there diet like in the spring.. Also has anyone hunted them around Grand forks ? I may have found a cabin there to rent.. # 4 seems to be the most popular shot ???
Looking forward to this challenge.. I love to walk lots of miles in the bush.. so sitting will be interesting.

Sit, sit, sit and when your tired of sitting....sit some more !
These birds have increadable eye sight.
Because they are near the ground they see you first so spot and stalk does not work well.

Similar to grouse I find the turkeys more abundant near a small stream.
With that said, you find them where they are.
They will be in their roost from sunset to when it is getting light out.
Find the roost and which direction they go after the fly down and you should be successful.
I find first thing after they fly down they feed on their way to a more open area where the toms will strut.
By 9-10 they are heading for the morning cover so you have another chance should you sleep in.
PS they love grapes !!!

jtred
01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
I started turkey hunting since moving to s.BC 5 years ago. It is an absolute blast especially if you get them coming into shotgun range. Calling them in is the way to go I think, although a couple of times I have wished I did have my 17hmr with me when I couldn't get them into range. I have found that my shotgun patterns best with #5 fed premium high velocity turkey shot. This load has a special flight control wad that gives a nice tight pattern with some extended range. I think it is pretty important to check out your pattern with a couple of different brands and use the one your gun likes. Get some of those turkey targets and count how many pellets hit the head/neck area to give you an idea what might happen to a turkey. A couple of different calls are a good idea in case the one you are using doesn't seem to be getting the turkeys in. Check out youtube and different hunting shows they have lots of tips. I found that they really helped, especially the ones were they give calling lessons. My favourite calls are the friction calls, I have two allweather slate style calls, 1 pushbutton that I mount on the barrel, and a box call for those loud and raspy calls. I'm no pro by any means but they sure are fun to play with, and they really do work. I've managed 4 turkeys in the five seasons I've hunted them, private land permission can really up your odds. I love hunting crown timber but there are simply more turkeys or at least more concentrated flocks of turkeys on or near farmland. They really like pastureland, hay crops, orchards, freshly turned or seeded cropland. I have also hunted them in swampy areas with lots of skunk cabbage(lots of fresh spring greens and grubs) and it's amazing how far up the mountains they actually will go, they follow the green up the mountain. They seem to really favour large fir/spruce trees for roosting on the side of steep hills where they can just glide down onto the feeding/strutting grounds. If you do find their roost they can also be intercepted in the evening directly above the roost as they will usually fly into the trees from upslope, simply put yourself in a position to ambush them coming up the hill on their way to roosting. One thing for sure if they see movement they will disappear, but if you are still and use camo they will come right up to you. I've had hens pass within a couple of feet and not give the alarm, but i've also been caught out in the open where they spotted me from 500 yards across a field and they were gone. As far as taste goes they are now in the top three of wildgame for my family, I found a recipe online for my first from the southern states and it is amazing. The younger tom or jakes do taste better than the mature long beards so given the choice I will take the smaller bird any day. We have both a spring and fall season but the fall hunt is more difficult since calling isn't as effective and I rely more on ambush or interception. Good luck on your hunt. And by the way you can still walk miles of bush and probably will until you locate that first tom.

The Dawg
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
For what its worth, EVERY TIME I want a turkey, I manage to find one with no issues.

Just look for this.

http://www.truffini.com/images/saveonfoods.jpg

huntwriter
01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Interesting thread. It's that time of year again and I see more hunters are showing an interest in hunting what is one of the most challenging game species.

Lots of good advice has been given here by fellow hunters and especially 300H&H. Unfortunately, I am not able to contribute much here as I am "condemned" to write with one hand. The other one, including the arm up to the shoulder, is paralyzed. The good news is it can be fixed, hopefully before my seminar tour and turkey hunting season starts.

Having said that.
I strongly advice all the newcomers to turkey hunting to listen what 300H&H has to say. I personally regard him as one of British Columbia's best turkey hunters. If my arm is well 300H&H and I hopefully manage this year to hunt together, its been in the cards for a two years now. :)

For those of you seeking detailed information about turkeys, tactics, calling, scouting and just about anything related to hunting North America's most popular game bird may be interested to read here (http://wildturkeyfever.blogspot.com/) too. (Use the article index to get to the information you seek.)

One more thing. Hunting turkeys with rifles is legal in BC but please consider this.

As each year more hunters take to turkey hunting it becomes more crowed out there. This in turn means if you see a turkey you have no way of determining that the turkey is not walking toward a hunter calling it, and therefore there is no way to tell with certainty that there is not another hunter in your line of fire.

A few years ago an acquaintance of mine had a bullet whistle past his head, hitting a tree a few yards beside him. Rifles are notoriously unsafe for turkey hunting and the reason why they are banned in many places. Please be careful out there.

Singleshotneeded
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Scance, they like hills and slopes near water. There's a flock just up the hill from Granby River Road East, near Frae Creek, but it's a paved road and there's houses and fenced private property on the right. If you want to SEE some turkeys drive up there, then continue up to
the firehall where the road curves to go over the bridge. Don't go over the bridge, turn right before it and then right on Volcanic Creek FSR.
I'd crow call there at dark or pre dawn and you should be able to locate a flock. The odds, however, improve the further east you go.
After all, they first came over the border in numbers at Creston, and they've been expanding from there, but the best numbers are still out there. Of course, you can't shoot the turkeys you see on the paved Granby River Road East, but at least you'll know they really do exist! :-)
A blaze orange ball cap on top of your mesh camo face mask is a great idea when turkey hunting.
And if you do use a shotgun, I'd use #5 in a 3" shell if it's not a turkey load, and if you get the 2 ounce load turkey shells I'd go #4.

cameron0518
01-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Rock Creek near the low lands and the fields. Lost horse area, saw them there every year.

Singleshotneeded
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
What time of year? I looked for them there one spring with no luck...went east.

cameron0518
01-24-2012, 10:14 AM
I only saw them in the fall but my father got one in the spring.

300H&H
01-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Lots of good advice has been given here by fellow hunters and especially 300H&H. Unfortunately, I am not able to contribute much here as I am "condemned" to write with one hand. The other one, including the arm up to the shoulder, is paralyzed. The good news is it can be fixed, hopefully before my seminar tour and turkey hunting season starts.

Having said that.
I strongly advice all the newcomers to turkey hunting to listen what 300H&H has to say. I personally regard him as one of British Columbia's best turkey hunters. If my arm is well 300H&H and I hopefully manage this year to hunt together, its been in the cards for a two years now. :)

For those of you seeking detailed information about turkeys, tactics, calling, scouting and just about anything related to hunting North America's most popular game bird may be interested to read here (http://wildturkeyfever.blogspot.com/) too. (Use the article index to get to the information you seek.)

Thanks for the kind words Othmar, I was wondering when you would join in on this thread.
With you pumping up my ego I sure hope I don't let you down this spring.
You and I have been trying for a hunt for a while now so we have to make it happen this spring for sure.
So get your arm healed up because there are just 81 days until opening morning. :-D

300H&H
01-25-2012, 12:32 AM
For anyone who would like to learn more about turkey hunting check out Huntwriters link in his post.
It will take you to "Wild Turkey Feaver".
Some great reading in there.

I wounder if Grouse River will have the turkey calling seminar this year ? Hint, hint, hint.
What do you say Othmar ?

Good Old Outdoors
01-25-2012, 12:36 AM
If they did have a calling seminar I would be there for sure! I am such a turkey newb!

300H&H
01-25-2012, 12:41 AM
If they did have a calling seminar I would be there for sure! I am such a turkey newb!

I have been to the seminars 2 years in a row.
Put on by Grouse River and Huntwriter is the speaker.
He does a great job and keeps us laughing.
Last year it was March 19 if I remember so I will talk with Glen at Grouse River ans see if he will host it again.
It is always a good turn out.

PS good Old Outdoors...have you seen the turkeys around Vernon lately ? They are there !

Good Old Outdoors
01-25-2012, 01:13 AM
I have been to the seminars 2 years in a row.
Put on by Grouse River and Huntwriter is the speaker.
He does a great job and keeps us laughing.
Last year it was March 19 if I remember so I will talk with Glen at Grouse River ans see if he will host it again.
It is always a good turn out.

PS good Old Outdoors...have you seen the turkeys around Vernon lately ? They are there !

I havent seen a wild turkey yet! I would love to know where!
We have people that resemble turkeys in vernon lol but as for genuine wild turkeys.......I wouldnt know where to look

Singleshotneeded
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Newbies, pick up Primos Mastering the Call dvd, it's great...they have them at Grouse River Outfitters...

300H&H
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
We have people that resemble turkeys in vernon lol but as for genuine wild turkeys.......I wouldnt know where to look

Believe it or not...2 years ago a tom was seen at the bottom of the hill near hwy 6 & hwy 97...IN FULL STRUT !!!
I will try to find some more info for your area and let you know.

Newbies, pick up Primos Mastering the Call dvd, it's great...they have them at Grouse River Outfitters...

Very good advise and a great place to shop. Glen has a great store & super service. The DVD is only about $14 plus tax and you get a mouth call..

300H&H
01-25-2012, 07:04 PM

PM sent, I hope it helps.

beni
01-25-2012, 07:17 PM
We have been spotting them over this way as well. Unfortunately no season :(

Grandparents seen one near the Hwy in Barriere, and I've seen them near the Barriere lake

huntwriter
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
We have been spotting them over this way as well. Unfortunately no season :(

Grandparents seen one near the Hwy in Barriere, and I've seen them near the Barriere lake

The turkeys are definitely heading west. Our CO told me that he has seen two wild turkeys about 40km outside of Merritt. They are not domestic of feral birds.

Fishhound
01-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Seen a whole flock(if that is the correct term) of wild turkeys just outside of Nakusp last summer, seen a couple more an hour or so later on the highway climbing the hill from the ferry at Faquier.

Heard they have been spotted in numbers in the Beaverdell area

beni
01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
The turkeys are definitely heading west. Our CO told me that he has seen two wild turkeys about 40km outside of Merritt. They are not domestic of feral birds.

Good news for the future!!! :D

Now if we could only get more elk this way.. and we would have all we need right here :)

OutWest
01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Seen a whole flock(if that is the correct term) of wild turkeys just outside of Nakusp last summer, seen a couple more an hour or so later on the highway climbing the hill from the ferry at Faquier.

You've heard right.

Singleshotneeded
01-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, I ain't ever satisfied, as Steve Earle would say...they're west of Princeton on the border, and they're moving up the valleys towards Merritt, they're moving up the Okanagan Valley, and up Hwy 33 towards Beaverdell, up the Christian Valley, and all along the border east to Alberta. Keep spreading you tasty big birds, and I hope you grow in numbers until you're hanging out behind every other tree. :-)

Good Old Outdoors
01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Im going to hit the hills early this year, try and spot some close to home. Mind you i should probably practise calling so i dont sound like the "special" turkey in the roost that the others wanna beat up! Wait, I might be on to something here!?

bcbrez
01-26-2012, 08:13 AM
How many of you turkey hunters are interested in doing the Turkey contest again this year? I was hoping to get more people into it this time, and I still have some prizes from those who never gave me their mailing addresses from last springs contest. I'll do it if there is enough interest.

Good Old Outdoors
01-26-2012, 08:19 AM
if i can figure out where to go Im in, just need to scout some area when i get home and sight in the 17HMR

CanuckShooter
01-26-2012, 08:45 AM

About five years ago I was walking a rock ridge above Big Sheep Creek Hill [west of Williams Lake across Fraser] and there was a wild turkey sunning itself there. Yup 5-14 wild turkey sighting.

Fishhound
01-26-2012, 08:49 AM
For anyone who would like to learn more about turkey hunting check out Huntwriters link in his post.
It will take you to "Wild Turkey Feaver".
Some great reading in there.

I wounder if Grouse River will have the turkey calling seminar this year ? Hint, hint, hint.
What do you say Othmar ?

I would be very interested in attending this seminar.

Is this the Grouse River in Kelowna?

SHAKER
01-26-2012, 09:23 AM
I'd be into the contest again!

300H&H
01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
How many of you turkey hunters are interested in doing the Turkey contest again this year? I was hoping to get more people into it this time, and I still have some prizes from those who never gave me their mailing addresses from last springs contest. I'll do it if there is enough interest.

I was hoping you would do the contest again.
I still hope you will take me out this year to make up for last year when I could not make it.
Would you post up some pictures of the flock of birds you hunted.

I would be very interested in attending this seminar.

Is this the Grouse River in Kelowna?

Yes it is in Kelowna on Hwy 97.

Fishhound
01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
What is this turkey contest all about

300H&H
01-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Just search "turkey contest" and you will see the contest from last year organized by BCrez.
You just enter, no cost, and are put on a "team" with other HBC members.
You may not even be in the same area as the other team members but your turkey, if you get one, goes towards the team score.
If your interested Im sure you will see a thread starting in late March or early April.
But practice your calling now and start scouting.

Dannybuoy
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Believe it or not...2 years ago a tom was seen at the bottom of the hill near hwy 6 & hwy 97...IN FULL STRUT !!!
I will try to find some more info for your area and let you know

Wouldnt these be those 7 or 8 turkeys that the guy on Kal lake road released a few years ago ... the last I heard one was killed by a car but havent heard anything about them lately ...

300H&H
01-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Wouldnt these be those 7 or 8 turkeys that the guy on Kal lake road released a few years ago ... the last I heard one was killed by a car but havent heard anything about them lately ...

It could be them but the birds have moved up the Christian Valley so the area around Lumby and Lavington would be great for them.