PDA

View Full Version : PGkris' Hybrid deer hunting -

BCrams
10-10-2006, 02:27 PM
PGKris quote: There are guys here who have seen them and I have it on really good authority that the areaI plan to hunt this september has a substantial number of them.

But for the most part, what I've heard about these hybrids, is that they will show significant characteristics of both species.

Curious to see how you're making out with this hybrid hunting of yours?????

September has come and gone.

You didn't think I would let this one slide under the table did you :lol:

rocksteady
10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I bumped into a hybrid on Saturday right in town but a huge *******...

Body of a mule deer, but the basic rack formation of a whitetail - Main beam with 2 uprising points, so looks like a 3 by 3 whitey, but he also had several "deformities" along both beams...You know the ones that aren't really points but look like they want to be someday....I counted 6 of these on the left and 4 on the right...

He was only 20 yards away, standing in a persons flower bed, but the amazing part of it was his bases were probably 8 inches in circumference...I really got to start packing my camera in the truck when i am running around town..

Jetboater
10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
got to have horns to tell if they are a hybrid right:lol:

Steeleco
10-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I don't want to stir the pot, and I hope the rest of these posts don't go south, BUT. I now see why there could be some confusion. Take a look at the deer 3Kills took a few weeks back.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/deer12.jpg

We know he shot a mulie but that rack looks all the world like a whitey??

dana
10-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Rocksteady,
Couldn't have been a 3X3 muley now could it? :) If he's heavy and a little knarly chances are he's an old regressed buck well past his prime.

Steelco,
Everyone knows that's a hybrid in Merrit. The CO will let you tag it any way you want. There is no possible way that muleys can ever be 3x3's. :)

GoatGuy
10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't want to stir the pot, and I hope the rest of these posts don't go south, BUT. I now see why there could be some confusion. Take a look at the deer 3Kills took a few weeks back.

We know he shot a mulie but that rack looks all the world like a whitey??

Where are all the pictures of the spike hybrids??????????? Surprised there haven't been more posted.

dana
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't call this a hybrid, just proof you are what you eat. ;)
http://usera.imagecave.com/boonerbuck/mule.jpg

greybark
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
8) Hey Steelco . The brow tines are typical mule deer and not white tail but your point is valid one.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Will
10-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't call this a hybrid, just proof you are what you eat. ;)
http://usera.imagecave.com/boonerbuck/mule.jpg
Or Proof that you've been Really Lonely on some of your "High Mountain Muley Trips".....:oops:

:lol:

3kills
10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Rocksteady,
Couldn't have been a 3X3 muley now could it? :) If he's heavy and a little knarly chances are he's an old regressed buck well past his prime.

Steelco,
Everyone knows that's a hybrid in Merrit. The CO will let you tag it any way you want. There is no possible way that muleys can ever be 3x3's. :)

dana quite a few years ago there was a co in town who let some one i know tag a buck as whatever he wanted cuz he was unsure himself what it was if u dont believe me thats fine i dont care...but u cant tell me that there is no possible way that two different species of deer cant inter breed...u tellin me that deer are the only animals in the world that dont interbreed with others of their species.....

ryanb
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
dana quite a few years ago there was a co in town who let some one i know tag a buck as whatever he wanted cuz he was unsure himself what it was if u dont believe me thats fine i dont care...but u cant tell me that there is no possible way that two different species of deer cant inter breed...u tellin me that deer are the only animals in the world that dont interbreed with others of their species.....

It's common knowledge muleys and whitetails interbreed to produce sterile male offspring. Muley's and blacktails interbreed to produce viable offspring, there's a ton of them running around here.

The big purebred mulies usually beat the crap out of the little blacktails during the rut. Last year I saw a decent mulie buck with about 10 blacktail does. Funny thing is, of all the half-breed bucks I've seen, never seen an obvious halfbreed doe. Don't know why that is.

dana
10-10-2006, 05:08 PM
3 kills,
As I recall you stated before that hybrids are very common in Merrit and if I don't believe you I should call the CO cause he thinks they are common as well. If you think that they are really common, then you obviously are not identifying your species correct.

Fisher-Dude
10-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Where are all the pictures of the spike hybrids??????????? Surprised there haven't been more posted.

I found one GG. Looks like a booner spiker too! :eek:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HybridSpike.jpg

3kills
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
dana i never said i have seen them i have talked to lots of people that have said they shot them or have seen them....and the one that the co said tag as what u want was shot by my uncle several years ago...the co if i m correct is now livin up in fort st john but not workin as a co....and i never once said my mulie from this year was a cross....alls i said was it looks like a whitey but i knew he was clearly a mulie....my uncles whitey rack from a few years ago is indentical to my mulie rack from this year only a lil smaller....

Steeleco
10-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Obviously this is a topic of much debate, lets keep it on topic and avoid the personal digs Please.

JMac
10-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I've got a black-tail deer from Vancouver Island that makes the Island book as a 3 point (on top) with brow tines. Some people I know thinks it has whitetail type antlers. However, the fact is the buck just never grew G3's (most forward point of the back forks). Same can happen with mule deer. A younger buck can have a 3 point frame that appears to look like 3kills deer. It's still growing up and is not a four point on top yet. Some large bucks have 3 point frames on top just like the ones in Rick Berreths book that net score over 175 typical. Doesn't mean these deer are hybrids. As for hybrids, I heard a rumour from a biologist that the only true way (other/rather than appearance) to tell a hybrid is in the length of metatarsal glands. Mule deer have long glands of 4/5 inches and whitetails have glands of around an inch. Crosses run around 2 inches. Sounds mumbly but hey what do I know!

Will
10-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I certainly don't think they are out there in the Numbers that some seem to Claim.
Possible ? sure I suppose but they'd be Rarer then a Region 3 Immature Bull :lol:
There Certainly wouldn't be one shot every other day during hunting season to post and Argue about which Species it isn't or wasn't :|

PGKris
10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Oh boy. Well I haven't made it there yet.I already filled a mulie tag as you know. Not likely to get there unless something comes up.
You need to chill out man. People's opinions are just that, opinions. Just cause you've never seen a hybrid deer does not meann they don't exist. I know guys who have spent their entire lives in the bush and never seen a cougar......do they exist? Give it a rest already. If and when I kill one, you'll be the first to know. So I can smear your name all over the pages of this site. Enjoy your hunting season 8)

BCrams
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
PGKris quote: I have it on really good authority that the areaI plan to hunt this september has a substantial number of them.

Thought this would have been a slam dunk hunt for hybrids as you were quite the defender that they were abundant....or substantial numbers of them. I was sure you were going to go out and prove everyone wrong.

PGKris quote: I can draw you a map to a field out behind McBride where I've been told on any given night you can watch a herd of mulies, a herd of whitetails and a herd of hybrids all at the same time in different parts of the field. This year I'm going to confirm that story, whether it be false or true. Hybrids are not all that rare.

Since you can't be bothered ........why don't you draw me that map and I'll put an end to all this nonsense........on your behalf.

Iron-Head
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Hmm are they tasty?

rocksteady
10-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I do standby my decision to call him a hyrbid..After hunting and watching mulies for the past 40 years...He was not a downhill sliding mature buck..He almost looked like he still on the climb to the top...

Radar
10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
I saw a hybrid the other day, I think it was called Prius, didn't have tag so let it go :lol:

Jetboater
10-10-2006, 07:53 PM
PGKris quote: I can draw you a map to a field out behind McBride where I've been told on any given night you can watch a herd of mulies, a herd of whitetails and a herd of hybrids all at the same time in different parts of the field. This year I'm going to confirm that story, whether it be false or true. Hybrids are not all that rare.

Since you can't be bothered ........why don't you draw me that map and I'll put an end to all this nonsense........on your behalf.[/quote]

can I come with my 25-06????

BCrams
10-11-2006, 05:34 AM
You'd think it would be a slam dunk with good (or questionable) information like that.

CNE
10-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey chris, I think this is where your hybrids came from.http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/showthread.php?t=9506

Schmaus
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
That is way too funny.

PGKris
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
:-? Whatever.

CNE
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
:???: Whatever.
hahaha, I though you'd like that one.

Iron-Head
10-11-2006, 08:44 PM
HAHA.thats a great pic

dana
10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
PGKris,
For a guy that prides himself as the HuntingBC Debate Team you sure don't know how to debate very well do ya?

Iron-Head
10-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Running the show"?" Oh please do explain...

Kirby
10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
There are guys here who have been working in the field, hunting, and studying this stuff longer than you've been alive. Sit back, learn and one day you'll be looking back and saying the same thing they are saying to you to some young kid.

Kirby

huntwriter
10-12-2006, 05:24 AM
Really, I give up. What's the point in trying? You f*ckers will not even consider giving a 19 year old any real credibility so I just give up. Stab away boys, tell me how wrong I am, or how ignorant, or how inexperienced. Just remember, I'm going to be the guy running the show one day.
Countdown until that gets edited....

I know that children and youth are told at schools that they have more rights than their parents and that they are entitled to all sorts of things including respect. But believe me, it’s a huge lie.

Fact of the real world is, NOBDY is entitled to anything other than the undying love of their parents. All else has to be worked for and earned, including respect.

I hope sincerely that one day you will be the best you can be. Success starts with listening and observing.Best of luck in everything you do.

rocksteady
10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
This thread has gone way over the top..I believe it may have been started as a joke, but some are not seeing the humour....

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, thats what the hunting world is made up of.....Just read any hunting magazine and see how opinionated any hunt writer "expert" is...

Slayer666
10-12-2006, 07:55 AM
So if someone has to earn respect, do you go around and disrespect everyone until they have earned it? Lighten up. Give the guy some credit. Obviously he has a passion for the support and probably gets out in the bush just as much if not more than some of you.

abbyfireguy
10-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Funny how some people equate 25 years of hunting experience with expertise...
I've met lots of old experienced hunters who scare me enough that I stay well clear of them in the bush..
The big word is common sense....
Respect on certain issues is earned, but common courtesy should also be involved....
Its so easy to have keyboard courage and say whatever you want to someone who differs in your opinion when on the web....
Too many people are just plain rude...Sad really...

Ride
10-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I am not quite sure why people have decided that they need to pick on someone here. Especially a younger hunter. Why any of us here should do something like this is beyond me. This thread, or the thread that began this one, could have been an insightful discussion on species interaction and how it can affect our hunting opportunity. Instead it has turned into a sad sad I know better than you do thread.

For PGKris, i 100% agree with you that there are hybrid deer out there and the more we see whitetail and mule deer ranges overlapping the more incidences it will occur. Hell, if we can hybridize plants in a lab, animals can do it in the wild. Especially closely genetically related animals.

For everyone who has jumped all over this and turned it into a you know nothing that i know and i know better moment, it is too bad that even though you disagree with this, why won't you give us some info on why you disagree. I am ready to listen and i promise i won't jump all over you for your opinion.

MB_Boy
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Ride.......I am staying clear of this one, but if you just do a search for 'hybrids' you may find the earlier conversations that led to this one. It is often debated and there has been great evidence presented and scientifially backed (I seem to recall from a few threads). I just plain and simple don't know so I just sit back and read it. Yes there is some tongue and cheek attitude thrown from both sides and their has been certain character traits that have also dominated these conversations.

Believe me my lack of telling the difference on those questionable deer was thrown all to hell when I looked at the deer that 3kills knocked down.....it sure looked whitey to me but who am I to say. No offense meant Darcy...:wink:

Steeleco
10-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Believe me my lack of telling the difference on those questionable deer was thrown all to hell when I looked at the deer that 3kills knocked down.....it sure looked whitey to me but who am I to say. No offense meant Darcy...

This is why I once asked what the ctiteria is for deciding what type of deer we're looking at, the tail or the rack. I saw a deer like Darcy's 2 days after any buck, but didn't know what to make of it. So I let it go. Which in hindsite was a good thing because it had a mulie tail.

I know what I've seen but am not sure how to explain it.

As to the "Debate" keep it civil folks!!! We should have a big round table with plenty of pops on it, and I'm sure the mood would be better.

Steelheadfreak
10-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Well Id just like to chime in and say this is a pretty good thread. Im new to hunting after a long hiatus so maybe I need to earn some respect before Im listened too............lol. Whatever. I have no oppinion on hybrids but I do have an oppinion on where this thread is going. PGKris, needs to listen to others and take there comments as just that. The others have to take PGKrises comments as just that. All you guys out there were once his age and had the same "piss and viniger", "I can rule the world" attitude......no offence PGKris............ We all mellow with age and although I think some of the young guys comments are just shite, I wont disrespect him for it. Ive been playing lacrosse and coaching for 30 years and I have 16/17/18 year olds every year that think they are better and wiser than me about the game. By 25, they have mellowed and tell me I was right and they were wrong. I did however listen to there gripes at the time. To add, they did show me a new trick or two. Just because yall have vast expirience, it dosnt mean you cant learn something from a young guy with clear and new eyes to look with. If ya get what I mean........Then again, he just might be full of it................lol.

GoatGuy
10-12-2006, 07:39 PM
It's called eating crow.

Never liked it! Even marinated it's awful stuff.

I'm sure I've been wrong before I just can't remember when.

Getting back on topic I think it's time to let this one fade out.

Productivity's falling.

Nothing's really getting accomplished.

Too much like a parliamentary debate!

Ozone
10-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Uh Dana, I think your a little to late with that last post.

Kirby
10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
And actually, Kirby, you'd be a complete moron to keep treating people my age the way you are me. Most people my age are new hunters and if you talked to someone new to the sport the way you talk to me, simply because of their age, they would quit hunting. You're part of the reason it's hard to recruit new people. Goddam mouthy knowitall old farts who couldnt give a damn about teaching someone anything.

uh I'm 25 but thanks for calling me an old fart:) , not often I get that:lol: As to treating new hunters like shit, ya thats right, thats the reason why I help new hunters get out, why I take out newbies for bear and deer every year:| . Its not about your age its about your attitude, if you were 50 I'd say the same thing to you.

If you really feel the burning urge to leave, hey by all means I won't try to stop you, its your choice but if you stick around by all means your a good contributor to the forum. Like dana said its all about a bit of ribbing, it goes around and around.

As to eating crow, I like it burnt to a crisp, with a beer on the side, doens't taste good still but its easier to swallow.:lol:

Kirby

ruger#1
10-12-2006, 08:43 PM
wow you guys are funny, I'm going to sell my TV, this is better entertainment.

Marc
10-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Well I just got a PM from PGKris wanting me to delete his profile, this is the first time I've read this post as I cant be on here 24 hours a day and read every single post. I'd appreciate it if the next time something like this happens that someone send me a pm or one to the moderators before it gets blown out of proportion. PGKris is gone and I'm locking this thread up.

Marc/Admin