PDA

View Full Version : caping a deer for the first time

wildthing
01-21-2012, 10:50 AM
there is a lot of video on this and different ways of doing it so can i go to a taxi to let him show me the way he would like it done the first time or do i have to do it on my own

keoke
01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Just don't do what I did and look up how to do it after you did it. When I talked to the taxidermist he told me to cut around the torso below the breast plate and around the elbows. Then cut the head off and let him finish it off, worth the $50 IMO. Lets just say I ended up with a euro mount.

dakoda62
01-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Probably best to talk to your taxidermist. When I had my bear done I didnt talk to mine first, and as a result I had made a few avoidable mistakes. Cost me an $100 to sew.

wildthing
01-21-2012, 11:25 AM
thanks guys for sure i will contact a taxidermist first

TheProvider
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
If you had someone to show you its best. Like they said a taxi can do it at a reasonable price. Next time you shoot and animal even if you not going to save the hide, practise caping it... even if its a doe, small bear or lil fork buck. Learn how so when you get that trophy that you wanted you wont make a mistake, leave plenty of hide on for a shoulder mount. When in doubt leave it for the taxidermist, specially paws.

warnniklz
01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
http://www.trevorwillistaxidermy.com/howtocape.html

swamper
01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
I skin them up to the base of the skull and let the taxi do the rest. Like someone else said, worth the extra few bucks.

bowhunterbruce
01-27-2012, 04:03 PM
when i was young i would stop in at a taxidermist shop that was on my home from work,because my wife was always a couple hrs behind me getting home from her job ,i would stop in and kill a couple hrs a few days a week helping him out.little by little i got to know a ton of stuff.it helped so much that when i was in need of getting a grizzly done.he had put into consideration all of my help and ended up getting it done just for cost.
since then i always went in on my spare time and helped out for free,it always came around big time when getting anything done,they always like a good knowledgable carful person helping ,especially if its just to learn for yourself for free.
give it a shot,you will be very surprised
give and you will recieve ,if nothing else knowledge is a very good thing for just the price of time.
bhb

scottwh
01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
When I wanted to learn, my taxidermist told me to just bring a head in and he would show me hands on how to do it properly. Even if its a friends 2 point, spike, whatever. Just to learn on. Leaving it to the taxidermist is fine and all.... But you wont be doing that on a sheep or remote hunt where you gotta get that hide off