PDA

View Full Version : Wader advise

skyhawk
01-21-2012, 07:56 AM
My partner and I went duck hunting in the marsh yesterday, last day of the duck hunting season. After few hours standing in the water, both of our feet were almost frozen. We were both wearing, goretex socks, wool socks and thermo liners, inside pvc waders. Would neoprene waders be warmer? Thank you in advance for any advise and suggestion.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 08:16 AM
All my partners and I use neoprene upers with rubber boots, they range from "cheap" Can. Tire brand to some very expensive name brands. We all had cold feet after a few hrs standing in water. One guy noticed they had steel shanks which of course hold and transfer the cold. We tried those old school felt insoles and they made a big differance, not like sitting with your feet up in front of a roaring fore mind u but then again we are waterfowlers and by deffenition slightly massochistic.

Big Lew
01-21-2012, 08:51 AM
I used to use the old-style non-insulated waders and chest waders with the same problems as you. I switched to the neoprene chest waders a size larger then my normal foot size, put in felt liners and wearing quality wool socks designed for the arctic. Now, no problem, even when with a leak, as the socks seem to keep the foot warm enough.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I was just saying that yesterday standing in the ice water. Wish I would have goten 1 size larger and I would have used the liners as well but the insoles help for now next pair tho will have room for liners.

digger dogger
01-21-2012, 09:02 AM
What brand will be your next pair, FoxGD?
I'm looking into getting waders.

blindman
01-21-2012, 10:20 AM
I just saw an ad for insoles that have rechargeable batteries embedded in them and have a remote controller to set the temperature. I plan to do some research on these and I figure they might be a bit on the expensive side.

weatherby_man
01-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Pay attention to what insulation the boots have on waders. I would recommend at least 600 and if possible 1200 grams of thinsulate, even with a steel shank 1200 should be nice and warm. Frogg Toggs make a couple of excellent duck hunting waders.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/#wading/neoprene/

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
What brand will be your next pair, FoxGD?
I'm looking into getting waders.

You know I would have to go check the actual brand but these are the Can. Tire $139 ones they have lasted me 5 seasons now and T put them thru a lot of $hit and abuse I will probably go with the same ones, may just pick up another pair for cold weather anyway dispite my old ones still working fine.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 10:30 AM
I just saw an ad for insoles that have rechargeable batteries embedded in them and have a remote controller to set the temperature. I plan to do some research on these and I figure they might be a bit on the expensive side.

Keep us informed plez

Tanya
01-21-2012, 10:30 AM
YES! Neoprenes are the way to go. They are available in many places. Cabela's (US) for instance sells them in 5mm thickness and 3mm. We have the 3mm ones and hunting this week in much minus temps and sitting for long periods we did not get cold. One thing....I replaced mine last year as I had purchased women's ones and my feet were always getting cold as the boots were too narrow. I bought the men's and they are awesome! So, if you have wide feet go up a size in the boots. The ones we have are available in stout, regular and tall.

A pair of fleece wader pants beneath the neoprenes will keep you warm and cosy for many a hunt.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 10:53 AM
YES! Neoprenes are the way to go. They are available in many places. Cabela's (US) for instance sells them in 5mm thickness and 3mm. We have the 3mm ones and hunting this week in much minus temps and sitting for long periods we did not get cold. One thing....I replaced mine last year as I had purchased women's ones and my feet were always getting cold as the boots were too narrow. I bought the men's and they are awesome! So, if you have wide feet go up a size in the boots. The ones we have are available in stout, regular and tall.

A pair of fleece wader pants beneath the neoprenes will keep you warm and cosy for many a hunt.

Let me apologize first, sorry its your quote I'm replying to T more info than you want lol. But I just wear my light long johns wit stanfield wool bottoms over them nice and tight warm and dont bunch up.

Tanya
01-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Hey no worries. I just like the fleece cause it is cozy and the wader pants have stirrups that stop them from riding up. If'n you got a system that works for you stick with it and save spending extra coin on clothes and use it on ammo :D

Big Lew
01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
The most common mistake, or oversight people make is buying waders/chestwaders the same size as their normal boots.....best to get them a bit over-sized so there's room for thick socks, long johns, felt soles etc. and most importantly, room for the insulating to work. You don't want your foot squeezed tight against the boot. Same goes for the upper parts of your legs and body....better to go for comfort rather than trying to look fashionably slim. A secondary bonus to buying one size up for those that use them in deep water is the larger size will allow you wade in deeper water. Nothing will spoil your outings like the shock of cold water pouring in over the back of your chestwaders.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey no worries. I just like the fleece cause it is cozy and the wader pants have stirrups that stop them from riding up. If'n you got a system that works for you stick with it and save spending extra coin on clothes and use it on ammo :D

Oh and there are days I really need it on the ammo lol

Chessieguy
01-21-2012, 11:58 AM
A have a pair of the Cabelas ultimates, and have would buy another pair in a minute. They have the armour flex outer which makes them that much more durable.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-hunting-waders-cabelas-ultimate-hunting-chest-waders-150-stout-3.shtml

I have never been cold or wet in them, used them for Eiders when it was -20c on the East Coast with a pair of fleece wader pants inside.

The way I look at it is its not near as much fun if I am cold...so why be cold?

TheProvider
01-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Definately go neoprene.... you can even get ones with removable fleece liners. Plus on those extra cold days, heated hand warmers work great stuffed in your boots. Cold feet are prolly the worst way to spoil a hunt

Beard
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Yea neoprene is the way to go. I had 3 mill long ago but 5 a few years ago so a bit thicker. I have used them steel heading and they keep me warm in the cold. I buy the ones that you have to buy the boots separate. I have many friends that have got cracks where the boots connect to the waders, so now they have the same waders as me :) Just don't trample all over the neoprene boots when getting in and out of them and they'll last you.

Tanya
01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
These are what we've been using for the last decade. From Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-3mm-Neostretch8482-Neoprene-Chest-Waders-with-Lug-Soles-Regular/734969.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dneoprene%2Bwaders%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz _l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=neoprene+waders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products)

digger dogger
01-21-2012, 04:22 PM
You know I would have to go check the actual brand but these are the Can. Tire $139 ones they have lasted me 5 seasons now and T put them thru a lot of $hit and abuse I will probably go with the same ones, may just pick up another pair for cold weather anyway dispite my old ones still working fine.

Thank-you. :-)

Riverratz
01-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Agree with everyone else. Neoprene is the way to go.
We got ours from Cabela's years ago and they have held up perfectly thru many years of fishing and hunting, and, as I recall, they aren't the high end ones either, around $130/pr I think.
We have the "stocking foot" chest high style, (foot section is neoprene and permanently forms part of the complete wader) and wear standard fishing type/felt sole wading boots over top, and we always put the gravel guards on so no rocks get down inside the boot. Some Stanfields long-johns with wool socks, and good to go. 'One size too big' works well, forget the fashion statement, this is about staying warm.
Have stood in waist deep water for hours where we had to bust 1/4" ice with our fists to get into the reeds/blinds with no problems at all, and some winter steel-heading as well.
Ours have the reinforced (double layer) knees, crotch, and butt which are subject to the most wear, so would recommend that feature as well.
Never walk around in the waders without the boots on or you risk puncturing the foot section and water will leak inside. We've paid attention to always wearing the boots since new and no punctures or leaks yet.
Prefer chest highs over waist length - if it's too warm simply roll them down toward your waist and tuck the suspenders inside so they're not dangling in the water.
The one downside is that they can be too warm if you have to hike any distance, but you can always pack them and change once you arrive on site. Hiking with them on through the bush is not a good idea as they can snag/rip/tear. In really warm weather (summer), they can be screeching hot if you're out in the sun for any length of time and you're running for the water to cool off.
For the cold water, they can't be beat.

Nekhani
01-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Commercial Fishermen wear Bama Sockets to keep their feet warm and dry in the worst conditions..

They are amazing and keep your feet dry as well as they wick away the moisture from your foot even when you get a soaker.As well they keep your socks from falling down and ending up around your Big toe. Been using them for over 35 years now.

I am pretty sure they are made in Poland but available here in BC, they last forever and I have always worn them in my waders. I have always had very comfortable feet no matter what the temperature.

You can buy them at Marks Work Wearhouse in Ladner or the Marks Work wear world chain may carry them. Nikka in Steveston wil have them too, have seen them there. They are Blue in colour with Green trim.

Have never found anything better, wouldn't even think of going hunting without them on my feet when wearing Hip waders, Chest waders, Gumboots or Snowpacks..

Pull them off at the end of the day and your sock will be dry and your bama socket will only be damp from your foot sweat..

Just buy your waders abut 1/2 size bigger to accommodate them.

Give them a try, about $13.00 per pair, I am sure you will be happy with them..never found anything that compares.

Tried and True!

shotgunjohn
01-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Have had both the stocking foot and the boot foot neoprene waders. Think the boot foot are way better for waterfowl. Felt wading boots collect mud or snow and you end up walking on round balls. I have cut down large size boots to wear over the stocking foot ones but they were subject to getting rocks, sand and mud in them. You can get the boot foot with insulated boots just make sure, as others have stated, to get them big enough to trap some air around your feet.

CoqTrophys
01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Im going to go against the grain on this one. I like breathable waders. Much more freedom to move and lots of room to layer up under them. I used neoprene for my first years but found the freedom to move in the breathables was something i am not willing to give up. With the abuility to layer up I have never been cold. Trust me, comments are made in the blind about my breathables(I think its because most every duck/goose hunter wears neoprene). But the bottom line is this, I can move much more freely then neoprene and I sacrifice nothing in body temp because of the abuility to layer. My experience.

blindman
01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
I too prefer breathable waders. With the advantage of layering as needed and flexibility when moving, there is one other consideration; when neoprene waders get wet, you can feel the cold in the legs as water evaporates. Also, since the surface of the neoprene absorbs a small amount of moisture, it conducts cold better than the dry surface of the breathable wader. As a sea-kayaker, I used both materials and believe me, the dry suit (gortex) is hands down the winner. The problem we are concerned with is keeping your feet warm and the only thing that matters in this regard is the boot insulation and socks. High insulation factor will cause sweating if you are a walk in hunter and tight socks will cut off circulation and compress the insulating layers making them less effective. You have to determine what will work best for you and make adjustments for your particular case.

I found the heated insoles I mentioned and there are two brands, Thermacell Insoles and Thermosoles. One has automatic temperature control and the other has remote control. Search for them on Google or whatever.

Nothing is more miserable than cold feet when you are not shooting at any thing!

skyhawk
01-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks to all of you, for the very useful suggestions. I think I have enough info to make a decision on what to buy, I'm pretty sure that my feet won't be half frozen again during the next duck hunting season.

WaderGator
01-22-2012, 09:45 PM
cabelas super mag 1600's with fleece wader pants. warm and toasty