PDA

View Full Version : caribou hunting

wos
01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Im toying with the idea of a caribou hunt I've never hunted them before so Im looking for suggestions on areas and time of year. I have a jet boat and a pickup for transportation. Im not looking for fly in areas. and I dont have a quad.

91Jason91
01-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Lol cant help you on this one never been or gone

vortex hunter
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
WOS I want to hunt caribou also there one of my big goals in my hunting list... I have a place to stay in Stewart B.C. just need to find out were to go lol

white moose
01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Wos I also have a jetboat and want to hunt caribou. Saw 4 on the Muskwa, but nothing legal. It was about half hour before the tuchodi. 2 walked right into camp. Would like to find out what rivers have caribou options as well. Lets go together. lol.

The Dawg
01-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Wos I also have a jetboat and want to hunt caribou. Saw 4 on the Muskwa, but nothing legal. It was about half hour before the tuchodi. 2 walked right into camp. Would like to find out what rivers have caribou options as well. Lets go together. lol.

3006PG and I are also tossing this idea around for this year....hmmmm :)

Caribou_lou
01-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Haha. Wont be finding Caribou in Stewart, unless they are onthe side of a beer Can! Go up the Stikine, Hit the Spatsizi and hike to the Mountains. Lots of Caribou and if you target certain areas you may find them crossing the river. Great for big bull moose too, and easy to draw a grizzly tag! May as well put in for sheep also! More tags you have the more options and opportunities you will have!

pnbrock
01-20-2012, 11:42 PM
im with lou on this one.

Caribou_lou
01-20-2012, 11:42 PM
If you draw LEH in Spatsizi park you can shoot any bull also... Not saying you will want to shoot a small one but I have seen a few big bull with less than five points up top!

Caribou_lou
01-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Pnbrock's Avatar says alot!

vortex hunter
01-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Never SAID caribou are in Stewart I said I have a House to stay at IN STEWART . I know I would have to Travel Farther to find them ..But thanks for the area to head into ..Vortex

Caribou_lou
01-21-2012, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't detour to Stewart if I were you! Bad things happen on that highway! Such as it washing out... Then your stuck hunting goats!

vortex hunter
01-21-2012, 02:35 AM
aww hunting GOAT would be all right also would like one of them this year lol

wos
01-21-2012, 11:30 AM
So first is the stikine river navigable? and do the bulk of the caribou stay on top?

Caribou_lou
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
The majority of the Caribou are on the plateaus but they are often seen crossing the river. It is Navigable yes. A few tight spots but jet boats go up it every year. Residents and Guides.

Skull Hunter
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
I've hunted Caribou the past 2 years and have been in on 2 kills. A small one for a friend and a pretty decent one for myself. I've never been up the Stikine on a boat, but it would be my recommendation to you. Another spot to try might be heading up the Klappan Railway grade. As for timing I've found the first week in September to be the best, but that may only apply to the little valley I hunt them in.

wos
01-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the good info guys as I'm still in the early planning stages. So open to other suggestions and as I narrow it down I hope I can get in touch with some of you for more details.