PDA

View Full Version : A final day for ducks this time around.

naes
01-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Duck season seamed gone before it even started so I had to get out for the last day.
Kyle, James, Field Marshal, and I headed out to the bay for the last day of Duck Season. We were teased by a few birds and some even came in close enough for me to shoot. It was my first shoot at the bay and it was different than some of our other spots. The birds were coming from every direction and had lots of choices as we were not alone on this closing day. Ended up with a pile of birds to pluck and another great day water fowling!
Thanks guys for the laughs and good times today. Now it's time to clean up the gear and get ready for February goose season. :-D
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5018/fieldmarshal.jpg
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/7782/duffjan20.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9995/jamesandduff.jpg
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1286/jan202012.jpg

Foxton Gundogs
01-20-2012, 08:24 PM
Good shoot guys. Nice work Duff

91Jason91
01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
wow you cleaned up we are going to have to put in for LEH for ducks now after this hahahah

Crazy_Farmer
01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Look at that boss sprig! Surely you werent in on that one Tony?

No shame in gunning for the drake you know. hahaha

TheProvider
01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
great way to close out the season

field marshal
01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Yup! The sprig was mine!:-D James was pissed he didn't see it coming.:evil:
Sad day today!! It's my opinion our season opens too early and closes too soon!! I'm going to take it upon myself to try and rectify the situation???
With the help of all you serious waterfowlers in Regions 1 and 2, we can accomplish this????? More on this in the future! Hope everybody enjoyed
their duck season and maybe made some new friends? I know I did!!
Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
01-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Great way to end it folks!!! As you know i would definitely support a later opening to go later into the season and trade shots at lice infested locals for more time at these beauty full plummage mature *******s!

fowlweather
01-21-2012, 12:55 AM
"We were teased by a few birds and some even came in close enough for me to shoot" Ahem... it don't look like "some" or a "few"

Chessieguy
01-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Well done gents...that's a corker of a sprig Tony!!!

an adjustment in dates would make it much more interesting for sure...Some more full plumage birds is always a bonus.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Sad day today!! It's my opinion our season opens too early and closes too soon!! I'm going to take it upon myself to try and rectify the situation???
With the help of all you serious waterfowlers in Regions 1 and 2, we can accomplish this????? More on this in the future! Hope everybody enjoyed
Cheers---Field Marshal.

I'm with you, Sat. morning up at the regular time but nowhere to go and nothing to shoot, I'm depressed.:cry:

Crazy_Farmer
01-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Work today, cant use the "I'm hunting" excuse anymore till late goose and brant season.

I'll go for a season change only if you lose the last two weeks of oct. But keep thanksgiving opening weekend and that week. Can't screw with tradition.

Foxton Gundogs
01-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Work today, cant use the "I'm hunting" excuse anymore till late goose and brant season.

I'll go for a season change only if you lose the last two weeks of oct. But keep thanksgiving opening weekend and that week. Can't screw with tradition.

You do have a point but theres always Alberta..........ROAD TRIP????

fowl language
01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
tony, you have a mountanous task ahead of you. you will have to have agreements from all the clubs on the island and the support of region2 as we have a mirrored season to you. with the gov,t push harmonize seasons through out the province.they do listen to a point.be prepared for a long period of negoitations . with alot of help and support it can be done. took about 4 years to get the snow goose limit changed and has been about 4 years to try and get them to see the reason to raise the canada limit from 5 to 10..i wish you well and if i can help i will. i hope you can gather up a committee to help out as it will take some travel..keep in mind you will have to argue science so you,ll need the help from biologists and the farming community.if i can help just call....dale

kyleklassen
01-21-2012, 11:37 PM
O.K....you heard the man... lets all back tony on the quest to change things for the better.....k.k.....

heyblast
01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
There is absoultly no reason to change or extend the the season on ducks. It is currently more than generous on limits and season length. With the staggered goose seasons we can hunt waterfowl from sept to march with only a few periods when the season is closed. The ducks are also now starting to pair for the upcoming breeding season which will start in late march and further hunting pressure will only disrupt this cycle resulting in less birds for next season. Be happy with what we have, most waterfowl hunters in this country can only dream of being able to hunt an entire season from start to finish as we do.

field marshal
01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
There is absoultly no reason to change or extend the the season on ducks. It is currently more than generous on limits and season length. With the staggered goose seasons we can hunt waterfowl from sept to march with only a few periods when the season is closed. The ducks are also now starting to pair for the upcoming breeding season which will start in late march and further hunting pressure will only disrupt this cycle resulting in less birds for next season. Be happy with what we have, most waterfowl hunters in this country can only dream of being able to hunt an entire season from start to finish as we do.
Your response is the only negative one I have received out of several dozen answers I received on this subject!! As far as the birds pairing up for breeding, this happens often way before the end of January!! We are not asking for extra days we are asking that we get to target birds that are in our
areas in greater numbers at this time of year! Breeding disruption is not an issue!---Cheers---Field Marshal.

heyblast
01-22-2012, 03:38 PM
105 days for ducks is more than sufficient. Even with limited time in the field this season I had no problem accessing sufficient numbers of birds, in a public area I'll add. I've read enough posts on this site to clearly see there are enough birds being taken by a number of members that access to birds is a non starter. Also I see too many photos posted with half limits of hens or more to accept that a change to a later season will not effect breeding numbers. Yes ducks start forming lose pair bounds as early as Nov. but by the end of this month they will be pairing for the breeding season and an extension to the season will only have a negative effect on numbers.

field marshal
01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Now you are going to use the old story about how the shooting of drakes only is a primary source of waterfowl recruitment for the year????:confused:
Show me the science in this???? Then go ahead and tell me you only pick GANDERS out of a decoying flock of Canada's or Brant?? Get off it , I've already explained we don't want more days we want the dates adjusted to get the most value from our seasons!!!--- Cheers---Field Marshal.

heyblast
01-22-2012, 04:34 PM
I SAID THERE ARE ENOUGH OPPORTUNITIES IN THE CURRENT SEASON TO SHOOT YOUR LEGAL LIMIT OF DUCKS. I don't care if you shoot hens or not I've shot my share. The current season dosn't need to be changed to increase numbers of ducks shot.

lorneparker1
01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I love it when 2 old guys yell at each other on the internet!!!

I dont think i would nesscarily shoot more birds with it being open later.

However i know that i would shoot "nicer" more mature full plummage birds.

Lorne

Crazy_Farmer
01-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Tony must be the water on the island or something, but all you islanders want an extended season to shoot "nicer" plummaged birds???
All you guys shoot are hens???? So you want to shoot nicer brown ducks instead of plain brown ducks??

hahahhahahah

lorneparker1
01-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Tony must be the water on the island or something, but all you islanders want an extended season to shoot "nicer" plummaged birds???
All you guys shoot are hens???? So you want to shoot nicer brown ducks instead of plain brown ducks??

hahahhahahah

good point!!~!!

field marshal
01-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Colour blindness is one of the evils us Islanders have to put up with!!:mrgreen:
Although it's sometimes a pleasant surprise to discover we've actually
harvested a DRAKE!!:-D Veryyyyyy cheeky Adam!:?
Cheers----Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
They all taste the same in the pot!

And I know you know that

mattchu_19
01-23-2012, 09:47 AM
The way I look at it is its 6 of 1 and 1/2 a dozen of another. No matter when you open and close the season, we as avid waterfowlers will notice birds being around. Goose season closes at the end of November and we have fields filling up with cacklers and lesser, so should we try to get the season opened at that time too. Theres going to be Octobers where there are tons of birds around and Januarys where there are tons of birds around but to go along with that theres times during the whole season when there are no birds around, its just part of the game. You could close the season for two week any time during our whole season and anyone that hunts waterfowl would be pissed about the amount of birds that were around during that closed time. I also believe that waterfowl are birds of habit, and hunting pressure at new times of the season would make them change what they do, so lets say the season dates are moved to be later, after a couple of years of hunting later into january would we be worried about how many duck there are early in the season when its closed? I come from a family who has big traditions in hunting Thanksgiving long weekend and know a lot of guys in my area that would be pissed to not be hunting on that weekend. I will agree these next couple of week we will see more nice looking birds but that just the nature of the beast. Thats the kinda stuff that makes us want more for the next season and my dad has always said "there's always next season".

longshot
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Or maybe between the current duck season, remove all tuesdays and wednesdays... and all of those saved days (equals to be 30) you could add on to after Jan. 20... still following the no hunting on tuesday/wednesday rule.

That would make take this past season from October 8th --> March 2nd! And still equals 105 days. I'd be down with that!

f350ps
01-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Or maybe between the current duck season, remove all tuesdays and wednesdays... and all of those saved days (equals to be 30) you could add on to after Jan. 20... still following the no hunting on tuesday/wednesday rule.

That would make take this past season from October 8th --> March 2nd! And still equals 105 days. I'd be down with that!
Better yet, close it Sat and Sun, I'd be down with that! K

longshot
01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Awwwweeee, now that's just plain selfish!! ;)

FirePower
01-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Cheers---Field Marshal.

I would support a latter season but I for one wouldn't want to loose the Thanksgiving weekend it has been a tradition in my family for as long as I remember, my last hunt with my Da was on that weekend. Perhaps a split like with geese?

lorneparker1
01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Better yet, close it Sat and Sun, I'd be down with that! K

AGREED!! hahaha

Lorne

branthunter
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Just sent Tony my vote to keep it the way it is.

f350ps
01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Just sent Tony my vote to keep it the way it is.
You old guys are so opposed to change! :) K

Tanya
01-26-2012, 06:50 AM
You old guys are so opposed to change! :) K

LOL!!!

Ditto, keep it as it is. We've had some opening weeks in years past that were great, others that weren't. This year Decemeber was slow, another year it won't be - so it goes.

Cariboo Game Calls
01-26-2012, 09:14 AM

The birds need a chance to settle down and breed after getting the crap scared out of them during hunting season. Nesting is known to start in many areas as early as the first part of March. Including February as part of the hunting season could end up having a detrimental effect on the numbers of birds willing to nest in those affected areas and in turn reduce the hatches in those areas. For some reason many of us are never satisfied with what we have. If you look back into waterfowl hunting history you will see that human greed is why we have had restrictive hunting seasons and bag limits placed on us. Before anyone asks, yes, I am a waterfowl hunter, and have been an avid one for over fifty years. l also believe in conservation and I personally would oppose any action that is designed to move the waterfowl hunting season closer to the breeding and nesting times.

Foxton Gundogs
01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
The birds need a chance to settle down and breed after getting the crap scared out of them during hunting season. Nesting is known to start in many areas as early as the first part of March. Including February as part of the hunting season could end up having a detrimental effect on the numbers of birds willing to nest in those affected areas and in turn reduce the hatches in those areas. For some reason many of us are never satisfied with what we have. If you look back into waterfowl hunting history you will see that human greed is why we have had restrictive hunting seasons and bag limits placed on us. Before anyone asks, yes, I am a waterfowl hunter, and have been an avid one for over fifty years. l also believe in conservation and I personally would oppose any action that is designed to move the waterfowl hunting season closer to the breeding and nesting times.

If anyone thinks a group of hunters, even if it were EVERY hunter in the province, are going to pressure the Govt. and because of thatpressure, they will just change a season, I have shares in a bridge to sell you, it's will streatch from the Island to the Mainland, not quite built yet but someday...........maybe. My point is hunters can and have put forth changes to the regs BUT the final word will only be given IF the bios find no adverse effects and agree with the changes after countless studies. If they give the ok then and only then will change MAYBE happen. Just my oppinion.

lorneparker1
01-26-2012, 11:03 AM
If anyone thinks a group of hunters, even if it were EVERY hunter in the province, are going to pressure the Govt. and because of thatpressure, they will just change a season, I have shares in a bridge to sell you, it's will streatch from the Island to the Mainland, not quite built yet but someday...........maybe. My point is hunters can and have put forth changes to the regs BUT the final word will only be given IF the bios find no adverse effects and agree with the changes after countless studies. If they give the ok then and only then will change MAYBE happen. Just my oppinion.

Agreed... However, you are going to see some changes im pretty sure in THIS YEARS reg's that are due 100% from pressure from hunters.

Foxton Gundogs
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Agreed... However, you are going to see some changes im pretty sure in THIS YEARS reg's that are due 100% from pressure from hunters.

I agree with you Lorne BUT I still believe the bios would have to be on board with them. As for a latter season hurting the breeding season, apparently the geese didnt get that memo.

Chessieguy
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
I always figure that if you dont ask then there is just about a 100% chance that you will not receive any changes. If we do ask, then the worst that can happen is that they say no...

If from a biological point of view there are issues then I assume that will be identified, and for that reason would not happen.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Foxton Gundogs
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
I always figure that if you dont ask then there is just about a 100% chance that you will not receive any changes. If we do ask, then the worst that can happen is that they say no...

If from a biological point of view there are issues then I assume that will be identified, and for that reason would not happen.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Exactly my point in my response to worying about interfereing with the mating season. Hunters as a group can and should make their views and desires known but to assume that because hunters want something it will be done without a view to its impact is just nonsense. The MOE is not going to make changes that would devistate the waterfowl population just because hunters want it. Any changes will be a joint project. If for what ever reason someone doesnt suport changes for their own personal reasons fine and their right, but to use the stand it's because it will wreak havock on the duck population is just something IMHO, that would not be allowed to happen no matter how badly some would like to see a change in the season.

FirePower
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM

Just my 2 cents worth...

Capitol observation, my feelings as well.

kyleklassen
02-01-2012, 11:24 PM
anyway ...to get this back on track... to all those a!@#oles that called me down for shooting a merganser on the last day of the season.....eat your hearts out.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF1044.JPG

kyleklassen
02-01-2012, 11:25 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSCF1046.JPG

field marshal
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Is it April Fool's day already????:confused: Me thinks Captain Morgans had something to do with this post????:mrgreen:---Cheers---Field Marshal.