PDA

View Full Version : smoked pork ribs

jeff
01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
just took these outa the smoker..holly crap are they delicous ...the best ive ever made ..uhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG070.jpgsed only a dry rub

TheProvider
01-19-2012, 07:33 PM
looks pretty tasty

pnbrock
01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
how long over low heat? aswell as how long did you actually smoke them?

jeff
01-19-2012, 07:41 PM
how long over low heat? aswell as how long did you actually smoke them?

it frickin took forever ,soo cold .. i did em in my little chief ..smoked 4 pots of alder sawdust ..outside ofcoarse ,then brought it inside for the rest ..it took almost 22 hours to finsh .. its gotta brine with the dry rud in the fridge for 24 hours ...

jeff
01-19-2012, 08:26 PM
mouth watering ribs ...these are by far better than any ive bought already smoked ...penguin meats are pretty good ,but not this good

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 10:30 PM
That all your eating? Just ribs?? What else you putting on the plate? (hint do not say eggplant)

jeff
01-19-2012, 10:32 PM
That all your eating? Just ribs?? What else you putting on the plate? (hint do not say eggplant)

ribs and beer my friend ,,just like steak and potatoes.... i may like cooking but it sure aint that nancy shit

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
LOl ya all you need is ribs and beer and your good to go you dont need veggies or anything hahahahah
looks good

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 10:41 PM
ribs and beer my friend ,,just like steak and potatoes.... i may like cooking but it sure aint that nancy shit

Now that would be good!! Ribs and beer a Canadian comfort food. :-)

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Now that would be good!! Ribs and beer a Canadian comfort food. :-)

lamo canuckshooter I just saw you status thing
"santa is jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live."
funny stuff

goatdancer
01-19-2012, 10:47 PM
What is your rub recipe?

jeff
01-19-2012, 10:50 PM
What is your rub recipe?

top secret just kidding ...its the wallmart jerky cure .pepper or hickory flavour..then i add more garlic and a few more spices

BernDawg
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Mmmmm... All four food groups right there! Ribs=Meat Beer=All that other useless green sh*t that my food eats!!

01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
B astard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Thoes made me hungry and sad all at once,,,,, i dont have a smoker.......
man thoes look good..... Hickory smoke? Sorry i scrolled by all the posts i didnt want to read any of them for fear i might piss the wife off and buy a Bradley!

Angus
01-20-2012, 11:38 AM
B astard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Thoes made me hungry and sad all at once,,,,, i dont have a smoker.......
man thoes look good..... Hickory smoke? Sorry i scrolled by all the posts i didnt want to read any of them for fear i might piss the wife off and buy a Bradley!

835, you can get pretty similar results using the low and slow oven method instead of the smoker. All you gotta do is use the smokey paprika in the rub and it imparts a great smokey flavour. Get the stuff in the red tin, either the smokey sweet, or smokey hot. It's unbelievable how good that stuff is.

Then when they're pretty much done, lather them up with some homemade sauce and carmelize them on the grill.

01-20-2012, 12:05 PM
835, you can get pretty similar results using the low and slow oven method instead of the smoker. All you gotta do is use the smokey paprika in the rub and it imparts a great smokey flavour. Get the stuff in the red tin, either the smokey sweet, or smokey hot. It's unbelievable how good that stuff is.

Then when they're pretty much done, lather them up with some homemade sauce and carmelize them on the grill.

No kidding. Smoked papricka?
I usually dry rub them and let them sit for a couple days. Then Stick them direct to the BBQ. put the burner on one side and the ribs over the other on the top shelf with a drip tray on the bottom. Then take a mini cast iron pan and put some hickory chips in it and put that over the heat. That some apple juice and stick in in a sopray bottle and spray the ribs with it.... Process should take 3 hrs or so.

mmmmmm Ribs!

Islandeer
01-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Yummy eats!!

r106
01-20-2012, 12:26 PM
looks tasty Jeff.

My favorite is the 3-2-1 method

Use your rub let sit over night. Step #1 3 hours hickory smoke at 225* Step #2 wrap in foil with apple juice for 2 hours @ 225* Step #3 take out of foil and 1 hour more @ 225*. If you want a BBQ sauce, put in on in the last hour. Here's the step by step .. Give this a try Jeff http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

You can do the smoke in your chief and finish in the oven.. It's worth a try

I was very skeptical of this method but when I finally tied it, it was amazing. Just look at the pics in the link

Angus
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
No kidding. Smoked papricka?
I usually dry rub them and let them sit for a couple days. Then Stick them direct to the BBQ. put the burner on one side and the ribs over the other on the top shelf with a drip tray on the bottom. Then take a mini cast iron pan and put some hickory chips in it and put that over the heat. That some apple juice and stick in in a sopray bottle and spray the ribs with it.... Process should take 3 hrs or so.

mmmmmm Ribs!

Yup, used to use that method before I got my Weber charcoal grill. I just found that the gas grill wouldn't get hot enough to produce a ton of smoke, while still keeping the temp low enough for the ribs. So now I use the indirect method on the Weber. Drop the wet wood chunks on the coals, and you get tons of smoke.

The smoked paprika is awesome. I found it here at the Gourmet Warehouse on Hastings. I use it a lot on ribs, pulled pork rub, and chicken.

One last thing, when using the indirect method you lose half your grilling surface area, so to fit more ribs on the grill you can roll them up like tractor tires and use a skewer to secure the ends together. Stand them up, and typically you can fit up to six racks on one side of the grill.

Good ribbing to all.

01-20-2012, 01:16 PM

One last thing, when using the indirect method you lose half your grilling surface area, so to fit more ribs on the grill you can roll them up like tractor tires and use a skewer to secure the ends together. Stand them up, and typically you can fit up to six racks on one side of the grill.

Good ribbing to all.

oh my! That would look awesome. The presantation of it.....
i want to get a charcoal grill as well, id like to have both.

Foxton Gundogs
01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
DAMN YOU...................of to get ribs now.

01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
oooo ooooo Angus,
You could do your dry rub, then thin slice some apple wedges and a bit of demerara sugar coat to the apples. Then roll them up like you said!
If you get the right apples they will turn to mush while cooking and "Auto Glaze" The inside!

Foxton Gundogs
01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
oooo ooooo angus,
you could do your dry rub, then thin slice some apple wedges and a bit of demerara sugar coat to the apples. Then roll them up like you said!
If you get the right apples they will turn to mush while cooking and "auto glaze" the inside!

double damn u dru!!!

01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I know!
i have moose steak in the fridge maraniding right now and split pea and ham soup for Saturday,,, otherwise id be out getting ribs now too!

jeff
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
oooo ooooo Angus,
You could do your dry rub, then thin slice some apple wedges and a bit of demerara sugar coat to the apples. Then roll them up like you said!
If you get the right apples they will turn to mush while cooking and "Auto Glaze" The inside!

noooo ,dont ruin them with a sweet coating ......more pepper if anything ...sorry but one ove my peeves is ruining any meat with sweet flavour ..just not my thing .

Foxton Gundogs
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Spent all morning closing out the season on a "passable" not now I'm hungry as hell and u r NOT helping LOL

01-20-2012, 02:03 PM
noooo ,dont ruin them with a sweet coating ......more pepper if anything ...sorry but one ove my peeves is ruining any meat with sweet flavour ..just not my thing .

Well, if you do a few you can try them side by each!
My mind is whirling with ways to make Anguses Rolled Rib thing,,,,,, Damned!

Angus
01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
oooo ooooo Angus,

I'm not sure what you mean, but the intent of rolling the ribs is not to form a tight roll. You just stand the rack up, twist it until both ends meet, then skewer it to hold it together. Plus the demerara sugar is already in the dry rub.

01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
If you tight rolled it, then baste them.

Your just making a circle, i guess. I dont know, you just got me thinking Rib. I tryely enjoy bbq'ing ribs. And yer rolling idea, well how i enterpreted it anyway has just revolutionized my cooking!

Angus
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Roll 'em up like this to save room on the grill. At 3:10 of the video it shows what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND6o47fsJKU

I guess you could roll them tight, and roast super slow too.

r106
01-20-2012, 02:23 PM

I used to think that aswell. The key is not to over do it. If done right apple juice and pork is hard to beat. When I do ribs or pulled pork I use a little cyane pepper to combat the sweet. You get the hint of sweet and then a little heat mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good

01-20-2012, 02:55 PM
I used to think that aswell. The key is not to over do it. If done right apple juice and pork is hard to beat. When I do ribs or pulled pork I use a little cyane pepper to combat the sweet. You get the hint of sweet and then a little heat mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good

Yep, You have to balance Sweet and Salt. Savory and Sweet might not work.