PDA

View Full Version : cartridges for bears.

257stew
01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.scribd.com/westland2009/d/25558934-Safety-in-bear-country

On another thread regarding the 7mm and G bears I mentioned a report done in the 80's and googled it and found it. Hope it opens as I am not a computer guru. Interesting read for sure and the 7mm did do better then I remembered.

If it does not open I will try and get the computer tech at work to do his thing when he gets back from having teeth pulled.

257 Stew

rocksteady
01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
I am sure Gate or Bartell will correct me if I am wrong, but back in that era there was not nearly so many "performance" bullets available....

IIRC the big "revolution" in bullets was Nosler Partitions....

Since then we have got the Gran Slams, Barnes, Ballistic tips, yada yada yada.....I think the bullets, if they did the same assessment today would leave the old findings in the dust, when measuring penetration and damage done...

257stew
01-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Yup...new test needs to be done, however back then we did have Partitions and Barnes originals and the old Grand slams which are suppose to be better then the new ones.I just thought it would be an interesting read thats all. We can look at how some of the old rounds did and then we can compare them to some of the newer ones not on the list which would work out the same if the bullets speed are ~ the same. ie. 300 wsm would be about the same as the 300win, 7stw,rum,wsm would do the same as 7mag,325wsm would do as well as the 8mm mag etc.

Did the link open up for you. I went to go back on the site and now the report will not show up.

257stew
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
try this if the 1st one did not open. 257Stew

www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

wsm
01-19-2012, 04:18 PM
223 win imo
:mrgreen:

Moose Guide
01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
http://www.scribd.com/westland2009/d/25558934-Safety-in-bear-country

On another thread regarding the 7mm and G bears I mentioned a report done in the 80's and googled it and found it. Hope it opens as I am not a computer guru. Interesting read for sure and the 7mm did do better then I remembered.

If it does not open I will try and get the computer tech at work to do his thing when he gets back from having teeth pulled.

257 Stew

I still have the original article, I think I will stay with my .338 WM

Gateholio
01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
I've read it before and it's an interesitng read, but really dated concerning bullets.

Jagermeister
01-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I used to frequent a Alaskan outdoor forum about 15 years ago. I remember the topic of coastal kodiak bear encounters coming up one time. Of course, the topic of 12 ga slugs came up and how all the Alaskan people pooh-poohed that idea. One poster said that his brother used Breneke slugs but all the other posters that habituated that realm and had real encounters preferrd the use a 375 calibre of one make or another. Quite a few had personal stories of encounters and dispatching a few not having any other alternative.

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2012, 08:35 PM
If I were going grizzly or kodiak hunting I'd want at least a .338WM, but I'd be more comfortable with a .375 Ruger or H & H... Of course, premium bullets like the Barnes TSX...