PDA

View Full Version : No deer in Merritt

reach
10-09-2006, 10:20 AM
at least not where I looked. :lol:

I drove up on Friday via some back roads and camped at 4800 ft. Bright & early Saturday I hiked about 5 km up to about 5700 ft through some fresh snow and didn't see any deer tracks at all. I hadn't seen any on the drive in after dark either, so I wasn't surprised to see nothing in the morning.

Down lower seemed to be fairly heavily used cattle ranching area. Do deer coexist with cattle on the open range? In my limited experience I haven't seen as many deer in areas with cattle as in areas without. I suppose there's too much competition for food?

Near the top I did find some fresh moose tracks and followed them for a while... I think it was a cow and a calf but I'm new at this so couldn't be sure. I didn't have a moose tag anyway so once the tracks headed down the wrong drainage away from the truck, I turned around.

It sure was a beautiful morning for a hike though. So far, hunting has been a great excuse to get out there and see some country.

http://www.junkpile.net/hunting/merritt_snow_1.jpg

http://www.junkpile.net/hunting/merritt_snow_2.jpg

browningboy
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Where you up around Chataway area? I've tried up there a few times years ago without any success either, at least you got to see some nice country!

pupper
10-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Ive never had good success with merrit either, but I beleive that there are big deer in their but merrit is not the place to see quantitys of deer.
I followed a buck around chattaway last year but it outsmarted me and I never got a shot off.

mark
10-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Moo too, have hunted a little around there with no success! I know merrit has good deer hunting i just havnt found it yet. seems like everywhere i go around there is owned by some cattle ranch!

3kills
10-09-2006, 12:46 PM
u guys are all right there is no deer in around merritt area ;) reach where about were ya? and yes deer will coexist with cattle just not that often will u see them together but u will see them....

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Nope, no deer around Merritt, none at all.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Merritt.jpg

Will
10-09-2006, 01:19 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

reach
10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
LOL... like I said, I'm new at this (didn't do any pre-season scouting) so I have no idea (even general area) of where to look. But I'm having fun anyway. :)

I was SE of Merritt in the Selish Mt. area.

Edit: See, I told you so... there used to be a couple of deer out there, but Fisher-Dude got them all. :lol:

3kills
10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
reach if u come back this way let me know i will see if i can help u out....fisher dude what general area is that the scenery looks pretty familar...

Fisher-Dude
10-09-2006, 04:03 PM
fisher dude what general area is that the scenery looks pretty familar...

Generally, around Merritt. :lol:

gary mok
10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
me too,I didn't see any bears and deers during June for bear hunted this year and my friends went there for 3 days hunted,came back and told me,only saw 2 does but no bucks on Sept this year,I do believe there're bucks over there but some of us couldn't find their dam,it's so lucky of them!!!

Steeleco
10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Spent the day yesterday above the Coq. Beautiful area meet a few folks that got 4 deer early Saturday. I didn't see anything but a cow moose. But there are animals there, just elusive. One Nov looking for my buddies LEH doe, an old fellow told me we were looking for grey ghosts. He was right!!!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1099.JPG

3kills
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
u just gotta know were to hunt around here i know a few areas that hold 30 inch plus bucks but like any big buck they never got that big being stupid.....

overthetop
10-10-2006, 09:08 AM
We went hunting yotees there in the spring and saw tonnes of deer. I'm not sure how close we could have got, and we saw lots of moose too.

GoatGuy
10-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Echo, echo, echo
http://www.hunt101.com/img/427335.jpg

Unfortunately the young fella in the pic shot the small buck that day! He was still happy.

The Hermit
10-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Years ago I spent five days working my way from the Fraser up and over the back country to Merritt. I only saw a few does and one big black bear... oh and two thousand head of cattle! About noon on day five I was tempted ... ;-)

Steeleco
10-10-2006, 03:15 PM
About noon on day five I was tempted Yeah the little furry ones always look tasty. That and I can move one ot those, unlike it's Mom!!!! 8-)8-)

browningboy
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I've actually seen more moose up behind Tunkwa than I've seen deer, but its all up to luck and some hard work, they're around but with the heavy pressure, no big buck will just hang out.

WoodOx
10-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Ive seen a number, but never taken any mule deer near Merritt.

for those of you who are having a hard time in the area, if your really stuck I can point you in the general direction of an area - no specifics though :lol:

PM me if you get really stuck this season

tom cat
10-11-2006, 11:23 PM
ya this old timer i just met up in the george area swears there are big bucks in the back end of Douglas L. i 'm not sure but that 47" mulie he got in 1951 is definately proof .

WoodOx
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM
I wanna see a pic of a 47" mulie! wow that would be wicked hey...

Theyre around, hunt late season, get permission from some ranchers who have forest fringe/alfalfa etc

Push cooleys in earlier season

3kills
10-12-2006, 08:47 AM
yeah there is definatly some big bucks up in behind douglas lake but alot of that not u have to pay to hunt on...and alot of the good ranchs wont let u hunt there property....

browningboy
11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Looks promising, this is where I"m going this weekend, getting pumped!

greenbike1
11-09-2006, 12:51 AM
I try to tuck in by elkhart or sunset.