PDA

View Full Version : Inuit Seagull trap

snowhunter
01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
http://knr.gl/da/nyheder/m%C3%A5ge-massakre-i-nanortalik

In couple of hours, 52 Seagulls were trapped in this box at the local dump, filled with food leftovers.

This simple trap is made in a manner, that the gulls can jump into it, but due to the size of the gulls body weight, that needs space for the large wings in order for it to take off, the gull is trapped inside the box.

The Seagulls has become a serious problem around fish processing plants, and several people has been attacked an injured by these aggressive birds.

All trapped Seaguls are then destroyed.

huntcoop
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
They should make and put those on some roof tops in the city.

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 03:00 PM
http://knr.gl/da/nyheder/m%C3%A5ge-massakre-i-nanortalik

In couple of hours, 52 Seagulls were trapped in this box at the local dump, filled with food leftovers.

This simple trap is made in a manner, that the gulls can jump into it, but due to the size of the gulls body weight, that needs space for the large wings in order for it to take off, the gull is trapped inside the box.

The Seagulls has become a serious problem around fish processing plants, and several people has been attacked an injured by these aggressive birds.

All trapped Seaguls are then destroyed.

How are they killed? What is done with them after they are destroyed?? Do you know?

snowhunter
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Most likely by holding the gull and then turning the neck, or by grabbing the head and body, and then a quick pull ? No shots were fired according to this article, which does not mention how the gull were killed.

The trap is 60 cm high and 2 meter long.

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 04:03 PM
WOW...that would be up close, and personal!! Funny there was no big hula-baloo raised over this kill???

Drillbit
01-19-2012, 04:05 PM
I can only assume they water board them once they are caught.

FirePower
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
I wonder id a tighter, deeper virsion would work on pigeons

01-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Nothing like fresh " Italian Snowgoose" for dinner.

Yummy

CT

358mag
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Isn't it illegal to kill seagulls ??? or that is only if your a Whitman

Big Lew
01-19-2012, 04:36 PM
Don't know about now, but it used to be a fifty dollar fine for each bird when I was a youth.

snowhunter
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
It's a Gull-cull

gcreek
01-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I guess Greenland's bios do more than study problem wildlife. They are essentially rats with wings.

We could use some of their logic on other issues in Bleedingheart Columbia.

mbway
01-19-2012, 10:24 PM
wonder if it would work on ravens .

Johnny G1
01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
wonder if it would work on ravens . That would be nice, have 18 of them in the neiborhood stealing garbage and today they were all across the street stealing dog food out of the niebors pickup, quite a show all day and the traffic goin by don't bother them to much.

Bear Chaser
01-19-2012, 10:31 PM
wonder if it would work on ravens .

I was thinking the same thing.
Magpies too.

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
they need those in the city and at bc ferries

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 10:44 PM
Do they taste like chicken? Anyone try eating a gull?

Drillbit
01-20-2012, 12:05 AM
I've seen a magpie trap years ago, but can't remeber exacty how it worked. It looked like a big crap trap, Black water line and netting, 'bout a 5 foot circle. It was full of magpies!

hunter1947
01-20-2012, 03:15 AM
Would work good for grouse LOL..

snowhunter
01-20-2012, 06:37 AM
I have only seen the young, newly airborne Seagulls, called "Najat" hunted and and consumed by the Inuit people, who never hunted the older Seagulls.

Been wondering as well, if this "Inuit Gull Trap" would work on other birds as well. Clearly, the Inuit chap from Qaqortoq, Greenland, that invented this trap, studied the gulls "take off procedures", who in order to get airborne realized that the gulls, unlike ravens and many other birds, just jump up and get airborne and fly away, the gull needs few meters of open and level "runway" to get airborne, and this box in which the gulls inters with ease, denies the gull that runway to get airborne again.

According to this article, this trap does not work on ravens, but the inventors are working on modifying this trap, in hope to create a trap that works on ravens as well.

Even for many heavier birds, who can take off with a "zero runway", still need a certain flying angle before they are completely airborne, and higher wall for this small box could deny them to fly away ? Could a netted fence on top of the box do the trick ? Any other suggestions and ideas ?

boxhitch
01-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Take a look at what is called an 'M trap'
Large box trap shaped like the letter M , the v on top has openings at the bottom that birds drop into after the bait, and cannot fly up and out .
Works good on starlings but they are easier to catch than others

snowhunter
01-27-2012, 04:33 PM
I have learned that Pigeons are trapped in semilar fashion.

lovemywinchester
01-27-2012, 05:06 PM
How are they killed? What is done with them after they are destroyed?? Do you know?

Put them in a hd garbage bag. Attach to tail pipe of running truck. Drink coffee in truck for a minute while the deed is done. Twist tie and put in can. Done. No muss no fuss.

snowhunter
01-27-2012, 06:35 PM
In case of the need to use the exhaust for killing the birds, I think would it be easier to cover the trap with a tarp and then pipe in the exhaust ?

Putting these very strong winged, and often agressive seagulls into a plastic bag and keep them there, could be a problem. Gulls bites, and a smack on your nose from their wings, could break your face.

Best to wear working gloves while grabbing their head and body, and make a quick pull, which instantly makes the Gull expire. No mess.

308Lover
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Killing of gulls in BC is illegal as far as I know. Perhaps not in Denmark.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Why would they be protected?? To the best of my knowledge they are not particularly special to anyone?? We see them inland sometimes but those wouldnt be seagulls then?

fowlweather
01-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I can't wait till the government decides theres too many of the little pests, and they get opened up like crows... oh boy that will be a good day