PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Sighting Help!

Quantafer
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I have a female friend that's alone on a ranch while my buddy works up north. The other day she heard the dogs (small 40 lbers) barking in the late eveing, she didnt think much of it. Then about 10 minutes later they started freaking out again, so she went to check what it was only to find a cougar staring through the patio door.

The only cougars I have experience with would rather nibble then bite :-D.

So my questions is what is the likely hood of the animals sticking around now that it has made the dogs.

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 02:52 PM
It all depends on how hungry it is.....make sure she practices extreme caution with a cat around the house.

wicket
01-19-2012, 03:00 PM
im thinking a million percent especially when it doesnt demonstrate any fear looking in a patio door ....big cats can sure be spookity i agree with canuckshooter please tell her to be careful

vortex hunter
01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Im would tell her To KEEP A SCATTER GUN CLOSE WHILE OUTSIDE....My 2 cents .

seatoskymiles
01-19-2012, 03:26 PM
pretty sure some people on this forum can help her get rid of the cat if she wants to

weatherby_man
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
pretty sure some people on this forum can help her get rid of the cat if she wants to

Thats what I was thinking....

Drillbit
01-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Call the local guy with the hounds, there's one (at least) in every town. He'll be happy to TC of B.

seatoskymiles
01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
where is the ranch? I got some time on my hands right now

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 04:11 PM

ya lol are cats still in season.....
or just call the Co and tell him the cat ran at me and I ran inside and shut the door before it could get me..... the Co will take care of that cat fast

M.Dean
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
This has nothing to do with your friends Cat problem, but!!! Years ago we had friends that lived a ways back in the bush, no power, phones etc. One Christmas she had the kids up for the holidays, there older, and spent one night drinking until the wee hours with there Dad. It was dam cold out, minus 20 type thing, and the story go's, everyones slowly passing out from all the partying, so our friend, the Mother, said she put her boots on and took a quick run to the out house. Seems normal, but for the last couple weeks they've been seeing Cat tracks all around the house, and I heard the old Man seen the Cat a few times. So, anyways, as soon as our friend got into the out house, what does she hear but a great big"Thud" landing on the bloody roof of the crapper!!! She said she knew instantly what it was, the Cat wanted a easy Christmas dinner, and Helen was it!!! So, she does what I've done, she screams bloody murder at the guys in the house to shoot the Cat off the roof of the out house!!! She screamed for a good 5 minutes, and no answer, no loud bang, no comforting words from the house like" Just a sec, were loading up the gun's, nothing"!!! Then it slowly dawns on Helen, shes going to freeze to death before the drunk'in bums in the house wake up!!! As far as I can remember, she said she screamed for dam near a hour and a half, nothing! She finally decided if she doesn't make a run for the house, she's going to freeze to death! Shes dressed in jammies, boots and a house coat!!! That was the longest and fastest run she ever made she claimed!!! When she finally got in the house, she said all hell broke loose as she kicked and slapped the old man and the boys for not waking up to help her!!! I can't remember if Dan ever got the Cat or not, so besides some mild frost bite, and a few bad hang overs, all turned out for the best!!!

Seth
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
ya lol are cats still in season.....
or just call the Co and tell him the cat ran at me and I ran inside and shut the door before it could get me..... the Co will take care of that cat fast

You'de be better off with the hounds. . .

FirePower
01-19-2012, 04:18 PM
You'de be better off with the hounds. . .

Most likely quicker as well.

Big Lew
01-19-2012, 04:33 PM
If it's poking about the yard even with the dogs 'freaking out', it's likely very hungry and consequently very dangerous. At a camp on the west side of Harrison Lake, they had a similar problem. A cougar jumped on the back of the cook as he was going from one building to another. Fortunately for him, a hydro employee was driving into camp and raced his truck toward the cat, scaring it off. That wasn't the end of it though. The cook kept his eyes peeled for that cat, and a few days later saw it watching him from behind a boulder on the adjacent hillside. He shot it right between the eyes. That cook was jittery about walking about camp ever since even though he got the cat, saying if there's one, there's more that might see me as a juicy snack.

walks with deer
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Were is the ranch

how much property do they have i know some guys with dogs that i am sure would take care of it as long as it isnt to urban.

olharley guy
01-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I have a female friend that's alone on a ranch while my buddy works up north. The other day she heard the dogs (small 40 lbers) barking in the late eveing, she didnt think much of it. Then about 10 minutes later they started freaking out again, so she went to check what it was only to find a cougar staring through the patio door.

The only cougars I have experience with would rather nibble then bite :-D.

So my questions is what is the likely hood of the animals sticking around now that it has made the dogs.

Howdy, might be a good idea to give a little more information to some of the people on here-if your friend is not afraid to shoot it she better go for it.

Two dogs killed in Likely last week, children chased today in Mission - I am sure there are a few people on here who would like to take care of this asap before there is another news item. Later