PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a 7mm mag for grizz

gutpile
01-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I talked to somebody that said my 7mm rem is under
powered, how many of you have taked grizzlys with that caliber
and lets see some pictures with grizzly kills.

todbartell
01-19-2012, 12:16 AM
I would if it was my only rifle. Properly loaded with a premium 160-175gr bullet it will work if you put the bullet where it belongs. Triple Shocks, Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, something that will hold together.

If you have a 300 Win Mag or 338, 375...that would be better medicine

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 12:18 AM
I use my 300RUM but I would if it was my only gun but would 100 Percent rather have my 300RUM cause 7mm might allow it to run farther and if its charging you you want a BFG
Big f***K**G GUN lol

wiggy
01-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Dont got pics because it was a long time ago but ive seen a few felts that came off that round; placement is key; you hitem right and its a done deal

ROEBUCK
01-19-2012, 12:22 AM
not on a planned grizz hunt !

Tikka270
01-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Wouldn't be my first choice but like its said on here all the time "shot placement is the key".

Nekhani
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
Shot placement of course is always the key and if you have to, of course drill it with a 7mm. Just be sure to hit the Heart, Lungs or spine otherwise you may not find it.

If you have a choice don't use a 7mm for Bear Hunting.. if you are looking for a bear gun upgrade to a 300 mag, 338 or 375 h&h if you are serious about Grizzly Hunting..

Bears are very tough and can survive severe wounds if not hit in the vitals. I understand it may be something to do with their gall bladders and healing qualities that the bile provides.

You want to make a clean kill. The 7mm is fast and small and just does not seem to do the job as well as the bigger magnums.

I am sure the point can be argued and no doubt will be by some.

Use a 7mm to kill game you want to eat (ungulates). Good long range mule deer gun.

I doubt if a 7mm mag was designed to be an efficient Bear Gun.

sherpa-Al
01-19-2012, 01:06 AM
I was on a "planned" grizz hunt with a buddy sporting his trusty 7mm rem mag. We were stalking grizzlies through an alder thicket on an estuary when we spotted our chosen bear 100meters away out on the grass flat. The bear jumped in the water and swam to the other side of the channel emerging on the bank across from us at 150 meters. The bear stopped briefly and took a nosler partition to both lungs, side stepped and then took another behind the ear to end the hunt. All the while I never felt the need to shoulder my 300 win mag for protection. On that day I was partnered with an exceptional hunter who knew his quarry, rifle and bullet very well and to him, his 7mm/nosler partion combination was more than adequate for a grizzly. One well placed bullet from a smaller caliber will out kill 5 poorly placed from a large calibre every time.

No pics but if you look around hard enough the hunt is on a dvd!

Al.

Drillbit
01-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Used a 270 BAR on grizz last year. Took 1 shot @ 200 yards, 130grn SST.

My Dad was with me with his 7mm. Didn't need it, but it would've worked too.

Saw it from a mile away, walked up to 200 and picked a good rest. Sqeezed off a good shot. Bear didn't even kick.

If the bear was worked-up, trying to eat me, a bigger gun would me nice, but to hunt and shoot a grizz a 7mm would be fine.

fireguy
01-19-2012, 02:21 AM
The problem with hunting grizzlies is that you can plan to have a nice 150 to 200 yard broadside shot and take the time to place your shot exactly where you want to, but that might not happen either and you might end up having a close up encounter with a very large bear moving very fast towards you and want the larger caliber. I have only taken one grizzly, I had lots of pland for the rest, the shot placement, the back-up guy was going to be ready and it was all going to work out just fine. What happened wasn't even close to that, first shot from less than 50 yards coming down a slide behind us, a miss at him running, a hit, another hit at a ball of fur coming straight at us, he got up at less than 10 feet and I was out of ammo, a shot from my partner at another moving ball of fur from very close and he ran off and died in the bush not far from where we were standing.

My three hits were all good shots, the first one went in through the front shoulder and hit lung, the second was a little far back to do much good, the third was through the other shoulder and lung, he was dead but just didn't know it. I was using a 300 win mag, 180 grain winchester black talons I think they were called back then and they mushroomed perfect weighing 169 grains and 172 grains when I weighed the ones recovered.

If I did it again, or should I say when, I will probably upgrade the size of projectile that I throw at the bear even though I know my 300 mag works just fine.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x477/fireguy4/Scan_Pic0002.jpg

GoatGuy
01-19-2012, 05:43 AM
Works fine.

Pioneerman
01-19-2012, 06:59 AM
It would work just fine, but I would not take it unless it is my only rifle. In this case bigger can never hurt, providing you can shoot it well.

kendoo
01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
7 mm may work if the hunt is on your terms but most of my encounters with grisslies has been on thier terms & was lucky to be packing a 338 with 250 grn. round nose. Good brush cutter when things go side ways.

Gateholio
01-19-2012, 07:47 AM
7rm + good shot placement + premium bullets = dead grizzly

Hunt'n Guide
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
If a 7mm is what you have, with good bullets and shot placement it should work fine. It wouldn't be the first gun I'd reach for going on a grizzly hunt but that's because there are guns better suited to hunting grizzlies in the gun cabinet with my 7mm.

Remember back in the old days guys like Jack O'Connor killed grizzlies with .270's shooting bullets that most of us wouldn't shoot at deer with these days. Shot placement is the key.

Ruger4
01-19-2012, 08:09 AM
they kill'em with arrows so ya I think a 7 mm would probably work.......................

Camp Cook
01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
I wouldn't use a 7mm mag but that is because I have never owned one and will probably never own one.

If I am grizzly hunting I would be packing my 21" barreled Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM but that is more due to I put it together for my central/northern BC rifle for defense/hunting with the scope off it would be loaded with my 350gr TSX with the scope on its loaded with 260gr Accubonds...

I've messed around with smaller/lighter rifle/cartridge combo's and they would all work but with this set up I am set for close in fast action shooting or reaching out to 500 yards if I had to.

rocksteady
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Response to OP's question....

Yep...Why not??? As Gate pointed out...

7mm + good shot placement + premium bullets = dead grizzly

I shot my grizz with my 30-06......180 Winchester Fail Safes...Solo hunt....dead bear....

srupp
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
hmmm seen B AND C BARS KILLED WITH 7 MM FINE..WILL KILL JUST FINE..it may not be the best stopper out there however it has harvested both coastal bears and interior bears...not my beszt choice but if used with preminm bullets..Barnes..used in a decent distance..dead bear.

steven

ROEBUCK
01-19-2012, 09:32 AM
sure a 7mm will kill a grizz !
but if you can afford the time off work, and the expense of a grizz hunt ,you can afford a more suitable gun for grizz

pescado
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Go get some good bullets and go shoot your bear if the 7Rm is all you have. Make sure your confident with it before you leave and hit him well.

boxhitch
01-19-2012, 09:52 AM
They are only skin and meat and bones, nothing mystical
When things go right any centerfire can be used
When they go wrong nothing is big enough

7mag and 300 mag are twins

Camp Cook
01-19-2012, 09:57 AM
7mag and 300 mag are twins

and I look at the 30-06 & 7mm as twins probably the biggest reason I have never bought a 7mm...

257stew
01-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Years ago(mid 80's) I read a report from Alaska F&W on testing they did for which cal. to use for short range bear stoppers. They tested a variety of guns/calibers. The 460Wby was out due to the high cost of ammo and rifles but did finish first(surprise lol) the top 10 were 458win,375H&H, 338 with 2 different barrel lengths and 2 different bullets weights and then the 30/06 with 220 and 200 gr ammo. The 7mm and various 300's finished well down the list with alot of other calibers finishing better (45/70,358's etc.) What seemed to help finish well was a heavy bullet at moderate speed. The light bullets were moving to fast to hold together and thus lacked penetration.

The tests were done at 10 and 15 yrds . They did acknowledge that alot of the calibers that did not finish well would do alot better if the tests were done at longer ranges.

So for hunting at ranges of 100-200 yrds a 7mm/270 would work well but should you need to follow up on a wounded bear and the last shot(s) are going to be real short in distance the 7mm/270 are at a real disadvatage.

A 7mm mag would not be my first choice ( I would use one of my 8mm mags with premium 220gr bullets or my 30/06 with 220's) but if it is the only gun you have and do not wish to purchase another then make sure to use premium bullets that hold together well.

As always this is just my opinion. Regards 257Stew

Husky7mm
01-19-2012, 10:31 AM
This bear was shot at 350 yds with a 7mm rem 160 gr accubonds and it went right through the bear. 1 shot, it was down in 20 yardshttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/grizzside.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

wsm
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
many grizzlies have been taken with 30-30, 303 brit, and 30-06, i would not think twice about using a 7mag, just use a good bullet

boxhitch
01-19-2012, 10:44 AM
and I look at the 30-06 & 7mm as twins probably the biggest reason I have never bought a 7mm...agreed, so made my first magnum a 7 stw for the added fps

boxhitch
01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Just use a big bullet
160 gr. min., 175 gr. preferred

eastkoot
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
It's just a bear, skin it out and it will look just like Boxhitch without underwear!!!

todbartell
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
Just use a big bullet
160 gr. min., 175 gr. preferred

use a bullet that acts big. I'd take a 140gr TTSX over a 175gr Sierra BTSP

Devilbear
01-19-2012, 11:48 AM
It's just a bear, skin it out and it will look just like Boxhitch without underwear!!!

Ahem, just HOW do YOU know what BH looks like sans his undies??????? HHMMMMMMM????????? ;)

hunter1993ap
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
agreed, so made my first magnum a 7 stw for the added fps
you dont gain enough fps to make it worth it. too much powder for not enough gain. makes for a really short barrel life. if you wanted more than a 7mm in a stw case you should have gone with a 300 weatherby. if you got it for a grizzly gun.

01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I shot my only grizz with a 7mm RM, 175gr Nosler Partition load, one shot kill.

Krico
01-19-2012, 04:19 PM
I talked to somebody that said my 7mm rem is under
powered, how many of you have taked grizzlys with that caliber
and lets see some pictures with grizzly kills.

Whoever you spoke with doesn't know what they're talking about. Lots of guys have "taked" grizzlies with a 7mmRM, myself and friends included. If you want a bigger gun and have the money, go ahead and upsize. It is not necessary though.

srupp
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
hmmm if I get time I will post a photo of a large coastal bear taken down by a 7mm...did fine even used the NOSLER PARTITION..lol..there are good... better ...best..and some never recomended..

I have personally went with a .338 sako model 85? synthetic stock, ss barrel action, 3 piece muzzle brake,,,,,and barnes 225 tsx hand loaded...however have seen .458 with 500 grain .416 with 400 grain down to 7mm 30-06..was there with the 7mm... was sufficiantly pleased...

steven

David Heitsman
01-19-2012, 05:19 PM
My good friend got his bear with me on the Sikanni a few years back. One shot with his 7mm Mag. Couldn't find a bullet hole and then realized somehow he'd shot it in the eye. Hadn't even damaged the eyelids. I was in the next camp a few miles away that morning but would have liked to be there to see it all happen.

phoenix
01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
A friend of mine has taken 3 grizzlies over the years, all with a single shot each from a .270Win so I think a 7mm would do fine. Good shot placement and good bullets are all that is needed.
Kim

Fisher-Dude
01-19-2012, 06:17 PM
It's just a bear. 7MM will kill it dead.

Not sure where this idea that they are so hard to kill originated. Maybe too much Disney when hunters were kids?

srupp
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
It's just a bear. 7MM will kill it dead.

Not sure where this idea that they are so hard to kill originated. Maybe too much Disney when hunters were kids?

I think its a bit of several issues..first time grizzly hunters nerves getting the better of them and then not making a decent shot.. bear fever..I also see and hear a lot of guys chucking lead at bears at incredible distances..REALLY long distances..they are indeed made of flesh and bones with blood that goes round and round and air that goes in and out..stop either or both and its dead...

Grizzlies can abssorb some punishment however that usually means they take a bit longer to live out their last...but not lethal shots with bears chomping granite 15 minutes later...with such large and potentially dangerous characters a minute can seem like an hour....

steven

Moose Guide
01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Years ago my buddy shot a grizz with a .25-06, his older brother backed him up with some big medicine, a .270 win. He shot it twice and it was dead! It is all about shot placement and bullet construction! And yes they were hunting grizzlies!

pappy
01-19-2012, 06:54 PM
If a 7RM is all I had then thats what I would use, I bought a cheap 116 savage on sale in 338WM for the first grizz tag I got, I never got a bear on that tag. I liked the 338 so I sold it and bought a kimber in 338WM. If you can find a cheap gun then bring the 7 mag as a back up rifle. I was hunting solo so I wanted a bigger gun, the wife liked that I had a bigger gun and its a good excuse to buy another gun :)

Gateholio
01-19-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd take a well made, reliable 7RM over a cheap .338 of questionable reliabity, anyday! :)

Mugger
01-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Dont kid yourself, The big guns sound great but most guys dont practice. More important to have wind in your favor a reasonable shooting distance to your ability but most of all the smarts to pass up a shot and wait for better conditions and not be in a rush to go into the scrub looking for that dead bear?

ROEBUCK
01-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Dont kid yourself, The big guns sound great but most guys dont practice. More important to have wind in your favor a reasonable shooting distance to your ability but most of all the smarts to pass up a shot and wait for better conditions and not be in a rush to go into the scrub looking for that dead bear?

Very true !

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2012, 08:47 PM
If you see the grizzly first, at distance, you can safely take it down with even a .270 Win firing a bonded or TTSX bullet,
provided you place it accurately. That's what you might call the preferred scenario. However, if you come across a grizzly
at close range, and it starts charging at you, you're going to curse yourself for a bloody idiot if you don't have at least
a .338 WM in your hands, with premium bonded or TSX ammo. As you're peeing, cycling the bolt, and shooting, you'd
be even happier if you had a .375 H&H or Ruger in your hands. Remember they're a large, tough, and determined predator,
and if they circle around on you and charge, and you have a few seconds, you'd better have balls and a real rifle. :-)

srupp
01-19-2012, 08:48 PM
hmmm yes the new .768 remchucker mangleum cause smore fear than the bear = flinchitis...that being said..

to go out deliberatly after grizzly with a 25-06 or so is just begging for problems....having it work out once is not a recipe to repeat..undergunned and the .270 will kill a grizzly it may not stop a grizzly and THATS what the backup is for..

steven

01-19-2012, 09:28 PM
How about a 308 Win shooting 150 grain Barnes?? LOL, I know not a great choice, but it's my sheep rifle, and I may put in for grizzly LEH where we're going sheep hunting. My first grizz I took with a 325 WSM, which of course worked well, but I shoot my 308 much better, and it's simply the perfect little sheep rifle.

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I'd stick with the .325 wsm and good bullets, in case that grizzly shows up closer than you'd like.

Buck
01-19-2012, 09:39 PM
How about a 308 Win shooting 150 grain Barnes?? LOL, I know not a great choice, but it's my sheep rifle, and I may put in for grizzly LEH where we're going sheep hunting. My first grizz I took with a 325 WSM, which of course worked well, but I shoot my 308 much better, and it's simply the perfect little sheep rifle.

That should kill a Grizz .At 20 yds full charge hope for a brain shot

todbartell
01-19-2012, 09:40 PM

150gr TSX out of a 308 will likely penetrate as deep as a 180gr Nosler Partition from a 300 Win Mag. I'm sure most guys would agree a 300wm with a premium 180 will be sufficient medicine on a grizzer

hunter1993ap
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
i would say a 7mm would break the skin :)

01-19-2012, 09:47 PM
150gr TSX out of a 308 will likely penetrate as deep as a 180gr Nosler Partition from a 300 Win Mag. I'm sure most guys would agree a 300wm with a premium 180 will be sufficient medicine on a grizzer

Kinda what I'm thinking. I've been happy with the performance of the 150 TSX so far. I've had great penetration on two elk, and they have much thicker skin (though less fat) than a grizzly. IF I use my 308, I'll just make sure I'm no more than 150 yards away, and have a broadside or slightly quartering away shot.

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2012, 10:15 PM
My point was that even a .270 is fine on grizzly that's peacefully minding it's own business 100 yards away.
It's the ones you come across that are a lot closer and decide to charge you that make a bigger rifle a better plan.
You may get a dozen grizzlies according to plan at a safe distance, but what if you run into a canny old boar that
circles around and starts stalking you? I'd be wanting the bigger rifle when that happens...

boxhitch
01-19-2012, 10:20 PM
And that can happen during most any hunting scenario in griz country.
So now we have to carry cannons for all species just in case of an ornary griz

Carry what ever makes you happy, and concentrate on the real dangers.............the road traffic on the way to the hunt

Johnny G1
01-19-2012, 10:24 PM
What's with all these new fancy bullet's for bear, what the hell did they use a hunderd yrs ago, all the talk lately is these new fangdangle rounds, havin hunted up to 10 yrs' ago I havent seen any of this new stuff, My cabinet is still full of all those old lead and copper jacket's. Have some Nosler partition in 25 but never got to load any up. Hope I never have to out run that ole bear, lol

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Shot placement of course is always the key and if you have to, of course drill it with a 7mm. Just be sure to hit the Heart, Lungs or spine otherwise you may not find it.

If you have a choice don't use a 7mm for Bear Hunting.. if you are looking for a bear gun upgrade to a 300 mag, 338 or 375 h&h if you are serious about Grizzly Hunting..

Bears are very tough and can survive severe wounds if not hit in the vitals. I understand it may be something to do with their gall bladders and healing qualities that the bile provides.

You want to make a clean kill. The 7mm is fast and small and just does not seem to do the job as well as the bigger magnums.

I am sure the point can be argued and no doubt will be by some.

Use a 7mm to kill game you want to eat (ungulates). Good long range mule deer gun.

I doubt if a 7mm mag was designed to be an efficient Bear Gun.

I would choose my 300 RUM over a 300 WinMag anyday

CanuckShooter
01-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I would choose my 300 RUM over a 300 WinMag anyday

The name sounds better also, I like RUM!!

Wouldn't hesitate to use a 7mm on grizz bears , I pack 338winmag though.

Gateholio
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
And that can happen during most any hunting scenario in griz country.
So now we have to carry cannons for all species just in case of an ornary griz

Carry what ever makes you happy, and concentrate on the real dangers.............the road traffic on the way to the hunt

agreed........

Bchunter3006
01-20-2012, 01:43 AM
So, since you asked if I would use a 7mm for a grizzly, the answer is no. Will it work? Of course. You can kill a grizz with a .22 if the bullet is placed correctly. I, however, don't own a 7mm, so I'll stick with my .338.

vortex hunter
01-20-2012, 02:33 AM
My point was that even a .270 is fine on grizzly that's peacefully minding it's own business 100 yards away.
It's the ones you come across that are a lot closer and decide to charge you that make a bigger rifle a better plan.
You may get a dozen grizzlies according to plan at a safe distance, but what if you run into a canny old boar that
circles around and starts stalking you? I'd be wanting the bigger rifle when that happens...

Already Had that happen I think to years ago Now ... I only had my shotgun 12g with me walkin down a road in Elaho and me and a buddy could hear something on the other side of the bushes . I didnt think anything of it untill what ever it was started to try and go threw the tree's I fire a few shots in the air . I then threw on my slug barrel and we walked to the spir were the truck was parked down BUT BUT we still could hear that sound . So my buddy threw a big rock threw the bush to see what we could flush out ........well a few seconds later out of the corner of my eye was a huge f'n grizz frothing at the mouth and then he wanted to charge me well I unloaded my 00 buck shot and slugs down range near him . well he stoped and stomped his feet and did a nother little charge well I shot three more shots at him about three feet from him ,,,,thank you bear for freaking me out that day......

hunter1947
01-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Yes I would use my 7mm mag for a grizzly bear if I am lucky enough to get the LEH for Griz this spring and I see the boar I want he will be taking my bullet right in the front shoulders ,shot placement is the key on taking down any big game animal ...

hunter1993ap
01-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Yes I would use my 7mm mag for a grizzly bear if I am lucky enough to get the LEH for Griz this spring and I see the boar I want he will be taking my bullet right in the front shoulders ,shot placement is the key on taking down any big game animal ...

i wouldnt think the shoulder would be the best shot on a g-bear with a 7mm. wouldnt you want to be just behind the shoulder? i know i would go for behind the shoulder before a shoulder shot. the reason behind this is because i have heard of people wounding big bears because they shot the shoulders. and not only with a 7mm but a 300.

swampthing
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
I think a seven mag is a cannon. If I didnt own larger calibers my 257 weebee would be my grizz gun and would smash bear shoulders. Its all in the bullet and a bit of speed doesnt hurt. A 270 and up are more sensible. I carried a 270 wsm loaded with 130 gmax bullets on last years bear hunt. I didnt get a shot but fully expected excellent performance.

moosinaround
01-20-2012, 09:13 AM
With a TTSX, or an A-Frame, a shoulder shot would not be a probablem. A 7mm Mag is a .284 cal bullet VS a .308 cal from a 300 win mag, not that much difference. It's a MAGNUM, so it will kill ANYTHING!!! I mean Hell, we got guys grizz hunting with 50rnd clips from a .17HMR hell why not a 7mm Mag??;) Moosin

01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Yes, Make the first one count with a double lunger and try not to let it know where your shootin from ........... also.....

Make sure you can run faster then your partner..

CT

ytlogger
01-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Witnessed G bears killed with .270 win. a couple of times and I know of kills with .223(death by a thousand cuts) but, what if something goes wrong and a trip into the alders becomes necessary? Many places that I hunt the terrain is alpine shintangle to alder jungle to spruce forest in a few hundred meters elevation, maybe a kilometer of travel. I'm liking my .338wm..

walks with deer
01-20-2012, 10:42 AM
I know a ex outfitter from atlin he only ever carried a 308 with a fixed 4 power scope.
I also no in uit men and for them a 223 is gold and 303 are common however these gus aim for behind the ear.

I have seen some pretty large old boars and personally carry my 338 or 458 in gbear country with well constructed bullets.

I would not by choice hunt gbear with a 7mam

Gateholio
01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
i wouldnt think the shoulder would be the best shot on a g-bear with a 7mm. wouldnt you want to be just behind the shoulder? i know i would go for behind the shoulder before a shoulder shot. the reason behind this is because i have heard of people wounding big bears because they shot the shoulders. and not only with a 7mm but a 300.

shoot a grizz in the shoulder with a 7rm and tsx bullets and the bullet will penetrate both shoulders and bang flop the grizz!

trapperRick
01-20-2012, 01:00 PM
I shoot a .35 Whelen, and I would have no worries going for grizzly with it I would use a 200gr to 250 gr bullet, its overlooked, misunderstood and a vastly underrated rifle.

GoatGuy
01-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Funny about the big cal talk. At 5 paces a .338 feels like a pea-shooter and you're always wishing you had something bigger.

This is no different than any other thread - its the shot that counts, not the caliber.

srupp
01-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Funny about the big cal talk. At 5 paces a .338 feels like a pea-shooter and you're always wishing you had something bigger.

This is no different than any other thread - its the shot that counts, not the caliber.

HMMM yes and no....lol one of the benifits of a site like this should also be education..?? no?? yes.. I have learned a lot about sheep from willy 442 BHB, BC rams, about elk from Hunter 1947..etc etc
Is it really helpful to suggest to a rookie grizzly hunter that a ..25-06 or .223 etc should be used for any grizzly except under self defense circumstances??

this isnt the animal to throw tiny pellet of lead and pray for sucess and safety..education is one of the opportunities of sites like this..

I remember when Justin Ott was going on his Bella Coola G bear hunt several years ago and the subject came up to weapons..calibers of choice and make of bullets..suggestions were made conversations were had and some changes were done.

Ask Mr Ott how it feels to be standing facing a 9 foot plus g bear..and IF he would have felt better with a .223..most camps where you are guided wouldnt allow you to even consider such a weapon on bears...

Once you get to 7mm and the likes no....there are preferences and what you are used to... versus going bigger and being gunshy or unfamilliar with the new smoke pole..

Aagin in competent hands familliar with his weapon shooting premium bullets ie 150 gr Barnes TSX etc at reasonable distances with a reliable backup yes the .270 could be used but thats not the first weapon that should be reached for especially by a rookie grizzly hunter...
Unlike other animals g bears sometimes dont run away..sometimes they run at you...

cheers
Srr

fireguy
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM

I agree with you 100% it's the shot that counts and I also like how everyone talks about making the perfect shot at a safe distance and how it will always work out. Having been at less than ten feet from a really grumpy G-bear with an empty gun in hand, I can tell you that it doesn't work out that way every time. Next time I will probably take bigger just in case and probably not need it but I will feel better about it.

bearvalley
01-20-2012, 02:39 PM

I completely agree.There have been a lot of bears wounded with .300 mags, .338's ,.458's and all the other big bore cannons.A lot of guys are too afraid of the recoil to ever shoot straight.A smaller caliber in capable hands is a hell of lot better combination.

vortex hunter
01-20-2012, 02:51 PM
A 7mm to hunt a g-bear I would 100 % take a good boiler room shot with a 7mm ....... sounds like a dead bear to me

ytlogger
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Hmmm, it feels less like a pea shooter than... a pea shooter.

Pioneerman
01-20-2012, 03:11 PM
"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

srupp
01-20-2012, 06:42 PM
hmmm I love that oine well put..

steven

ROEBUCK
01-20-2012, 06:52 PM
hmmm I love that oine well put..

steven

x2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

StoneChaser
01-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Some things can certainly be overcomplicated, but killing a critter need not be!

The 7 Rem Mag with a decent bullet is plenty for grizz...the next one I kill will likely fall to my 7-08 AI and 140gr AB or TSX.

wiggy
01-20-2012, 07:03 PM
"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

To me that means a shotgun with slugs and that sounds like not a lot of fun. However for anything up close and personnel nothing is more dangerous; However at 300 yrds id way rather have that 7mm. Accuracy is still the key and confidence its backbone and that equals practice. I dont think alot of guys shoot the big stuff enough to ring that pie plate at 300 everytime and a wounded bear is a wounded bear weather its with a 7mm or a 458.

vortex hunter
01-20-2012, 08:23 PM
To me that means a shotgun with slugs and that sounds like not a lot of fun. However for anything up close and personnel nothing is more dangerous; However at 300 yrds id way rather have that 7mm. Accuracy is still the key and confidence its backbone and that equals practice. I dont think alot of guys shoot the big stuff enough to ring that pie plate at 300 everytime and a wounded bear is a wounded bear weather its with a 7mm or a 458.

I second that THEY might have a Bigger gun but can the hit the pie plate every timeat 300 to 400 yrds with thier 30 cal's everytime ? I seen alot of people gun shy with there big guns it's kinda funny I guess they need to make up for something lol lol

Dragginbait
01-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I have some 1/2 in. plate that I shot with the 7mag and for firing a .284 bullet they are .500 holes (measured with calipers) that are rolled over front and back. So unless anything walking is wearing 3/4 in. armour I think it's a matter of shot placement and how much your shaking at the time.

250 sav
01-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes if thats your regular rifle and you can hit where you aim.

REMINGTON JIM
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Absolutely would !! - not even think twice - as long as i had a good handload with my all time fav 160-175 gr nosler partition bullet ! Watch the range though - the 7 mm gives up energy a lot faster then a 338 -358-375 with a 225-300 gr bullet . i have shot more game with the 7mm rem mag then all my other cartridges together have- but then i could only afford 1 or 2 rifles - now i have a wider choise of cartridges ! Now i would use a 338 or 375 or if i really wanted to kill him my 45-70 ! Ha ! LOL

ROEBUCK
01-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I wouldnt call a 7mm mag a light recoiling rifle !
if you shoot well with a 7mm mag ,then I would wager you would shoot well with a .338 or .375

vortex hunter
01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
I hear yeah on that one JIM .. I was going to shot my g-bear this year with my 45-70 and a 7mm or 8mm for back up ... If I get my LEH draw

todbartell
01-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I wouldnt call a 7mm mag a light recoiling rifle !
if you shoot well with a 7mm mag ,then I would wager you would shoot well with a .338 or .375

7mm Rem Mag is not necessarily a light recoiling rifle, but it not a hard kicker. An 8lb 7mm shooting 175grainers generates about 30% less recoil than a 338 Win Mag and 40% less than a 375. It's hardly more recoil than a 30-06, which is a benchmark that a majority of shooters can comfortably handle if the rifle fits them and they have a bit of shooting experience with centerfires.

Watch the range though - the 7 mm gives up energy a lot faster then a 338 -358-375

Actually the 7mm does very well at retaining it's initial energy at longer ranges. Example

7mm Rem Mag 160gr Nosler Accubond @ 2950 fps
3090 ft lbs muzzle energy
1650 ft lbs energy @ 500 yards (53% retained)

300 Win Mag 180gr Nosler Accubond @ 2950 fps
3475 ft lbs muzzle energy
1800 ft lbs @ 500 yards (52% retained)

338 Win Mag 225gr Nosler Accubond @ 2800 fps
3916 ft lbs muzzle energy
2115 ft lbs @ 500 yards (54% retained)

35 Whelen 225gr Nosler Accubond @ 2700 fps
3640 ft lbs muzzle energy
1575 ft lbs @ 500 yards (43% retained)

375 H&H 260gr Nosler Accubond @ 2800 fps
4525 ft lbs muzzle energy
2190 ft lbs @ 500 yards (48% retained)

seems like the 7mm retains its "energy" just fine, although I'm not suggesting it (or any other cartridge for that matter) is ideal for poking grizzers at 1/4 mile

ROEBUCK
01-20-2012, 10:08 PM
makes sense tod !
my .375hh is so smooth shooting, you dont feel the recoil !
doesnt feel any differant to my old .300wm
but I imagine the .375 ruger would feel 40% harder with its bottle neck case LOL

todbartell
01-20-2012, 10:35 PM
The only 40% increase is kewl factor ;)

.308win
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
7mm Rem Mag is not necessarily a light recoiling rifle, but it not a hard kicker. An 8lb 7mm shooting 175grainers generates about 30% less recoil than a 338 Win Mag and 40% less than a 375. It's hardly more recoil than a 30-06, which is a benchmark that a majority of shooters can comfortably handle if the rifle fits them and they have a bit of shooting experience with centerfires.

Actually the 7mm does very well at retaining it's initial energy at longer ranges. Example

7mm Rem Mag 160gr Nosler Accubond @ 2950 fps
3090 ft lbs muzzle energy
1650 ft lbs energy @ 500 yards (53% retained)

300 Win Mag 180gr Nosler Accubond @ 2950 fps
3475 ft lbs muzzle energy
1800 ft lbs @ 500 yards (52% retained)

338 Win Mag 225gr Nosler Accubond @ 2800 fps
3916 ft lbs muzzle energy
2115 ft lbs @ 500 yards (54% retained)

35 Whelen 225gr Nosler Accubond @ 2700 fps
3640 ft lbs muzzle energy
1575 ft lbs @ 500 yards (43% retained)

375 H&H 260gr Nosler Accubond @ 2800 fps
4525 ft lbs muzzle energy
2190 ft lbs @ 500 yards (48% retained)

seems like the 7mm retains its "energy" just fine, although I'm not suggesting it (or any other cartridge for that matter) is ideal for poking grizzers at 1/4 mile

I love it when TB steps in with the facts!!..........It'll make you poop ur pants!!!:mrgreen:.......Speak the truth TB!!!......(This is not just because I bought a 7MM Mag from him):icon_frow:mrgreen:.....7 Mag with a good bullet should not be under estimated!!!.....Nor should any other Cal.!!

Perry

porcupine
01-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I talked with Barry Tompkins not too long after he guided the #1 Pope and Young Grizzly. He used a 7MM Rem Mag as the back up rifle, and used it for all his hunting. He felt it was plenty powerful for grizzly. It's always about shot placement.

hunter1947
01-21-2012, 03:13 AM
I myself would like to take along a .338 Mag or a .375HH Mag for a Grizzly hunt but I will not go to the store and put out 2 grand or more to use ether one of these guns for one hunt no thank you my 7MM Mag will get the job done with the proper loads as for the proper shot placement..

elkdom
01-21-2012, 07:35 AM
I myself would like to take along a .338 Mag or a .375HH Mag for a Grizzly hunt but I will not go to the store and put out 2 grand or more to use ether one of these guns for one hunt no thank you my 7MM Mag will get the job done with the proper loads as for the proper shot placement..

a wounded Grizzly is a way,y,y,y, different scenario, than a wounded deer or a wounded elk,,

Grizzlies often do not just crawl off and die before they lay a world of hurt on the perpetrator of PAIN, that shot them in the A$$ !

lookin forward to pics,,,:lol:

Rackmastr
01-21-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm hoping to draw my first grizz tag in the spring of 2013 and currently own a sweet little Model 7 in 7SAUM. I've contemplated whether or not I may look for another rifle for 'heavier work' in the future, and considered the 338-06AI as an option. Obviously a rifle in a 338-06AI would handle some grizz, elk, moose, etc quite well and could be made a bit lighter than a 338WM for recoil considerations, etc.

I'm quite sure that if I didnt own a bigger rifle by the time that I draw, I'll most likely shoot a 150TTSX or maybe a 160gr A-Frame, etc and call it good.

I've seen good sized grizz shot by 30-06, 7mm, etc and handled things well. Premium bullets, shot placement, etc, etc....(as always!)

Camp Cook
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
At issue isthat guy named Murphy he seems to always pop up at the worst possible time and when he does I do not want to be packing a little rifle/cartridge/bullet combo when I have to follow up...

My buddy who is an excellent shot and a extremist hunter that packs in solo or with a buddy for a week to 2 weeks at a time used to take in a 270 Win loaded with premium bullets for everything he had a grizzly tag so when they spotted a nice grizzly at 200 yards up a slide took a rested shot on the bear.

After the shot that bear came down the slide at him and his partner in a full out charge both of them emptied their rifles into the bear and it stopped at their feet.

He now packs a 375RUM when he heads into remote areas.

REMINGTON JIM
01-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Thats all I was was saying - 7mm can get it done BUT 338-358-375 can get it done a lot better ! or for close in a 45-70 with the 525 Beartooth Pile Driver will prob get it done best !

ytlogger
01-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Going for a load of firewood. Should I take the pick-up or the Corolla?

walks with deer
01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Look at the foot lbs of energy thats your power not the speed.
Its like throwing a ping pong ball at your buddy is funny.
A golf ball hurts.
and a bouncing betty will smash him up.

weight and speed combo equals dead.
You get shock with the speed, and penetration and damage with diameter and weight.

7mam for griz I am sure works just fine. a model 70 338 with a 250high energy nosler doesnt kick bad i would rather shoot it than a old model 94 30-30

you can go pick a fight with a griz with the 7mam if you want you should carry a additional gun on your back for close range brush busting the recoshay of a 7 mam hitting even grass will amaze you. Try it.

rem338win
01-21-2012, 11:35 AM
I would go after grizz with a guy packing his well use and understood 7mm over the guy with a shiny new whizzbangnum.
Use a good quality bullet, heavy enough for the task and go kill a bear.
I would be content with a 30-06 and partitions or TSX's in the spout.

But don't take my word for it. Go to 24 hour campfire in the Alaska forum and ask the guys, specifically Phil Shoemaker (458win) the same question. I'll bet I know his answer.

chilko
01-21-2012, 12:14 PM
The choice need not be between a well placed small bore and a badly placed medium. If you are recoil sensitive , sight in your medium with a sand bag between your gun and the shoulder and practice shooting with a small bore or 22. The mechanics are the same and recoil isn't felt in the field. The choice should be between a well placed adequate round and a well placed more suitable round.
I use a 270 Win with 160 NP for deer sized game but for grizzly, and for that matter large black bear ,rutting moose,elk and mtn goat prefer a 338 or other medium.
For whatever reason , their fat or fur probably, bears don't leave the best blood trail so I prefer a quartering shot that takes out the shoulder on its way through the vitals. This shot typically drops the bear which then hops up but only makes about 15 yds , saving me tracking into the nasty stuff.
Finally, I seem to get more of an adrenaline rush when shooting at potentially dangerous game , which means the distance i should ethically take a shot is less than normal. Grizzly hunting should be close and personal.

.330 Dakota
01-21-2012, 12:21 PM
All I will say is "I like my 375".....bang-flop

finngun
01-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Going for a load of firewood. Should I take the pick-up or the Corolla?
i go for corolla http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtKOT5oLK3o:mrgreen: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtKOT5oLK3o)

REMINGTON JIM
01-21-2012, 07:17 PM
All I will say is "I like my 375".....bang-flop

YUP ! You betcha !

cloverphil
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
why do so many guys insist on using smaller calibre guns for bigger game or dangerous game ?

with shot placement being the key, you could be using a 270 or a 308, 303 Brit or even a 30-30 too

do you really want to chance having a grizzly take your arm off because he kept charging after you threw a few 150 grainers his way

go big or go home, that's why they made an 8mm Rem Mag or go get a Weatherby Mag or a RUM or a 375 Ruger ;-)

if you're not sure if 7mm will take a grizzly then use a bigger gun

ps I don't own a 7mm RM, I do own a 8mm RM ( 220 Grainers ) and a 444 Marlin ( 300 grainers ) and I wouldn't hesitate to use either for bear

hunter1993ap
01-22-2012, 12:20 AM
why do so many guys insist on using smaller calibre guns for bigger game or dangerous game ?

with shot placement being the key, you could be using a 270 or a 308, 303 Brit or even a 30-30 too

do you really want to chance having a grizzly take your arm off because he kept charging after you threw a few 150 grainers his way

go big or go home, that's why they made an 8mm Rem Mag or go get a Weatherby Mag or a RUM or a 375 Ruger ;-)

ps I don't own a 7mm RM, I do own a 8mm RM ( 220 Grainers ) and a 444 Marlin ( 300 grainers ) and I wouldn't hesitate to use either for bear

why do so many guys use such big cannons for game that probably would rip an elephant off its feet? threads like these piss me off to no end. experience and getting comfortable with your firearm is all thats needed. if your confident with your firearm you could be lethal with it but if your not.then good luck because no rifle is going to help you if you dont have the experience behind the trigger. i would hunt a griz with my 7mm because i know how this rifle preforms and i am confident with it.

Camp Cook
01-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Well said... but given the choice I would take a bigger gun/cartridge = I do get to choose so my 300RUM/375RUM/45-70 are the rifle/cartridges I carry.

Most of you probably remember this story about 10 - 15 or so years ago a fellow from the Fraser Valley was charged by a grizzly while he was out hunting in northern BC his shots did not stop it and he was mauled.

While in the hospital he was asked by a reporter if he was going to stop hunting his response was no but I am going to get a bigger gun...

Nuff said...

Pioneerman
01-22-2012, 08:38 AM
why do so many guys use such big cannons for game that probably would rip an elephant off its feet? threads like these piss me off to no end. experience and getting comfortable with your firearm is all thats needed. if your confident with your firearm you could be lethal with it but if your not.then good luck because no rifle is going to help you if you dont have the experience behind the trigger. i would hunt a griz with my 7mm because i know how this rifle preforms and i am confident with it.

No reason to be pissed because most of us have a different opinion and believe when it comes to dangerous game, bigger is better when all conditions are not perfect. Yes just about any gun will do the job in the right conditions, great rest, broadside shot, animal not knowing where you are is best, lots of practice with any rifle is a must. Sure you can shoot right into the eye socket with a 22-250 and drop most if not all animals. When a bear is charging you that shot does not happen, simply be prepared. Do you want to be in the paper for making that once in a lifetime shot or missing slightly and be in the paper for the guy who went under gunned ending up hurt or dead ? What ever gun you take you should always be proficient at the range and in the field as that is most important. But taking the most gun "you " are capable of shooting is always best too. Don't take a knife to a gun fight. :-)

.330 Dakota
01-22-2012, 09:19 AM

That being "well said" brings me to the question...Why do you think that some countries in Africa only allow a 375 as a minimum caliber for dangerous game? Maybe because it's just a good idea...

01-22-2012, 12:21 PM
The chances of getting charged by a grizzly are slim, even when hunting them. If I was on a dedicated grizzly hunt, I would certainly use my 325 WSM, however, most of the time I pack my 308 Win, simply because I shoot it better, and it's a nicer rifle. If I find myself so afraid of a grizzly attack that I need to carry a shoulder-crushing magnum for the "just in case" scenario, I'll probably just stick to fishing.

Hell, most of the time I'm carrying my bow, with a can of bear spray attached to my pack. It's all calculated risk.

If there is no risk, then it isn't real.

01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Another thing. How many of the "need a big magnum in case the grizzly charges" proponents also contribute to other threads on handguns in bear country, wishing they could carry a sidearm in case of a grizzly attack. Really, a 308, 30-06, 7mm mag all eclipse handguns for deterring bears at a charge, if for no other reason than they are much easier to shoot well.

Camp Cook
01-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I do but then again I did carry sidearms for the defense of my life and the lives of others for 7 years I only let it expire 2 1/2 years ago and guess what that permit was issued to me when there was still a lieberal federal government if this group of anti's felt that I had the right to carry a handgun to defend my life from wild animmal attack there must be enough data to support it...

rcar
01-26-2012, 11:12 AM
I have been contemplating the same question. I love the way my T3 feels but was concerned it may be a bit light for a grizz hunt. I also have a 300RUM but it is very heavy and after a long day of hiking it feels like I am carrying a small tree. My thoughts are after 5 hours in the bush will the added weight of the 300RUM be an issue with accuracy because I am tired....

My conclusion after reading this thread is to go with my 7mm mag and have my buddy carry the 300rum for back-up and vice versa if he draws the tag.

rem338win
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Holy...........crap.

DawgGone
01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I have seen programs from "Best of the West" on WildTV in which they take Grizzlies. Almost if not all at extended ranges. (ie. 650 yards) The caliber used on "The Best of the West" is 7mm Mag using Berger bullets (168gr VLD)
Grizzlies are not hard to kill. Shot placement of course is key. Bigger calibers do not make up for poor shot placement.

srupp
01-27-2012, 09:06 AM
hmmmm 650 yards on grizzlies yes I saw that and it was way over the line past stoopid....assinine..wonders what they didnt show...IMO not a good move...grrrrrrrrr..idiots..

steven

Fishhound
01-27-2012, 09:21 AM
I watched that episode and I too wondered about the logic behind long range shooting at a grizzly, I own 7mm mag and I believe at 650 yds it would be about 6ft low with about 1300ft-lb of energy, hardly a power house at that range

FirePower
01-27-2012, 09:41 AM
hmmmm 650 yards on grizzlies yes I saw that and it was way over the line past stoopid....assinine..wonders what they didnt show...IMO not a good move...grrrrrrrrr..idiots..

steven

You are being kind with your words. IMO...As to wether I personaly would use a 7 on G-bears the answer is yes I would and I have. I was not hunting the big bear at the time but the oportunity presented its self, the bear was an excellent specimen and the conditions were right. I will say the results were final and desisive. However would I go on a dedicated hunt for the big bears with a 7mm the answer would be a resounding no. Personaly I would want my 340 perhaps even my 416 why go under gunned when better options are available? In my mind on a dedicated hunt for G-bears the minimum should be some type of a 300 mag although I know a smaller calibre can be quite effective with the right load and conditions.

srupp
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I watched 2 episodes from different programs...the long range shooting was by idiots trying to sell their products...I have been RIGHTFULLY accused of being opinionated..yes yes I am..and 65o yrads on Grizzly is irresponsible.dangerous and inhumane...

On the oposite side of the coin was the couple from Alberta and they posted about her grizzly shot at 8 yards or so..I saw that episode..and it was a cranker of a bear...impressive..and NORMALLY I would be making coments on too close...and while it was too close they did everything correct..100 % just caught in a bad situation where the bear covered more ground than was anticipated.. both hunters are competent shooters using impressive firearms...no one panicked, the shot was exellent and deliberate and the camera was even dropped to ensure backup..not recomended as normal procedure but extremelly well handled when poop hit the fan..enjoyed the professionalism..and GREAT BEAR..

There is a happy medium..not too close not too far...just like Goldilocks just right..
Steven

GoatGuy
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM

steven

Funny, met a hunter out grizz hunting quite a few years ago now that shot a g bear across a big river, in serious wind, at 550 yards. Luckily the bear died within view, but I can guarantee if it made it to the alders that guy wouldn't have even gone and looked for it he was so scared. He was completely terrified just walking up to it an hour after it had died.

If all else fails, apply common sense.

DawgGone
01-27-2012, 09:09 PM

steven
The point I was trying make was that a 7mm "is" adequate for Grizzly and that shoot placement is the key. As far as the Best of the West shows are concerned..........well......... that is for another thread.