PDA

View Full Version : Guess I shoulda bought a moose tag...lol

Bigbuckadams
10-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Well, for starters, I should say I have never tried for moose as of yet. My regular hunting partner has been wanting me to go out looking for an immature bull for a few years now, but we have never found the time to do it, thus, never bothered with a tag. In the area I hunt in, I have only seen a cow moose once in about 10 years. So, I took my friend from Vanc. out for deer on Sunday ( he was looking for his first deer ) with Whitetail tag in tow and of course, all we saw was a spike, not big enough. About 9:30, we decided to go up to a lookout and have some lunch, en route what decided to stand in front of us, a nice looking 2X3 bull moose. The dumb thing just sat there and stared at us for about 5 minutes, so I guess I'll go get a tag now and more than likely never see him again:cry: . It was a great sight to see, but would have been a better sight to see him in a meat locker :lol: .

chola
10-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Yep....thats the way she goes somedays....I usually never buy a mulie tag.
Last year I was out with out one....walked through a small patch of immature pine to get to an old clearing and guess what,jumped a huge 6 point mulie who was bedded down,.The damn thing got up and meandered off about 25 yards away and started eating,not a care in the world....sure was nice to see...definate wall hanger.
I nabbed tag ASAP after that,only to never see him again.....LOL

mark
10-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Never buy a MULIE tag????????????? What the heck do you hunt for????

chola
10-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Never buy a MULIE tag????????????? What the heck do you hunt for????

Elk and whitetail...the occasional bear if opportunity arises...never was a big Mulie fan,dunno why

Steeleco
10-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Great story, I think I'm gonna stop buying all my tags, maybe then I'll see animals. :lol::lol:

NOT!!!!

longhairmtnman
10-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Never hunted Moose! Have you eaten it before? IT IS THE BEST! I've got the full pull on tags so If my Shitty-luck holds, I'll not see any of them!

PGKris
10-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Ya I did that this year. Didn't buy an elk tag....because I wanted to see an elk....closest I got was hearing some cows off in the timber...lol....I was waiting for the 6x6 to walk out in front of me. Stupid elk.

Bigbuckadams
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes, I have eaten moose meat and it is deelish! However, work and other obligations just have not allowed me to do much traveling for hunting. I am hoping to be able to get out for Elk and Moose in the next couple of years. I always put in for local LEH, but I think that is another thread:mad: . Anyway, my buddy went up today and saw probably the same moose, but couldn't ID any antlers due to thick cover, then he took off. So I now have a question, are they still rutting or is it over ( Kelowna area )?? We can't get out again until Friday, so is it still worthwhile to try a cow call & maybe some scents? Sorry for the dumbass question, but as mentioned, no moose hunting experience at all :cry: . Thanks all !

3kills
10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
yes moose are still in the rut....but u probably wont be able to call in a lil bull but it may be worth the try...just put in a lot of effort around the area u have seen him and u might see him again....

WoodOx
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Gotta buy all the tags. Not having tags in an area where there are an abundance of different species is kinda like going hunting, and taking a hike once in a while without your gun ;-)

I like mulie hunting more than anything - a few guys here on this forum can vouch for that!