PDA

View Full Version : Going all natural

Dragginbait
01-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I've decided to help fight this little cancer issue by going all natural and staying away from all of the hormone infested over the counter drug induced store bought meats. the fruits and veggies don't seem to be much better either, with all the chemicals they through at them now.
It's funny because if you told me 2 months ago that you would pay me, to completely change everything I would have told you to poke it, but now it's literally a matter of live or die so I think change is in order.
I guess being forced to retire at 48 and spend your time trout and salmon fishing along with more hunting and chasing crabs and prawns would be discouraging for some but I'm gonna make the best of it and really give it a good try. It's gonna force me to become a better cook and spend more time searching out recipes like the bread crumb and shredded swiss chess cover trout we had last night.
It's going to a battle , so wish me luck and I'll let you know how much my PSA test was lowered from "50" with this new diet and the hormone treatment, in 3 months.:)

Monashee
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
You may be aware of the value of sprouts , broccoli sprouts are thought to be very good for providing your body with compounds useful to fighting various cancers . I would also eat a variety of sprouts such as sunflower and radish all of which you can sprout yourself with a sprouting tray like this http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/sproutsand/biosta3tier

You may want to go for a raw foot diet to give your body the best chance and of course avoid all processed foods , sugar , alchohol , wheat products , all red meat , all dairy . Some fish is ok . You can still eat very well .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broccoli_sprouts

RJ
01-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Have a look at the Ketogenic diet. I've done it to lean out a few times, and there's some studies showing it to be a cancer fighter.
Its basically high fat, medium protein and very low carb.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17313687

nature girl
01-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Good luck and way to go for eating healthier. And its your body you do what you want with it, and dont let anyone tell you what you can and cant do.

Bow Walker
01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Good for you Terry. As someone said in a movie "Change is good" Looking forward to seeing that number waaay down in April.

01-19-2012, 02:14 PM
allrecipies.com

This place is great for recipies,,,,
When you get some crab or prawns,,,, or salmon or grouse..... Try making a home made Alfredo from Scratch. It is super easy, just be sure to add some Tarragon and mushrooms to the recipie!

Or salmon Cakes, or crab cakes. Or Grouse Quesadilla's mmmmmmm im hungry

01-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Crab salad sandwitches,,,,,
Crab stuffed mushrooms,,,,,,,,

igojuone
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm assuming being that your talking PSA score it's prostate cancer your fighting. I've been in the same fight since being diagnosed in Oct 2010. I choose to let the doctors use 3 treatments, hormone suppression therapy, external radiation and brachytherapy. Happy to say all is good at this time but more to learn as my testosterone levels climb back to normal levels.
Don't let anyone fill your head with crap, for me personally the cancer has been nothing more then an inconvenience. Everything still works and will only get better as the radiation and hormone therapy levels decrease.

Keep the positive attitude, good living.

VIRuger
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
If you're interested in supplementing your game meat with some locally raised no hormone, or antibiotic meat there are a couple of suppliers near you. Not sure if I can post them up without being sponsors of the site but if you pm me I can give them to you. There are 2 guys I deal with that supply beef, chicken, lamb and pork. Its pretty reasonably priced if you buy in bulk.

As a side note I have been trying to have 90% of my meals consist of meat from these suppliers or game that I have hunted or fished for. I've been doing this for about 4 months and have never felt better or fitter. I don't know if there is a direct correlation but I've barely had a sniffle this cold and flu season.

The Dude
01-19-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm sure you know this but red raw tomatoes, blueberries, Acai berries and GOJI berries are reportedly all good for you, high in anti-oxidants, etc.
Carrots are as well, esp if shredded and left in the fridge for a day or two in a container. They develop more with time if they are shredded.
Another thing I used to use for my blood is Astragalus root. You can find it in Chinese Herbalist shops. You basically make a tea or tincture out of it. I used to keep two things on hand to fight colds: A bottle of Shoju with Goji berries in it, and a pot of Astragalus "Iced Tea" (add a little lemon and honey, it tastes like boot water). As long as I had some of that in me, I never got sick.
Best of luck to you, enjoy the fishing. I also have friends in the Ranching business if you need organic grass fed beef. They're in the North Thompson tho.

Sasquatch
01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Good luck with your new diet and the fight ahead of you. I look forward to hearing about a plummeting PSA count in a few months.

91Jason91
01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
thats good of you to eat healthier, I am in workout mode right now so Im staying away from all the bad stuff also hahaha

pescado
01-19-2012, 11:18 PM
Good luck Draggin. I had a tumor removed 15 years ago. Your body responds well to proper diet, exercise, sleep and managing your stress levels. Looking forward to seeing those test scores lowered.

avadad
01-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Good luck on the lifestyle changes. You may want to consider having a food sensitivity test done by a Naturopathic Physician so you can really focus on what foods work and stay away from those that don't. It can make a huge difference in your treatment process. I know of a good one in Victoria if you want the info send me a pm and again best of luck to you!

Dragginbait
01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm getting lots of good info and we've decided to rebuild the old chicken coupe in the back yard and we're going to plant a veggie garden in the spring. We've only been buying organic veggies lately and find them to even taste better (who'da thunk it). The Bradley smoker is coming out of hibernation and is going to be used quite abit. One thing for sure is that the cooking skills are going to be raised and the better food in the house could be a way of help my 4 year old son with his autism by getting him away from some of the processed foods that he eats now.

01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm getting lots of good info and we've decided to rebuild the old chicken coupe in the back yard and we're going to plant a veggie garden in the spring. We've only been buying organic veggies lately and find them to even taste better (who'da thunk it). The Bradley smoker is coming out of hibernation and is going to be used quite abit. One thing for sure is that the cooking skills are going to be raised and the better food in the house could be a way of help my 4 year old son with his autism by getting him away from some of the processed foods that he eats now.

Honestly, I really enjoy cooking with as natural ingredients as i can. Even down to making my own sauces. When you have a good source of Protein to start with and your off! You can got to Veggi markets for cheap produce ,,, that you cant grow. Just spend some good money on some good spices.