PDA

View Full Version : African Residency

Mulehahn
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Since I am always amazed at the knowledge people have on this webiste, I hope someone can help me with this. I am going to be done school late this year, and allowing for a couple of years to complete my licencing which has to be done internationally any way, am considering taking a position in Africa in the future. I am wondering if African countries have the same laws regarding residency as BC and Canada (ie: bc resident can hunt in season alone, Canadian can hunt with a BC resident, and non-canadian must use a guide) and the costs go up in relation. Does anyone no of the residency requirments for a country like Botswana or Zambia? I know from people that work security in the region that it can fairly easy to get permission from a farmer to take plains game at alot lower cost than a safari. You just pay a higher licence fee. But they only spend about three months at a time there. If I took a one year contract would I be able to obtain residency status and hunt when I want, and at a lower cost. I unsderstand that this only apply's to plains game, and that the more controlled animals (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, etc) are alloted by a system similar to those granted to GOs in BC to maximize revenue. But it would be fun to go and take an impala after work, or chase zebra on the weekend. Thanks

91Jason91
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
if you do go there and hunt alot you gotta upload the pics on HBC

ROEBUCK
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
you will have to hunt on private land !
I dont think theres crown land as we know it !

bandit
01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Not sure about Botswana and Zambia but when I used to hunt in South Africa on private ranches the license fee was very low for non residents. Pretty much negligible compared to access / trophy fees, gas etc etc.

Spy
01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Since I am always amazed at the knowledge people have on this webiste, I hope someone can help me with this. I am going to be done school late this year, and allowing for a couple of years to complete my licencing which has to be done internationally any way, am considering taking a position in Africa in the future. I am wondering if African countries have the same laws regarding residency as BC and Canada (ie: bc resident can hunt in season alone, Canadian can hunt with a BC resident, and non-canadian must use a guide) and the costs go up in relation. Does anyone no of the residency requirments for a country like Botswana or Zambia? I know from people that work security in the region that it can fairly easy to get permission from a farmer to take plains game at alot lower cost than a safari. You just pay a higher licence fee. But they only spend about three months at a time there. If I took a one year contract would I be able to obtain residency status and hunt when I want, and at a lower cost. I unsderstand that this only apply's to plains game, and that the more controlled animals (lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo, etc) are alloted by a system similar to those granted to GOs in BC to maximize revenue. But it would be fun to go and take an impala after work, or chase zebra on the weekend. Thanks

Take your rifle(check gun laws in the country you want to visit/Work)If you want to shoot an Impala for instance,you have to buy a impala license + a hunting license,get permission from said farmer & pay him for game shot!There is no such thing as a residency status as in Canada!If I was you I would join a shooting club in the country you will be staying in & you will most probably make some good freinds & be invited to hunt with them!Good luck!

IronNoggin
01-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Unless things have changed dramatically since I was over last, Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe do NOT issue "licenses" for big game. At least for plains game they didn't. Nor did they issue a "Hunting License" of any kind.

I hunted with a handful of Locals. I was treated no differently than they were. They knew a lot of farmers and ranchers, and it those Folks we paid for the animals taken. Very affordable which somewhat surprised me given the charge out rates for most advertised "Safaris".

You will have a BLAST! Make sure you post some pictures and tales of the "Joy" you encounter!!

Cheers,
Nog

ROEBUCK
01-20-2012, 05:08 PM
just be careful living in africa, it can be dangerous ! crime can be bad !
get cabs after dark ! dont flash money around !
Have a great time and stay safe !
I spent 4 and a half months out there ! fantastic time !

wiggy
01-20-2012, 06:03 PM
just be careful living in africa, it can be dangerous ! crime can be bad !
get cabs after dark ! dont flash money around !
Have a great time and stay safe !
I spent 4 and a half months out there ! fantastic time !
Listen to Roebuck; backpacked through some it a long time ago. DO NOT GET CAUGHT OUT AND ABOUT BY YOURSELF. Lots of unfriendlies and can not only be dangerous deadly. Lots and i mean lots of people there that dont like the the white guy stranger. Thats why people go on tours ie safari or photo. Awesome continent and yes i will be going back. Wonderful place to begin as a PH if your interested. Lots of ranches and outifitters that will steer you in the right direction if your into it.