PDA

View Full Version : sping bear or turkey hunting

sarg
01-17-2012, 09:29 PM
there all this off topic stuff going on now, so i figure it get one going about spring bear or turkey hunting,

is any one going to hold out of a trophy this year? i'm going out with a buddy who is just going to started hunting this year, i have told him he gets first crack at any bear we see unless it is a color phase bear then it mine, my son is really trying to get me to take him out turkey hunting this year but i'm not sure if i will, its a far drive for a bird i have no clue on hunting them, but if anyone wants to help out a young hunter(10) out to get his first bird don't be shy to pm me some tips,
sarg
ps only 2.5 month till spring hunting:-D

Spy
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Nobody use spell check anymore!

sarg
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Nobody use spell check anymore!
nope it's over rated,

TheProvider
01-17-2012, 09:45 PM
2 mature boars over 325lbs/6' with bow on film

huntwriter
01-17-2012, 10:10 PM
I plan on going turkey hunting this spring. Provided my right arm is fully functional again. As of this writing the jury is still out on this one. I bookmarked you so if I can go I'll send you a PM.

91Jason91
01-18-2012, 02:14 AM
nope it's over rated,

def over rated big time

bcbrez
01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
If you head over to the WKs at all i could point yoou in the direction of some birds.

01-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Spring Bear, due to my location. Turkey is out of the question.
And yep i am holding out for a big one, like always. Bear hunting for me is about the hunting and not the shooting. I have a minds eye picture of what i want.

boxhitch
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Hoping for a bear that makes a bait barrel look small

CanuckShooter
01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I am set on quantity this year and plan on taking at least six bears, i have lots of buddies so it shouldnt be all that tuff, so long as the meat is cooked well done it should provide a good source of protein for my canines!!

sarg
01-18-2012, 06:41 PM
I am set on quantity this year and plan on taking at least six bears, i have lots of buddies so it shouldnt be all that tuff, so long as the meat is cooked well done it should provide a good source of protein for my canines!!
i'm not sure about wasting good bear meat on dog, but each to there own right, good luck
sarg

nature girl
01-18-2012, 07:38 PM
Spring bear hunting I cant wait. I can just picture my favorite spot. AAAAhhh. I dont go their till about mid may.
I seen a big bear this past fall and hopefully, Ill see him this spring to.
And, no I dont do turkey hunting.

Caveman
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Hoping to poke a nice boar with a pointy stick as well as find a nice tom!

pnbrock
01-18-2012, 07:53 PM
canuck arent bears reincarnated indians?

jtred
01-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Turkey hunting is definitely becoming one of my passions. Love everything about it, the early mornings, locating a tom or jake(I'm not picky if it's got a beard and comes within range I will take it), the calling. It really gets the adrenaline flowing when you see one coming into your setup, easily just as much a thrill as big game hunting. But especially the turkey dinner, the meat from a young tom is one of my favourite game meats. I'll most likely head out with a buddy on his quest for a big bruin just for the hike and to give him a hand in case he is successful. Every now and then I consider getting a bear license and giving it a go but the meat doesn't really do anything for me and I'm not into trophies so a rug or mount don't interest me.

NaStY
01-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Turkey hunting is definitely becoming one of my passions. Love everything about it, the early mornings, locating a tom or jake(I'm not picky if it's got a beard and comes within range I will take it), the calling. It really gets the adrenaline flowing when you see one coming into your setup, easily just as much a thrill as big game hunting. But especially the turkey dinner, the meat from a young tom is one of my favourite game meats. I'll most likely head out with a buddy on his quest for a big bruin just for the hike and to give him a hand in case he is successful. Every now and then I consider getting a bear license and giving it a go but the meat doesn't really do anything for me and I'm not into trophies so a rug or mount don't interest me.

Bear make great peperoni and breakfast sausage. Spring bear taste better then fall IMHO as it has less fat on them.

Rainsford
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Spring bear for sure, wouldn't say I will be holding out for a trophy but I don't a runt either... any decent size bear will do!

CanuckShooter
01-18-2012, 08:56 PM
canuck arent bears reincarnated indians?

Your thinking baby killer whales....:-)

CanuckShooter
01-18-2012, 08:59 PM
i'm not sure about wasting good bear meat on dog, but each to there own right, good luck
sarg

Sarg it's not a waste it's good for them and I don't have to feed them so much commercial dog food with questionable ingredients. Not long ago there was a thread about dogs shedding heavily from something in the dog food....think of it as feeding your pets organic!

sarg
01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Sarg it's not a waste it's good for them and I don't have to feed them so much commercial dog food with questionable ingredients.
true enough," waste" as in thats good sausage meat to be giving to the dogs,

Good Old Outdoors
01-19-2012, 09:11 AM
i havent hunted bear yet, i started a thread a while back but forgot to ask the most basic question....... How many can you down before you tag out?

sarg
01-19-2012, 09:23 AM
i havent hunted bear yet, i started a thread a while back but forgot to ask the most basic question....... How many can you down before you tag out?
your aloud 2 a year, i try for one in the spring and one in the fall.

Good Old Outdoors
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
sounds good thanks, i would have just looked at my hunting regs but im kinda half way around the world at the moment, thanks for the info

SHAKER
01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Yep.

I won't miss Turkey hunt'n for anything and spring bears just a given, It will happen, just never know where till after the LEH is done.

NaStY
01-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Bear or beer ??????? :mrgreen:

sarg
01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Bear or beer ??????? :mrgreen:
lol ,Bears -2
Beer - as much as u can handle.:)

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
You have to get out to Grand Forks at least, if you want to have good populations of turkey.
Get one of those stick on the circle (slate calls) that have a push button gobbler built in.
I got mine from Cabelas, the push button is great because you can use it one handed when
you see a turkey, and you're less likely to be seen. The other thing that would give you the
edge is if you pick up a .22 mag rimfire rifle, so you just need to get Tom to come within 125 yards.
A lot of birds stall and don't come into that 40 yard range of a full choke 12 gauge...

thumper1
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
I've got a date with a big Tom that gave me the slip last year. I saw him again just last month - we locked eyes for a bit, and he knows I'll be gunning for him!

sarg
01-19-2012, 09:57 PM
You have to get out to Grand Forks at least, if you want to have good populations of turkey.
Get one of those stick on the circle (slate calls) that have a push button gobbler built in.
I got mine from Cabelas, the push button is great because you can use it one handed when
you see a turkey, and you're less likely to be seen. The other thing that would give you the
edge is if you pick up a .22 mag rimfire rifle, so you just need to get Tom to come within 125 yards.
A lot of birds stall and don't come into that 40 yard range of a full choke 12 gauge...
well thats good to know thanks, i can get my hand on a .22 mag, my dad has a .22mag/410 over under me son could use,
sarg

Singleshotneeded
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM
My son and I use a .17HMR with the heavier 20 grain bullets, and we've nailed two turkeys with it so far.
I'm positive some guys are going to say that using a rifle on turkeys at long range isn't sportsmanlike, but
I don't want to drive from Kelowna to the Kootenays and get skunked! At least I call the buggers in like
you're supposed to...lol. With the .22 mag rimfire use the lightest, flattest shooting bullet you can find, and
go to the range and make sure you can shoot 3 inch groups or smaller at 100 yards. Have fun!