PDA

View Full Version : what is everyones opinion on the best bow to buy out of the 2012 line up?

backcountrybowhunter
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
trying to make a big decision on a new bow again this year, hunted with a pse vendetta last year and bowtech the year before, leaning towards trying out the hoyt and mathews bows. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

TheProvider
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Have you shot a mathews or hoyt before? Bow companies arent making it easy for the consumer on which brand and model to purchase. ALot comes down to the feel of the bow as most bows are now fast, quiet and deadly accurate. Go shoot the 2012 hoyt and mathews and take you pick.

I'm itching to try out a pse revenge as I love short bows mostly because I'm all spot and stalk and the areas I'm in for blacktails, is steep and thick making short axle to axle bows a dream, most shot opportunities are under 30yrds. A lot of ppl dont like pse grips.

Bow Walker
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM
You're going to get as many differing opinions as you get posters on this subject. Very personal thing.

"Personally" I'm partial to Diamond/Bowtec, Hoyt, APA, and Elite/Strother bows.

Dislikes? Alpine, Limbsaver, and Bladerunner bows.

thetackdriver
01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Im a big fan of the elite! check em out. best bet is to probably just go try a few a go with what feels best to you though.

Superdeuce
01-17-2012, 08:46 PM
For 2012, Elite Answer or Hoyt Carbon Matrix (or Element if u want short ata) in my opinion... but you can nearly buy 2 Elites for the price of one carbon... which is why my Elite Pure is now posted in the classifieds. I had too may rum and egg nogs one night over the holidays and ordered a new 2012 Matrix... figured if I ordered in the same color maybe the wife won't notice the switch!

TheProvider
01-17-2012, 08:48 PM
For 2012, Elite Answer or Hoyt Carbon Matrix in my opinion... but you can nearly buy 2 Elites for the price of one carbon... which is why my Elite Pure is now posted in the classifieds. I had too may rum and egg nogs one night over the holidays and ordered a new 2012 Matrix... figured if I ordered in the same color maybe the wife won't notice the switch!

haha thats awesome... I dont think you'll be disappointed in the carbon matrix. Let us know if its worth double the price

000buck
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
apa line up is awesome.......

TheProvider
01-17-2012, 08:55 PM
I wouldnt hesitate to shoot an APA

afflicted 1
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM
hoyt vector 32, i would choose the insanity but cant seem to convince myself that limbs under that kind of stress are going to last long enough to fully enjoy the small fortune paid. ive also heard rumors the aluminum blocks where the limbs pivot make horrible noises in the cold when i usually hunt. the hoyt should last years and is more than fast enough for this guy

TheProvider
01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
hoyt vector 32, i would choose the insanity but cant seem to convince myself that limbs under that kind of stress are going to last long enough to fully enjoy the small fortune paid. ive also heard rumors the aluminum blocks where the limbs pivot make horrible noises in the cold when i usually hunt. the hoyt should last years and is more than fast enough for this guy

the vector with an ibo of 330fps... thats screaming fast compared to a few yrs ago. I remember when I first saw a bow with and IBO over 300fps.

The Hermit
01-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Take a close look at the Limbsaver Proton in the 2012 lineup... pretty sweet bow! Excellent pricing too. Its another one of those high quality plus excellent value for money thing that benefits those that look beyond the big brand names. Limbsaver has only been in the bow market for a few years but have already come up with some innovations that make them an excellent choice. Every part and piece of the Limbsaver bows are manufactured and assembled in Washington State and the warranty is industry standard. I'll be at the Chilliwack Huntfest show with a couple for people to try!

Bchunter3006
01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Go with what feels the best, but I'd definitely check out the new Bowtech Insanity. For me it'd be the CPXL because of the longer ata, but my '09 Captain is gonna stay with me for a long time.

Bow Walker
01-18-2012, 12:01 PM
If I were in your shoes (pheeww! when was the last time you changed your socks?!?) I'd definitely take a hard look at the APA lineup. Canadian made, well established company, great customer service from all reports, and great bows.

backcountrybowhunter
01-18-2012, 02:59 PM
thanks for all the opinions definetly alot of different options out there and just wanted to hear everyones two cents, i have owned two pse bows, a bowtech, a browning( when i was young), diamond, though i have heard many good things about hoyt and mathews bows from people i work with and hunt with so im definetly just gonna take a weekend and go to different shops and try out as many bows as possible. Thanks for your opinions

Ruger4
01-18-2012, 03:05 PM
trying to make a big decision on a new bow again this year, hunted with a pse vendetta last year and bowtech the year before, leaning towards trying out the hoyt and mathews bows. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

If you liked the Vendetta you'll love the new Evo , own both and like them very much , but I like the Supra and the Omen too !! yup to many bows..............

backcountrybowhunter
01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
loved the vendetta just didnt like how the string stop rested on my forearm, other than that great shooting bow took a muledeer at 63 yards, and won the only 3D shoot i entered in this year.

Bow Walker
01-19-2012, 01:25 PM
You mentioned Diamond bows - In 2006 I got a brand new Diamond Liberty - ordered it from BHSS in Pennsylvania - shipped right to my door it was still $200 less than what Island Outlaws wanted for it.

I've hunted every year since with that bow - 3D shoots as well. I love that thing. It's the best single-cam bow I've ever owned. Taken 5 or 6 deer with it. Still use it as my main hunting rig.

Eagle1
01-21-2012, 12:33 AM
You mentioned Diamond bows - In 2006 I got a brand new Diamond Liberty - ordered it from BHSS in Pennsylvania - shipped right to my door it was still $200 less than what Island Outlaws wanted for it.

I've hunted every year since with that bow - 3D shoots as well. I love that thing. It's the best single-cam bow I've ever owned. Taken 5 or 6 deer with it. Still use it as my main hunting rig.

YOU SHOOT A BOW, I thought I was having a nightmare, J/K

Shoot as many of the new bows you can , side by side to compare. Most are parallel limbs, so no vibration, very little noise, most mid to high end are smooth to draw and hold, I personally like the small PSE grip, very little to no torque, 99% are 300+ fps. The one that feels the best and shoots for you is the bow for you. ford, chevy, dodge,hyndia, vw. it's what YOU feel good with.

Bowzone_Mikey
01-21-2012, 11:28 AM
any of the Elite line is what I would buy .... the Answer is an awesome bow ... shorter Ata ... great draw cycle and brace height ... great speed that is very controlable ....

thats what I want ... but might get another Pure

Bow Walker
01-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Wants vs Needs - never been able to justify one and can't afford the other! :)

Slugman
01-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Got to shoot alot of the new 2012 bows down at the ATA Show begining of the month and there were a number of stand out bows. The new Darton 3900 was impressive - smoking fast 350+, smooth and very shooter friendly dispite the 6" brace height. Elite Answer was also up there, the only laugable thing being is the difference between their smooth and speed mods - go fo the extra 10fps for 340ish - smooth is smooth people! The suprize of the show Winchesters flag ship Lighting - was there even a peak or valley to this draw cycle???!!! Exceptionally smooth with a very interesting stainless turn buckle adjustment for poundage. Still after shooting the 20+ bows in three days of the show kept coming back to the Limbsaver Proton - again very smooth drawing, light, rock steady at full draw and dead in the hand on the shot. Honestly all these bows where so close but a combination of looks and just plain shootability kept me coming back to the Proton. As been said many a time when it comes to selecting your shooting rig - shoot, shoot and shoot some more - one will 'talk' to you eventually, keep you coming back! Preference thing for sure! Biggest dissapointment Bear Anarchy - I was expecting great things from this bow but the draw cycle felt heavy at 60lb!

91Jason91
01-31-2012, 03:10 AM
one that kills animals lol
Im just kidding I have no clue I only Have a PSE Stinger bow for starting off and messing around with hahaa

tundra
01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Hoyt Carbon Element with the RKT Cams. Three more weeks until mine is here.

Bow Walker
01-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Hoyt Carbon Element with the RKT Cams. Three more weeks until mine is here.
Nice - but who's got that kind of moola to spend.......besides you, that is?

TheProvider
01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Very tempted at buying a new hoyt this year, although I'd love a carbon element, the vector 32 has the exact same specs excepts its 4oz heavier an maybe not a quiet. But for $550-$650 less its a no brainer. If you pay attention at what accesories you equip it with you can easily make up those 4oz

tundra
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
The nice part about the element is you don't get cold hands holding it in cold weather. This was a big seller for me after my old hoyt.

jessbennett
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
The nice part about the element is you don't get cold hands holding it in cold weather. This was a big seller for me after my old hoyt.
for an extra 600 bucks, you can buy alot of dam fancy gloves........
rampage xt has the EXACT same specs as an element the only difference is the riser. same brace height, same ata, same speed, same cams same roller guard, same limbs, same grip. with a hefty savings of 6-650 bucks..

tundra
02-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Why buy a bunch of fancy gloves when I can buy a fancy bow that keeps my hands warm. I realize there is a lot of other bows out there with the same specs but none of them have a carbon fiber riser and I doubt any of them could endure the torture test that the engineers at Hoyt have done to the matrix/element. http://www.hoyt.com/videos/index.php?c=7a0c9ebfce6a4094bfc4d549ababf56b
for an extra 600 bucks, you can buy alot of dam fancy gloves........
rampage xt has the EXACT same specs as an element the only difference is the riser. same brace height, same ata, same speed, same cams same roller guard, same limbs, same grip. with a hefty savings of 6-650 bucks..

jessbennett
02-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Why buy a bunch of fancy gloves when I can buy a fancy bow that keeps my hands warm. I realize there is a lot of other bows out there with the same specs but none of them have a carbon fiber riser and I doubt any of them could endure the torture test that the engineers at Hoyt have done to the matrix/element. http://www.hoyt.com/videos/index.php?c=7a0c9ebfce6a4094bfc4d549ababf56b

oh i dunno, some people just dont have the extra 600 bucks to throw around for no real advantage?but hey i guess if you do, then super for you!!!! to each their own i suppose.i guess i just cant justify spending that much more money on something that you get no better performance from. the carbon line of hoyt is highly over priced as far as im concerned. but again to each their own. shoot what makes you happy. guess its about time hoyt changed the bridged riser that was designed by another company anyways.:wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
02-01-2012, 07:35 PM

do that to your bow when you get it ....

you see how often the bow actually leaves the frame of the camera .... the riser is tough sure ... but the limbs ... pockets and cams can absorb as much abuse as they could before ..... Buy a bow for for 600 less .. dip it into Invelvet coating for about a hundy and have a bow that stays warm .... honestly it dont matter ... cause if its cold out ... yer gonna be wearing gloves or freeze yer hand ....

GRIZZEZE
02-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Both of my buddies have the PSE Omen, one is last years model and the other is this years. Both bows are incredibly accurate to shoot. The draw cycle is a bit harsh, but you get huge speeds out of them. One of the bows ( the older one) is 60 lbs draw with 27" draw length shooting 335 feet per second over the chronograph. The other bow is 80lbs draw at 26 1/2" draw shooting 365 feet per second over the chronograph. I have shot both of the bows and even though the draw length is waaaaayyyy to short for me, I did like the way that they feel (I think that 80 lbs is a little much though). I have also recently shot a Elite bow and was very impressed with how smooth the draw cycle and solid back wall, just a over all joy to shoot. I would have a tough time trying to decide between these bows, thankfully I do not have the money to afford a new bow and don't have to make the decision.

jessbennett
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Both of my buddies have the PSE Omen, one is last years model and the other is this years. Both bows are incredibly accurate to shoot. The draw cycle is a bit harsh, but you get huge speeds out of them. One of the bows ( the older one) is 60 lbs draw with 27" draw length shooting 335 feet per second over the chronograph. The other bow is 80lbs draw at 26 1/2" draw shooting 365 feet per second over the chronograph. I have shot both of the bows and even though the draw length is waaaaayyyy to short for me, I did like the way that they feel (I think that 80 lbs is a little much though). I have also recently shot a Elite bow and was very impressed with how smooth the draw cycle and solid back wall, just a over all joy to shoot. I would have a tough time trying to decide between these bows, thankfully I do not have the money to afford a new bow and don't have to make the decision.

a bow is only as accurate as the person behind it. and a 26.5 inch draw at 365 fps? whether its at 80 lbs or not, that seems a little out there, but i could be wrong.
ive tried the omen at 62 lbs, and im gunna have to say that it has the most ignorant draw cycle of any bow i have ever shot. try shooting that bow after sitting in -15 celcius for an hour or two. that 60 lb bow is going to feel like you are drawing a 100lbs. there is quite a few other bows on the market that are very similar in performance, but are much more forgiving. i d sooner have a smoother shooting bow that may be 10 fps slower.
but thats just me. to each their own.

GRIZZEZE
02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
a bow is only as accurate as the person behind it. and a 26.5 inch draw at 365 fps? whether its at 80 lbs or not, that seems a little out there, but i could be wrong.
ive tried the omen at 62 lbs, and im gunna have to say that it has the most ignorant draw cycle of any bow i have ever shot. try shooting that bow after sitting in -15 celcius for an hour or two. that 60 lb bow is going to feel like you are drawing a 100lbs. there is quite a few other bows on the market that are very similar in performance, but are much more forgiving. i d sooner have a smoother shooting bow that may be 10 fps slower.
but thats just me. to each their own.

I know that is does not seem real, we were both surprised when we saw the actual numbers over the chronograph. The bow is rated at 366fps ( at IBO spec which is at 30" draw), but he is shooting arrows that are under weight of IBO spec. I tried shooting one of his arrows out of my bow and got an extra 23 fps over what I normally get. The highest speed that he achieved was 372 but the average is around the 365 mark. You don't have to believe me but I did see it with my own eyes on my chronograph

Rusty Shackles
02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
My new Omen is great. Yes 26.5"dl 80ish lbs 365fps on choreograph. Accurate like most people can't believe. I can't shoot my old faithful thunderheads 100s. Gonna try some slick tricks. Also going down to 85gr.heads. Should be in the high370s fps. First hunting trip out with it and got my deer. Put it this way, my Bowtech is now for sale.

Bow Walker
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
I know that is does not seem real, we were both surprised when we saw the actual numbers over the chronograph. The bow is rated at 366fps ( at IBO spec which is at 30" draw), but he is shooting arrows that are under weight of IBO spec. I tried shooting one of his arrows out of my bow and got an extra 23 fps over what I normally get. The highest speed that he achieved was 372 but the average is around the 365 mark. You don't have to believe me but I did see it with my own eyes on my chronograph
If he's continually shooting under-weighted arrows he's going to wreck his bow - and get one hellova nasty surprise one day.

nolan-sawka
02-03-2012, 12:56 PM
really no one mentioned the Z7 extreme....best bow iv shot so thats what i bought...super smooth fast deadly accurate ...was shooting my coyote target at 85 yards and could pin it everytime in the kill zone

arrowslinger
02-03-2012, 10:36 PM
My new Omen is great. Yes 26.5"dl 80ish lbs 365fps on choreograph. Accurate like most people can't believe. I can't shoot my old faithful thunderheads 100s. Gonna try some slick tricks. Also going down to 85gr.heads. Should be in the high370s fps. First hunting trip out with it and got my deer. Put it this way, my Bowtech is now for sale.
so you are shooting underweight arrows as well?

jessbennett
02-03-2012, 10:48 PM

shooting arrows below i.b.o. ratings will 1. destroy the bow. 2. put the shooter and anyone else around in danger.3. void the warranty. 4. does not show I.B.O. performance of the bow.( 30" draw at 70 lbs). also shooting NO less than 5 grains per pound. eg. 70 lb bow shooting a 350 gr arrow. from personal experience, its seems a pretty fair "guess", that for every 10 grains of arrow weight you lose, you will gain 5 f.p.s. give or take. so if you gained 23 fps, are shooting arrows that are WAY to light. and that is nothing more than playing with fire.
so your buddy should be shooting at least a 400 grain arrow at 80 lbs. keep in mind its pretty hard to brag up the shootability and smoothness of a blow that blows up in your face.:neutral:

TheProvider
02-03-2012, 11:44 PM
thats taking speed too far

tundra
02-04-2012, 09:05 AM
shooting arrows below i.b.o. ratings will 1. destroy the bow. 2. put the shooter and anyone else around in danger.3. void the warranty. 4. does not show I.B.O. performance of the bow.( 30" draw at 70 lbs). also shooting NO less than 5 grains per pound. eg. 70 lb bow shooting a 350 gr arrow. from personal experience, its seems a pretty fair "guess", that for every 10 grains of arrow weight you lose, you will gain 5 f.p.s. give or take. so if you gained 23 fps, are shooting arrows that are WAY to light. and that is nothing more than playing with fire.
so your buddy should be shooting at least a 400 grain arrow at 80 lbs. keep in mind its pretty hard to brag up the shootability and smoothness of a blow that blows up in your face.:neutral:

Don't forget the fact of nocking down a record book animal with under weight arrows the Pope and young rules will not allow you to enter it.

Blk Arrow
02-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Like most items, bows are personal. What feels good in your hand and suits your requirements (target or hunting)and fits your budget. Today's compounds are very well engineered. My buddy's new Supra draws smooth and is very accurate, in his hands.
Playing under the IBO recommended arrow weights is Russian roulette. The lighter your arrow is, the closer you come to dry firing your bow. From the 2011 PSE Manual
Always use an arrow that
is at least 5 grains per pound of peak bow weight. Failure to do so could cause personal
injury and damage to your bow.

Rusty Shackles
02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Off topic a bit but, just wanted to point out my arrow weight on my omen. It seems to concern some of you. My wieght is 4.3gr per pound. The way I see it I have a touch of leeway be cause of my short DL. As I see it the limbs and cables are only traveling at the same speed they would if it was set to IBO. let me know if I'm fooling my self. I'm not concerned about warranty. I will buy new parts if I see damage. And the last time I had an 85 lbs bow "blow up" nobody was hurt. In fact the only people I've ever seen hurt by there bows were Onita screaming eagle shooters. Again give me shit if I need it. Thanks.

Bow Walker
02-04-2012, 11:31 AM
It is never a good idea to push the limits - and 5gr per pound is a limit.

If your bow is 85lbs and your draw length is that short I'd think that the limbs are traveling a very short distance at a very fast speed and then they have to come to rest in a very short distance/time. Cannot be even remotely good for the bow.

Keep the cheque book handy - you're going to need it soon.

Rusty Shackles
02-04-2012, 11:42 AM
It is never a good idea to push the limits - and 5gr per pound is a limit.

If your bow is 85lbs and your draw length is that short I'd think that the limbs are traveling a very short distance at a very fast speed and then they have to come to rest in a very short distance/time. Cannot be even remotely good for the bow.

Keep the cheque book handy - you're going to need it soon.
Noted. Time will tell. I may go up to 125 tips as my front of center my my calculations is way low.

jessbennett
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Off topic a bit but, just wanted to point out my arrow weight on my omen. It seems to concern some of you. My wieght is 4.3gr per pound. The way I see it I have a touch of leeway be cause of my short DL. As I see it the limbs and cables are only traveling at the same speed they would if it was set to IBO. let me know if I'm fooling my self. I'm not concerned about warranty. I will buy new parts if I see damage. And the last time I had an 85 lbs bow "blow up" nobody was hurt. In fact the only people I've ever seen hurt by there bows were Onita screaming eagle shooters. Again give me shit if I need it. Thanks.

you cannot make up the fact that you have a short draw length with shooting your bow with dangerously weighted arrows. the reason that a 30'' bow is faster is because it simply put has a longer power stroke. you have no leeway whatsoever because of your little arms. sorry its just the way it works. you need to figure out the physics of these things before you go playing with fire. but hey no-ones here to give you shit. expressing concern and trying to save you an injury thats all. but seems as though you got it all figured out. pls be sure to post of a pic when your bow blows up so you others can learn from your mistakes. an ibo rating is a standard for ALL bows whether its a 20 inch draw or a 33 inch draw.
all i can say is enjoy your bow well it lasts. soon enough you will be able to upgrade to a new one.

on a side note, have you ever seen the damage a bow can do when it blows up? or when an underweight arrow explodes at the release? look up some pics online.

jessbennett
02-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Noted. Time will tell. I may go up to 125 tips as my front of center my my calculations is way low.

if your not concerned with shooting at a safe and proper arrow weight, i wouldn't worry too much about your f.o.c.....
thats just another useless calculation. im sure you will find some"leeway" in there somewhere.

uraarchr
02-05-2012, 10:07 AM
I saw a guys mangled face on a hunting vid once:they didnt say much except that his bow blew up.There are lots of guys that have prob survived a bow going to pieces but the chances of injury are still high.

Bow Walker
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
There were a couple of pics posted here showing a guy's bow-hand with a shattered carbon shaft stuck in it and poking out the other side - pretty messy.

Apparently took the doctors quite a while to get all the carbon fibers out of the hand.

The Hermit
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
What is the point at which speed, at the cost of weight, effects KE and penetration negatively? Begs the question too about repetitive stress injury in the shoulder from pulling really heavy bows, let alone the potential for fatal injury from explodiing arrows and bows! I want to be flinging into my eighties before having to go to a crossbow! ;-)

The Hermit
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Oh and to the OP's question about which is the best bow to "buy" I'd say the one that fits you well, is smooth to draw at a comfortable draw weight, is quiet, is easily worked on in the field, and is within your budget. Check out the Limbsaver line, they are highly regarded as one of the most shootable bows on the market and are very well priced against the big name competition.

Rusty Shackles
02-09-2012, 07:13 PM
I just check out the specs on the PSE revenge. I'd defiantly check that one out a bit closer if I was buying.

TheProvider
02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
the revenge is getting awfully tempting for moi