PDA

View Full Version : Pork shoulder

open-sights
01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
.98 / lb at save on Langley.

My question is, For those of you that have bought whole shoulders for sausage, do you gring the skin as well or remove the fat leaving a thin layer of rind to not go into the sausage.
I have always just bought pre ground pork so not sure what to trim, thanks in advance. Chris

eastkoot
01-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Remove the skin but keep all the fat you can below the skin.. And cut as close to the bone (if any) as possible without cutting little bits of grissel and bone into your intended sausage meat ..

labrador
01-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't think you can grind the skin if that is what you meant. Leave some fat or it will be too dry without it.

open-sights
01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Exactly what I needed, thanks guys!

bighornbob
01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
.98 / lb at save on Langley.

My question is, For those of you that have bought whole shoulders for sausage, do you gring the skin as well or remove the fat leaving a thin layer of rind to not go into the sausage.
I have always just bought pre ground pork so not sure what to trim, thanks in advance. Chris

The pork on sale is actually a picnic cut. Never knew what that was so looked it up. Its actually the bottom half of the shoulder with the butt roast removed (basically where half the meat is).

We saw them in the flyer in Kamloops and went into the store on saturday and they had the whole shoulders on for $1.30 lb. They never advertised these but usually they are $.99lb. We asked the butcher about the picnic roasts and he said they should be pretty big. He also said he would have the whole shoulder still on sale on Sunday so we could check out the sizes.

We went on Sunday and saw the $.99 picnic cuts and they were half the size of the regular shoulders, so we bought 10 of the shoulders at $1.30lb. Little pricier then the last few years but still cheaper then getting pork elsewhere.

BHB

Ddog
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
my SOF in cranbrook and kimberley just have the pork legs on sale for the $1.39, great for making the sausage but the most i have paid in the last 10yrs.
opensights----remove that skin!!!

jeff
01-16-2012, 04:52 PM
use the skin for pork rines ..deep fry strips of the skin with as much fat as possible ..yummmmmmyyyyyy

IronNoggin
01-16-2012, 05:29 PM
... deep fry strips of the skin with as much fat as possible ...

Actually, you WANT that fat to mix in with your sausage makings.
Quick & dirty trick to that: Skin without paying too much attention to the amount of fat leaving with the skin. Lay the skin fat side up, and run a fillet knife over it just as you would removing a fish fillet from it's hide. Mix the pure fat in with the balance of your pork. More Fat = Juicier Sausage!

Cheers,
Nog

01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Try pork shoulder in a smoker - 10-15 hours at 225 F and it will be ready. YUM!

Doe Eyes
01-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Just bought 6 of them on my way home....sausage making time!!!