PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Prostaff Scopes

mungojeerie
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there uses or has used any of the Nikon Prostaff scopes, they seem to get great reviews and are quite inexpensive.

Looking for first hand information on pros & cons. Im looking at purchasing a couple rifles in the next year, I would like both a .270 & a 7mm rem mag. I know that a good scope can almost be more important than the rifle, but Im also on a budget, would rather spend the money on the rifles right now and outfit them with decent scopes that I can upgrade in the future but that will perform well in the mean time.

My current rifle has a Busnell Trophy on it that I've been using for about 6yrs, it hasn't given me any problems. Not sure if Im better off going the Bushnell route again or another route... I have been looking at the Nikon's as an option.

Im also open to any other suggestions from people on decent scopes in that price range.

thanks in advance

Tikka270
01-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Nikon scopes are good quality, I have a buckmaster in 3-9x40. I don't think you can beat them in first and last light. They are good glass for a small budget.

Lionhill
01-15-2012, 10:34 PM
+1 Have a buckmaster 6-18 on a 17 HMR. Very clear optics I would compare to the older bushnell 4200 series glass (I have one of these too). In some of the longer scopes, they will only focus down to 50 yards as a minimum. If that is an issue for your choice.

LH

coach
01-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I can't report on their scopes, but my Nikon Monarch binos have been very good. I've got a few Redfield Revolution scopes and really like them. They are well worth checking out as well.

2x4x16
01-15-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a fixed 4-power on my Ruger 22. This gun has fallen out if the back of the truck, traveled about 1500 kms on the quad and still is perfect, even with the dent from the falling out of the truck incident. With this performance I not hesitate do buy another.

Mulehahn
01-15-2012, 11:10 PM
I have two. One on my .22 and one a built up savage that I have. I also have a bushnell 3200 on my main hunting rifle and would say the clarity and brightness of the nikon is far superior to the bushnell. I keep thinking I shoudl swap it but I use the savage for hunting yotes and find the BDC reticle to be great at range. The 3200 works in close for most shots on deer so I leave them. But would by another nikon in minute over a bushnell.

.330 Dakota
01-16-2012, 12:39 AM
I have a Nikon Spotting scope that is better than any Loopy I have looked thru and clearer than a buddies Zeis, by his admission.

bosca
01-16-2012, 12:46 AM
I did a lot of reading on most of the Nikon product lines and own a Nikon spotting scope and Nikon monarch binoculars. I can tell you that Nikon probably has the best glass 'for the money'. What Nikon doesn't have is decent customer support or warranty service. There factories distribution systems are mess right now.

If your choice is between Bushnell and Nikon than there is no comparison...Nikon is brighter and better built....but don't go back to Nikon with any repair issues...you could be waiting a very long time.

I personally bit the bullet and went with the leoupold for the comparable optics and superior product support.

Good Old Outdoors
01-16-2012, 12:48 AM
I have looked at the Nikons, they are nice but i like the Redfield Revolutions better, they are also cheaper.

Spy
01-16-2012, 12:56 AM
What kind of warrenty do they carry!

Tikka270
01-16-2012, 01:02 AM

I have never had an issue with one so I couldn't tell you.

Spy
01-16-2012, 01:06 AM
I have never had an issue with one so I couldn't tell you.

Thanks sounds like the best warrenty is one you never use!

bosca
01-16-2012, 01:08 AM

Life time....Which is how long it will take to get you scope back if you send for service.

Spy
01-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Life time....Which is how long it will take to get you scope back if you send for service.

My Zeiss has a lifetime warrenty to! I have been waiting nearly 7 months for a repair!

Tikka270
01-16-2012, 01:16 AM
I have had my buckmaster on a .300win mag, .270win. And a .300wsm. I have fired well over a thousand rounds with this scope on those rifles and have never had any issues with it at all. It's been dropped and held its zero perfectly. And like I said earlier it is one of the clearest scopes out there for the money.

Canadian Hunter
01-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Nikon Pro staff, for the price hard to beat. Nice little scope that you can get for under 150$ 3-9x40mm if you shope. I have one on my muzzleloader. The adjustements are right on and easy to fine tune. Its been good to me for the use I have put into it. You might want to have a look at Vortex. The truth is though if your going to put extensive use of your scope and rifle your better of going with higher quality optics. I've seen a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40mm for 399 to 450$ which is really nice for the price.

As a side note, Bushnell also has a incredibly unorganized and slow repair and service dep. from my experience.

Lionhill
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I'll add that Reliable Gun (site sponsor) has a great selection of Nikon products. Try looking trough one right beside another brand of the same magnification and lens size. It will amaze you when you see the difference. Everyone's eye is different. It's very important to try looking through a scope before you buy.

LH

BCMarc
09-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Bringing this one back to ask - for about the same price (give or take $10) would you look at the 3-9x50 or the 4-12x40?

mungojeerie
09-23-2012, 05:58 AM
I ended up buying the 4-12x40 for my .270wsm and the 3-9x40 rimfire for my .22lr. Have only done a bit of target practice with them so far. The 4-12x40 looks great on my rifle and feels great in use, I'm looking forward to putting it to use this season. I like the BDC reticle thus far.

Phreddy
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Haven't heard very many bad comments about Vortex. Been a major Leupold fan for years, but will likely try a Vortex next season. Good opitcs, great service time.