PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon guides

westhoyt
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Hi there, never been sturgeon fishing, looking for a charter ,is it best to go all day,or is 4or5 hours plenty of time,looking to go in spring. Thanks

IronNoggin
01-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Vic and The Ladz at STS offer a Great Package for Sturgeon. They are the Pro's! http://www.guidebc.com/

Several of their guides wander over occasionally to fish with me and get their Salt Water Fix in, and they are a Great bunch of Guys! If it were me, I'd go with them in a heartbeat. Oh, and go for the Full Meal Deal! You will not be disappointed!

Have FUN! :mrgreen:
Nog

01-16-2012, 03:41 PM
A question to add for you sturgeon guys. If you only had one day to do it when would you go?
I know the op wants to go in spring, but is that the best time to go?

BUCKJR
01-16-2012, 03:47 PM
A few good companies out there. I'm a little partial to BC Sportfishing Group though. (www.bcsportfishinggroup.com (http://www.bcsportfishinggroup.com)) Definitely reccommend a full day trip, it provides you the opportunity to move around and try different areas within the day. In the spring, the water levels fluctuate often and the fish move around considerably, the extra time can be invaluable to the success of your day in my opinion.

coach
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Fred Helmer knows this fishery as well as anybody: http://www.fredscustomtackle.com/Guided-Fishing-Trips_ep_45.html

wiggy
01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Id recommend Vic in the spring and do the full day up to Hells Gate; might not catch as big a sturg up there but the canyons are incredible

eric
01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Went with .....The Sturgeon Hunter....Last August, and never caught a damned thing.
Not sure if the timing was off or what have ya.

Going to be taking a Sturgeon fishing seminar with STS this April and will be dragging my own boat down to Lytton and trying that area out.

Watched BC Outdoors on TV and they used... The Sturgeon Slayer,.. looks like a good company to go with.

RayHill
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
A question to add for you sturgeon guys. If you only had one day to do it when would you go?

When the Sockeyes are in the river the sturgeon fishing is the best! IMO

BUCKJR
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Lots of variables as to when the best time of the year to fish is. Depends what the client is after. Some want nothing but LARGE fish, some want consistant action, some want to see the river and its sights and the fishing is secondary. Someone coming in the spring and expecting to catch double digit numbers like they did the previous fall may be dissipointed. Can it happen...yes but generally unlikely. Being educated on whats happening on the river and having realistic expectations will make the experience much more enjoyable for everyone. Just ask the guide or the company what one could hopefully expect. A quality company won't BS to get you on the water.

Fish can be caught all year however, the peak for numbers and large fish is generally the fall (September to Nov) coinciding with the influx of salmon in the rivers. With stating this, there is phenominal fishing to be had in the spring and summer with the opportnity to catch numbers and large fish. There is generally less people on the water(except when there is a sockeye opening) and the weather is pretty damn nice too.

ianwuzhere
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I went with sturgeon slayers for full day this summer! Nothing but good things to say.. Can go upper fraser or lower.. Upper fraser he has a guarantee catch.. (lillooet area)

Blair
01-16-2012, 10:35 PM
I went with STS in early May and also in the fall. Both times had a great day and got lots of fish.

01-17-2012, 09:48 AM
BuckJr,
Are you a guide or just love fishin' um?
I have been interested in Sturgeon for a while now. I want to go on a trip someday. And figure if there is a Sturgeon Guide on this site may as well check them out first!

srupp
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
hmmm Fred knows his stuff...as does Thomas..he had TNT marine....some great guides for sure...

Steven

Leaseman
01-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Fall is a guarantee for fish, as is most of the year..... early spring is also go but the weather can be pissy!

I like to start right at the beginning of March and usually get a couple of people out from Alberta since they haven't seen open water for a long time and a little rain and wind doesn't bother them.....:mrgreen:

April/May/June are usually all pretty good for me, weather picks up a bit, hopefully freshet has hit yet and the dinos are still willing!

Summer months are fun until it get hot... then I don't enjoy it.... too hot on still water makes me grumpy....:wink:.... I try to get a few of my clients out then and can do the sight seeing stuff and run the river a bit with some fishing and BBQ'ing happening!

September on is good with the weather, less boat traffic, lots of salmon around for bait and feeding the dinos.... best time of year for me, but it gets in the way of hunting!

Lots of good guides around, definately get a recommendation before you do go out as there is a lot of duds around (IMHO) that don't like to follow the written (and unwritten) rules!

I have taken out quite a few people of this (and other) forum and I am pretty sure they all have enjoyed and caught a few fish.....:wink:

Mike

doubled
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I have had trips with STS twice now. First trip was outstanding, second trip was ok.

Mike (aka Leaseman) took us out as well but we did not connect with anything then. I think Mike took us to his crap holes but who knows. :mrgreen:

01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks Leaseman, I know i have chatted with ya before about it but i kinda forgot what you said! My bad.....

Leaseman
01-18-2012, 08:40 AM
I have had trips with STS twice now. First trip was outstanding, second trip was ok.

Mike (aka Leaseman) took us out as well but we did not connect with anything then. I think Mike took us to his crap holes but who knows. :mrgreen:

Sure did Derek.....:wink:

Actually, that was one of the more embarrassing trips..... we had what, three of four boats out and one boat caught a fish........:-|??

Looking forward to this year.... hopefully my year to get back at it hard core!

ryanb
01-18-2012, 09:08 AM
September is the best time of year for both size and quantity I find. April and may are excellent months to catch lots too, but the odds of getting a monster are much smaller in my opinion.

dave_fras
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
i was actually thinking about doin it this spring as well! i actually heard u can do it from shore too! right where the coq river hits the fraser.... under some of the bridges in van! and in lilooet! i was fishing for pink last season and i had sturgeon jumping right in front of me all day!!

doubled
01-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Sure did Derek.....:wink:

Actually, that was one of the more embarrassing trips..... we had what, three of four boats out and one boat caught a fish........:-|??

Looking forward to this year.... hopefully my year to get back at it hard core!

That was a good time Mike, just giving you a hard time my friend. Was weird, the day before 18 sturgeon, next day one between four boats. Just goes to show you how fast it changes sometimes.

Will be trying to get out during the fall and tie into one of those big ones you keep talking about.

BUCKJR
01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes 835 im a guide, this will be my 12th year with BCSportfishinggroup/Fred's. I tend to agree with everything Leaseman has said, be wary as there is unfortunately a few duds on the water attempting to call themselves guides.

Barracuda
01-19-2012, 10:16 AM
if your local you can try it from shore several people do very well from shore.

How much is a guide? are you looking for the whole from a boat experiance or simply catching a fish?

ryanb
01-27-2012, 07:56 PM
I've caught a few fishing from shore while stopped having lunch, but at least half the time I end up having to jump into the boat to give chase. Hard to immagine not having a boat when you need it. I guess you can just break off if you need to, but that really sucks.

sky-gunner
01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
We did a trip with sts, full day, had 5 people cost u's all I think 150$ each. We hooked into about 17, we land about 12 if I remember correct, the biggest being 7ft. Had a awesome time and would book with them again, we went in April, and were told it would be slow. Lol boy was he wrong. But yea I would without hesitation recommend sts. Great day, awesome guide and really good memories. Haha one peice of advice though, roll with the fighting belt, they will call it a sissy belt, but your stomach and hands will thank you later, especially if you get a big one. Lol we heard sissy belt and were like Ahh we don't need that. Huge mistake lol.

Jetboater
01-31-2012, 06:33 AM
I work for STS guiding as a lot of the guys already on here know. This year should be an awesome season we have some great early booking rates coming out right now for boat shows and the spring. Cool part is we hunt and we fish so there is always good conversation while we are hooking fish. we have a new show airing with Mark pendlington Right now and have the fish'n canada guys coming back out as well. If you ask for me (Thomas) I will do my best to make sure you have a great trip!!!
our websites are
www.guidebc.com (http://www.guidebc.com)
www.hellsgatejetboattours.com (http://www.hellsgatejetboattours.com)
www.fishingvancouver.com (http://www.fishingvancouver.com)

just hunt
02-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Been with freds guys twice now and had a blast. 13 fish first trip with a couple double headers , 2nd trip was 17fish biggest was 7feet and maybe 400 pounds both trips were in late April ,fish are little sluggish ,the don't jump like ya see on tv.

NaStY
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM

Late summer or early fall is the best times and the biggest fish.............

shoot2kill
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Im partial to STS I take my guys every year for the past bunch of years and allways have a great time. Go all day too.

MtnBoy
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Go with Thomas...he's young and hungry...and will work to find them. Lots of my buddies guide and Thomas or Wade Gieno are some of the top boats.

Barracuda
02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
couple of questions . temperature for stugeons ?, went out last week and the water is super cold but did get a tug but no hook up , no repeat nibbles etc and secondly circle hooks, I gather they are meant to set with a pull and not a traditional hookset so does this mean you basically let them set themselves?

02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
42 degrees F and above for best results ..... although you may catch them in colder temps......

Circle hooks .......... DO not yank it and try a hard hook set while on nibble or subtle takes ......... let em eat it ....... like Hallie fishin......

CT

dwflyrod
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
give randy and crew @ ultimate sportfishing a go and have a great time

NaStY
02-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Great river fishing adventure's is also a good choice.

NaStY
03-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Great river fishing adventure's is also a good choice.

Also make sure you ask for Jeff as a guide.

Leaseman
03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
couple of questions . temperature for stugeons ?, went out last week and the water is super cold but did get a tug but no hook up , no repeat nibbles etc and secondly circle hooks, I gather they are meant to set with a pull and not a traditional hookset so does this mean you basically let them set themselves?

I am not partial to cirlce hooks because it takes some of the fun out of it!! :mrgreen:

Temp is fairly good now and going forward, fish are a little sluggish but will only pick up! I have found that you won't see them jumping until you hit water in the higher 40F range..... still get the great battles and long runs with some nice oolies for bait!

As far as guides go, you can't go wrong with Thomas....:wink:.... he is very good at what he does! Just watch out because there are some flaky guides that I have had the dis-pleasure of fishing near!

Get out there and try it.... I guarantee if you get into a nice fish you will remember it for a very long time.....:mrgreen: