PDA

View Full Version : Kuiu Chugach advice?

Call of the Wild
01-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Anyone would like to share their experience with the Kuiu Chugach jacket and pant. I followed the Kuiu blog last year and I’m aware of the product line, I bought a few items last year. A friend and I are looking to buy some top quality rain gear for our various outdoor activities. We’re going on different sheep hunts this year and we need new raingear. How good is the Chugach as raingear and can it be use as a jacket when it’s windy or colder days in early season to stay warm, is it multifunctional. My friend is also an Alberta full time guide and he’s wondering if he could use the Chugach as an outer layer from spring bear to September/early October. I would appreciate any advice if the Chugach is really worth it at that price and if it can stand to heavy rain, I expect sweating would occur just like any other rain gear.

vip_ruger
01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
a guy i was sheep hunting with last year loved it he used it lots as an outter layer and said the pant dont get u to sweaty either, i think there better then my sikta lite strom jacket just my thoughts i wish i would have waited and bought kuiu rain gear

The Hermit
01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I have the Chugach set and love it. It is not quiet so not particularly good for close encounter stalking unless it is really raining and noisy in the bush. I have mine in my pack all the time and if I'm sitting for a long time and the wind is blowing through the FirstLite merino then I put on the jacket and its all good again!

The Chugach is very well made, light, and so far dry as a bone... I live on the island ;-)

BTW - I had the Sitka rain gear... KUIU is tougher and again, totally dry from external elements.

pg83
01-15-2012, 03:23 PM
It's great raingear. It's good windbreak. It will not keep you warm when it is cold out as it's very thin, breathable material. I would highly recommend it for the price.

Blockcaver
01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Great rain gear as well as wind breaker. It breathes well too. I'd replace mine immediately if something happened to it, but it is tough too. Wore it everyday stone sheep hunting but one for two weeks.

Ambush
01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I bought the pants to try before buying the jacket. So far they've been great, good enough that I will likely buy the jacket now. But they are noisey. No big deal for rifle hunting, but not good for bow hunting when it's still.

The Hermit
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM
The other thing of note is the camo pattern and colour... it is probably perfect for its intended high alpine environment but it sucks in the forest... if you spend most of your time in the forests and cut blocks I'd get the solid colour and not the camo. I might buy a second set for the lowlands.

Eastbranch
01-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I use it as my snowmobiling jacket. Unreal wind and waterproofing. I'll be buying the pants for sure. Stuff is top shelf.