PDA

View Full Version : Spin Fishing Belize

mountainman
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm going back to Belize in April and I am thinking of doing some fishing without a guide. Does anyone have any suggestions as to lures for bones, permit, barracuda, snapper etc.

I'm taking a couple TFO ML spinning rods and will be pairing them up with a couple Ci4 2500's running power pro.

Just looking for some lures and such that I can use from the docks, wading, and from a boat if I do get a guide. Jigs, plugs, etc etc.

Amphibious
01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I grew up fishing tropical salt water. while we didn't have much for bonefish, many Jacks, Permits, Cuda and a variety of snapper constantly fell for Little Cleo and Williams spoons. I preferred silver & gold colors. anything flashy and moving fast will illicit a feeding response. standard jigs with a mister twister tail worked well too. we didn't have access to fancy salt-specific tackle so made do. Barracuda are the easiest fish to catch. hammer half a beer can over a hook and jig off the back of a boat. you'll catch lots.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Found this on the web.

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishbonefish.html

SPIN FISHING FOR BONEFISH: Spin fishing for bonefish can be very effective when done correctly. The most important thing to remember is that the presentation with a spinning rod is not as delicate as that of a fly rod. Great care must be taken to avoid spooking the fish.
Presentation: When fish are spotted, it will be important to determine what the fish is doing (cruising, tailing or mudding). If the fish are mudding in deeper water, you don't need to worry about spooking them - simply cast your offering within the "marl" and retrieve it.
Tailing fish are more wary so care should be taken to avoid spooking them. When presenting your lure, it's best to cast beyond the fish (over 10 feet with the line almost directly on top of the fish); then retrieve the lure directly toward it. When the lure reaches the vicinity of where the bone is feeding, slow the lure down and bounce it through its line of vision. If it doesn't respond, repeat the process until the fish spots your offering.
Cruising fish are the most difficult to catch due to their extremely wary condition. Once fish are spotted, you must be able to quickly and accurately place your offering well in front of its path (over 25 feet is safest). If the fish are continually spooking, try using a slightly lighter leader or a different lure.
Recommended Lures: Various lead head jigs, Spin Charlies, and live bait are the preferred choices. Lures/Jigs: The most popular jigs are 1/8 oz. bucktail Gaines Phillips Wiggle Jigs. Spin Charlies in pink, white/brown, and sand/brown are probably the most productive bonefish lure. Saltwater lead head 1/8 oz. jigs attached to 2-1/4" soft plastic Mister Twister type "grubs" are also a good choice. Grub colors: white, yellow, chartreuse, pink, smoke glitter, hot pink and yellow pearl.
http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishpermit.html

SPIN FISHING FOR PERMIT: The spin fisherman has a very good chance of taking a permit because of the option of using a live crab (hermit crabs work well) for bait. Crabs are a permit's one and only vice.
http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/art/killerpermitpicsm.jpg Presentation: Is the same as for fly fishermen but remember that the sound of a live-bait rig crashing into the water can scare the appetite right out of the most voracious permit. Place your cast no less than 25 feet from a cruising fish, allowing the crab to regain its wits before the fish gets to it. If the fish is hungry and the crab survives its airborne launch, the permit will usually pounce on the fly immediately. Make sure the fish has the crab for at least five seconds before firmly setting the hook.. The mouth of a permit is very tough and leathery, so set the hook repeatedly and never allow the fish any slack line or the hook may become dislodged.
Artificial Lures: Can also be productive but, like fly fishing patterns, must be presented and retrieved perfectly. As with fly fishing, artificial lures should be fished slowly and patiently. The presentation should "creep" along the bottom with frequent and sporadic stops and starts. Lures listed in the bonefish section in slightly larger sizes can all be productive. A spinning variety of the McCrab or a Gaines Philips Wiggle Jig 1/8 oz. (pink or White/Brown) are good choices. Live Bait: Small swivel, 1/8-1/4 oz. slip sinker and a #2 or #1 Mustad

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/fishother.html

Spin/Casting
Lures: Barracuda - Tube lures (green and orange) are especially effective, Zara Spook (see tarpon section), 5 1/4" Rapala Silver 9/16 oz. (Needlefish) Jacks and Sharks - Zara Spook (tarpon size/colors), Magnum Rapala (tarpon size/colors).

SSS

Spirit's Master
01-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Pretty much says it all there SSS, good find!

My parents live in Belize and I've had a few chances to fish the flats on fly and spin. One grand slam (bone, permit and a baby tarpon) but it took the entire trip to do it.

I'd go with the live crab on the spinning gear, if you can find it. You'll be surprised what you'll hook in to.

There are lots of Snook down there. They will go after surface and diving Rapala swim baits too.

Envious;

cwf

kennyj
01-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Great info SSS. Sounds like a blast.
kenny

capt.T
01-17-2012, 11:21 AM
buzz bombs, deadly dicks, and p-line jigs and lots of them. the hologram finishes pink, green and blue. jacks, cuda, bonito, tuna, grouper. the deadly dicks are a classic "casting spoon" in that part of the world. fish them faster then you would up here. if you get a boat try trolling them fast and jig while trolling with a beer in the other hand of course. have fun. you might be able to hire a boat without fishing gear for cheeper.