PDA

View Full Version : Distance from Road

Moose63
01-15-2012, 09:54 AM
On a typical hunt, how far from the road will you go?

Alpine Addict
01-15-2012, 09:55 AM
50-60 miles.

Amphibious
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
as far as I can.

Steelwheels
01-15-2012, 10:01 AM
On a typical hunt, how far from the road will you go?What do you class as a road??

weatherby_man
01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
as far as i can.

x2,,,,,,,,

Steelwheels
01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Go where there is no path and leave a trail

Fisher-Dude
01-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Depends on how much rope I have in the truck to pull my animals out. :D

Ddog
01-15-2012, 10:11 AM
generally i just keep walking and check the GPS once in a while to see, it usually ends up being anywhere from 2 ---> 10km

steelwheels-----here let this help you... ROAD--road noun
1 street, lane, avenue, boulevard, freeway, highway, parkway, thoroughfare, thruway, turnpike.
2 way, path, route, course.

338 whisper
01-15-2012, 10:15 AM
It depends on how far away the game is some times it hundreds of yards and some times it kms it all depends on were the game is. I have hunted elk in one spot and had to hike 3 hours up the nmountain an did not get the bull. The next day the same bull was two hundered yards from my truck at the base of the mountain. If I am just hunting /scouting I go as far as I can go and still be able to pack my game out if i get one.

jtred
01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
It all depends on how long I have and what I'm after. I typically hunt every weekend but mornings only so I don't get very far into the bush. I live in the central Kootenays so in as little as ten min from the house I can be parked and hunting. In fact the mountain right behind our house is probably one of my favourites and if I wasn't worried about freaking out the neighbourhood I could walk 5 min up the street and be on the mountain. On the few camping hunting trips I get in I try to get as far as possible. Right now I'm researching gear for backpack alpine trips so that should get me further off the road. It seems to me that a lot of guys are just cruising the fsr's, glassing the cutblocks, and very seldom actually leave the road or trail. I very seldom meet anyone once I leave the road, in fact this past season I ran into not one single hunter while I was hiking. There's a lot of country out there and hunters seem to naturally spread out.

carnivore
01-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I never leave the road, just drive back and forth until something steps out and then I blast it ( after determining that it is legal of course).

Steelwheels
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
steelwheels-----here let this help you... ROAD--road noun
1 street, lane, avenue, boulevard, freeway, highway, parkway, thoroughfare, thruway, turnpike.
2 way, path, route, course.

Like I said..."leave a trail"

elkdom
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Depends on how much rope I have in the truck to pull my animals out. :D

x2 ! lol but on a typical moose hunt I prefer 5/16 aircraft cable, and only shoot moose as far from the center of the road, as my winch cable will reach,,,

of coarse these methods are frowned on by some ? lol

,,,,,,,,, but about 30+ moose in my freezer over the last 35 years would be sufficient proof these methods are NOT totally reliable, :mrgreen:

r106
01-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Go where there is no path and leave a trail

Leave a trail eh?? You mean make a trail?

Early in the day I will walk further from the road but in the evenings I like to sit in a cutblock

Steelwheels
01-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Leave a trail eh?? You mean make a trail?

I suppose one could travel the same route back..??

Moose63
01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
x2 ! lol but on a typical moose hunt I prefer 5/16 aircraft cable, and only shoot moose as far from the center of the road, as my winch cable will reach,,,

of coarse these methods are frowned on by some ? lol

,,,,,,,,, but about 30+ moose in my freezer over the last 35 years would be sufficient proof these methods are NOT totally reliable, :mrgreen:

Does that mean that if you spotted a moose 1/2 mile away, you wouldn't go after it? (Assuming your cable is less than 1/2 mile long)

elkdom
01-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Does that mean that if you spotted a moose 1/2 mile away, you wouldn't go after it? (Assuming your cable is less than 1/2 mile long)

not for swamp donkey !, in many cases I couldn't be bothered to bust my a$$ and struggle working out a donkey, just pass the far away ones up, find one more accessible,

my typical moose hunt lasts about 3 or 4 hours from leaving my house until the moose is hanging in my butchers' cooler, skinned and quartered, and chilling out ! :wink:

goatdancer
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
As far as I get until it's time to head back to the truck.

moosecaller
01-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Far enough so my C/C clears the main logging road and then start calling for moose, down it goes and most of the time can drive the truck to the animal. Don't need to walk for moose let them walk to you they do a much better job of traversing the bush.

d6dan
01-15-2012, 02:13 PM
On a typical hunt, how far from the road will you go?

Only as far as my wheelchair allows.:-D. but if I could walk, it would be endless or I could just go hunting with FD and eliminate any BS....:mrgreen:

dakoda62
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
1/2 way, any farther your coming back

goatdancer
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Only as far as my wheelchair allows.:-D. but if I could walk, it would be endless or I could just go hunting with FD and eliminate any BS....:mrgreen:

I don't know about the "eliminate any BS" part...........

hunter1947
01-16-2012, 03:54 AM
I just head on into the bush and keep walking till I find what I am looking for could be 1 mile or 6 miles..

elkdom
01-16-2012, 07:27 AM
I just head on into the bush and keep walking till I find what I am looking for could be 1 mile or 6 miles..

do you always find "what" your looking for by the time you reach your 6 mile limit ?:?

hunting terrain is very diverse in most parts of BC, please explain how someone knows if they walked 2 miles or 3 miles ? or 1 and 3/4 miles or 2 and 1/2 miles :?

frenchbar
01-16-2012, 07:31 AM
most times i just lay in the ditch where the deer xing signs are along the highways ..and just pop up and shoot em when they cross the road . no walking for this kid ..

elkdom
01-16-2012, 07:35 AM
most times i just lay in the ditch where the deer xing signs are along the highways ..and just pop up and shoot em when they cross the road . no walking for this kid ..

better yet ? just pick them up after a 60 tonne Semi_Truck smokes-em doing 130 kph ! ,,,,,,,,,save $$$$ on ammo !:twisted:

frenchbar
01-16-2012, 07:41 AM
better yet ? just pick them up after a 60 tonne Semi_Truck smokes-em doing 130 kph ! ,,,,,,,,,save $$$$ on ammo !:twisted:

nah ..im sick of picking up road kill ...weak stomach.lol i will stick to the ditch ..

elkdom
01-16-2012, 07:46 AM
nah ..im sick of picking up road kill ...weak stomach.lol i will stick to the ditch ..

there's a lotta guys that are absolutely " thrilled " to be the "first one" to find some "road-kill" to photograph and pick up to take home,,,,,

there are threads about that quite often on here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:?

Caveman
01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm surprised I haven't read " As far as my shot" yet! :cool:

Typically I'll walk several km from the road, most likely just a huge circle, walking back to the road somewhere reasonably close to me truck

bosca
01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Depends on the terrain and if I'm hunting with a partner...I will usually walk 4 to 5 hour stopping often taking my sweet time and usually only in the mornings...At night I tend to stay close to the road and usually watching a nearby clearing or cut block.
I feel like I learn more when I,m on foot and can hear and see everything quicker. Nice to feel like you got a little bit of a workout to.

Islandeer
01-16-2012, 11:21 PM

Natural selection at work!

hunter1947
01-17-2012, 02:49 AM
do you always find "what" your looking for by the time you reach your 6 mile limit ?:?

hunting terrain is very diverse in most parts of BC, please explain how someone knows if they walked 2 miles or 3 miles ? or 1 and 3/4 miles or 2 and 1/2 miles :?

#1 No I don't find what I am looking for many of times after a 6 mile hike but it was fun looking for the one I wanted.

#2 My old garmin GPS is in miles it does not lie when I press the go to button to my weigh point at my truck my GPS tells me that is my weigh point to go back to in a straight line to my truck lots of times it says 4 miles but when you go up and down ravines left and right you put on way more walking distance then a straight line..

Many of times I and my brother where dropped of at the road mark and walked up and down mountains to get back to our camp at the end of that day our camp was 14 K from where we where dropped off that early morning ,go figure :mrgreen: I have been given a nick name over my years hunting it goes as said ,,,Chief eagle eye walks a lot :mrgreen: as I have gotten older now I limit myself to a much shorter distance of walking in the bush then I did in my younger years..