PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunters?

RoscoeP
01-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I was wondering how many coyote hunters were out there? I don't mean just shooting one while deer hunting etc. but actually going out to hunt them.
Any pointers you care to share and what regions in BC have more?(not looking for your secret spot) Preferred calibers, type of rifles, calls any info welcome. Thanks Roscoe

pronghorn
01-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Farm land works great some hay feilds with timber close,frozen lakes are also great,electronic call with decoys ,small caliber IE 223,22-250,243 so on.Theres yotes every where some are just harder to find than others.Good luck

d6dan
01-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Have a look at this website..Good stuff on there.

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca

Its a BC website..

Bc Deer Hunter
01-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Have a look at this website..Good stuff on there.

http://predatorhuntcanada.ca

Its a BC website..

Just signed up on that site thanks dan. :D, cant wait to shoot some yotes!

Drillbit
01-14-2012, 06:38 PM
4 so far this week.
Used to use a BDL 22-250 with HS mag system.
Switched to a Benelli R1 a few years ago. Might go to the Benelli MR1 now.

Not much else to hunt this time of year.

finngun
01-14-2012, 08:29 PM
4 so far this week.

Not much else to hunt this time of year.

wasky wabbits are always there:-D

Str8shooterbc
01-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I used to do a lot when I lived in Prince George. Almost all calling with a blow type call. We could not use electronic calls then. I hunted pelts and found a 22-250 too hot for the typical call in shot of less than 100 yards. It tore up the pelts. I settled on a 222Rem. I just never seemed to be able to find a 223Rem. I had picked up a Kriko full length stock and double triggers in 22 Hornet that was just great but we soon moved and I neve got to use the Hornet much.

My wife and I are planning some trips very soon. She is using the Hornet and I have a Sabatti Rover 600 DL in 223 I'm getting ready. The 223 is just right for 100 to 150 yard plus shots but is just a little much for 25 -40 yard shots typical when calling. We now have a Jonnie Stewart electronic caller with a good selection of calling sounds.

I used to use skunk scent to mask my odour and it worked great but I'm having a little trouble finding it in the LM. I guess I will get some when we visit the new Cablelas when it opens.

Try to get in front of something like a bush or evergreen tree and use face mask or face paint. Wear gloves and appropriate coloured camo. If you're in front of something you're not continually sticking your head up and down. Coyotes are very sharp eyed and that would be picked up right away and then GONE.

I found a lot of times the Coyotes hunted in pairs so expect to be circled from both sides at once. I tried to get a quarter crossing wind so I could watch the one side for the 1 coyote while I might catch the other on the opposite side.

If you cannot kill with the shot pass it - don't shoot - and you may get a chance in several days. If you are hunting with a partner one hunter use a rifle and the other a shotgun.

I have called in with duck calls while duck hunting. Just sound like a wounded duck. I used to get real results because no one though of it.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Ken Olychick

vip_ruger
01-14-2012, 09:36 PM
I kill quite a few every winter it passes the time waiting for hunting season to come, I use a howa heavy barrelled 22-250 with 45 grain varmits with a 6500 bushnell 2 x16 50mm,foxpro electronic call. For hand calls i use the black predotor quest ,good vantange point and kick the snow to make an area to lay. I usually start with a 45 sec sequence followed by a 5 minute break continued with a 45 second sequence, and usually sit on a stand for 25 min. I hope this helps.

Str8shooterbc
01-14-2012, 09:48 PM
vip_ruger, what does 45grain bullets driven a what has to be close to 4,000fps do to the pelts?? Mind you in a week or two the pelts will be depreciating in value so it doesn't matter.

vip_ruger
01-15-2012, 05:43 AM
It puts a hole in them thats forsure but I give mine to a local traper and he has no issuse with sewwing up a hole for a free plets. and ya they are 4000 fps but bullets are cheap and shot well out of this gun.

David Heitsman
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I have been getting into coyotes lately. I picked up an HS Precision heavy barreled varminteer in 22.250 for them. Last week in Mexico I called a coyote to 19 paces and put his lights out. I was just standing behind a tree and in he came. Later I educated a couple from the high rack at 275 and later at 300 yards.

Had a cool experience there as well. I had carried a chair about a mile from the ranch house to a field that had been bermed up to hold back the rains when they come. I sat behind a small bush and let a few calls loose with my rabbit in distress calls. Within five minutes I saw two real white ones charging right at me from about 300 yards out. They rolled into within 30 yards and I leaned forward into the tree steadying the rifle.

No matter what I did, I couldn't see the coyotes. I'd lift my eyes and they were right there yet couldn't pick them in the scope. The wind was very strong, me to them and they stayed still for maybe three seconds, turned and began trotting away. I had set the call down and when I picked it up and called again they were not having any of it since their nose had allready told them this was trouble.

I then realized that I had let the crew hunt rabbits with the gun earlier in the day and it was still set at 12 power and no wonder I couldn't spot anything. I might have had a double header. Might have even got two with one shot!

Anyway, it's good fun in the winter and you're helping out the game some, so get on out there.

91Jason91
01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
why use a small cal on them? I hit them hard with my 300RUM and let them know whats up

OutWest
01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Talk to nolan_sawka on here. He hunts them all Winter and has whacked well over 40 so far I believe. Takes a lots with the bow too IIRC.