PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a Bow or a Cross-bow

Rem 30.06
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I am contemplating getting into hunting with either a bow or a cross-bow. My friend and step-son are already into bow-hunting and I thought it would be nice to join them and open up a longer hunting season.

Some dealers tell me that a re-curve bow/cross-bow is better than a compound bow. Is this true?

There are soooo many brands out there. At Wholesale, they have PSE and Diamond and Excalibur for the Cross-bow (Axiom)

I really wanted to get a cross-bow, but, am undecided at this time. Any preferences and why?

I live in Kamloops.

TheProvider
01-14-2012, 03:22 PM
I used to have an excalibur, have no complaints about it. I only sold it due to I liked shooting a compound bow better. I don't think you'll find anyone that'll have anything bad to say about excalibur.

Try to go to a dealer who has both compund bows and crossbows. Shoot them bow and choose you preference. Once you decide on compound bow or crossbow then you'll have to shoot different brands to see which you prefer.

hunter1993ap
01-14-2012, 03:42 PM
a compound bow taakes more practice to be ready to hunt where a crossbow requires less. i like using a compound bow but i also enjoy shooting a lot as whell. if you have lots of time to practice i would go with a compound rather than a crossbow.

E.B.
01-14-2012, 03:50 PM
A compound bow is gonna be more fun to shoot than a crossbow and really does not take long to be efficient with it with proper instruction. Also quicker and easier to load, fire, and carry through tight bush. Enjoy

01-14-2012, 04:16 PM
I've shot both but now only use a cross bow. As mentioned compound bows take practive to master where as crossbow takes less experience to become profficent. Shooting a Ten Point crossbow and enjoy it. No matter which you go with, buy a case to protect your investment and carry your spare parts/tools. Kamloops will have stores that sell both and if you are ever in Vernon, Del Selins has a good assortment of both as well. You can pick up second hand archery gear at a really good price.... don't know why that is but have seen some kick ass set-ups go dirt cheap compared to what they were worth new.

Rem 30.06
01-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded to my post......I have a decision to make, but, will try both.

beeugle
01-14-2012, 08:57 PM
either is a good choice depending on how you are going to hunt, I have both and have taken game with both, I now prefer the compound over the crossbow, only because I found packing a crossbow somewhat cumbersome, and I listened to my hunting partner complain all season packing his compared to me packing a compound. If your in a tree stand the crossbow has it's benefits, less movement, leave it cocked,etc, for me, I've decided to stick with a compound, it is just more fun to shoot and has a certain feel about drawing it back and letting an arrow go that I find satisfying, and kind of addicting..... I take it camping in the summer and shoot, and yes you need more practice, but you seem to look forward to doing exactly that..... This is my opinion, probalby different than lots of others, but it is a personal choice, try them both out..... take them for a walk.. whatever you pick... good luck and enjoy it!!

Bow Walker
01-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Compound bow definitely takes more of a commitment to both practice and the desire to master a somewhat complex piece of equipment.

Crossbows can be "mastered" within one afternoon 0 if you are at all familiar with shooting firearms.

If you just want to extend your season, I'd suggest going with the crossbow option - you'll be far happier.

The Hermit
01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Technically BowWalker is correct in that you can become proficient in an afternoon of shooting a crossbow. However as an ethical bowhunter, you also need to clearly understand the limitations of your gear. For example, even though you might be able to get great groups at 60+ yards and know that a well placed bolt is lethal at those distances, shooting at live game beyond about 40 yards is not advisable. Even though the crossbow shoulders like a rifle, has a trigger and typically a scope like a rifle, the bolts still take a LONG time to reach their intended mark compared to a bullet... long enough that beyond 40 yards your trophy will hear the discharge and move causing a miss or worse. As with any archery gear, the International Bowhunting Education Program recommends that archers should never shoot at a moving animal and always take broadside or slightly quartering away shots into the heart/lungs.

Crossbows are bulky, heavy, LOUD, and much harder to carry around, and slower to load than a compound. Compounds take a little longer to become proficient with but not that much with modern gear. The new releases, sights, smooth draws and 80% let-off make for a fast learning curve. Same caviets as above apply but you might want to keep your shots to 30 yards for the first few kills... I find bowhunting much more exciting and therefore naturally with increased heartrate comes more chance of a bad shot. While crossbow hunters can be very successful they are typically ugly, smell, and have bad breath, and certainly go to hell in a handbasket. Most people understand that compound shooters are kinda average looking with regular sex appeal, but still kinda lack in the social graces and often end up in pergatory.

Recurves and Longbows are lighter than compounds, and since arrow speed is slower require heavier arrows to ensure good penetration. They take MUCH longer to become proficient enough to hunt with and ranges should be kept to 15-20 yards. IMHO they are WAY more fun to shoot and everyone knows that trad hunters have superior skills, are much better looking, have the cool factor, and in the end all go to heaven!

Onesock
01-16-2012, 10:02 PM
OK Hermy we're friends again!!!!

fireguy
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
I hunted my entire season with my crossbow this year, had lots of fun and didn't shoot anything, not that I couldn't have but passed on lots of smaller bucks that I wasn't interested in. Like has been said, either way you go you should take the time to know your weapon of choice and its limits. I have hunted with both and choose to hunt with a crossbow because it is bigger, more cumbersome and takes longer to load than a compound does. I like to add to the challange. As I do a lot of hiking when hunting I found a pack that allows me to carry my crossbow because it is deffinatly not easy to pack around.

BTW I shoot a Barnett Predator and love it.

Rem 30.06
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Another question, Can you use a cross bow in 3D shoots?
I do have a shoulder injury, my right one. I shoot left handed.
Last night we went to an indoor range set up by Kamloops Target Sports Assoc. I intended to re-new our membership in the organization and watch our 14 yr old shoot his compound bow.
Lo and behold, the next thing I knew, they found a left handed re-curve bow for me to shoot!!! This was my first time shooting a bow. I had what I thought good instruction and followed the instruction to a T, and, had alot of fun doing so. : )
Going to go look at compound bows possibly tonight at Wholesale Sports and will attempt a trip to Chase to browse through Tim's Archery while there and listen to what he has to say.Sonof000buck,shoot and he was pretty darn accurate!!!!

91Jason91
01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
go with a bow it takes more skill and feels better if you get something a x bow is kinda like using a gun more of the less

Bow Walker
01-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Cross bows are allowed at most 3D shoots, but check before you go, just to make sure.