PDA

View Full Version : Fishing/Crabbing/Shrimping around Victoria

North
01-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi,
I am down from the Yukon to live in Victoria for the Winter. My wife is going to school and I am getting bored on my evenings and weekends.

I was hoping to get some advice from locals on where and how to find shrimp,crab or fish in the ocean.

I have a smaller inflatable so can get out in the ocean but am pretty limited to where I can go. I do not have down riggers.

I am willing to drive up Island but would like to learn the area around Victoria if I can. Just looking to supplement the wild meat diet with some seafood!

Any advice appreciated. Thanks,

Andrew

dakoda62
01-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Use to catch a lot of shrimp and crabs off the government docks in Sooke.

steel_ram
01-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Use to do OK trapping off the James Island Wharf out Saanich. Can't remember when the shrimping season was. Fall?

Dragginbait
01-14-2012, 04:23 PM
If you want winter springs you can go put your boat in at Cheanuh marina and fish just outside of the bay at Fraser island and the Bedfords. It's not too bad around there for a smaller boat and some days it's like glass. Use hootchies or spoons (ask at the marina, they'll tell you whats working and what depths) I heard that the night bite is the best now so go give it a shot.
If its calm enough you can go around the Bedfords towards Church Rock and into Whirl Bay.

jeff
01-14-2012, 04:32 PM

you wont get any shrimp but will find prawns..north ,look up the thread ,saltwater fishing ..lots of good tips on there how to catch the winters

Spy
01-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Crabbing & prawning is always good in Brentwood Bay!Just check to see whats open!Its normally pretty calm in the Bay!The indian reserve Tsarslip nation have a boat launch you can launch there!
Victoria harbour is good for crabbing you can drop your traps in about 40 feet of water all the way out to the green can buoy, off the break water!You can also launch at Esquimalt anglers & jig for Salmon off the front,crabbing is good there to!If you need more advice PM me & I will give you my number!
Good Luck
Spy:-D

North
01-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Just back from my first Salmon Attempt. Caught one spring and a few crabs!

BBQ tomorrow night!
Thanks for the tips!

Spy
01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Just back from my first Salmon Attempt. Caught one spring and a few crabs!

BBQ tomorrow night!
Thanks for the tips!
Where did you end up Fishing/Crabbing ?

kyleklassen
01-28-2012, 08:45 PM
i was working on a dogfish boat nearly 20 years ago and one night we pulled into the govt' dock in sooke and guys were catching shrimp by the pilings with mesh covered bicycle rims.

porcupine
01-28-2012, 11:09 PM
The people at Island Outfitters can be really helpful and their guides are always posting on their facebook page.

http://fishingvictoria.com/

deer nut
01-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Don't know those waters but folks I know in Victoria catch salmon & halibut regularly. Island Outfitters on Douglas has a brag board. Talk to them & see if they can offer tips. Have heard Brentwood Bay holds some good prawn spots.

Now tell us you're heading back to YK for fall! God I'd love to hunt those giant moose there....

North
01-29-2012, 12:43 AM
I just went out from cattle point. Went out to Discovery Island then back towards the golf course. Trolling with a deep six, gibbs red flasher and an army truck hootchie. Crabs just near the boat launch at Cattle Point. Exciting times for a land locked Yukon boy in the hunting off season. Excited to supplement the wild meat diet with some seafood. Back up there in the spring and will have a full season planned of hunting/guiding.