PDA

View Full Version : Double Kill

markt308
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok i'm talking big game here boys, I don't care if you killed a rabbit and a grouse in the same day haha. Has anyone killed two or more big game animals in the same day? i have not, but I know many have. Would love to hear how it went down. cheers

Hunt'n Guide
01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Yep. Done it a few times. Shoot and deal with first animal, continue hunting, shoot second critter and deal with it. Take a few days off. Nothing like finishing a mixed bag hunt early.

elkdom
01-12-2012, 11:27 AM
2 adult bears, 1 brown color phase blackie, and 1 blackie, about 20 yards apart and a couple of seconds between the 2 shots/ 1 bullet each,(30-06) that sent them to the big garbage dump in Bear Heaven, 2 nice spring hides,
in those days the limit was 5 Blk Bears per year in BC,,

2 deer, a WT buck 4x4 a recall and a 3x3 muley buck, both in the same field feeding about 50 yards apart, 2 shots with .308 Norma Mag about 200 yards,
an easy 200 pounds of sausage and jerky !

Ddog
01-12-2012, 11:31 AM
was hunting a nice spot one evening and a beauty 4 point blacktail came into bow range and i had a perfect shot at about 30 yards, twang the bowstring hit my arm and the arrow flew into the dirt just under him, he stood there like a stump, second arrow thwack hit the only tree in front of him, third arrow zing right under him. at this point i am thinking what the hell am i doing, ok relax 4th arrow draw back, deep breath, hold relax pick a spot and twang hit my sleeve again, have no idea where that arrow went, now i am getting a little PO and thinking i have two arrows and i better not let this one get away,,, 5th arrow, ya thats right 5TH arrow knocked drawn hold, pick my spot release shwack..perfect shot dead centre of his body slightly back as he was just quartered a bit he ran for the trees and i saw the blood coming out, he's done, well i think i am going to need some help with this big guy, he's the biggest BT i have ever taken, on the way back to the truck a doe ran out in from of me trailed by a real nice 2 point BT, they never even saw me and i was in the open somewhat, walking down the edge of the field, they ran around with the buck trying to mount the doe every time she stopped, they went up to about a hundred yards from me then all of a sudden she started running right to me! i knocked my last arrow, stood there and watched, she made it to about 20 yards from perfectly broadside and then stopped , the buck right on her heels stopped right behind her, up with the bow, draw back take aim and thwack perfect broadside double lung hit. it was sure a quick 35 minute hunt to end my region 2 adventure.

sarg
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
In oct I shoot a black bear at 3:00 in the after noon, dealt with it and by 6:30 at night I had bull moose down, one of the best days of my life, it was my biggest bear to date and my first bull moose.
Sarg

Hombre
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
While hunting in the foothills of Alberta,I was stalking a Mule Deer buck , when a Moose jumped out of its bed.

Shot the Moose, gutted it, went 100 yds downhill to get help and jumped the buck I was after.

On another hunt , I shot a Whitetail buck in the morning, and killed a doe in the evening.

Lillypuff
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
2 whitetails for my buddy and I 10 minutes apart this year tiny 4points. 2 moose in the same morning when I lived in Northern Alberta. 1 wild bore and a rat mule within 1 hr of each other.

Brian011
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I never have but back when you could shoot 2 mulies, my dad shot one big buck, got up to it and there was another big buck fighting with the dead one so once he counted 4 point he shot that one too. One grossed about 180, the other was about 160".

Shooter
01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Here's my wife a couple years ago.. She shot both of these on the same day a few hours apart.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1020213.jpg

And here is another day. All different shooters on this day but these were all taken one morning.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1010084.jpg

Here's me as a kid also. My first deer ever along with a moose calf on the same day. Again different shooters tho.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/IMG-1-1.jpg

markt308
01-12-2012, 12:04 PM
I never have but back when you could shoot 2 mulies, my dad shot one big buck, got up to it and there was another big buck fighting with the dead one so once he counted 4 point he shot that one too. One grossed about 180, the other was about 160".

wow that's insane! a 160 and a 180 that's silly. My dad had a doe draw and shot a buck and doe that were together. this was years aago but pretty cool. no idea how big the buck was. probly nothing special.

CanuckShooter
01-12-2012, 12:09 PM
2 whitetails for my buddy and I 10 minutes apart this year tiny 4points. 2 moose in the same morning when I lived in Northern Alberta. 1 wild bore and a rat mule within 1 hr of each other.

2? Is that TWO moose in the same day??? Things to make a fellow go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Amphibious
01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
3 moose within 24hrs while guiding. that was a hellish day of skinning.

lots of 2 bear days.

markt308
01-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I was inches from having a double header day. morning unt I saw a shooter buck and he somehow eluded me. thought i would get him for sure but didn't evening hunt shot a spike fork moose. wasn't complaining!

swampthing
01-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Did a double on mulies back when you could shoot two. I was in the alpine and made a great stalk on one of my best mulies. Took him in his bed at 100 yards. I stood up to walk down to him and a young 3 point stood up that I hadnt seen. It was a backpack effort and I wasnt to keen on shooting two deer, but. I figured I would try a standing head shot and see what happened. Dammed if it didnt drop. The year before in the same area I took a small 5x7. A larger typical 4 point stood up and posed broadside for me. I was only packing one tag. These were all velvet mulies.

Sitkaspruce
01-12-2012, 05:11 PM
A 6'8" blackie and a 48" bull moose three hours apart....and the client was pi$$ed off. He thought the moose and bear were too small....after he shot them!!!!!

He gave me small tip and his buddy gave me a bible w/a $20 Can bill and some words on where I could learn to watch my language.......

They wanted to come back two years later, I said over my dead body....never heard from them again.

Me and a buddy shot 5 deer one day up in the Cayacuse back in the late eighties, 4 buck and a doe. Man I miss those days!!!!!!!

Cheers

SS

Drillbit
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Yep,

WhiteTails
Wolves
Black bears

Any coyote's too, but they aren't BIG game.

phoenix
01-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I got a second whitetail while I was still gutting the first back when we were allowed 2 whitey's. I ran into a couple of guys earlier this year who had 2 moose in the back of their truck by noon on the opening day, *******s!!!!!
Kim

Moose Guide
01-12-2012, 05:57 PM
4 moose sept 05 , 2 moose 06 , 3 moose 08(all guided hunts) my hunts-115 class wt(4x5) in the truck by 9:30 am, 140 class md(5x5) in the truck by 10:30 am nov.14/93-150 class md(9x9) in the morning, 120 class wt(4x5) just before dark nov. 24/91

tightgrouper
01-12-2012, 07:15 PM
I have been skunked so much that one of these days I am sure I will be skunked twice in one day.

quadrakid
01-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Had a scent trail laid down hunting blacktails with the bow. A small two point came in from behind me,so close i had to let him walk a few yards away from me before i arrowed him.I watched him get about twenty five yards away then go down. I was going to give him a few minutes so i lit a smoke. Had about three drags on the coffin nail when a buck came grunting in from the direction i was expecting one to come in.He stopped, i gave a little doe call and he walked right in. I blew the shot and hit him way back , into the hinds. I must have hit the femoral because i,ve never seen so much blood come out of a deer so fast. Nice size two point.

gcreek
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Does getting 4 out of 7 Rez dogs that were chasing my cattle one day count?

Have doubled on wolves once.

Wife went along (unarmed) with a friend who wanted a moose years back. They saw a nice little meat bull about dark. One shot, down he went and then immediately jumped to his feet. Another shot and down he went again. Almost identical bulls, good thing that I had a tag.

jeff
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
2 blacktail near squamish.one around noon ,next one right before dark .....2 blacktail in port alberni 20 years ago,both were together..2 moose ,one nice bull ,then while bringing it back to camp an immature was in the middle of the road ..

Drillbit
01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
HaHa gcreek, 4 outta 7 would've been some great action, good shootin'. Thumbs UP from me!

mwj
01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
2 coyotes with 1 bullet
2 four point whitetails 20 minutes apart still hunting.

Bigbullsh$tter
01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Two whitey bucks,one in the morning one before dark. Both from different tree stands 4 years ago. Actually used a fawn bleat to bring them both back into shooting range.

fireguy
01-12-2012, 08:32 PM
2 deer, one bull moose and 5 grouse in one day, not a bad day

CanuckShooter
01-12-2012, 08:39 PM

For one person? Or for your camp in one day??? Sounds like a hell of a lot of work for one guy.....;-)

CanuckShooter
01-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Wife went along (unarmed) with a friend who wanted a moose years back. They saw a nice little meat bull about dark. One shot, down he went and then immediately jumped to his feet. Another shot and down he went again. Almost identical bulls, good thing that I had a tag.

I guess that was way back when it was legal???

gcreek
01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
HaHa gcreek, 4 outta 7 would've been some great action, good shootin'. Thumbs UP from me!

The 300WM was a little warm all right!

fireguy
01-12-2012, 08:45 PM
For one person? Or for your camp in one day??? Sounds like a hell of a lot of work for one guy.....;-)

that was just myself, we got another bull moose the next day as well. I have been in on a few multi kills in a day with others in camp as well.

gcreek
01-12-2012, 08:45 PM

I guess that was way back when it was legal???

Before there was even what some would call a road in here. The mistake has happened before and will likely happen again, at least the meat was used. Right?

Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone.

markt308
01-12-2012, 09:12 PM

that would be a day to remember o say the least. wow. lot's of good stories popping up. if anyone has pics of these experiences i would love to see

bearhunter338-06
01-12-2012, 10:30 PM
10 grouse :-)

Lillypuff
01-12-2012, 10:38 PM
cs trying to stir the soup again 1 moose me and 1 buddy. Second moose actually danced with my buddy for a moment. He got run over while I was dry heaving

BlacktailStalker
01-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Two kills nope but two cats treed yes.

Always wanted to skewer two wolves with one bullet.

gcreek
01-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Always wanted to skewer two wolves with one bullet.

It's a good feeling!

91Jason91
01-13-2012, 12:19 AM
I got a 4 by 5 mully buddy got a 4 x 3 mully and another got a 1 x 1 spiker

hunter1947
01-13-2012, 03:15 AM
In the 70ties I shot a black bear ,RME ,Mule Deer ,WT deer all in the same day ,the elk hit the ground at daylight as we where taking the elk back to camp a WT buck was standing off the side of the road I got out of my truck loaded the rifle boom down goes the WT buck cleaned and loaded the buck into the back of th truck continued on for about 5 miles there was a mule deer buck standing on a hillside I got out of my truck loaded my rifle boom down goes the mule buck cleaned and loaded him into the truck got back to camp hung and skinned the 3 animals.

Went out for an evening hunt that night a decent size black bear came out into the cut block boom I took the bear that day I got 4 animals all in the same day I had a handful of days over the years when I have shot 2 or 3 animals all in the same day...

RBooth
01-13-2012, 07:52 AM
I was out of region trying to put some meat on the table and on the evening of my first day I shot a black bear at 4:30 then after getting him in the truck we went about 1minute down the road and took 6 shots at grouse (.22) then went around the next corner and there was a 2 point muley with a bunch of does that we had seen earlier that day and we got him by 5:30. Fun time for sure coming back home with two animals in the truck, not that they were monsters but they fulfilled my needs :)

island grown
01-13-2012, 09:52 AM
My Alberta hunt this year we took 3 mulie does that were all standing together. All fell where they were. When we walked through the field to them they were all within ten feet of one another. A few minutes to gut them out and in the stuck and all our mulie tags were filled.

We still had 2 whitetail doe tags and 2 whitetail bucks tags. The next day I took a small buck. 4 tags filled in two days and back to the island.
Was a great trip.

Cheers

trapperRick
01-13-2012, 10:03 PM
I have shot a WT buck and my MD buck, filled both WT doe tags and my MD doe tag in one day which makes 5 deer in one day all back home in the Cypress Hills Sask

fearless
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
I shot 2 fork bucks with 1 shot , both in the head.

6 K
01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
On the fourth day of a mountian goat hunt I finally squeezed on goat #54. four or five hours later my step father and I drove around a corner to see two bull moose walking down the road. We had all three skinned cleaned quartered and hung in the cooler in time for last call at the local rod and gun club.
Pretty cool day.

Had lots of multi kill days on the QCI

bisonhunter
01-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Two friends and myself knocked over 3 bison one afternoon, we were home before dark including the 40km sled ride out to the truck.
The gutless method is your friend.

BCRiverBoater
01-14-2012, 08:35 AM
We have taken two elk in the same day several times. We have even bugled in bulls why gutting out an elk that was shot just minutes before. Two years ago we were 4 hours from camp and cleaning up a nice 6 point bull. Why working on the elk we glassed several other bulls on the mountain side and could hear them bugling. So my buddy let out a call and within minutes we had a smaller 6 point come in about 300 yards away in the wide open while we were all talking and working on the bull. If we would have been closer to camp we would have dropped it but the long pack out made us think otherwise.

killer
01-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Have done it a few times the best and worst was just outside of hinton alberta,i had a buddy wanted to hunt before he went to work,so we each took our own truck so i could hunt till dark.We went to an area called hightower saw a few moose and deer during the day but no bucks or bulls ,late afternoon my partner had to head off to work so i dropped him off at his truck and headed back into the rolling hills.I dont think i went more than three or four km in when a great three pt mulie trotted out on the road ahead of me ,jumped out of the truck kneeled down and dropped the buck.Probably took an hour to clean and load this buck all happy i thought to myself wouldnt it be cool to shoot a bull moose now then really rub it into my buddy.I carried on for an hour or so decided it was time to start heading back ,turned around only five minutes or so later i came around a corner and there he is a small bull but all the better eating.Same deal jump out kneel down the bull is about a hundred yards out just off the road first shot drops him had to finish him with another then the work began took a while to gut and clean the bull by myself got back to town about eleven called my buddy at work he was like yeah right you shot a buck and a bull come on get a grip.I told him the buck is in the shed and we have to go get the bull when hes off,he was game after a bit of convincing.Rob was off at six am so after looking at the buck we headed out to get the bull ,on the way in we sw another small bull but decided one would be hard enough for two of us and let him walk.We got to the spot were my bull was and it was gone, someone during the night had backed up to the bull loaded it and effed off, man was i pissed.We did not pass anyone on the way in or see anyone the day before cannot believe someone would take another persons game but the only people that would have been out that way at night would have been up to no good .There was no way to load that bull by myself never thought in a million years that could happen but it can and has still want to kick those persons in the nuts.

elkdom
01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
2? Is that TWO moose in the same day??? Things to make a fellow go hmmmmmmmmmmmm

shocking events take place everywhere ,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, years ago a resident could shoot 2 GOS moose every year in BC,

now you know something,, you "didn't know" :?

freonguy
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Double Kill

On Haida Gwaii several years ago, I was looking for blacktails, drove around a corner, there was a nice fat doe standing on a 25 foot high bluff covered with salal. Stopped, put one in the neck, and another doe stood up 20 feet away and looked at me. Another round, same result. Cleaned them both, in the truck and on the way home, I jumped a spike - he ran to the side of the road. I got out of the truck, he stood with his head behind a 6 foot alder peeking out at me 50 feet away - trouble was for him, his whole body was exposed. Base of the neck shot dropped him instantly.
It was early October and warm as hell - got all three hanging in the doorless garage on 12 inch spikes pegged into the cedar beam that ran the middle of the garage, all nicely covered in cheese cloth to keep the blow flies at bay. Went in the house, cleaned up and after supper and took the dog out - she went nuts and was running around like nobodies business - Mr. Bruin had paid a visit - the largest doe was the item chosen - the spikes were bent straight down like they were made of lead. There were no drag marks to the game trail behind the house into the forest, you could see a bunch of flattened grass though.
I figured - easy come, easy go - nicest deer that bear ever got, just had to unwrap it and feast!

elkdom
01-14-2012, 03:02 PM
years back, near Bridge lake I shot a fork-horn bull moose about 10 am, feild dressed it and loaded and hung the moose back at camp, went out for the afternoon hunt, shot a muley 3x4 buck, field dressed him, loaded him and took him back to camp, hung him up on the meat pole beside the bull moose quarters,

about 7pm I look out the cabin window and a black bear is filling his face with fresh deer meat !!!,,

so I quietly opened the cabin door, and using my 30-06 at about 50 meters,,
I helped the thieving black bear finish FILLING his face !,, with a complimentary 180 gr Nosler Partition doing about 2800 FPS right between his eyes !

with the 180 gr Nosler between the eyes ?,, HIS face was now FULL :shock: !

so,,,,, a bull moose, muley buck, and 6 ft black bear, all in less than 10 hours,,,

the rest of the trip was uneventful except for the "Greenies and the "anti's" giving me the finger on way home to the Fraser Valley, with the moose, the deer and the black bear strapped on top of my 1977 Jeep CJ7 Renegade,,,:mrgreen:

250 sav
01-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Buck and doe 3 times in the '80's when does were GOS.
Buck and leh doe
6 multiple animal days within the hunting group with different shooters
2 really good preditor days with wolves

bcmulie
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I've yet to take 2 animals on the same day, but my dad shot 2 blacktail bucks first thing in the morning on opening day one year (a spike and a 2 point). Later that same morning I shot a big non-typical blacktail. We also had one day up north when we shot a bull caribou each, within a few seconds of each other.

Bcmulie

ryanshaw44
02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
My dad and I were out and I was walking back to meet him as he let off three shots. He had been watching two 4 point WT for 45 min hoping i'd come until one spotted him ( he was in the open) and started running. He shot the one one the run down a steep hill. As I was walking in I was the other one in the tree line and dropped him at about 100 meters. They were both down within 3-4 min and only 80 meters or so away from each other. Pretty great day!

houndsman
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Spring of 2009 Ikilled 2 black bear both over 7 feet & a big grizly all in 3 hours of hunting. Back in the late 80s I killed 2 blacktails with one shot this happend twice. In the fall of 2008 my frend & I killed two 2
point moose twins at the same time . 2 mountain goats same time . 2 caribou bulls at the same time .& a few times I have shot a buck only to have it get up again then shoot it again& find 2 dead deer
We have killed 2 or 3 big tom cougars in the same day several times.

chinook
02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Once got 2 BT's in a single day. No size to them, both deuces.

Also once got a mulie and a bull moose within a couple of hours of one another on the first day of the hunt.

02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Mulie Buck and Bull Moose, Bull Elk and G Bear.

CT

Johnny G1
02-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Up at Weeks lake early eighty's, shot a 2pt in the morning and retreived him in fireweed up to the top of my head, won't do that again I said, went back to same spot early evening and shot a 3pt. Guess where, in the same godam fireweed infested hole, was quite dark when I got him to the road, 300 yds of slugging through that stuff and to this day don't know how much I swallowed of them pretty red flower's, Never again 2 in one day.

trapperRick
02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I have shot more than one deer many times on the same day back in Sask, one trip I filled both my WT and both my mule deer for 4 in one day

Axle
06-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Back when you could take two whitetail {and there was way more bigger bucks around} I took two 140 class whitetails by 9:30 a.m. still hunting. They were about 1 hour apart and 150 yards apart. Since then I have had a dozen chances at double headers on whittails, but not legal anymore. I did take a 4x4 whitetail{120 class} and 4x4 mulie {140 class} 1 1/2 hours apart since then. Jumped the whitey hiking up the mountain, gutted it and left it for the trip out. Mulie was down at 9:30a.m. and did not finish dragging the whitey out at 6:00p.m. I have shot many whitetails in groups or pairs. If you can make a good killshot on the first one they usually just hang around. Many of times they have gone over to the downed buck and sniffed them. Mid October Elk hunting can be real good for mid to upper sized Whitetail bucks running in pairs.

matt420
06-18-2012, 08:14 AM
here is a double up of my and a buddys WT does
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/werr420/double%20ups/74514_491797474809_2144063_n.jpg

and here is one of our hunting buddys kids double up from out 2011 camping trip
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/werr420/double%20ups/293657_10150424789709810_415147033_n.jpg

6 K
06-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Mountian goat and bull moose made last call at the local Rod and Gun club on that one.
Got a five by five and a three by three blacktail hanging around together. Was very very late that day. Another couple blacktails a different morning.
It happens.

Jelvis
06-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Some two mule deer together ones .. Bam! .. Pow! .. a fair amount on two deer together ..
Hint: deer will follow one and other in a line front to back walking down trails then, you see and be quick
You could do the trick .. Bing ... Bang .. Boom! if yah need an x-tra shot.
Jel .. Back in the old days .. got one last year a 4x3 mule buck in one hour from Kamloops .. 1hr then BOOM!
Got a pair of blacktail two point bucks in the Fraser valley bedded by an apple orchard .. Crack! .. BAM!
A while back before they paved everything.
I use a Husqvarna 30 ot six, hand forged steel, with a 4 power B+L scope, Weaver tip off mounts, flip up semibuckhorn metal sight and has a detachable sling and a after market custom inch thick recoil pad.
A person can slide that Mauser action pretty fast if needs be, the Key, stay in control, aim good .. pull trigger crisply ..
Down it goes then on to the other aim in vital area, hold rifle firm and still, crisply pull trigger back POW!
Instant One / Two .. BOOM BOOM .. out go the lights
When your in prime mule country like the ridges along the North Thompson river hunting in a group spread out, you might hear then see mule deer jumping towards where your standing, stay slow, get rifle up, safety off, look then as the deer come closer kinda behind each other the buck will most likely be behind the others, he'd be last in line, sometimes not.
Always concentrate on the first one, pin point your cross hairs on the vitals, while your standing slightly by a tree, this way it won't see you and will run right by you, now swing with it cross hairs on the center of mass, front shoulder, pull. BAM! Now the deer behind it will turn and run to the one side, you put cross hairs on front shoulder and crisply pull the trigger POW! Make sure you swing through the shot or if you stop swinging, you will gut shoot the animal and it will run for miles with part of it's gut hanging out. Swing then pull .. CRACK!
SWING Don't Stop . Don't Stop .. Be a Swinger .. Follow through as you swing the rifle cross hairs on centre of muscle mass front shoulder, do not lead too far, four inch maximum from the front of the shoulder keep swinging follow through, KaPow!
Now you have to gut two warm animals, so get workin.

ufishifish2
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Would be pretty easy if you had two bison tags in your group.
Goatguy and I took 2 bison bulls 50 yards apart a couple years ago.
It wasn't planned and we weren't even hunting together, but it worked!!!